Fran Kirby

322 posts
Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Fran Kirby

by Wax Jacket » 12 May 2015 11:29

RoyalBlue
Nameless I think the cut off for mixed football is 14, over that age it is not permitted.

I think you are right but IMO it is a pretty arbitrary and stupid limit.

I once watched an un-official friendly between an U18s women's team of a reasonably high standard against an U18 mens team. The ref spent most of his time protecting the guys from some very robust challenges from the girls who clearly wanted to make a point about their ability to compete physically, as well as in terms of skill!

Fran currently trains with and, I imagine, competes against our academy guys (U18s I believe) in their training sessions with no problems.

most 18 year-old males are pretty weak though tbf

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 12 May 2015 14:00

Notice she missed the last game through injury. Anybody have any idea how bad?

East End Lady

by East End Lady » 13 May 2015 15:28

Think she is back training this week so can't have been too bad.
I think it is the Under21s that she trains with rather than the U18s

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 13 May 2015 15:46

Don't wish to alarm anyone, but she was retweeting the Sw*nd*n score on Monday AND seemingly supporting them......However, I reckon she will set the World Cup alight...she has been absolute quality both times I've seen her for England. It'll be a real credit to our club if she does well in June!

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 13 May 2015 16:36

Only because Ben Gladwin used to work for our Community Trust.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 13 May 2015 17:16

Fair enough.....I was fairly sure she didn't support Swindon...but just wanted to check!!

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 14 May 2015 00:54

Has Reading ever had a player play in a World Cup representing England whilst playing for Reading before?

We have a quite strong Women's National Team here in the US so maybe us Yanks take the women's game more seriously. But I think this is quite an honor, and good reflection on the club. Congrats Fran and good luck to England in their quest to finish second to the US... :wink: :D

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 14 May 2015 07:43

Bobby Convey

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 May 2015 07:52

Don't remember him playing for England.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 May 2015 08:33

Incidentally (from the FTFC website)...

Farnborough Football Club have been informed that Reading Women’s FA WSL 2 home fixture with Millwall Lionesses will now take place at the Madejski Stadium next Friday (22 May) evening, kick off 7:45pm.

The FA WSL 2 fixture was originally scheduled to take place at Cherrywood Road but it has now been moved to the home of Reading FC, kick off 7:45pm. Please spread the word!

Don’t let a change of venue put you off supporting! Join Reading Women next Friday (22 May) as they attempt to get over 1000 supporters into the Madejski Stadium with their #1000fanchallenge.

Tickets for the game can be pre-purchased online (£1 discount from Match Day prices) or you can pay at the turnstiles at the Madejski Stadium on the day of the game.

Kick off is at 7:45pm.

Pre-purchased tickets:

Adults: £4
Concessions: £2.
Tickets can be pre-purchased online here.

Admission prices at the ground on Match Day:

Adults: £5
Concessions: £3.

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 16 May 2015 08:47

Good opportunity to get a few new people. I might pop along if I get to see Fran...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2015 12:32

Libertine Has Reading ever had a player play in a World Cup representing England whilst playing for Reading before?

We have a quite strong Women's National Team here in the US so maybe us Yanks take the women's game more seriously. But I think this is quite an honor, and good reflection on the club. Congrats Fran and good luck to England in their quest to finish second to the US... :wink: :D

I think you know that you take the women's game more seriously than in the UK. Look how many colleges (universities in proper English) have womens soccer (football in real English) teams, many with facilities/staffing that lower level professional/semi-professional clubs in the UK would be jealous of, and where many of the players get all of their expenses covered whilst obtaining a degree. On top of that, you have a strong professional women's club setup.

Hope Solo (US Women's Goalkeeper for the less knowledgeable) has 866K followers on twitter! @ReadingFC have 'just' 152K, Joe Hart has 11.4K

No matter how well the women's game develops in the UK, we will struggle to catch up with the US, particularly given the sheer numbers of youngsters that are taking up the girls'/women's game over your side of the pond (and that's despite the very high cost, compared to the UK, of playing kids football (soccer) in the US).

toppy Good opportunity to get a few new people. I might pop along if I get to see Fran...

I doubt you will get to see her play and she may not be there at all I'm afraid, as the England Women's World Cup Squad have already met up for their training camp I believe. Still well worth going to watch the game though as Reading have a good number of other excellent players as well (full internationals and U21 etc.). The game against Everton was excellent and certainly made nonsense of some of the claims about the women's game, including that it is 'soft'.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 May 2015 13:24

To be fair the number of followers of Hope Solo's Twitterings might have something to do with her interesting "selfies" that went public a few months ago.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2015 20:37

Royal Rother To be fair the number of followers of Hope Solo's Twitterings might have something to do with her interesting "selfies" that went public a few months ago.

No doubt that did increase the number of followers but I believe she had many hundreds of thousand followers even prior to that. She is a global star of women's football.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2015 20:39

Selfies & Hope (Solo not Akpan) aside, Reading FC Women have just travelled to top of the table Domcaster Belles and won 3-0! And that was without Fran I believe.

Reading FC Women are now top of WSL2 and in a strong position for promotion to FAWSL1!

Well worth a visit to the Mad Stad this Friday.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 May 2015 21:22

Excellent. Puts us top now.

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 17 May 2015 02:08

Royal Rother Excellent. Puts us top now.

Jumping on the glory bandwagon :wink:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 May 2015 10:03

You know it was a shit season when the Women's team winning is considered 'excellent' news.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 17 May 2015 11:25

Well it'd be nice if the men's team could follow suit

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2015 11:46

sandman You know it was a shit season when the Women's team winning is considered 'excellent' news.

You know that dinosaurs never really died out when you get comments like that!

3-0 win away to the favourites for promotion and at what is still a very big club, and which puts our team top of the table of WSL2 is excellent news.

If you can remove the blinkers from your eyes for just a short while you might be able to find your way to the Mad Stad this Friday and perhaps see that women's football in 2015 is way different from how it was previously (perhaps rightly in many cases a decade or so ago) portrayed.

322 posts