Adkins - Pros and Cons

847 posts
The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Adkins Dire

by The Prisoner » 05 Oct 2014 10:46

Feck me. Someone's being playing too much FIFA.

Adkins has had no money, most of these aren't his players, we are still within striking distance of the top 6, and we still have a load of injuries.

All managers make mistakes & we are clearly in transition.

Sacking the manager because we matched Wolves, were unlucky against Leeds & made some errors against Brentford. I despair of some of our fans. Feck off back to your Xbox.

Lacoste

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by Lacoste » 05 Oct 2014 10:53

TBF the mark or a good manager is to spot deficiencies and improve it, like our defence.

He is unable to do this.

He walked into a good side at Southampton with players playing well well below where they should be. He is out of his depth here.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 05 Oct 2014 11:05

A good manager would sort the defence...its that simple

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Oct 2014 11:14

Lacoste A good manager would sort the defence...its that simple

It's not the defence per se it's the lack of any defensive support in front of it, leaving it badly exposed, that's the issue and this is largely due to the horrendous catalogue of injuries going on and on and on and on at the moment.

No calls can be made against the manager, in my opinion, until this time next year when he has had a chance to use the financial support we should now have to change the squad and been able to bring on the younger players more though games with us and out on loan.

Expectation this year for me is mid table obscurity and perhaps a run in the FA Cup if we can get good draws.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 05 Oct 2014 11:16

Sutekh

It's not the defence per se it's the lack of any defensive support in front of it, leaving it badly exposed, that's the issue and this is largely due to the horrendous catalogue of injuries going on and on and on and on at the moment.

No calls can be made against the manager, in my opinion, until this time next year when he has had a chance to use the financial support we should now have to change the squad and been able to bring on the younger players more though games with us and out on loan.

Expectation this year for me is mid table obscurity and perhaps a run in the FA Cup if we can get good draws.

Hey we lost a game, you know damn well it`s the end of the world when that happens, we don`t need people like you and your sensible comments on here.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Oct 2014 11:17

Lacoste TBF the mark or a good manager is to spot deficiencies and improve it, like our defence.

He is unable to do this.

He walked into a good side at Southampton with players playing well well below where they should be. He is out of his depth here.

TBF he can only work with what he has got and it would be an extreme understatement to say that he is not exactly spoilt when it comes to a choice of defenders!

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 05 Oct 2014 11:19

RoyalBlue
Lacoste TBF the mark or a good manager is to spot deficiencies and improve it, like our defence.

He is unable to do this.

TBF he can only work with what he has got and it would be an extreme understatement to say that he is not exactly spoilt when it comes to a choice of defenders!

We could always pick Ferdinand..oh wait :shock:

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 05 Oct 2014 11:37

Sutekh

Although im not calling for his head just yet, I do believe Adkins has some responsibility in our recent form. Currently we are playing with widemen almost wide forwards and behind them attacking fullback/wingback. This combination isn't doing us any favours in the defensive department as our current regular fullbacks Obita and Gunter although great going forward are not the best defensive players, coupled with the fact Blackman/HRK are not covering defensively as they are pushed far up the pitch and are not defensive minded players, this leaves vulnerabilities down the the wings and makes us look very narrow. Last season Obita looked better at left back because he had a more defensive winger in McAnuff to cover his defensive liabilities and he played more often in a 442. Adkins needs to either change to a formation that supports his weaknesses or play a left back that's defensively solid in this formation... but he failed to sign one left back in the summer.

I think we can all appreciate that we haven't got great Centerbacks as Pearce is our only fit experienced one and even he has his faults. Adkins didn't have many options in Central defence from his first day but what we did have last season and season prior, in Morrison and Pearce was a partnership (all be it a very slow tank like one) but nevertheless better than what we have today. The fact is that Adkins has not replaced Morrison and plays the the kids with little or no experience in a position in my opinion requires experience is his own doing.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Oct 2014 11:56

Royal Dee
Sutekh

Although im not calling for his head just yet, I do believe Adkins has some responsibility in our recent form. Currently we are playing with widemen almost wide forwards and behind them attacking fullback/wingback. This combination isn't doing us any favours in the defensive department as our current regular fullbacks Obita and Gunter although great going forward are not the best defensive players, coupled with the fact Blackman/HRK are not covering defensively as they are pushed far up the pitch and are not defensive minded players, this leaves vulnerabilities down the the wings and makes us look very narrow. Last season Obita looked better at left back because he had a more defensive winger in McAnuff to cover his defensive liabilities and he played more often in a 442. Adkins needs to either change to a formation that supports his weaknesses or play a left back that's defensively solid in this formation... but he failed to sign one left back in the summer.

I think we can all appreciate that we haven't got great Centerbacks as Pearce is our only fit experienced one and even he has his faults. Adkins didn't have many options in Central defence from his first day but what we did have last season and season prior, in Morrison and Pearce was a partnership (all be it a very slow tank like one) but nevertheless better than what we have today. The fact is that Adkins has not replaced Morrison and plays the the kids with little or no experience in a position in my opinion requires experience is his own doing.

Could it be that Adkins hasn't been allowed to replace Morrison (JM still seems very much in day to day charge with his 'Reading way') and therefore has no option but to use the players that he is?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 05 Oct 2014 12:16

Well actually we did replace Morrison. with a injury prone crock

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Oct 2014 12:24

MmmMonsterMunch I think perhaps "Adkins Dire" is a harsh thread title however.....

It is abundantly clear that many of us feel a little disillusioned at the moment & it's definitely not a knee jerk reaction off the back of yesterday.

From my perspective, I could not bloody wait for August. Was keen to see the kids get a go, see some decent quick passing football and all that jazz but it seems to be steadily getting worse.

We don't look like we're learning, we don't look like we are gelling as a team, the goals conceded get more comical by the week & frankly I am getting quite bored of watching us play.

We have no cutting edge at all & other teams seem to be much more effective with their possession of the ball than we are. It all smells a bit Rodgers again but dare I say we actually probably looked a bit better then than we do now :shock:

The fact we are not 23rd is testament to the utter turd standard of the division this year. Yes, yes, someone says that each season I hear you say, well so what, it's fcuking true & pretty much every team is dump.

Strange that, given how so many people, experts included, have been remarking on the very high quality in depth of The Championship this season.

windermere_royal Well actually we did replace Morrison. with a injury prone crock

Ferdinand? Signed long before Morrison went and I am pretty sure he wasn't signed with the intention of him replacing Morrison on a regular basis. His signing also looked to have the hand of Samrit all over it, rather than him being someone who was on the top of Adkins' wish list!

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 05 Oct 2014 13:02

Just how long have we got to give him? Oh, let's wait til it's too late shall we....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Oct 2014 13:24

percy_freeman Just how long have we got to give him? Oh, let's wait til it's too late shall we....

Well in which case I would say that gives him a couple of seasons in the job because there is no way, with proper backing from the new owners (and that doesn't mean 10s of millions), that he is going to take us down.

And who would the idiots that are calling for his head put in his place that a) have a better record b) wouldn't want a very significantly larger transfer budget than Adkins has been given and c) are available and would be prepared to come to Reading?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Oct 2014 13:36

Don't know why you have to call people idiots just because they have different opinion on Nigel Adkins to you, you're a very angry man RB.
Last edited by sandman on 05 Oct 2014 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Oct 2014 13:44

Not calling for his head at all but I have to confess he is p1ssing me off a little at the moment.

Can someone please explain why we are getting worse? Against poorer opposition no less...And what about the horrible team selection yesterday? Cox has been the stand out player so far & yet he was dropped.

RB - your comment about experts saying there is quality and depth this season is :lol:

All the games I've seen thus far have generally been garbage & we've been a massive contributing factor to that.

You know you're in trouble when Huddersfield come to town & look like world beaters in comparison to us.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 05 Oct 2014 13:51

MmmMonsterMunch Not calling for his head at all but I have to confess he is p1ssing me off a little at the moment.

Can someone please explain why we are getting worse? Against poorer opposition no less...And what about the horrible team selection yesterday? Cox has been the stand out player so far & yet he was dropped.

RB - your comment about experts saying there is quality and depth this season is :lol:

All the games I've seen thus far have generally been garbage & we've been a massive contributing factor to that.

You know you're in trouble when Huddersfield come to town & look like world beaters in comparison to us.

The championship is about the same quality as last year (apart from the top two) when we missed the play offs by a whisker. no figures to confirm mine or your opinions. just IMHO. And Huddersfield have done very well the last few games showing they are no mugs

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 05 Oct 2014 14:09

Royals boss Nigel Adkins was left ruing defensive errors that cost his side any reward from a visit to Brentford this afternoon.

"It’s frustrating, annoying because we’ve been in good form," he began his post-match analysis at Griffin Park.

"We knew Brentford would be good; we were here last weekend to watch them play Leeds United and they were excellent, so we know they’d want to go and play - and they hit the post in the first minute. So take nothing away from them, they are a good footballing side.

"But the top and bottom of it is you can’t give goals away like we have today. You've got to stop the cross and then defend the cross if it comes in. We can't allow easy balls into the box - there have been too many all season. We've identified it early, we need to be better, we'll address it and we'll work on it on the training ground.

"We had a lot of possession and had our chances, we created good opportunities at times. Ryan Edwards I think had four shots either on the edge of the box or inside the 18-yard box in the first half, Nick Blackman has made the keeper make a couple of saves, so it was there for us to go and capitalise on.

"But when you give the goals away we’ve conceded – it changes the complexion of the game and makes it a real challenge to come back. We put ourselves in a situation we shouldn’t have done with two awful goals.

"We made a couple of substitutions at half time and we were on the front foot when Coxy goes and scores a good goal. We had the momentum. We had 15 corners in the game, but you have to go and win the game and put the ball in the back of the net.

"We’ve had a lot of pressure but the third goal saw us off. Is it a free-kick? Nine and three quarter times out of ten the referee gives a foul, but you have to abide by his decisions so it's irrelevant now. Bottom line is we have not done enough to win a game of football today."
Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... xbhTApS.99

Shut up Nige you delusional cun t :lol:

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 05 Oct 2014 14:35

Lacoste Royals boss Nigel Adkins was left ruing defensive errors that cost his side any reward from a visit to Brentford this afternoon.

"It’s frustrating, annoying because we’ve been in good form," he began his post-match analysis at Griffin Park.

"We knew Brentford would be good; we were here last weekend to watch them play Leeds United and they were excellent, so we know they’d want to go and play - and they hit the post in the first minute. So take nothing away from them, they are a good footballing side.

"But the top and bottom of it is you can’t give goals away like we have today. You've got to stop the cross and then defend the cross if it comes in. We can't allow easy balls into the box - there have been too many all season. We've identified it early, we need to be better, we'll address it and we'll work on it on the training ground.

"We had a lot of possession and had our chances, we created good opportunities at times. Ryan Edwards I think had four shots either on the edge of the box or inside the 18-yard box in the first half, Nick Blackman has made the keeper make a couple of saves, so it was there for us to go and capitalise on.

"But when you give the goals away we’ve conceded – it changes the complexion of the game and makes it a real challenge to come back. We put ourselves in a situation we shouldn’t have done with two awful goals.

"We made a couple of substitutions at half time and we were on the front foot when Coxy goes and scores a good goal. We had the momentum. We had 15 corners in the game, but you have to go and win the game and put the ball in the back of the net.

"We’ve had a lot of pressure but the third goal saw us off. Is it a free-kick? Nine and three quarter times out of ten the referee gives a foul, but you have to abide by his decisions so it's irrelevant now. Bottom line is we have not done enough to win a game of football today."

So he`s a c*nt for telling the way he saw it rather than, "we will take the positives and move on"? only one c*nt I can see in this quote, and it`s certainly not Nigel

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Oct 2014 19:27

windermere_royal
Lacoste Royals boss Nigel Adkins was left ruing defensive errors that cost his side any reward from a visit to Brentford this afternoon.

So he`s a c*nt for telling the way he saw it rather than, "we will take the positives and move on"? only one c*nt I can see in this quote, and it`s certainly not Nigel

Ryan Edwards?!??

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Oct 2014 19:48

Can we just stop calling everyone a c*nt?!

847 posts