Sir Steve

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Sir Steve

by sandman » 26 Mar 2015 10:34

Some would say General Football but personally I think whenever the great man speaks then it should be posted on the board where most will read it.

New interview:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3011919/Steve-Coppell-win-promotion-Premier-League-two-years-English-football-turned-him.html

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Sir Steve

by Royal Lady » 26 Mar 2015 10:42

I have always loved that man and will forever regret the morning of the Derby game when I had an opportunity to hug him at our hotel and Schards wouldn't let me :cry:

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 26 Mar 2015 10:50

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Give him the job for as long as he wanted it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Mar 2015 10:56

Sir Steve fanny merchant

:lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Mar 2015 10:57

Spotted him in Bracknell Sainsbury's earlier this week 8)

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 26 Mar 2015 11:12

Thanks for posting. Didn't think it was a good article but not because of Sir Steve, just poorly written. Still it's good to hear from the man. Never actually met him and i would love to say thanks for what he did for Reading.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Mar 2015 11:48

I honestly thought he retired from management after the Bristol City incident.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Mar 2015 12:13

Steve, if you're reading, please come back and save us.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Mar 2015 12:26

floyd__streete Steve, if you're reading, please come back and save us.

Pretty please Sir Steve!!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 26 Mar 2015 12:49

strap

Our idiot impatiant young fans wouldn't give him the time he (like Clarke) would need. I'd love him back though!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Mar 2015 13:42

SPARTA
strap

Our idiot impatiant young fans wouldn't give him the time he (like Clarke) would need. I'd love him back though!

Well that's a very nice generalisation mr itk. The older ones are just as, if not more, impatient than the younger fans.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 26 Mar 2015 14:02

Thanks for posting that. The man is a living saint.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 26 Mar 2015 19:00

I love the guy, but is it really any wonder why he's unemployed? Quit Bristol because, in his words, his heart wasn't in management anymore. Then took years out of the game. Then re-invented himself as DoF in the lower leagues. Not much success there. Ended up working for free. And now saying he's not 'actively pursuing' a managers job. I can't see many clubs taking a gamble.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Mar 2015 19:10

blueroyals I love the guy, but is it really any wonder why he's unemployed? Quit Bristol because, in his words, his heart wasn't in management anymore. Then took years out of the game. Then re-invented himself as DoF in the lower leagues. Not much success there. Ended up working for free. And now saying he's not 'actively pursuing' a managers job. I can't see many clubs taking a gamble.

I hope something really bad happens to you!*

not really

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 26 Mar 2015 22:06

blueroyals I love the guy, but is it really any wonder why he's unemployed? Quit Bristol because, in his words, his heart wasn't in management anymore. Then took years out of the game. Then re-invented himself as DoF in the lower leagues. Not much success there. Ended up working for free. And now saying he's not 'actively pursuing' a managers job. I can't see many clubs taking a gamble.

That was the official but not the actual reason he left .

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Mar 2015 22:39

SPARTA
strap

You're talking about 8 years ago. Those young fans were probably still young then, but alive.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Mar 2015 22:50

An interesting comment from SC

‘If you know someone at a big club it’s all so sycophantic — “we will guarantee him a game, he will play”. We are prostituting ourselves to get a few scraps from the big boys.

SPARTA
strap

DId you read the article? SC himself would be just as impatient as those fans. He makes it clear that there are 70 clubs he wouldn't join and that he would only consider clubs that would give him the backing to enable him to do the job in 2 years. He's no longer interested in 'building from the bottom up ............I've done that'.

So unlikely to want to join us.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 26 Mar 2015 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 26 Mar 2015 22:52

multisync1830

That was the official but not the actual reason he left .

Indeed.

He did well to get out of City when he did - there was a lot of shit going down.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Mar 2015 11:04

He also left us to pursue other things outside of football.

However, in a day and age where a manager who can get a club promoted into the premier league is often then sacked in favour of one with top flight experience Coppell should be on everyone's list as he would likely only want a rolling/short term contract, Get the team promoted and you don't have to keep him on.

Maybe if his agent was a bit more proactive he might have clubs fighting over his services.

106, 106, he's got the record, 106.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 27 Mar 2015 13:19

The best manager we've ever had, and are likely to ever have. Records like that don't get broken very often. That season was unforgetable, going to games knowing we were going to win, and it was just about by how many. The football was attractive and exciting, and a team spirit I'm still to see matched elsewhere. It's just such a shame that Coppell was let down when it came to investing in the club in the Premier League. Finishing 8th probably made SJM think this was all too easy, and we only needed a tweak here and there (Cisse and Fae still bring tears to my eyes) - how wrong he was! Calling a player or manager a legend is over-used these days, but Sir Steve is most certainly that - and a gentleman to boot!