Next game is Cardiff

bluebird 75

Next game is Cardiff

by bluebird 75 » 22 Mar 2015 15:10

Hi everyone,
As u can see from my name and post I am a Cardiff fan and we meet on April 4th. I am coming up on the Saturday with the family (wife and daughter going to town shopping ) myself and lad to footy. We are staying in the travelodge central. So was wondering wheres best for me and son to go for drink before game and later for 4 of us for food etc.
Thanks in advance

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next game is Cardiff

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2015 16:29

Hi Bluebird (Newport "lad" here)

There are no serious boozers near the ground, Best bet is to get the Madjeski Specials
out to the ground. The Oracle Centre (where your Mrs will be shopping) has about
a dozen "chain" restaurants (all OK, all a tad over-priced)

Thing is, though, will you still have an appetite after losing 4-0?

I don't live in RDG so will leave it to others to suggest pubs

bluebird 75

by bluebird 75 » 22 Mar 2015 17:17

:lol: Ok cheers pal, 4-0 :lol:
what about getting to the stadium i hear its about 3 miles from town centre? Food will probably be dictated by the kids. I will try and get up there early and have a couple of beers in town before the game then. Not too many want to remember Morrison's winning goal :D . U done us there he can't defend at all. Decent heading threat at set pieces

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2015 17:42

There are football specials from near the station (you'd need to ask directions)
or get the Mrs to drop you early

Food wise there's a KFC, McDonalds near. There's food in the Madejski but I think away fans can't get in

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 22 Mar 2015 21:23

Seriously you will not be welcomed anywhere as a Cardiff fan.in colours. If you are with a car I would suggest a family lunch, then Mrs takes the.car back to town for shopping. Then after tthe game take the bus back.to town and get back to hotel for a night out to forget.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 23 Mar 2015 10:04

Jump on one of the many shuttle buses from the station to nthe ground, nice and easy for you. Takes about 15-20 minutes usually.

Congrats on the 3 points.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Mar 2015 12:41

Harpers So Solid Crew Seriously you will not be welcomed anywhere as a Cardiff fan.in colours. If you are with a car I would suggest a family lunch, then Mrs takes the.car back to town for shopping. Then after tthe game take the bus back.to town and get back to hotel for a night out to forget.

Sad

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 23 Mar 2015 14:00

bluebird 75 Hi everyone,
As u can see from my name and post I am a Cardiff fan and we meet on April 4th. I am coming up on the Saturday with the family (wife and daughter going to town shopping ) myself and lad to footy. We are staying in the travelodge central. So was wondering wheres best for me and son to go for drink before game and later for 4 of us for food etc.
Thanks in advance

An honest tip. Get in the car and drive home again. Go out in Cardiff. It's significantly better as a night spot than Reading.

chippc

by chippc » 23 Mar 2015 14:36

You could enjoy the excellent Nags Head in Reading and get their bus to the ground and back. http://nagsheadreading.com/home.php

bluebird 75

by bluebird 75 » 23 Mar 2015 21:27

Thanks for the help everyone. And I'm not sure about the 3 points yes we've won last 3 on the road. But we are not playing very attractive football :oops: . It has improved slightly but still a long way from a top 6 team.
My prediction 1-1.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Mar 2015 11:44

bluebird 75 Thanks for the help everyone. And I'm not sure about the 3 points yes we've won last 3 on the road. But we are not playing very attractive football :oops: . It has improved slightly but still a long way from a top 6 team.
My prediction 1-1.

Just to clarify - the Reading Central Travelodge is a 5/10 minute walk radius from 100+ different bars/restaurants. But you will probably be prevented from going in a lot of the town center ones due to being an away fan.

The nags head is a good shout if you want to go to an old fashion pub that serves a great choice of ale and have a very easy travel up to and back from the game. Kids aren't a problem and there is a small beer 'garden' area. Though it gets busy so don't bank on getting a table after 1 and there's a small chance bus tickets will sell out before 1.30. It's about 5 minute walk from your hotel, but in the opposite direction to the town centre (i.e. where all the bars and restaurants are). Don't go there for food though.

A common recommendation for a family meal in Reading is Sweeney Todds. It's pretty old fashioned and doesn't look like much but the pies are amazing and it's good value.

http://www.sweeneyandtodd.co.uk/

bluebird 75

by bluebird 75 » 24 Mar 2015 12:23

Nags head sounds great thanks. Would they be ok letting us on bus being an away fan?
Banter won't be a problem my boy is 13and heard it all before" sheep shagger" etc :D

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 24 Mar 2015 23:19

Should this really be in Rumours and Gossip?!

(oh, and the traditional welcome to ANY new person, even an away fan, is fuk off newbie)

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 25 Mar 2015 09:54

bluebird 75 Nags head sounds great thanks. Would they be ok letting us on bus being an away fan?
Banter won't be a problem my boy is 13and heard it all before" sheep shagger" etc :D

Like father, like son.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Mar 2015 10:50

bluebird 75 Nags head sounds great thanks. Would they be ok letting us on bus being an away fan?

If you want to go to the Nags you need to get a pass from Silver Fox or Affers on here - they are the "top boys" down there, if you get my drift......

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Mar 2015 15:23

[quote="Elm Park Kid"

A common recommendation for a family meal in Reading is Sweeney Todds. It's pretty old fashioned and doesn't look like much but the pies are amazing and it's good value.

http://www.sweeneyandtodd.co.uk/[/quote]

that^^^
plus its "walking" distance to the ground
if you really like walking

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Mar 2015 15:42

The Nags is absolutely fine for away fans. It's Think middle aged, Camra membership holding, Observer reading, public sector workers rather than "we're going to kick you head in" morons.

The only issue is that occasionally a whole 'coach load' of away fans will turn up and the people that run the bus get wary about home fans not being able to get a ticket. We had that a few years ago with Palace fans basically buying out the bus before anyone local turned up. Hasn't happened in a while though

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Mar 2015 21:01

Three Guineas at the station (handy for buses) is normally an away fans pub. Good ales down the road in the Greyfriar (not sure on away fans policy though)

As for eating, what do you fancy? Reading has a bit of everything, though isn't renowned for its high end quality. London St Brasserie is decent, but may not suit your kids or your wallet.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Mar 2015 10:46

Why the fcuk have Cardiff let Kenwyne Jones leave :shock:

Our game against them just got a little bit easier

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Mar 2015 20:24

TBM Why the fcuk have Cardiff let Kenwyne Jones leave :shock:

Our game against them just got a little bit easier

I am guessing he is on big prem wages still and Cardiff are preparing for next season in the championship and cutting their cloth now rather than waiting until the summer as they aren't going up or down.