CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

597 posts
Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

by Simon's Church » 15 Aug 2014 19:47

Pepe the Horseman
Simon's Church Can't wait to see who the new scapegoat is when we concede softly tomorrow

Presumably Akpan will be playing.

Good shout

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2014 19:53

Why are people on here wetting themselves over the great deal negotiated by Hammond? Who is to say he had much to do here - Cardiff ask about him, Morrison finds out, Morrison asks to talk to Cardiff, no-one says no. Cardiff agree terms with Morrison, Cardiff offer an amount to RFC, Hammond can't believe his luck and accepts. End of. I very much doubt he was in massively long negotiations about the price tbh.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Aug 2014 19:55

Royal Lady Why are people on here wetting themselves over the great deal negotiated by Hammond? Who is to say he had much to do here - Cardiff ask about him, Morrison finds out, Morrison asks to talk to Cardiff, no-one says no. Cardiff agree terms with Morrison, Cardiff offer an amount to RFC, Hammond can't believe his luck and accepts. End of. I very much doubt he was in massively long negotiations about the price tbh.

When you want to buy something for a large amount of money, do you start off by offering way more than it is worth?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2014 19:55

And while I'm at it, LOL at all these terribly clever know-it-alls on here who are no hoping Guthrie will be back from injury because we need him, when last season they were mainly all bemoaning him as not being as good as he thought he was and blaming him for all sorts of errors.

Make your minds up gents. :roll:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2014 19:58

SCIAG
Royal Lady Why are people on here wetting themselves over the great deal negotiated by Hammond? Who is to say he had much to do here - Cardiff ask about him, Morrison finds out, Morrison asks to talk to Cardiff, no-one says no. Cardiff agree terms with Morrison, Cardiff offer an amount to RFC, Hammond can't believe his luck and accepts. End of. I very much doubt he was in massively long negotiations about the price tbh.

When you want to buy something for a large amount of money, do you start off by offering way more than it is worth?

Well, clearly their offer must have been close to the £3million plus add-ons (so discount this £4million bollox, because we may never get the extra million) or the deal wouldn't have been finalised so quickly as I believe someone else mentioned earlier today. I bet Hammond hardly broke into a mild sweat over these negotiations because Cardiff, for whatever reason, really wanted him and paid what they must believe is a fair price.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Aug 2014 20:01

And LOL at those people who don't realise many posters post different opinions on a forum and it doesn't mean anyone has changed their mind when someone else posts a different opinion.

Cardiff paying over the odds for Morrison is likely to be down to a lot of Hammonds efforts over both the short term Nd long term as Cardiff will have known it takes big bids to get our players.

Not sure why any Reading fan would really be against giving Hammond a bit of credit for our success at selling players, but different strokes and all that I guess.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 15 Aug 2014 20:15

£4M for Morrison? :shock: :lol:

Good luck and all the best Sean... 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Aug 2014 20:16

This is a fair punt by Cardiff-they sell their centre-back for £8 million and buy another one for £3 million.
We all know that he is not worth that much but to the outside world here is a player with some Premier League experience , who has been captain of his club and called up by Scotland.
This is what parachute payments also come in handy for whereas some other clubs just pocket the parachute money and......do very little to give themselves the chance of getting promotion.

I have no grievance with Morrison-£250,000 to buy, £3,000,000 to sell so he owes us nothing but it is a shame that we now sell 23 year-olds to bring in crocked 29 year-olds which IMHO is no way to build a team for the future.
I would much rather see us buying players from lower levels again, just as Bournemouth have done with the decent prospect Callum Wilson and Huddersfield did last season with Nakhi Wells and as we did previously with Alf and Morrison himself.

Dead-beat older injured players like Ferdinand are not the way forward IMHO but at least with this transfer Hector will get a couple of weeks to prove himself which might not have happened if Morrison were still around.
I wonder if anybody would pay such silly money for Pearce who, IMHO is no better than Morrison but is liked more by the fans because he fist-pumps at the end of games.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Aug 2014 20:20

genome More like CACKpan.

Yeah.

I went there.

Nice.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Aug 2014 20:28

Fcuk off Morro never liked you anyway

clauski

by clauski » 15 Aug 2014 20:44

Easy money - he's not that special. Well done the board, let's use it to fund a couple more acquisitions before the end of the month.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 15 Aug 2014 20:47

Victor Meldrew This is a fair punt by Cardiff-they sell their centre-back for £8 million and buy another one for £3 million.
We all know that he is not worth that much but to the outside world here is a player with some Premier League experience , who has been captain of his club and called up by Scotland.
This is what parachute payments also come in handy for whereas some other clubs just pocket the parachute money and......do very little to give themselves the chance of getting promotion.

I have no grievance with Morrison-£250,000 to buy, £3,000,000 to sell so he owes us nothing but it is a shame that we now sell 23 year-olds to bring in crocked 29 year-olds which IMHO is no way to build a team for the future.
I would much rather see us buying players from lower levels again, just as Bournemouth have done with the decent prospect Callum Wilson and Huddersfield did last season with Nakhi Wells and as we did previously with Alf and Morrison himself.

Dead-beat older injured players like Ferdinand are not the way forward IMHO but at least with this transfer Hector will get a couple of weeks to prove himself which might not have happened if Morrison were still around.
I wonder if anybody would pay such silly money for Pearce who, IMHO is no better than Morrison but is liked more by the fans because he fist-pumps at the end of games.

Kind of shit on your own parade there. We sold Morrison for a hefty profit because he clearly didn't want to be here and in doing so we now have the opportunity to give a young product of our own academy a go which, as you so rightly pointed out, he wouldn't have got otherwise. To supplement this promotion of youth we have brought in a widely experienced CB for nothing who still has a fair few miles left on the clock.

Personally I prefer this method compared to buying other clubs up and coming young players. The academy costs a lot of money and it needs to produce in order to be worth it, which by the look of things it now is.

Add to that the fact we may still look to recruit the likes of the alfie's and morro's of this world and we look in very good shape indeed.
Last edited by Drew_3 on 15 Aug 2014 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 15 Aug 2014 20:48

Probably the most expensive donkey ever to grace the planet

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Aug 2014 20:54

TBM Fcuk off Morro never liked you anyway

:lol:

Genius in its simplicity

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Aug 2014 21:21

Victor Meldrew called up by Scotland.

I do not remember this. I thought Morrison was eligible for England and Ireland but capped by neither?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Aug 2014 21:37

Victor Meldrew ... it is a shame that we now sell 23 year-olds to bring in crocked 29 year-olds which IMHO is no way to build a team for the future.

I feel like you got called on this exact point a few pages back, Victor. We didn't sell Morrison in order to bring in Ferdinand. Evidently the plan was to have both. If anything Ferdinand replaces Gorkss. It may have been better business for Cardiff, but let's get the facts straight.

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 15 Aug 2014 21:38

He'll always be shit

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Aug 2014 21:39

Victor Meldrew This is a fair punt by Cardiff-they sell their centre-back for £8 million and buy another one for £3 million.

Love the way that there's no negative reaction towards Cardiff (selling an excellent player and buying a duff even though you admit said duff is way overpriced) but you find all sorts of angles to criticise Reading...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Morrison has GONE

by Nameless » 15 Aug 2014 22:06

Ian Royal
Elmer Park No one yet. The move came about very quickly so Adkins hasn't had a chance to identify a replacement yet.

Sorry, but if your scouting network isn't keeping tabs on players you'd be interested in for every position then it's incompetent.

There will be scouting reports on hundreds of players and probably Atkins will be able to put a wish list together quite quickly. But to think that the club has the resources to update this stuff in real time is being a bit optimistic. Looks like Cardiff fell into the trap of working off less than current info on players....

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Aug 2014 22:32

Royal Rother

Love the way that there's no negative reaction towards Cardiff (selling an excellent player and buying a duff even though you admit said duff is way overpriced) but you find all sorts of angles to criticise Reading...

"Excellent" and "Duff" are yet to be proven and they are £5 million better off.
Anyway what do you know about the Football League, I thought you were all loved up with pub football?.
Oh and, stop stalking me the minute I post anything.

597 posts