84%
No
16%

Total votes: 90
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Steve Clake - New Poll

by Nameless » 22 Mar 2015 20:31

If Clark had said post match that he knew exactly what the problem was the response could easily of been 'well why didn't you sort it out then' !

Football management is not an exact science. IMHO it's more luck than judgement, although the judgement is pretty important. Clark had a tough job on his hands and he's honest enough to say he's not changed things as quickly as he'd hoped. I agree the summer is crucial. There will be lots of changes, players in and out. Much will depend on who we can move on but I don't think there is evidence that there won't be money to spend. It won't be QPR level and. the sledgehammer of FFP will probably limit it but the Thai's want a successful team so they wil do what they can.
Is Clark the right man? Bradford shows he's pretty good tactically and there's no evidence he can't be a good manager. His coaching pedigree is top class, he's probably as good an option as we'll get

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 23 Mar 2015 05:45

I sort of wish we had still stuck with Coppell, I feel he could have been our Sir Alex.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Mar 2015 08:42

Coppell ended up staying a little too long though ( ah, I see where the SFA comparison comes in.......)

Coppola is a complex man and frankly he's great if he's interested but can be an absolute disaster. We got some great seasons from him but any idea that he would have stayed at that level for 25 years ignores the reality of his career.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Mar 2015 12:47

Judging Clarke at the moment is a bit of a futile exercise.

As others have said he's got the remains of someone else's unbalanced squad and we're in no-mans land in terms of the league right now too.

We might not have improved in terms of points per game return but for me the football is a lot better. We look like a team who can defend and also create chances and play with a bit of intent and passion. Under Adkins we exposed ourselves defensively but, even with Murray in the side, struggled for goals. If Clarke still had a player of Murray's type at his disposal we'd be significantly better off in the league.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Mar 2015 13:13

Hoop Blah Judging Clarke at the moment is a bit of a futile exercise.

As others have said he's got the remains of someone else's unbalanced squad and we're in no-mans land in terms of the league right now too.

We might not have improved in terms of points per game return but for me the football is a lot better. We look like a team who can defend and also create chances and play with a bit of intent and passion. Under Adkins we exposed ourselves defensively but, even with Murray in the side, struggled for goals. If Clarke still had a player of Murray's type at his disposal we'd be significantly better off in the league.

Very well-said

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Mar 2015 13:29

Nameless Coppell ended up staying a little too long though ( ah, I see where the SFA comparison comes in.......)

Coppola is a complex man and frankly he's great if he's interested but can be an absolute disaster. We got some great seasons from him but any idea that he would have stayed at that level for 25 years ignores the reality of his career.

I agree with both of you. Coppell could have had the job for life as far as I was concerned, but his own happiness wouldn't have allowed it.

I'd rather have given the job to McDermott straight after Coppell. If we'd done as well under Rodgers as under McDermott, we would have made the playoffs and would have stood a chance of keeping Gylfi.

When McDermott eventually left his position, Rodgers probably wouldn't have been promoted, and would be in a better position to succeed when he got here, having made his mistakes at Watford instead (and he also wouldn't have marginalised Gylfi, Long and Kebe, because they'd have proven themselves in the upper reaches of the Championship and/or the Premier League).

It's all fantasy - we probably wouldn't have signed McAnuff or Bertrand, and Rodgers might have got Watford promoted or otherwise attracted Premier League attention - but it's nice to think about.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Mar 2015 13:49

Wtf

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Mar 2015 14:32

Nameless Clark

Nameless Clark

Nameless Clark

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Mar 2015 15:28

Closer than 'Clake' tbf

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 23 Mar 2015 15:39

(C'mon)
Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout
Wembley,Trembly,No frills,Arse-Nils,gingers and whingers
Archies,Parkies,Four tutus,whose who,oh shit and boo hoo
All we are saying is give Clake a chance
All we are saying is give Clake a chance

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Mar 2015 16:09

Extended-Phenotype Closer than 'Clake' tbf

I didn't even spot that :lol:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Mar 2015 20:12

It's all about energy saving. The 'e' is unnecessary as meaning is clear and every character omitted saves electricity.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 23 Mar 2015 20:26

Nameless It's all about energy saving. The 'e' is unnecessary as meaning is clear and every character omitted saves electricity.

'

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 23 Mar 2015 20:51

Snowball

Very well-said

+2

A spot on assessment amidst a sea of cr@p from the usual suspects.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Mar 2015 08:15

I like him. He needs time and backing, and then we can judge him 'fairly'..

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Mar 2015 10:48

See Murray scored again. His figures since he went back to Palace are crazy-good

4 Goals 1 Assist in 366 minutes = a goal every 92 minutes, a goal/assist every 73 minutes, and that in a mid-table side.

His figures for the season look VG too

12 Goals 2 assist in 2,037 minutes = a goal every 180 minutes a goal/assist every 153 minutes

and to think some weren't sure about him.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Mar 2015 11:26

Snowball

See Murray scored again. His figures since he went back to Palace are crazy-good

4 Goals 1 Assist in 366 minutes = a goal every 92 minutes, a goal/assist every 73 minutes, and that in a mid-table side.

His figures for the season look VG too

12 Goals 2 assist in 2,037 minutes = a goal every 180 minutes a goal/assist every 153 minutes

and to think some weren't sure about him.

Well we were basically getting Murray back to fitness for them, they are also better at creating chances than we were when Murray was here.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Mar 2015 12:31

Harpers So Solid Crew I sort of wish we had still stuck with Coppell, I feel he could have been our Sir Alex.

Nameless Coppell ended up staying a little too long though ( ah, I see where the SFA comparison comes in.......)

God knows how far up Coppell's backside you need to be to think he had anything in common with Ferguson beyond Manchester United :|

Where as the latter possessed the total ruthlessness to build then break up at least six teams in his tenure, allowing him to stay in post for a staggering quarter of a century, the former, whilst having a huge talent for building good sides on a shoestring, never reached the top of his profession simply because he couldn't face breaking up the teams and players he became too close to.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 Mar 2015 12:56

^ that may well be true, I guess both he and we will have to settle for the fact that he remains by some chalk our greatest ever manager, eh :?:

I always thought it was a shame he was guilt-tripped into staying on for the 08/09 season tbh.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Mar 2015 13:01

We need a Paisley, a Shankley, a Ferguson etc. Let's hope SC2 can fall in with that group of names in more ways than one :)

356 posts