Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Rebuild

by RoyallyFcuked » 01 Sep 2015 22:54

3points Anyone else thinking that Sa may struggle for game time now?

Possibly won't get as much as he would have done had we not signed Vydra, who is surely now our no1 choice.

Depends what formation we play, if we have only one up front then Vydra would probably be first choice, though Sa could be better than Vydra at playing on his own upfront, we don't know. Possibly there could be a front 3 that includes both of them although I'm not sure thats the best option.

Vydra is better with a partner, and I'd say Sa would partner him with Blackman dropping to the bench, bit harsh on Nick as he's started well this season but there's no reason why he can't make an impact off the bench when playing as a striker (he is not a winger)

Say for example if Sa hasn't scored for 2 games but Blackman came off the bench and scored in the last game then perhaps Blackman would get to start in the next game (alongside the free scoring Vydra) :wink:

Think we will see the wingers and midfielders being moved around a bit too based on performance, this is just squad rotation really and its certainly a good thing to have providing the replacements are good, which I think ours will be.

EverHopeful

Re: Roundup

by EverHopeful » 01 Sep 2015 22:57

not overly happy to have sold Hector but reckon he has pretty much balanced the books with what we have brought in together with the salary releases of Pog, pearce, Karacan, guthrie etc..............11 players for 5 seems a fair swap, providing they are good enough. On paper we look scary going forward and pretty steady at the back but not many of us have actually seen what most of the newbies are like week to week when its pissing down and cold. Brave call by NH & NH & owners so guess we just have to enjoy the ride.
No-one honestly had expectations of top 6 this year really, so maybe, just maybe these changes and refreshing of the squad will sneak us in....will either be fun or the normal of 6 pints before the game and several more after. Bring it on !

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 01 Sep 2015 23:01

Just wait till we lose the first game.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Well done Reading

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Sep 2015 23:06

That's a very long first sentance :?

EverHopeful

Re: Well done Reading

by EverHopeful » 01 Sep 2015 23:10

WoodleyRoyal That's a very long first sentance :?

or sentence even!!! still long though...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2015 23:13

Angry Shed Sex Just wait till we lose the first game.

Of course we'll lose games. Other teams have strengthened as well. Going to be a tough league this year. There's no whipping boy aka Blackpool.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 01 Sep 2015 23:15

Lower West
Angry Shed Sex Just wait till we lose the first game.

Of course we'll lose games. Other teams have strengthened as well. Going to be a tough league this year. There's no whipping boy aka Blackpool.

Just waiting for the standard Team board meltdown with the usual suspects when it happens.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 01 Sep 2015 23:19

We now have several options, be it a home or away games, and we don't have to rely on the young lads who, after all are still learning their trade, good chances now for them to be loaned out to some first division sides and get some very valuable on pitch experience in games to come back here next season pushing for a first team berth, all in all, on paper, a hell of a summer window for us, manager backed by the owners, you really couldn't ask for much more than what they have done.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 02 Sep 2015 00:03

All our first team signings this summer, good luck to all of them - URZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

8)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2015 00:22

If you look at the overall squad, its definitely now defensively imbalanced, which is rather ironic all things being considered.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 02 Sep 2015 02:51

Overall I'm pleased with what Clarke has done in this window. And yet ...

I'm sorry we have lost Hector. Even though he will be available for us for the rest of this season, he will only be here on loan.

And that is true for so many of the players we now have. They are not Reading players. They are here on loan with no (or little) genuine commitment to our club. Piazon, Vydra, Fernandez, Taylor and John are all here on loan (as will be Hector!). Yet Khul (a potential future Reading captain in my opinion) has been shipped out on loan to Dundee. We have a great youth set-up here so why aren't we using it to bring players into the first team? And what message does this send out to our academy players? That keeping faith with us will result in them warming our bench at best?

Yes - we needed, desperately needed, a proven goal scorer and Vydra will, hopefully, fill that gap. But what happens now to some of our bright prospects in whom we have invested so much time and money - players like Samuel, Tshibola, Fosu, etc? Are they now sidelined? Or are we encouraging them to find other clubs to join?

There needs to be a balance between bringing in new players and developing our own youth players and I am not convinced that we have that balance right at the moment.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Sep 2015 02:52

Not having an international class back up at right back doesn't really make us hugely imbalanced. We've got a very solid looking first choice back for, options at centre back and left back and if Gunter gets crocked we do have a choice between Hector and Keown to replace him. So whilst possibly it's a slight weakness I'm not sure it's huge.
Of course given what we have signed up front there is an imbalance but I don't think signing another half dozen centre backs just to balance things up would make sense !

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Sep 2015 05:37

Well I suppose it's all quite exciting in its way but the disconnect between (this) fan and club has grown again.

Ola John? Do me a favour.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Sep 2015 05:38

marlowuk Overall I'm pleased with what Clarke has done in this window. And yet ...

I'm sorry we have lost Hector. Even though he will be available for us for the rest of this season, he will only be here on loan.

And that is true for so many of the players we now have. They are not Reading players. They are here on loan with no (or little) genuine commitment to our club. Piazon, Vydra, Fernandez, Taylor and John are all here on loan (as will be Hector!). Yet Khul (a potential future Reading captain in my opinion) has been shipped out on loan to Dundee. We have a great youth set-up here so why aren't we using it to bring players into the first team? And what message does this send out to our academy players? That keeping faith with us will result in them warming our bench at best?

Yes - we needed, desperately needed, a proven goal scorer and Vydra will, hopefully, fill that gap. But what happens now to some of our bright prospects in whom we have invested so much time and money - players like Samuel, Tshibola, Fosu, etc? Are they now sidelined? Or are we encouraging them to find other clubs to join?

There needs to be a balance between bringing in new players and developing our own youth players and I am not convinced that we have that balance right at the moment.

Sadly they're just not ready yet and some of them never will be.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 02 Sep 2015 07:00

I am wondering if this 'wind of change' was apparent to the squad even before some of the new arrivals and has accounted in any way for Blackman's (and to a lesser extent HRK's) recent improvements? Anyway cannot express quite the same enthusiasm as the majority here - there was a Watford fan on 606 at the weekend bemoaning the fact that recent events at his club had ripped its soul out and that the team were a bunch of strangers with no real connection or affection for the club. He said he would far rather be playing in the Championship than playing in the Premiership under the current setup - I wonder how long before some of us are expressing similar sentiments? I know this is the way the game appears to be going and I am looking forward to seeing much more exciting football than witnessed over the last couple of season's........ BUT with a slightly 'heavy heart' :cry:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Sep 2015 07:13

Steve I share your concerns to a large extent.
But as yet we have no idea what sort of players we have signed. We might find that like previous foreign imports (Marcus, Ivar, Bryn etc) they embrace the club and become fans favourites. Even last season plenty of people quickly took to Jamie Mackie. Sa's comments post Brentford were promising and we may find Hurtado, John and others become more than short term mercenaries wearing the shirt for the money. At least we should give them a chance.
As someone who watches the u21 games I do feel sad that for at least the time being we're not likely to see more of our kids progress, although if they don't go on loan we'll have a hell of an u.21 side ! I do expect lots of them to be off to League 1 sides for the season and will watch their progress with interest. I hope in a year or 2 they will form the backbone of our Premiership team.
As you point out a return to attractive , winning, goal scoring football will be good but not at any cost. Maybe as fans we need to think if we can ensure the heart and soul are not lost. How did Palace start their terrace culture ? It's a newish thing and it must havecome from somewhere.....

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Sep 2015 07:16

Nameless Not having an international class back up at right back doesn't really make us hugely imbalanced. We've got a very solid looking first choice back for, options at centre back and left back and if Gunter gets crocked we do have a choice between Hector and Keown to replace him. So whilst possibly it's a slight weakness I'm not sure it's huge.
Of course given what we have signed up front there is an imbalance but I don't think signing another half dozen centre backs just to balance things up would make sense !

Hector will do the job at right back. If we'd signed a different young defender from Chelsea, and were told he could also fill in at right back, we'd all be none the wiser and happy with the cover. So let's just pretend.

JIM

by JIM » 02 Sep 2015 07:27

You will either LOVE them or HATE them as any other players who arrive at the club. But at least give them and the manager a little time to prove you wrong.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 02 Sep 2015 07:51

The amount of loans in this transfer window reading fc have been involved in has surely been a suprise. However on reflection it is symptomatic of a totally ludicrous transfer market,akin to the housing market. I guess it's the new way to ensure a team can improve its squad,without comitting huge wages and fees risking the wrath of ffp.

Whilst there are risks with this approach I think it something to be embraced. Yes you can argue some players are thinking of their next offer and where their commitment lies.However many of these players are not in the picture at their parent clubs and know they need to show their worth to continue a career. A year long loan will do this far more than a token month or 2.

I also think that the competition for places is exactly what this club needs. Last year we had a relative first 11 who played so far below themselves as there were no better options on the bench . It is something I don't want to see again at reading. Granted competition for places makes players unhappy at not playing all the time, but isn't that what management is all about, to manage players expectations and include the group?. We clearly needed to get rid of the deadwood and improve in key areas, we have done it cleverly with the likes of quinn/mcshane. The loans have supplemented the squad,there is no point in paying 750k for an over inflated league 2 player where there are question marks whether he would improve the group.
Last edited by holsgrove breaks a leg on 02 Sep 2015 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

Esteban

by Esteban » 02 Sep 2015 08:02

Nameless Steve I share your concerns to a large extent.
But as yet we have no idea what sort of players we have signed. We might find that like previous foreign imports (Marcus, Ivar, Bryn etc) they embrace the club and become fans favourites. Even last season plenty of people quickly took to Jamie Mackie. Sa's comments post Brentford were promising and we may find Hurtado, John and others become more than short term mercenaries wearing the shirt for the money. At least we should give them a chance.
As someone who watches the u21 games I do feel sad that for at least the time being we're not likely to see more of our kids progress, although if they don't go on loan we'll have a hell of an u.21 side ! I do expect lots of them to be off to League 1 sides for the season and will watch their progress with interest. I hope in a year or 2 they will form the backbone of our Premiership team.
As you point out a return to attractive , winning, goal scoring football will be good but not at any cost. Maybe as fans we need to think if we can ensure the heart and soul are not lost. How did Palace start their terrace culture ? It's a newish thing and it must havecome from somewhere.....

The soul of the club comes from the fans though, doesn't it? Plenty of players we've signed permanently haven't bought into the club and there have been lots of loan players that are fans favourites.

I understand where you are coming from, but if Clarke has another poor season, he'll get the sack. Why would he give time to academy players, because most fans wouldn't give him the time to build a side. Besides, we gave more debuts to academy players last season than ever before and we had our worst season for 10 years or more. If Tshibola and one or two others make 25-30 appearances between them this season, I think that would be a pretty good return. No reason to think that won't happen. Tshibola will probably get that himself.

1897 posts