Give him until the end of December
11%
I'm Ian Royal -What problems?
10%

Total votes: 183
Froomes

Re: Adkins -what next?

by Froomes » 14 Dec 2014 18:03

Royal Rother Disbelieve all you like MMMmmm, I don't mean to go all Snowball on you but look at the facts below.

Froomes
Royal Rother Things are looking a bit rubbish right now but I said at the start of the season I'd be more than happy with mid-table finish and a group of our youngsters being well-blooded. For me that would be a better season than a near miss / play-off loss.

Looks like it's panning out that way so (as someone who doesn't go to games so has a minimal frustration of current performances) I don't have much of a problem. 6-1 isn't nice but I suspect there'll be some harsh but useful lessons learned from that experience.

I'm not suggesting there's an easy solution but the best way a club of this size can really progress is become largely self-sufficient for players and selling them on. Blocking their progress by bringing in players from outside in the chase for promotion year on year at the expense of financial stability is folly.

I don't really care much whether Adkins stays or goes myself, but I do rate stability in the managerial position highly, and when times are hard a lot of patience is required.

That's in very short supply in the football world these days.

I agree with the first paragraph completely, sadly not too many of the youngsters are being blooded though. Cooper is in simply because Pearce has been horrific, Tanner, Kuhl etc rarely feature after some early season promise. It now looks like they were only played because our injury problems were so catastrophic rather than being used to get some much needed experience. In all honesty most of them would have benefited from a season out on loan...

As for 'learning useful lessons' from a 6-1 humiliation I wouldn't hold my breathe seeing as Adkins clearly learnt nothing from our equally humiliating 6-0 loss to Peterborough last year!

I would be ok with a mid table finish if I even remotely thought we could push on next season but that isn't the case, under Adkins reign we've gone backwards and if we carry on our current trajectory WE WILL end up in league one.

Sorry to be a bit clinical about it but I can't go along with that.

On the 8th November we were 5 points above the relegation zone.

On the 29th November we were 6 points above the relegation zone.

Today we are 7 points above...

The gap between us and 6th place has only grown from 7 to 10 points over that time.

I am in no way disputing the assertions that performances have been dull, uninspiring and downright shite at times but the trajectory is not as bad as you seem to think.

That says more about the teams below us failing to capitalise on our cr@p form than it does about our own ability to pull away from the relegation zone, we're fast getting to the stage where we are relying on there being 3 worse teams than us in the division. That, I'm afraid, is not progress.

We were told that sacking McD when we did was so the new guy could come in and get used to our players ready for an attempt at an immeadiate return or failing that a concerted push the year after. This clearly has not happened. Dispite what anyone says we are going backwards, in terms of playing style, performances, results and league position. That is what I meant by our current trajectory. I also firmly believe with the results we are currently seeing a relegation battle is not as far away as some on here would have us believe...

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 14 Dec 2014 20:15

What worries me most is that when you consider our squad now in comparison with what we took up to the premier league - it's at a similar level, excluding the loss of a decent centre half (mariappa), and a goal scored in ALF - who I reckon would only be doing similarly as well as Murray is.

What's happened since then, clearly has to have something to do with the manager. McDermott (who i totally agree should have been sacked - and he's never an option to turn the club into a competitive premier league entity) clearly could bring the best out of his players and get them playing for him and putting passion and spirit into most of the games. This hasn't happened with Adkins, and although the football we play now may be slicker at times, it's toothless and we aren't winning. That means he isn't as great a tactician as he should be, as the tactics are useless against any other style of team. McDermott at least ensured that even if we weren't going to score tonnes, we didn't concede much either!

At the time of hiring Adkins was 100% the right choice, but (and i've only turned on his position very recently) - the club hasn't felt the same since he's been here. There's been no feeling of unity, he feels totally disconnected from the fans, and it just hasn't worked. When Brendan was sacked there was no ideal candidate or anyone on paper who really would be able to do better, but we got someone who worked and brought the spirit back to the club - and even if the football could of been dull at times - it felt like Reading again!

I don't want McDermott back, far from it - but it's clear that Adkins isn't going to a success at this club. I'd love to be proved wrong, and I'm sure he will go somewhere else and has the potential to do a decent job at even a lower premier league club - but he's no longer the right man for this job

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 14 Dec 2014 21:00

royalsroyalsroyals92 What worries me most is that when you consider our squad now in comparison with what we took up to the premier league - it's at a similar level, excluding the loss of a decent centre half (mariappa), and a goal scored in ALF - who I reckon would only be doing similarly as well as Murray is.

What's happened since then, clearly has to have something to do with the manager. McDermott (who i totally agree should have been sacked - and he's never an option to turn the club into a competitive premier league entity) clearly could bring the best out of his players and get them playing for him and putting passion and spirit into most of the games. This hasn't happened with Adkins, and although the football we play now may be slicker at times, it's toothless and we aren't winning. That means he isn't as great a tactician as he should be, as the tactics are useless against any other style of team. McDermott at least ensured that even if we weren't going to score tonnes, we didn't concede much either!

Out of interest, why do you think McDermott should have been sacked if he was able to do all those things that you mentioned? Currently is it a reasonable expectation for Reading to be a 'competitive Premier League entity'?

On a broader note, it seems to me there are some distorted perceptions as to what sort of team Reading should be - in both directions. There are some people who have spoken about Reading establishing themselves as a stable Premier League team. There are others who are speaking about the prospect of Reading clinging to Championship safety for several years and possibly even being relegated to League 1.

To my mind Reading's level is realistically as a competitive Championship team which they have been for most of the last decade, and a position which Brian McDermott comfortably had us in. Of course the dream would then be to maintain a position for a bit in the Premier League but I don't think that currently we are in the position to demand/expect that. But equally I think it's dangerous to interpret a decline as being acceptable.

I'd be willing to accept one inconsistent season if it was along the lines of (or a bit worse) than we saw in the second half of 09/10 when we weren't really challenging for the play-offs but with slight inconsistency were putting in good performances/results and there were a number of younger players at the core of that. Even though we didn't have much to play for in terms of team position I still thoroughly enjoyed that period and you could tell there was something to look forward to.

I don't have the same feeling with this team. By and large I don't especially feel that younger players are being brought through apart from when they're either exceptional or pretty much the only option. Equally, unlike some, I don't see that there are signs of a long-term improvement for the club with Adkins in charge and have little confidence that he'll have us challenging for the play-offs next season for example.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 14 Dec 2014 22:26

6-1

Hardly supports all this bollocks about "We must stay to the end" does it?

Adkins has one more chance.

BEAT - a fcking draw isnt good enough - BEAT WATFORD OR

P
I
S
S

O
F
F

A
D
K
I
N
S

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 14 Dec 2014 23:04

Winnershroyal Go, now, tonight.

McD back with Coppell as advisor

"Brian knows best!"

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Dec 2014 01:50

I try my best to stick to my assertions (whether Cummings was worthwhile being a rare backtrack for me) and when Brian was failing to adapt in the premier league I felt sacking him was the right thing to do. Similarly Adkins is failing to adapt. I feel for him and was a big supporter of him but too many results have gone wrong this season. He doesn't seem to even see that a change is needed. Which it is I think we all agree (whether that change is tactics, team sheets, managerial, coaching or administrative is up to you) anyway I want him out for the same reasons I wanted Brian out. Something's gotta give.

stl_royal

by stl_royal » 15 Dec 2014 04:49

I was on board the Adkins train since day one, but my enthusiasm has waned dramatically. Admittedly I haven't been able to watch as many matches as I'd like/have been able to in past years--being in the US with limited Championship coverage, paired with working most Saturday mornings--but from the ones I have caught and the recaps and results I find the performance underwhelming to say the least. While I don't typically think that a change in management is the best choice right away since problems like this are often deeper than the man in charge of the team, Adkins has had his chance to do what he can with what he's got and hasn't done anything with it. Don't know where to go next, but it looks like a change should be made.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Dec 2014 10:45

Twitter's in meltdown after Samrit posted 'Goodbye and good luck' followed by a picture of a small girl and a cat crying. Clearly means Nigel has been sacked.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Dec 2014 10:49

:lol: :lol:

Fubar
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Fubar » 15 Dec 2014 10:53

Goodbye - and thanks for all the fish...

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 15 Dec 2014 11:05

Either that or he's had enough and the Thais are all pulling out

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 Dec 2014 11:19

"Chris Gunter wants Reading to stick with Nigel Adkins" so Ive heard.
Suspect that's because hes the only manager that would give him first team football the ways hes playing.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Dec 2014 11:22

Winnershroyal Go, now, tonight.

McD back with Coppell as advisor

Fcuk right off do I want McD and hoofball back!! Coppell, yes tho!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Dec 2014 11:25

Ascotexgunner "Chris Gunter wants Reading to stick with Nigel Adkins" so Ive heard.
Suspect that's because hes the only manager that would give him first team football the ways hes playing.

He can't say "get rid of this bloke ffs" can he. :roll:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Dec 2014 11:27

And funny how Gunter seems to do ok playing on the RIGHT for Wales. Get him on the left and you'll see a vast improvement imo.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Dec 2014 11:29

HRK plays well for wales aswell....

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 Dec 2014 11:43

Royal Lady And funny how Gunter seems to do ok playing on the RIGHT for Wales. Get him on the left and you'll see a vast improvement imo.

I disagree with that. He does "ok" at times but in the recent campaign he could easily have cost Wales. He was "average" against Andorra and had good cover in front of him v Belgium, and Cyprus spent more time going down the middle.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 15 Dec 2014 11:47

he also chose to show leadership and stop short of publicly criticising a team which include centre halves of just 19 and 22 years of age.
Unquote

I wonder who he was referring to????????

Shocking! under handed way to pass the blame on. One thing for sure NA knows how to deflect criticism :cry:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Dec 2014 11:51

He admitted to Dellor that bringing in youngsters means they will make mistakes.

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 15 Dec 2014 11:51

1 more game for me. Saturday was a watershed moment and if he cannot get a response from the players after a 6-1 defeat then he will have to go. Win and with a convincing performance then he must back it up at Brighton

160 posts