Guthrie gone

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Will Guthrie be a success at Fulham?

by PistolPete » 26 Mar 2015 19:07

KC Royal
windermere_royal Where is the I couldn`t give a fcuk option?

+ 1
Went for Average, but only by default because that option didn't exist. Should have gone with the Ian Royal option I suppose...

Isn't that the 'Im Ian Royal' option?

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Guthrie gone

by Royality creeps In » 26 Mar 2015 19:35

PistolPete Where's the news on this?

I'm in the minority I know, but I rated Guthrie HIGHLY. Appallingly treated by McDermott who needed quality players for a quality league but ignored him in preference of midfield bypassing hoofball How did he go from a solid squad player at at top 10 team (which Newcastle were at the time) to a bit part player disliked by so many?

Best of luck to the guy, he seemed to be desperate to impress and always gave 100% on the pitch, no idea how people saw otherwise...

Perhaps you should open your eyes
You have to ask yourself why McDermott, Adkins, Clarke and the majority of Reading fans thought he was useless!

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 26 Mar 2015 19:41

GTFI!!!!!

scumbag

by scumbag » 26 Mar 2015 19:43

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 26 Mar 2015 20:09

Doolittle

by Doolittle » 26 Mar 2015 20:12

PistolPete Willing to make a bet with anyone that the overwhelming reviews on Guthrie at Fulham are positive. Staggered by the hate on here!

+1. When fit, trusted and playing regularly, he was usually one of our best players, as far as I could see.

Obviously the refusing to play episode was a bad mistake, but that came from frustration, rather than not caring. He was wrong to throw his toys, but he was entitled to wonder what the point was in signing him, if we just wanted midfield players to run from one box to the other while the ball flew over their heads.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Mar 2015 20:19

Good move all round and a masterstroke by Clarke, getting an expensive player off the payroll and throwing a spanner in the works at Fulham all in one move.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Mar 2015 20:30

He looked decent at the start of last season, but teams soon worked out that he was the fulcrum of the team and just applied pressure and stopped giving him time on the ball. he then got injured and hasn't really ever returned to fitness since. When he has played this year he has looked very slow and off the pace. Suspect he needs games and then he'll come good again, but just not on our payroll

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Mar 2015 22:05

He threw his toys out of the pram and stirred things up to get a game - and then delivered total shit. Got a second chance and then did exactly the same.

So in my mind good riddance. he could of done well here, and he had a lot of chances but he never really delivered.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Mar 2015 22:08

Doolittle
PistolPete Willing to make a bet with anyone that the overwhelming reviews on Guthrie at Fulham are positive. Staggered by the hate on here!

+1. When fit, trusted and playing regularly, he was usually one of our best players, as far as I could see.

Obviously the refusing to play episode was a bad mistake, but that came from frustration, rather than not caring. He was wrong to throw his toys, but he was entitled to wonder what the point was in signing him, if we just wanted midfield players to run from one box to the other while the ball flew over their heads.

You chaps haven't actually watched Reading in the last 5 years, have you?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Mar 2015 23:14

Very good player for us. Treated like shit by McDermott, and it cost us our place in the Premier League and McDermott his job.

Shame about the injuries and mental health issues otherwise again, we'd have been looking at the playoffs last season. But as it is, it isn't worth us paying him big wages for, at best, a slight upgrade on Norwood who is never fit.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Mar 2015 01:37

SCIAG Very good player for us. Treated like shit by McDermott, and it cost us our place in the Premier League and McDermott his job.

Shame about the injuries and mental health issues otherwise again, we'd have been looking at the playoffs last season. But as it is, it isn't worth us paying him big wages for, at best, a slight upgrade on Norwood who is never fit.

:lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2015 01:40

A handful of good games, paid a fortune.
Terrible attitude. Thought he was better than he was everywhere he's been.
Good riddance.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 27 Mar 2015 07:19

Jake Taylor off to Orient on loan.

Appiah (Palace) in on loan - cup-tied.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 27 Mar 2015 08:18

PistolPete He doesn't have many games, he may have to start from the bench... but simple question, will Guthrie get poor, average or good reviews?

Of course they'll be good, to start with. He's motivated again, a good passer, he'll slow their game down etc. Probably what they need, but if he becomes perm and give it 6 months, then ask again! He'll relax, his shitty attitude will come out, he'll fall out with x, y and z, and their reviews will echo many of ours I'm sure. He's an overpaid waster blagging a living off of one good season for Newcastle in the Championship.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Mar 2015 08:26

Well at least its more wages off the bill earlier than hoped. No doubt he'll come back to haunt us with another club next season.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 27 Mar 2015 08:28

Sutekh Well at least its more wages off the bill earlier than hoped. No doubt he'll come back to haunt us with another club next season.

He'll be an easy target for us both on and off the pitch. Have someone snapping at his heels, closing him down, and the odd hard tackle and he'll go missing! Probably the easiest player to keep in your back pocket.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 27 Mar 2015 08:46

Delboy Good riddance anyone who refuses to play should not have stayed. Overpaid has been

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 27 Mar 2015 09:07

SPARTA
PistolPete He doesn't have many games, he may have to start from the bench... but simple question, will Guthrie get poor, average or good reviews?

Of course they'll be good, to start with. He's motivated again, a good passer, he'll slow their game down etc. Probably what they need, but if he becomes perm and give it 6 months, then ask again! He'll relax, his shitty attitude will come out, he'll fall out with x, y and z, and their reviews will echo many of ours I'm sure. He's an overpaid waster blagging a living off of one good season for Newcastle in the Championship.

When has he ever not tried on the pitch?! When?!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Mar 2015 09:14

It's hard to tell with Guthrie. He's not an obvious trier, like Williams or Mackie. It's not his style. I'd say there have been plenty of games where he has not been as involved as he should have been, he's a good player who should have dominated games at this level and to be honest I can't think of many games where you go home saying'wow, Guthrie absolutely controlled that'.