Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer Rebuild

by SCIAG » 03 May 2015 10:34

Sutekh Anyone know where there is a definitive list of Reading players and when their current contracts finish on the web?

Just thinking it might be help to aid speculation as to which players might conceivably be able to be considered to be paid up and which youngsters we should be looking to extend current deal on.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... ract-dates

It doesn't include Dominic Samuel's renewal.

2015 expiries:
Adam Federici
Mikkel Andersen
Jon Henly
Aleks Gogic
Stephen Kelly
Alex Pearce
Pierce Sweeney
Jure Travner
Danny Guthrie
Ryan Edwards
Jem Karacan
Sammi Fridjonsson
Yakubu

And then I think these are the second-year scholars who we haven't already announced that we're keeping:

Marc Ethelston
Zak Jules
Jake Sheppard
Amadu Waritay
Daniel Williams

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 03 May 2015 10:47

Would be sad to see Pearce, Federici or Karacan leave. I'd expect them all to have a big part to play next season.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 May 2015 11:18

I'd expect the out of contract players to be released will be announced next week.

Any idea how long we'll give Feds, Pearce and Jem to accept or decline the new contract offers?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 03 May 2015 14:37

Could do with Boro getting promoted so we get first dibs on all the decent Chelsea players next year.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 May 2015 15:09

Sutekh Suggest trying to get Le Fondre back in the summer. Proven goalscorer averaging a goal every other game when he was here before.

Not the answer. With SC's style of play we need players with movement and pace upfront.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2015 15:12

SCIAG
Sutekh Anyone know where there is a definitive list of Reading players and when their current contracts finish on the web?

Just thinking it might be help to aid speculation as to which players might conceivably be able to be considered to be paid up and which youngsters we should be looking to extend current deal on.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... ract-dates

It doesn't include Dominic Samuel's renewal.

Thanks that's a great piece of work.

So of the players with squad numbers, this lot are up for renewal in the summer

Zat Knight
Jure Travner
Yakubu

Stuart Moore
Danny Guthrie
Jonathan Henly
Stephen Kelly
Adam Federici
Pierce Sweeney
Ryan Edwards
Mikkel Andersen
Alex Pearce
Jem Karacan

The ones in red have been or are expected to be released

Karacan, Pearce and Federici should be re-signed.

Of the rest I think I'd be looking to release certainly one keeper, possibly two if Feds stays (Andersen and Henly most at risk there perhaps?)

Not sure about Stephen Kelly, he does offer a quality defensive right back which is the polar opposite to Chris Gunter so maybe he'll be retained. But then I'd say why didn't club include him when offering new deals to the other three senior professionals so I guess he could be well be released next week as well.

Can't really comment on Pierce Sweeney as I haven't seen anything of him really to be able to form an opinion.

Moving on to the Summer of 2016, these are the current players that are listed for contract expiry, I've highlighted the must keeps and the let's release

Simon Cox - Let's see how next season goes, it actually wouldn't surprise me if he was traded over the summer
Anton Ferdinand - Barring a miracle of a season for him, he'll be released or retire sooner
Liam Kelly - Let's see how next season goes
Aaron Kuhl - Extend asap
Daniel Lincoln - Let's see how next season goes
Sean Long - Let's see how next season goes
Andrija Novakovich - Let's see how next season goes
Jack Stacey - Let's see how next season goes
Jake Cooper - Extend asap
Tarique Fosu-Henry - Extend asap
Shane Griffin - Let's see how next season goes
Niall Keown - Let's see how next season goes
Hope Akpan - Sell or Release
Nick Blackman - Sell or Release
Chris Gunter - Let's see how next season goes, it actually wouldn't surprise me if he was traded over the summer
Pavel Pogrebnyak - Sell or Release
Dominic Samuel - Let's see how next season goes
Michael Hector - Extend asap (like Tuesday morning at 9am)
Jake Taylor - Let's see how next season goes
Hal Robson-Kanu - Sell or Release

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 03 May 2015 16:03

Easy to say let's just release players but if they're under contract it's not as simple as that. We might need to look at paying contracts off of some - especially if they are disrupting team harmony but it will cost money and will presumably have implications for FFP too.

I would like to see us playing hard ball with the likes of Pog, Blackman and HRK, i.e. under-performing big earners. I would hope, if no bids for permanent transfers are incoming, the club would be telling them to find a suitable loan move (even if we have to make a contribution to wages) or they'll be playing in the reserves for the next year with no opportunity for win bonuses, etc or being able to promote themselves to future employers.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2015 16:30

Those seem fair shouts except Stacey who I'd add to the asap list.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 03 May 2015 17:04

This is how I would like the squad to look.

Federici

Gunter
Hector
Pearce
Obita

New aggressive DM(assuming we can't get Chalobah back)
CM -Karacan
CM- Williams

RW-McCleary
CF- new forward with some pace & movement
LW- new signing, creativity & goals

Subs-

Henly
Cooper
Keown
Kuhl
Norwood
Stacey or Fosu
Pog or Samuel

Release all the other out of contract players & sell Akpan,Blackman, HRK & Simon Cox

Really hope we can hold onto Jem & Feds but if Pearce leaves I think he would be easily replaceable.

So I only think we need three new good standard championship signings. Lasse Vibe could fill the LW or CF role potentially.
Last edited by LoyalRoyal22 on 03 May 2015 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 03 May 2015 17:06

Royalcop Easy to say let's just release players but if they're under contract it's not as simple as that. We might need to look at paying contracts off of some - especially if they are disrupting team harmony but it will cost money and will presumably have implications for FFP too.

I would like to see us playing hard ball with the likes of Pog, Blackman and HRK, i.e. under-performing big earners. I would hope, if no bids for permanent transfers are incoming, the club would be telling them to find a suitable loan move (even if we have to make a contribution to wages) or they'll be playing in the reserves for the next year with no opportunity for win bonuses, etc or being able to promote themselves to future employers.

This. It worked with Drenthe.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 May 2015 17:11

I'd imagine Kelly will be off in the Summer, would be useful as a back-up but he currently earns too much to be a back up player and we have some good young right backs coming through that would fit that role nicely.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 May 2015 18:00

If players are under contract and you want them gone, then tell them nicely that they don't feature in your plans and if they want to speak to other clubs and arrange something then you would release them, But don't transfer list them otherwise you have to pay up their contract!

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 03 May 2015 19:41

Forbury Lion If players are under contract and you want them gone, then tell them nicely that they don't feature in your plans and if they want to speak to other clubs and arrange something then you would release them, But don't transfer list them otherwise you have to pay up their contract!

The club has been trying to off load the 'big' earners but no one was/is interested.

from a players perspective: Why move to another club and take a pay cut?

Nope like Roberts who just took the money week in week out without a care in the world or even any intention of ever playing again, they bide their time and cross that bridge when it comes.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2015 19:49

There's an issue with telling players that they will rot in the reserves. We don't have a reserve team !
Technically we could play them in the U21 side but that would be at the expense of our developing youngsters and be counter productive.
To simply tell them they won't get any kind of game might possibly leave us open to a constructive dismissal claim !
So a bit of a dilemma, especially if people think we have a few players that aren't worth playing.
Obviously the best solution is for the manager to work out the problem with the player and solve it, so we actually gave a player who contributes. They are all good enough players, they just aren't delivering (either in reality or based on the fans expectations)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 May 2015 20:29

Can't be constructive dismissal if the club keeps paying them in accordance with their contract until it expires.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 May 2015 22:26

If they go out on loan at least part of their wage bill gets covered.

Interesting view by Bob Wilson on Feds. Said that he is too short to be a top class keeper. As is is 5 inches shorter than the average prem keeper. If a shot goes to either top corner. Fed's too short to reach it. Have to add that Bob Wilson was actually very positive. Just highlighted why he'd never be a top keeper.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2015 22:37

Odd that Feds regularly makes saves in the top corners.....

Maybe he uses smaller goals.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 May 2015 22:47

Nameless Odd that Feds regularly makes saves in the top corners.....

Depends on positioning.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 May 2015 22:48

Updated the TTE page, thanks for the reminder on Samuel! :mrgreen:

Loans taken off too. :cry:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 May 2015 22:55

Nameless Odd that Feds regularly makes saves in the top corners.....

Maybe he uses smaller goals.

Maybe he could use goals where the near post is a little closer to him? His only big failing in my eyes tends to be his inability to cover at the near post.

1897 posts