BFTG/OTWH Derby (H) 0-3

155 posts
harry
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG/OTWH Derby (H) 0-3

by harry » 19 Oct 2014 01:48

tomdcfc87 Genuinely can't see why you lot are criticising Grant though. He's class and way better than Federici!

I thought Grant was poor. Odd that we have 6 shots on target against Derby's 5, yet they score 3 to our none. So either Grant isn't as bad as I thought he was or we kept hitting him with our shots.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 19 Oct 2014 01:53

I don't think I have ever heard anyone be anything but practically in awe of how good Hughes is. It's amazing that he is still at Derby really. Kudos to him if he stays with Derby if (or more likely when) they get promoted to the Premiership.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 19 Oct 2014 01:56

The FLS seemed to confirm what I saw - that we played well and were unfortunate to lose 3-0. Pog's miss was worse than it seemed from my view at the time but Martin's miss for them was also poor so I guess things even themselves out.

A few other points ....

We desperately need Williams back but he is not a ball-winning mid-fielder. Neither is Guthrie! We need Karajan for that role or we go with Akpan.

Gunter does not deserve the hate he gets on this forum. He is a good player but, having said that, he is no captain. When we go a goal down who is geeing up the squad? Who is calling for more effort? Who is looking to lead? Pearce certainly; Mackie certainly; Even young Hector is looking to do so. But not Gunter. He just looks lost and concentrates on his own game. We need a leader out there on the pitch and Gunter is not that man!

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 19 Oct 2014 01:57

Just before kick off my 14yr old daughter discovered that Niall from One Direction was sat in one of the boxes, this therefore completely took over our matchday!

Dad, can we go and see him? Dad, can I get a photo of him? You get the score......

Had to wait until 6pm to catch him as he was leaving his box and muscle my way past his security in order to ask him to have a photo with my Daughter.....

......lots of Dad brownie points gained for getting her a photo with him!

"OMG, Niall had his arm around me!!!"*

:roll:

*Daughter said this not me :wink:

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 19 Oct 2014 02:10

marlowuk We desperately need Williams back but he is not a ball-winning mid-fielder. Neither is Guthrie! We need Karajan for that role or we go with Akpan.

Gunter does not deserve the hate he gets on this forum. He is a good player but, having said that, he is no captain. When we go a goal down who is geeing up the squad? Who is calling for more effort? Who is looking to lead? Pearce certainly; Mackie certainly; Even young Hector is looking to do so. But not Gunter. He just looks lost and concentrates on his own game. We need a leader out there on the pitch and Gunter is not that man!

I'm inclined to go with Akpan until Karacan or Williams are available.

Gunter was great last season. He seems off form so far this season. The highlights showed he was marking Martin for the first goal. Seems a bit of a mismatch and I would still say Feds should have come for it. Second goal was quality but maybe Norwood and/or Gunter could have done more. Third, Martin bullied Gunter.

I think Pearce is a leader. Not sure he's a footballer (OK there was Doncaster away).

ShaunTheRam

by ShaunTheRam » 19 Oct 2014 02:16

semtex1871 Just before kick off my 14yr old daughter discovered that Niall from One Direction was sat in one of the boxes, this therefore completely took over our matchday!

Dad, can we go and see him? Dad, can I get a photo of him? You get the score......

Had to wait until 6pm to catch him as he was leaving his box and muscle my way past his security in order to ask him to have a photo with my Daughter.....

......lots of Dad brownie points gained for getting her a photo with him!

"OMG, Niall had his arm around me!!!"*

:roll:

*Daughter said this not me :wink:

Currently our most famous fan!! He gets to the iPro whenever he can!! Good on you for getting your daughter to him!

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 19 Oct 2014 02:26

harry
marlowuk We desperately need Williams back but he is not a ball-winning mid-fielder. Neither is Guthrie! We need Karajan for that role or we go with Akpan.

I think Pearce is a leader. Not sure he's a footballer (OK there was Doncaster away).

^ That

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2014 06:04

tomdcfc87 Genuinely can't see why you lot are criticising Grant though. He's class and way better than Federici!

A lot of things bounced off your keeper yesterday and he gave us a couple of chances to score which as usual the likes of Kanu and Pogrebnyak wasted. Made a few good saves late in the second half as well tbf but personally felt that if better teams than us can get at you for more than 15 minutes at the start of a match then they stand a chance with him in goal.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Derby: back from doing something else

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2014 07:45

floyd__streete 4pts off the bottom 3. No wins in 6. 3 goals conceded in each of the last 3 matches.

Apart from the 0-0 draw at Leeds 3 games ago of course.

As to the game well it was OK from an attacking perspective, just could get the ball over the line and in the respect is an improvement.

Defensively still abysmal. Desperately in need of a defensive midfielder and a couple of defenders to put pressure on the current incumbents for their places i.e. a full back and a centre back.

On Tuesday there is nothing NA can do to change the back four other than to play the youngster Cooper and/or put Akpan back in the team unless there are some very quick moves made in the loans market (centre back and full backs needed) which there won't.

So expect a continuation of the same sorry excuse for defending at Bournemouth.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 19 Oct 2014 08:57

marlowuk

Re: BFTG/OTWH Derby (H) 0-3 by marlowuk » 18 Oct 2014 20:11
Sorry about this but I appear to have been at a different game than most of those who have posted!

We will - correction - we have already played worse than we did today and taken 3 points. At HT I felt that I had experienced an entertaining game between two good well-matched footballing sides and that 2-0 very much flattered Derby. Both teams played at a high tempo, pressed the opposition high up the pitch and played the ball to feet most of the time.

I was not in a good position to see but it looked as if we conceded a soft first goal but we had plenty of chances to even the score before they scored a second well-worked goal. But, at that stage, we were unlucky and still very much in the game.

The second half carried on from where the first half ended but quickly became somewhat bad-tempered and disjointed. I think this may have stemmed from an incident at the end of the first half where the game was stopped for an injury to a Derby player when we were in possession. At the subsequent dropped-ball Derby fiercely competed for the ball when 'sportsmanship' (remember that?) dictated that they should have given the ball back to us. Maybe because of that, we didn't give Derby the ball back after another stoppage at the start of the second half much to the annoyance of the Derby players (and their supporters). In any event the match was punctuated by numerous silly fouls and the flow of the game disrupted.

All the same we were pressing hard for a goal and when a team does this they are vulnerable to a counter attack and thus it was that we conceded again. I don't think any of our players had a bad game but, conversely, none of them had an outstanding game! I was surprised by the substitutions as we were a constant threat to their goal at that stage of the game (around 60 mins). In the event Pog hardly saw the ball (except to miss a good chance) and Blackman and Khul, although effective, did no better than Mackie and Norwood.

On their second half chances I think Derby just about shaded it but a draw would have better reflected the relative performances of the two sides. But I am not downhearted. We need a ball-winning mid-fielder like Karajan back and together with Williams, McCleary, Guthrie and Norwood with Blackman and Mackie as well we will have have good options. In defence Hector will come better with more experience and is already playing well. Pearce is the weak link in my opinion. Although good in the air he is the one player we have who is not confident with the ball at his feet. Maybe Cooper (who is also good in the air) can do his job or maybe we need to go into the loan market.

So - disappointing result? Yes. But an encouraging performance!
Last edited by marlowuk on 18 Oct 2014 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2014 09:08

I expected most to go by the score-line and say we were rubbish.

Interesting that all the Derby posters thought it was fairly even and not a 3-0 game

My view was we were excellent going forward and it was just not our day. The possession/chances/shots/shots on target stats show how even it was, and generally, it was.

Most of our chances came from excellent play that opened up the other side.

Two of their goals were just rank bad defending by us.

We will play worse and win games.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2014 09:11

IMO we need HECTOR in defensive midfield. He is the best tackler in the side, can play football, so can break out when he wins the ball, is the large, tougher player we need to cover the middle. Bring in Cooper at CB, change the dynamic.

I've herd it said (in Hec's early games) that he isn't a DM. he's improved a lot since then and I think that will be his eventual position.

Cooper is 6' 4"? and wins a lot in the air

The other possibility would be 3 CBs and Gunter-Obita as wing-backs, Akpan-Norwood-? in the middle

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 Oct 2014 10:00

ROWY The defence wasn't good but the real problem is in midfield, we were non existent.

Taylor - out of his depth
Norwood -clearly a player but need some quality around him
Hrk - out of his depth

Totally agree. Taylor contributes nothing other than the pass sideways or back. Kanu has had so many seasons to prove he is a good player, unfortunately he isn't and has never looked good apart from the odd good goal. Impact sub at best. We desperately need a big strong defensive midfielder and (unfortunately) a good right back. Gunter was the man marking Martin for their first goal although not sure why as he is probably our least physical player.

Add a new manager as this one has only taken us backwards

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 Oct 2014 10:05

Nuremberg Royal marlowuk

Sorry about this but I appear to have been at a different game than most of those who have posted!

We will - correction - we have already played worse than we did today and taken 3 points. At HT I felt that I had experienced an entertaining game between two good well-matched footballing sides and that 2-0 very much flattered Derby. Both teams played at a high tempo, pressed the opposition high up the pitch and played the ball to feet most of the time.

I was not in a good position to see but it looked as if we conceded a soft first goal but we had plenty of chances to even the score before they scored a second well-worked goal. But, at that stage, we were unlucky and still very much in the game.

No one had a bad game??

Gunter
Taylor
Kanu
You can't function when that proportion of the team are poor. Even game? Can you name oner Derby player that had a poor game?

The second half carried on from where the first half ended but quickly became somewhat bad-tempered and disjointed. I think this may have stemmed from an incident at the end of the first half where the game was stopped for an injury to a Derby player when we were in possession. At the subsequent dropped-ball Derby fiercely competed for the ball when 'sportsmanship' (remember that?) dictated that they should have given the ball back to us. Maybe because of that, we didn't give Derby the ball back after another stoppage at the start of the second half much to the annoyance of the Derby players (and their supporters). In any event the match was punctuated by numerous silly fouls and the flow of the game disrupted.

All the same we were pressing hard for a goal and when a team does this they are vulnerable to a counter attack and thus it was that we conceded again. I don't think any of our players had a bad game but, conversely, none of them had an outstanding game! I was surprised by the substitutions as we were a constant threat to their goal at that stage of the game (around 60 mins). In the event Pog hardly saw the ball (except to miss a good chance) and Blackman and Khul, although effective, did no better than Mackie and Norwood.

On their second half chances I think Derby just about shaded it but a draw would have better reflected the relative performances of the two sides. But I am not downhearted. We need a ball-winning mid-fielder like Karajan back and together with Williams, McCleary, Guthrie and Norwood with Blackman and Mackie as well we will have have good options. In defence Hector will come better with more experience and is already playing well. Pearce is the weak link in my opinion. Although good in the air he is the one player we have who is not confident with the ball at his feet. Maybe Cooper (who is also good in the air) can do his job or maybe we need to go into the loan market.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 Oct 2014 10:06

Nuremberg Royal marlowuk

Sorry in wrong place
No one had a bad game??

Gunter
Taylor
Kanu
You can't function when that proportion of the team are poor. Even game? Can you name oner Derby player that had a poor game?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 Oct 2014 10:44

Mr.Swainey Chris Gunter..... captain :lol:

Chris Gunter...... playing :lol:

POTS

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 19 Oct 2014 10:51

sandman
muddyfeet I found Mackie really disappointing today, didn't support Gunter defensively or going forwards as he kept drifting inside
Maybe he is playing out of position or he doesn't really want to be here...

Adkins tactics are for the wingers to play narrow, not Mackie's fault. Bit difficult to support Gunter defensively when Gunter is hardly in defence, "cover for Gunter" would be more accurate.

I don't get the hate for Gunter tbh
We had no width at all and I just don't think that works in this league

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2014 11:07

Poor positioning, hardly ever tries to stop shot or crosses and poor in the air. That's just a few of the most obvious faults Gunter's game.

Yesterday we were 2-0 down and our Right Back was in the centre forward position trundling back like it was the last minute and we were 5-0 up. How many crosses did he have yesterday and how many of them beat the first man, I would suggest very few.

Thing with Gunter is that he is very good between both boxes but when he is around either he is distinctly average.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 19 Oct 2014 11:15

Not sure how Jake Taylor gets anywhere near the team, he is distinctively average, and really wouldn't look out of place in a League One side. I hope we're not playing him just because he has come through the academy.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 19 Oct 2014 11:15

muddyfeet
sandman
muddyfeet I found Mackie really disappointing today, didn't support Gunter defensively or going forwards as he kept drifting inside
Maybe he is playing out of position or he doesn't really want to be here...

Adkins tactics are for the wingers to play narrow, not Mackie's fault. Bit difficult to support Gunter defensively when Gunter is hardly in defence, "cover for Gunter" would be more accurate.

I don't get the hate for Gunter tbh
We had no width at all and I just don't think that works in this league

Mackie doesn't look like a winger to me. He's a decent hard-working forward. His ability to cross a ball seems limited. If he's playing narrow he needs an overlapping full back.
Gunter has the fitness to overlap all day. He just doesn't seem to have the ability to cross a ball. He was my player of last season. This season he has been disappointing as he hasn't matched those standards, mostly due to defensive mistakes.

So down the right we have two players who can get into good positions but not get a cross over. It's just frustrating. Like watching Martyn Booty hit the first defender with every cross at Elm Park.
Unfortunately we are probably just marking time until McCleary is back fit, at which point Gunter will look better as well.

155 posts