BFTG - Brentford

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

BFTG - Brentford

by Hendo » 04 Oct 2014 17:47

Well on the train back to reading but for what it's worth ...

At brentford station so will give my early view on today's game. Gave away 2 very poor goals in the first half but looked good going forward, deserved to be losing at half time but maybe by only 1 rather than 2. Changes at half time made a big difference, cox and mackie both improved things and came together for the goal. Second half was a considerable improvement and we deserved to get another goal to make it 2-2 which on balance would have been a fair result, 3-1 sounds like they battered us, which they didn't.

Hector was poor today, couldn't pass and couldn't tackle. Norwood had a quiet game but probably stuck out as such due to him having excellent performances in the previous games I have seen. Everyone else did enough and on a different day we would have done enough to draw or even get the 3 points.

But that's football.

N.b. Had a lovely pint and burger in the magpie and crown. Highwire FTR.

Nomad_Royal

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by Nomad_Royal » 04 Oct 2014 18:07

May be on the same train as you but not sure if I was watching the same game. Thought we were very poor, dire in the first half. Some improvement second half ( Mackie & cox) should have started. 2 points from 12 is poor but the worst thing is the number conceeded.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Oct 2014 18:42

A 'home' game for me so back quite quickly.

First half was very poor and, with hindsight, probably warranted the 'what the f*cking hell was that?' from our fans as the players and management walked off at half-time (I didn't join in at the time as felt it slightly harsh). Looked a very different team with the introduction of Cox and, the previously much maligned, Mackie. Quickly got a goal back and were all over Brentford, forcing their manager into two fairly quick substitutions. Created some good chances and won countless corners but failed to capitalise on them. Their defenders tried their hardest to help us score - their right back headed narrowly past his right post and the reaction from him and his keeper immediately after suggested that he had no real idea where his goal was at the time! Two other defenders then went close with 'shots/clearances' past the left post!

I think Adkins is the best man for the job but was surprised when he subbed Kuhl for Pog when we were looking much the more likely team to score. The change seemed to help Brentford and their third goal effectively killed the game off. However, from our end, it looked as though the scorer had his hands firmly on the shoulders of our defender and was climbing on him to score - was surprised that the ref didn't immediately blow for a foul but only Norwood appeared to remonstrate with him.

Talking of the ref, he was absolute shyte. Just a few examples: First half he was late spotting a foul against us and then blew to call back play when we were still in possession and breaking forward - just to irritate our bench even more, he then held up play whilst the offending Brentford player received treatment with a couple of yards of the touchline when he clearly wasn't badly injured. Second half, Blackman stumbled to the ground under pressure on the edge of the box - not a freekick even from a Royals' biaised view but the ref bizarrely justified his decision by indicating that the defender on his back had played the ball when he was clearly nowhere near it. Kuhl's booking looked harsh - probably given to try to justify the award of the freekick in the first place. The booking for Cox for a small push/trip also looked very harsh. Mackie appeared to be the victim rather than the instigator of some physical stuff but still went into the book with the offender.

Oh and I'd forgotten what it was like to be knocked down several rows of terracing when we score!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2014 19:06

Absolute dire first half defensively. No bite in midfield and the centre back pairing is now a failure. Every attack we looked so vulnerable through the middle. Full backs fine but no partnership there with Hector and Pearce. Comedy errors for both goals.

That game was perfect for Akpan. Shame he was injured. Game to far for Kuhl and no good playing him with Norwood.

Strange starting line up today.

Kanu ineffective and made of glass.
Edwards ineffective and a paperweight.

Really looked forward to today and got sold that damp squib!

Jumbled up review but then that sums up the performance.

Good night!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Oct 2014 19:14

Blackman was utterly abysmal today. Always looking for a free kick/pen rather than showing some final product.

Mackie played well when he came on and Norwood was good again.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Oct 2014 19:19

Pepe the Horseman Blackman was utterly abysmal today. Always looking for a free kick/pen rather than showing some final product.

Mackie played well when he came on and Norwood was good again.

Norwood ended up being our spoiler/ball winner in midfield as well as the playmaker. Put in some crucial challenges. Didn't think HRK was too bad. Blackman decision making questionnable, particularly when well placed. Edwards works really hard, shows some really good touches but is far too lightweight, particularly given the make up of the rest of the team, and his shooting is far too weak and wayward if he is going to be played that far forward.

Three decent loan signings could make a massive positive difference to the team. However, the lack of any movement on that front, suggests to me that JM is still busy telling his co-chair what she thinks!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Oct 2014 19:25

I thought we were the better team for large swathes of the game but as usual we were leaky in defence and lacking cutting edge in attack. Just so lacking in pace and drive both in midfield and attack which makes us one paced and occasionally clueless once we're chasing the game. Edwards was a little unlucky to be hauled off at half time imo as he did some tidy stuff but he is lightweight and needs a spell out on loan. Likewise with Kuhl.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2014 19:30

Mccleary and Williams will totally change the dynamics of this team along with a decent centre back to replace Pearce.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Oct 2014 19:31

paultheroyal Mccleary and Williams will totally change the dynamics of this team along with a decent centre back to replace Hector.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Oct 2014 19:36

Prematch 10/10 we went to the Globe. Managed to avoid Floyd secreting programs in plastic bags about his person and fraternising with the locals.
Fans 10/10 cracking atmosphere in the away end
Team 1/10 we barely turned up and were 2 goals behind to utter shit defending against a lame attack. A slight sniff of getting back into it after our goal before we gifted yet another goal.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 04 Oct 2014 19:41

If we had approached the game with a back 4 in control of defending in and around the penalty area we would have come away with a well earned point today. I am all for accepting mistakes as we go along this season with a younger squad but the hard work has to pay off on the training ground in the end.

Pearce looks like a lead weight which only conspires to make hector unsure of himself. I wasn't overly impressed with Brentford, we both look like mid table teams at the moment yet our leaky defence especially away from home looks like putting more pressure on our home performances. At times we knock it around and from wing to wing quite confidently but I still don't think we are anywhere near as clinical as we should be - pog squaring it late on when he should have shot an example.

The lineup today was definately not right and Mackie and cox can look forward to a starting spot next time round after encouraging displays. Mackie has been a touch unfortunate to be on the bench so hopefully he can kick on. I really despair with hrk, overweight and ineffective and once McCleary is back I would get rid. Blackman wasn't great but still makes things happen at times and can at least beat his man. I thought kuhl still has a lot of promise but Edwards will struggle to get a look in when our cm's are all back.

I still wonder what plan b we have up front if Murray gets injured or we need an extra man up top-pog appears to be struggling but its options at cb we desparatly need if the current pairing cannot learn from their mistakes- Ferdinand being able to make an impact is anyone's guess..

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 04 Oct 2014 20:03

I'm not sure the ref knew why he booked Cox as it looked like Cox kicked him to me. If he's seen it it's red.
Back for were shocking today, we need a CB asap and Gunter needs to get stronger.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Oct 2014 20:17

Nothing special about our attack. Defence is the wrong kind of 'special'.

Blackman is a greedy, cheating oxf*rd. Now he's taking set pieces as well!
Murray has looked fairly oxf*rd each time I've seen him!
Shocking selection in dropping Cox!
Pogrebnyak afraid of shooting when in on goal!

Adkins' results have not improved this season, I'm afraid. Doubt he'll still be here come 2015.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 04 Oct 2014 20:29

Missed first 15, but the rest of the first half was dreadful. Summed up by whoever shouted "Jesus, you can't even kick off properly" after an aborted restart following their second goal.

Second half was a lot better, the third goal was a real sucker punch at a time when it looked like we might get something from the game. Looked a nailed on foul from the away end as well.

Thought the referee was terrible.

Reading fans were pretty good, Brentford fans were awful.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 04 Oct 2014 20:45

9 year old WJ Jnr went with his granny as his birthday treat. He couldn't believe the ineptitude of the referee, thought the booking of some of the Reading players was very harsh and that he generally gave everything to Brentford.

His best player: Obita, honourable mentions to Cox, who scored the best goal of the game, and Mackie
His worst player: Blackman. "He just hogs it, tries to skill everyone up, instead of passing or shooting and then just loses it. Rubbish!"

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 04 Oct 2014 22:22

'Ollie Norwood's having a party...'

8)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Oct 2014 22:23

Jamie Mackie was having a party where we were.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 04 Oct 2014 22:34

Shit team, full of shit players, with a shit manager watched by shit fans who constantly make shit excuses for shit performances. What makes this current crock of shit even more frustrating is knowing how good we have been in recent times and how far we have fallen. I have had a 40 year love affair with this club and followed them everywhere through thick and thin, never have I been so disillusioned with RFC as I am now, there soul has gone out of this club and probably actually football in general. Sad times for me, never thought I would lose the passion I have carried with me over the years.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 04 Oct 2014 22:45

poohs pure Shit team, full of shit players, with a shit manager watched by shit fans who constantly make shit excuses for shit performances. What makes this current crock of shit even more frustrating is knowing how good we have been in recent times and how far we have fallen. I have had a 40 year love affair with this club and followed them everywhere through thick and thin, never have I been so disillusioned with RFC as I am now, there soul has gone out of this club and probably actually football in general. Sad times for me, never thought I would lose the passion I have carried with me over the years.

Thank you

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 04 Oct 2014 23:02

AirRaidSiren
poohs pure Shit team, full of shit players, with a shit manager watched by shit fans who constantly make shit excuses for shit performances. What makes this current crock of shit even more frustrating is knowing how good we have been in recent times and how far we have fallen. I have had a 40 year love affair with this club and followed them everywhere through thick and thin, never have I been so disillusioned with RFC as I am now, there soul has gone out of this club and probably actually football in general. Sad times for me, never thought I would lose the passion I have carried with me over the years.

Thank you

King Arthur's? Saxon Fields? River Way? Cricketers Way? Which part of our great Hampshire idyll are you hiding in?