CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

597 posts
leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Cardiff bid for Sean Morrison

by leww_rfc » 15 Aug 2014 10:55

Do Cardiff have scouts? :lol:

Still can't believe this, £4m is daylight robbery.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Aug 2014 10:56

In purely financial terms, it's a great deal but, for fans, unless a transfer fee is going to be reinvested, it may as well be £40,000,000 or £1.

An average squad already ravaged by injuries has been further weakened.

I can't see us being outside the bottom six until 3-4 of our absentees are back and up to speed.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 15 Aug 2014 11:01

Schards#2 In purely financial terms, it's a great deal but, for fans, unless a transfer fee is going to be reinvested, it may as well be £40,000,000 or £1.

An average squad already ravaged by injuries has been further weakened.

I can't see us being outside the bottom six until 3-4 of our absentees are back and up to speed.

Have a look at the league table

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Aug 2014 11:03

I do agree to an extent that the fee is irrelevant to the fans if it's not reinvested but, realistically, this fee might mean we don't need to sell another of our important players like Karacan, Pogrebnyak, McLeary or Guthrie.

That might be money well spent if Hector or Ferdinand are able to step up to the plate.

As I've already said though, I do hope we use some of the money to bring in another centre half as the mix we're left with is a gamble.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Aug 2014 11:15

I think this is great news. 4M will pay half of Royston's salary whilst he sees out the season in the Under 21's and we can re-sign Gorkss on a free. Job done.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 15 Aug 2014 11:21

tee peg
Winston Smith
winchester_royal from what I've seen thus far he is an appalling manager.

He won the league twice and cup once in 3 seasons in Norway.

wow.

Norway isn't the most reputable league - but he did a very good job with Molde.
Just needs a little time to adapt. He does seem pretty naive when it comes to managing though...

Also: £4 million?!

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 15 Aug 2014 11:34

If the transfer does not go through I fully expect him to be involved in tomorrows game. He has asked to talk to them, however I do not feel he will move if Cardiff do not match his wages here and provide him with some assurances that he will be first choice.

That said, If it does go through I can only see some of the money being made available for transfer fees, this year more than ever premier league clubs are having to cull their squads and if players are not moved on in the transfer window it will be a bonus for championship clubs as more players will be made available for loan

I have no doubt that Adkins will want another centre half with experience to help the squad, as Ferdinand is a few weeks away from match fitness

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Aug 2014 11:40

Cardiff clearly have more money than sense. Morrison isn't worth £2m, let alone £4m. But fair fcuks, that's great business again by Nicky Hammond. Hector and Ferdinand will slot in nicely and we can either find a replacement or push Cooper into 4th choice. It's a season of transition for us anyway, so I'm not worried about this at all. £4m :lol: They're going to be pissed when they released how flat footed he is.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2014 11:42

SPARTA Cardiff clearly have more money than sense. Morrison isn't worth £2m, let alone £4m. But fair fcuks, that's great business again by Nicky Hammond. Hector and Ferdinand will slot in nicely and we can either find a replacement or push Cooper into 4th choice. It's a season of transition for us anyway, so I'm not worried about this at all. £4m :lol: They're going to be pissed when they released how flat footed he is.

What about Pearce? You'd drop Pearce? :|

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 15 Aug 2014 11:44

Yikes, to think how much they'd have paid for ALF if we hadn't been so desperate at the time!

I can't see it not being reinvested though - Adkins said that he hoped to get a couple more in but was conscious of FFP; if the money's come in through a transfer rather than new owners just splashing it, then it opens if ip for investment?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 15 Aug 2014 11:45

DaveBanana seems like the kind of man who doesn't take himself too seriously.

Come and join us over on AE, champ.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Aug 2014 11:46

Judging Solskjaer on his time at Cardiff is going to be a bit tricky as it sounds like a pretty mental environment to work in.

It does look like he's made a few odd decisions but you never know how much is the owner sticking his nose in. The biggest mark against him must be taking the job in the first place though.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 15 Aug 2014 11:49

mikey0406 If the transfer does not go through I fully expect him to be involved in tomorrows game. He has asked to talk to them, however I do not feel he will move if Cardiff do not match his wages here and provide him with some assurances that he will be first choice.

That said, If it does go through I can only see some of the money being made available for transfer fees, this year more than ever premier league clubs are having to cull their squads and if players are not moved on in the transfer window it will be a bonus for championship clubs as more players will be made available for loan

I have no doubt that Adkins will want another centre half with experience to help the squad, as Ferdinand is a few weeks away from match fitness

Cardiff will probably double his wages, don't worry about that! As for a short term replacment for SM, I would be surprised if we spent big. Hector is more than capable of slotting in and AF will provide suitable back up once match fit.
Last edited by M Brook on 15 Aug 2014 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 15 Aug 2014 11:50

It's very much a case of our loss and Cardiff's gain IMO.

I guess we'll just have to learn to live with the fact that the team are going to concede a hefty amount of goals this season. Adkins isn't considered a defensive type manager anyway but Morrison's departure will cause a central defensive worry or two that's for sure.

On the plus side, the tactics are almost forced that we try and outscore everyone so there shouldn't be too many dull games, although Cardiff have already tempered the goals for column by signing Alf - Taffy gits :|

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 15 Aug 2014 11:52

M Brook Carduff

M Brook, Spacecruiser appears to have compromised your account.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 15 Aug 2014 11:55

Green
M Brook Carduff

M Brook, Spacecruiser appears to have compromised your account.

Oops1 Corrected now. Thanks for the heads up and apologies to my Welsh grandmother.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 15 Aug 2014 11:56

Thats the sort of money I'd expect for us to agree to part with a settled first-teamer under a long contract - the upside is that this gives us an opportunity to build a defence that works, the existing back 5 were all strong individually but didn't click in the same way other successful defences in our recent history have, we might be able to add the missing piece that will complement Pearce better now.

From Adkins interview it seems like this was more a case of the player being too unsettled to rely on than the money being too good to turn down which is good in one sense but frustrating that Morrison didn't make clear to the management that if a club like this came looking he would be interested in talking to them, because a player like Alfie who was desperate to stay at Reading has been turfed out unnecessarily.

As for OGS, naive is the word, clearly doesn't understand what the Championship is like based on his tactics last Friday, their squad should be challenging for top two but I can see him being sacked by October.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Aug 2014 11:59

Nothing against Hammond but everyone saying well done to Hammond again seems a little over the top, Cardiff may have just put in a 4 million bid and we accepted could be nothing to do with him

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Aug 2014 12:03

WoodleyRoyal Nothing against Hammond but everyone saying well done to Hammond again seems a little over the top, Cardiff may have just put in a 4 million bid and we accepted could be nothing to do with him

Or perhaps there has been a series of negotiations between the two clubs and Hammond has squeezed an extra £m or two out of them. You're right that we don't really know either way though right now.

What will undoubtedly be the case is that clubs know they won't get players from us on the cheap because of the deals Hammond has done over the years.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 15 Aug 2014 12:04

Well done Hammond

597 posts