CONFIMRED - Glenn Murray on loan

1020 posts
Rollerbob

Re: CONFIMRED - Glenn Murray on loan

by Rollerbob » 19 Jan 2015 10:33

Sutekh Sorry but Murray improves our current squad, whether his value is worth £2M of course is another matter....

Nailed it.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 19 Jan 2015 10:36

Signing Keith Scott would improve our attacking options too, doesn't mean it's a good idea

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 19 Jan 2015 10:46

Armadillo Roadkill
biff phucking christ. the guy was a cut above, running his socks off surrounded by useless players providing no service. Going back to Palace will be a breath of fresh air for him, he'll flourish. good luck to him

Agreed. He didn't have to run around aimlessly for 95 minutes to be trying. He used his energy intelligently. He had some games better than others. But he was by far our best player up front - and he made the players around him better (I'm thinking especially of Cox).

I'm on dangerous ground here, but I'm inclined to agree with Ian - even if I'd try to be a little more diplomatic in how I express it . The standard accusation of a player "doesn't try hard enough" is like the one about having a manager having "no passion" to explain poor performances. They are phrases bandied around all too often with little real understanding. Not to say they're never wrong, just that they are easy to use by someone with little real insight into what is going on.

Some players do run around constantly and the contribution isn't always effective (yes, I'm thinking of you, James Harper). Others work harder than seems physically possible and make outstanding contributions (Shane Long anyone). Others can amble around looking bored then turn a game with an act of genius (Cureton or Le Fondre).

HRK does look like he's no trying though....

On a completely different subject sorry, went and watched Basingstoke town on Saturday, where James Harper is now. He was very average if not poor, certainly didn't look like an ex-prem player

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jan 2015 10:50

Big Foot Signing Keith Scott would improve our attacking options too, doesn't mean it's a good idea

Would be a lot cheaper than Murray, and we could use the extra cash to improve other parts of the squad.

Jano

by Jano » 19 Jan 2015 10:52

2m, silly wages and almost certainly a long term contract? Crazy. Almost as bad the contract Pog was given.

Coppell's Ghost

by Coppell's Ghost » 19 Jan 2015 10:55

This is SC's window, I want to see what/who he can bring to the table, I can't imagine buying back a loaned player was part of his interview pitch. Put £3M on his table and see what he brings us..

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Jan 2015 11:00

Interesting that it's those who like to pose as the grown ups in the village who are advocating signing the 32 year old for £2 million and spunking a further million or so on his wages.

Particularly given their propensity to lecture over the folly of such a transfer policy coupled with the sky high cost of wages.

Personally I would either try to get Murray on loan again until the end of the season, after which several top earners will be cleared out over the summer. Or take the risk of relegation, not sign him and rebuild properly in the summer with younger options who would have some value to us in the future.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jan 2015 11:00

Jano 2m, silly wages and almost certainly a long term contract? Crazy. Almost as bad the contract Pog was given.

Would imagine it would be an 18 month deal, surely?

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 19 Jan 2015 11:02

I've consistently been against paying that sort of money for someone his age. However, having watched the games since he's left, I must confess to feeling a sense of excitement when I read this news (particularly with an in form McCleary storming down the wing).

Jano

by Jano » 19 Jan 2015 11:05

Sanguine
Jano 2m, silly wages and almost certainly a long term contract? Crazy. Almost as bad the contract Pog was given.

Would imagine it would be an 18 month deal, surely?

Can't imagine he would agree to that, especially considering there are supposed to be other teams interested in him.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 Jan 2015 11:10

sandman Interesting that it's those who like to pose as the grown ups in the village who are advocating signing the 32 year old for £2 million and spunking a further million or so on his wages.

Particularly given their propensity to lecture over the folly of such a transfer policy coupled with the sky high cost of wages.

Personally I would either try to get Murray on loan again until the end of the season, after which several top earners will be cleared out over the summer. Or take the risk of relegation, not sign him and rebuild properly in the summer with younger options who would have some value to us in the future.

A rare +1

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jan 2015 11:24

Difficult to couple criticism of spending money on a (albeit older) goalscorer with the suggestion we 'risk relegation', and the financial implications of that.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 19 Jan 2015 11:56

sandman Interesting that it's those who like to pose as the grown ups in the village who are advocating signing the 32 year old for £2 million and spunking a further million or so on his wages.

+1

Or, use the Murray money to sign someone who's career is on the up - Eoin Doyle from Chesterfield would be my choice.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Jan 2015 12:17

Another +1 for the Sandy love in. Don't see the value in spending £2m on Murray, especially as there's no realistic chance of a play-off challenge this year.

However, saying that, in terms of current ability he's probably head and shoulders above anyone else we'd be able to get in this window so if a sensible deal is to be done then I'm all for it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jan 2015 12:22

Have to agree with those who say that for all that Murray improves the squad, £2m + what would be relatively high wages doesn't make financial sense.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Jan 2015 12:54

Get him signed up. We're literally desperate for options up top.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Jan 2015 13:16

I can't imagine we'll spend as much as £2m on a 31 year, nor should we really.

We really could do with Murray back though, but not at a silly price like that.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Jan 2015 13:21

No Thanks

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Jan 2015 13:35

Murray isn't needed for a playoff push - he's needed to help us stay clear of the relegation zone. Given that any proven goal scorer at Championship level is going to cost millions, £2M and wages makes perfect sense given where we currently sit in the table and our difficulty in scoring. With McCleary now able to provide the service Murray will start to have a field day and Cox will benefit from a partnership with him too.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Jan 2015 13:48

From Despair To Where? Have to agree with those who say that for all that Murray improves the squad, £2m + what would be relatively high wages doesn't make financial sense.
Nor does relegation and that's what we're looking at without goals.

£2m for a proven player who can score goals in our team versus <£2.0m for a player who could be another Drenthe and not feature/cause disharmony and fail to deliver - It's a gamble either way, especially if the signing gets injured.

Hammond might even be able to structure the deal so that we pay less than £2m if we are relegated and more than £2m if we get promoted.

I also see Kebe has been told he can go, perhaps we can offer to take him back on loan and help showcase him for potential buyers - assuming he's as good as he was before he left.

1020 posts