Back from the stream (Derby)

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the stream (Derby)

by Royal Ginger » 15 Feb 2015 12:57

arthurfondrelli
MmmMonsterMunch
arthurfondrelli Do we actually have a bad record vs 10 men or are we just assuming that?

It's not great - see Millwall 2 weeks ago.

True - and Watford earlier on in the season, thinking about it.

Don't forget out proudest moments from last year against 9 man Yeovil.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 Feb 2015 12:58

Mr.Swainey Some grass was pointing out people to the stewards who were standing up when they 'shouldn't be'. Stupid ming.

Only within reading fans would you get that, we had the same at last season

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 15 Feb 2015 13:19

Took 4 and a half hours to get up there and arrived at 14:50 but it was well worth it.

HRK had his best game all season was MOTM for me, Mackie shouldn't have played he looked knackered from the 1st minute. Pog won pretty much everything and worked very hard. Cox bar his finishing was fantastic. Williams, Feds, Kelly superb. Everyone else decent.

Think we miss Norwood's range of passing a lot and McCleary was a massive miss.

Was a great away atmosphere topped off with a great curry in the evening and a few pints back at the hotel.

Did any else notice that pathetic derby fan on the right of us who got a sign out when they scored saying something along the lines off "Reading Relegated 2007/08" " Fulham +3 better GD"....Quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen at a football match purely because he was so proud of himself afterwards like we were emotional hurt by it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Feb 2015 13:22

SCIAG
Mr Angry That law is specifically designed to send off a player who deliberately handles the ball to prevent an obvious goal scoring opportunity, such as Suarez in the WC quarter final 2010. The penalty incident yesterday was when the ball hit Keogh's hip, then went onto his outstretched arm; anyone who thinks that is worthy of a red card is an idiot.

If it is a penalty, then it is deliberate and potentially a red card. The only question then is whether Keogh denied a clear goal or obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Non-deliberate handball is not a foul. Assuming this was a potential DOGSO case, the options are penalty+red card, or nothing.

I would suggest that this piece (from legendary Reading referee Dick Sawdon Smith) is worth reading for anybody in confusion: http://www.readingrefs.org.uk/ftmpages/FTM314.html

Lots of similarities between these two incidents, but I think I have to come down on the "no penalty" side.

Largely agree, but refs clearly have been ignoring the 'intent' aspect for years. Or at least not applying it consistently. I note our resident ref says it's no way a red card, but doesn't say anything about it being a penalty or not. As you say, both or neither.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 15 Feb 2015 13:37

Unbelievable Jeff Did any else notice that pathetic derby fan on the right of us who got a sign out when they scored saying something along the lines off "Reading Relegated 2007/08" " Fulham +3 better GD"....Quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen at a football match purely because he was so proud of himself afterwards like we were emotional hurt by it.

He was probably so distraught at us beating them 4-0, worst team in history.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 Feb 2015 13:43

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Lacoste azesxrdcfthnjimko,

Nothing against you or your posts in general, there are enough tossers here and I don't recall you being one them. But this is a disgustingly racist comment even if you didn't mean it to be.

Mods, you do a good job. Are you AWOL? :x

:shock:
You must be new here.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Feb 2015 14:17

loyalroyal4life
Mr.Swainey Some grass was pointing out people to the stewards who were standing up when they 'shouldn't be'. Stupid ming.

Saw a pensioner literally sprint up the steps at Fulham to get a steward because someone swore in front of his grandson.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 15 Feb 2015 15:01

bobby1413
MmmMonsterMunch Are people really moaning about hearing swearing at an away game? With respect fcuk off to Legoland or Peppa Pig World if you don't like it. :wink:

If it's swearing & abusing the players then fair enough don't do that, but if it's just general "Fcuking hell ref that's blatantly offside" etc then may I suggest you do something else on a Saturday afternoon.

Jesus wept. I had the fun police sat behind me yesterday moaning when we were standing up for corners, bits of excitement etc. :roll:

And people wonder why matchdays are so sterile now. Since when did it become a family day out? Your kids will hear foul language at some stage get over it.

Ok dear, calm down.

and grow up.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 15 Feb 2015 15:09

Pensioners should be forced to sit in the home end or something.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 15 Feb 2015 15:43

sandman
loyalroyal4life

Saw a pensioner literally sprint up the steps at Fulham to get a steward because someone swore in front of his grandson.

Was he waving a pension book around, so you could be sure?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 15 Feb 2015 15:53

The key word in the law relating to a handball in the penalty area leading to a red card is "obvious"; remove that and EVERYTIME there is a handball resulting in a penalty then the offending player is sent off. Yet how many players DO get sent off when handling to concede a penalty? I'd suggest very few.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 15 Feb 2015 16:05

[quote="Ian Royal"][quote="SCIAG"][quote="Mr Angry"]
That law is specifically designed to send off a player who deliberately handles the ball to prevent an obvious goal scoring opportunity, such as Suarez in the WC quarter final 2010. The penalty incident yesterday was when the ball hit Keogh's hip, then went onto his outstretched arm; anyone who thinks that is worthy of a red card is an idiot.[/quote]
If it is a penalty, then it is deliberate and potentially a red card. The only question then is whether Keogh denied a clear goal or obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Non-deliberate handball is not a foul. Assuming this was a potential DOGSO case, the options are penalty+red card, or nothing.

I would suggest that this piece (from legendary Reading referee Dick Sawdon Smith) is worth reading for anybody in confusion: http://www.readingrefs.org.uk/ftmpages/FTM314.html

Lots of similarities between these two incidents, but I think I have to come down on the "no penalty" side.[/quote]
Largely agree, but refs clearly have been ignoring the 'intent' aspect for years. Or at least not applying it consistently. I note our resident ref says it's no way a red card, but doesn't say anything about it being a penalty or not. As you say, both or neither.[/quote]

As the ball was travelling towards the goal it seemed a clear case of DOGSO. HobNob's reaction at the time was "stonewall, nailed on and blatant". (And we know how unbiased HobNob is.) The Telegraph said that Derby were lucky as "a shot by Danny Williams appeared to bounce to safety off defender Richard Keogh's outstretched arm."

Outstretched arms stopping shots in the penalty box usually earn a penalty, so he should have been off.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Feb 2015 16:14

People are shortening it to DOGSO, it's actually asking for a CLEAR goal scoring opportunity, if the keeper is in position and capable of saving the shot then any handball blocking the shot is only worth a yellow card and a penalty.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 15 Feb 2015 16:45

bobby1413
9165 Black marks to the idiots behind me in the stand who couldn`t say/shout/sing anything without chucking in several unnecessary expletives.

It sounds like they are the people who stand behind me at home matches... They criticise the pass/shot/throw/chest/header before it's even complete, and call everyone a "farking caaaaant"

Were they the ones who were smashing up the seats? I paid for a seat with a back not a oxf*rd stool :lol: :wink:

Harmless, but scared a few kids around us.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 15 Feb 2015 17:04

Lacoste Glad to be through but..................

Cox - You weren't good enough for us first time around. You're lucky we had shit manager who was prepared to spend money on you.
Obita - You aren't a winger and you aren't a full back. You're not going to make it, I'm afraid.
Blackman - you are just that. Nothing more.
Mackie - I'm glad you did it but you cheated Derby today. Poor play acting and you're just not very good. You won't be here next season.

Ref - Shocking for both teams, no way a sending off and a definite penalty. You should not ref again for a while, Get trained,

Glad we are through, progress under Clarke continues even if i'm still not sure about him.

Home tie please.

this is a disgustingly racist comment

I agree, this filth should be banned. Please take action against Lacoste.....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Feb 2015 17:13

West Stand Man
bobby1413
MmmMonsterMunch Are people really moaning about hearing swearing at an away game? With respect fcuk off to Legoland or Peppa Pig World if you don't like it. :wink:

If it's swearing & abusing the players then fair enough don't do that, but if it's just general "Fcuking hell ref that's blatantly offside" etc then may I suggest you do something else on a Saturday afternoon.

Jesus wept. I had the fun police sat behind me yesterday moaning when we were standing up for corners, bits of excitement etc. :roll:

And people wonder why matchdays are so sterile now. Since when did it become a family day out? Your kids will hear foul language at some stage get over it.

Ok dear, calm down.

and grow up.

I don't think it's the "fcuking hell ref" merchants who earlier posters were complaining about, it's the spittle spraying neanderthals who shout abuse at their own players when something goes wrong and scream obscenities for the rest of the 90 minutes at the opposition players and supporters and who actually do affect normal people's enjoyment they were referring to.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Feb 2015 17:28

tidus_mi2 People are shortening it to DOGSO, it's actually asking for a CLEAR goal scoring opportunity, if the keeper is in position and capable of saving the shot then any handball blocking the shot is only worth a yellow card and a penalty.

Er... by that logic it's only a clear goalscoring opportunity if there's an open net and the keeper's AWOL. You've added 'clear' and ignored 'scoring opportunity'

Emmer Green Royal As the ball was travelling towards the goal it seemed a clear case of DOGSO. HobNob's reaction at the time was "stonewall, nailed on and blatant". (And we know how unbiased HobNob is.) The Telegraph said that Derby were lucky as "a shot by Danny Williams appeared to bounce to safety off defender Richard Keogh's outstretched arm."

Outstretched arms stopping shots in the penalty box usually earn a penalty, so he should have been off.
Only if the handball is deliberate. It can't be a red card if it's not a penalty and it's only a penalty if it's deliberate. By the laws.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Feb 2015 19:33

Have to say my matchday experience yesterday was impacted a bit by the the gang of 20 somethings next to me. I don't mind swearing or some boisterous stuff but was practically flattened both times we scored. I can live with that too but was pleased my dad wasn't with me as he'd literally have been in danger of being injured. Whilst I don't want to dictate to others how they behave at a game, I do think some consideration should be given to others whose needs and wishes are very different to you.

In addition, they smashed up 3-4 seats, (including mine). I don't think they were really bad guys but got far too carried away in the atmosphere and need to reign it in a bit

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Feb 2015 19:35

Forgot to mention the game!

By a mile, the highlight of the season. The red card was a massive bonus but from the moment I heard Derby's team, (two debuts) I felt confident we would win as they weren't giving it 100%.

Been to all the cup games and am dreaming of doing so all the way to Wembley

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 15 Feb 2015 20:14

semtex1871
Lacoste Glad to be through but..................

Cox - You weren't good enough for us first time around. You're lucky we had shit manager who was prepared to spend money on you.
Obita - You aren't a winger and you aren't a full back. You're not going to make it, I'm afraid.
Blackman - you are just that. Nothing more.
Mackie - I'm glad you did it but you cheated Derby today. Poor play acting and you're just not very good. You won't be here next season.

Ref - Shocking for both teams, no way a sending off and a definite penalty. You should not ref again for a while, Get trained,

Glad we are through, progress under Clarke continues even if i'm still not sure about him.

Home tie please.

this is a disgustingly racist comment

I agree, this filth should be banned. Please take action against Lacoste.....

Complete over reaction, hardly a racist comment :roll: