Hammond car boot sale

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr Irascible

Hammond car boot sale

by Mr Irascible » 15 Aug 2014 16:29

I want Nicky (isn't that a bit of a childish name?) Hammond to come round my house and sell some stuff. Anyone who can get £4m allegedly for Sean Morrison must be a top salesman. Over the years he has managed to offload some dodgy goods at high prices. Kitson, Hunt, Halford also come to mind as getting more than they were worth at the time. My only concern is that we never seem to have anything to spend. Deals on Doyle, Long and now Morrison show that we can identify players and move them on at a good price but will this year's team be merely a shop window for next year?

Anyway I have some old bikes, a Nordic ski machine, black ash furniture, old lawnmover...Nicky give me a call!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Hammond car boot sale

by maffff » 15 Aug 2014 16:31

Hughes.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 15 Aug 2014 16:41

How much for the old bike?

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 15 Aug 2014 16:43

What size?...I think I have 4 in there!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Aug 2014 17:41

Mr Irascible Kitson, Hunt, Halford also come to mind as getting more than they were worth at the time.

Not the best examples, except Hunt. Kitson went for about market value (compared with the fees for the likes of Michael Chopra at the time, or Doyle a year later). Halford went for about what we paid for him.

Mills and Morrison are both exemplary business (in what world is Morrison worth more than Mariappa?), but the best one has to be Sonko. £2m for a completely incompetent defender (post-injury). He was worth less than Hughes and we got a huge amount. Stoke paid £143k for each league appearance from him... and he's only made 90 appearances for any side since we sold him, half of which were in the Championship and a quarter for a struggling Turkish club.

Actually I'm not sure if that really is better business than Mills, but it is certainly pushing it.

jazz

by jazz » 15 Aug 2014 19:42

Hammond seems good at defence, not so good at offence, in NFL speak.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Aug 2014 20:49

SCIAG
Mr Irascible Kitson, Hunt, Halford also come to mind as getting more than they were worth at the time.

Not the best examples, except Hunt. Kitson went for about market value (compared with the fees for the likes of Michael Chopra at the time, or Doyle a year later). Halford went for about what we paid for him.

Mills and Morrison are both exemplary business (in what world is Morrison worth more than Mariappa?), but the best one has to be Sonko. £2m for a completely incompetent defender (post-injury). He was worth less than Hughes and we got a huge amount. Stoke paid £143k for each league appearance from him... and he's only made 90 appearances for any side since we sold him, half of which were in the Championship and a quarter for a struggling Turkish club.

Actually I'm not sure if that really is better business than Mills, but it is certainly pushing it.

Although you're right that we got what we paid for Halford, that was after a complete failure of a time with us. I would say this is one of his greatest achievements. Keane must've been on something at the time ...... :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Aug 2014 22:12

It wasn't really a complete failure though, we had a lot of right backs (Murts, Della and Bikey) and he didn't break into the side. He played one match and, aside from a handball in the box, had a good game. And he was gr8 for the reserves.

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 16 Aug 2014 22:10

There are few players who have gone onto greater things, Kitson was never the same, Doyle had a good spell, Halford we were glad to get the money back, Long is still doing well, but overall I am pleased with Hammond maximising the proceeds. Time to go with a man's name though! :-)

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 16 Aug 2014 22:30

Gylfi's doing OK for himself

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1