Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Esteban

Re: Roundup

by Esteban » 01 Sep 2015 21:51

Lacoste Well, give Clarke his dues he delivered on his promise. We have signed two new strikers, two central midfield players, three wide midfield/attackers a fullback, centre back and two goal keepers. He and the Thais have delivered on their promise.

Clarke went about his business professionally and methodically and whilst I still don't think he's necessarily the right man for the job, he was impressing me off the field even though the results on the field have been poor since his arrival.

This was until today.

Today he has spent a relative fortune on a player that we will only see for one season. Believe it or not, I'm overjoyed that we have signed Vydra however the manner in which he has come in leaves a hugely sour taste in my mouth.

Many of you are correct, if he fires us to promotion then what the hell, the money is small fry but for that to happen we need to be one of the best three teams in this division. Can anyone here really see that happening?

Many of you also say that this is just modern football and that we'd be whinging if we didn't get a new striker and that the club can't win. This is all valid however surely a clever manager wouldn't have spent the whole summer chasing a player, who in all reality, was going to sign for a far bigger Club than us.

Sure, we have signed a great forward at this level but he isn't ours, this isn't building and unless a miracle happens this isn't a step forward

I would have much preferred us to have done some proper management and scouting and found one or maybe even two players from somewhere for the same cost even if it was from the lower leagues that would take time to adapt, someone we can call ours and start building a great team full of heart, spirit and a team we can call our own, not a team full of loan signings who frankly, probably won't give a fcuk.

That moves me on to this character John. Wtf is this all about. Another heartless loan and you've all seen what the Lisbon fans think of him. It all sounds too familiar.Is this guy seriously going to have the bottle and the spirit to battle it out with the championships hardened pros on a cold winters evening when the chips are down? maybe, maybe not. I highly doubt it though. At least it's only a loan and we can send him back.

We have 6 loan players now, 6. This isn't RFC and this isn't a club evolving, this is poor foresight by Clarke and maybe, just maybe a lack of scouting ability. We will never get to know this team because they'll all be gone at the end of the season. Build slowly and cleverly, that's how we've always had success.

Like I say, apart from Al-habsi, John and Vydra I'm really happy with the way Clarke has gone about this summer however today just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

He has put his nuts on the block, I just hope it works out for him.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

One loan enforced upon un because Hector's move was a surprise and we had no time to sign a permanent replacement. So that's 5. In 2005/06 and 2011/12 we had 4 players in on loan.

And yes we've gambled £2.5m on a player to get us up this season. That's still far less than a number of other clubs have spent.

You've either got to sit back and enjoy the ride, or get off before it starts, because unfortunately, this type of spending is only going to increase as the Premier League gets richer and the demand for instant success grows. I understand your position, but it's going to get worse as the Premier League bubble becomes wealthier.

Reminds me of mid-90's Italian football, in a way.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Rebuild

by howser » 01 Sep 2015 21:51

A fair bit of unsurprising negativity about the moves we have made this window, we have all been cryng out for something like this to happen, we now wait to see the outcome , but for god sake back the guys .....................

JIM

by JIM » 01 Sep 2015 21:55

Sir Rodger Dodger is now Lacoste

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 01 Sep 2015 21:57

Woodcote Royal
Mr Cinema
Lacoste Well, give Clarke his dues he delivered on his promise. We have signed two new strikers, two central midfield players, three wide midfield/attackers a fullback, centre back and two goal keepers. He and the Thais have delivered on their promise.

Clarke went about his business professionally and methodically and whilst I still don't think he's necessarily the right man for the job, he was impressing me off the field even though the results on the field have been poor since his arrival.

This was until today.

Today he has spent a relative fortune on a player that we will only see for one season. Believe it or not, I'm overjoyed that we have signed Vydra however the manner in which he has come in leaves a hugely sour taste in my mouth.

Many of you are correct, if he fires us to promotion then what the hell, the money is small fry but for that to happen we need to be one of the best three teams in this division. Can anyone here really see that happening?

Many of you also say that this is just modern football and that we'd be whinging if we didn't get a new striker and that the club can't win. This is all valid however surely a clever manager wouldn't have spent the whole summer chasing a player, who in all reality, was going to sign for a far bigger Club than us.

Sure, we have signed a great forward at this level but he isn't ours, this isn't building and unless a miracle happens this isn't a step forward

I would have much preferred us to have done some proper management and scouting and found one or maybe even two players from somewhere for the same cost even if it was from the lower leagues that would take time to adapt, someone we can call ours and start building a great team full of heart, spirit and a team we can call our own, not a team full of loan signings who frankly, probably won't give a fcuk.

That moves me on to this character John. Wtf is this all about. Another heartless loan and you've all seen what the Lisbon fans think of him. It all sounds too familiar.Is this guy seriously going to have the bottle and the spirit to battle it out with the championships hardened pros on a cold winters evening when the chips are down? maybe, maybe not. I highly doubt it though. At least it's only a loan and we can send him back.

We have 6 loan players now, 6. This isn't RFC and this isn't a club evolving, this is poor foresight by Clarke and maybe, just maybe a lack of scouting ability. We will never get to know this team because they'll all be gone at the end of the season. Build slowly and cleverly, that's how we've always had success.

Like I say, apart from Al-habsi, John and Vydra I'm really happy with the way Clarke has gone about this summer however today just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

Lacoste : Before today A neat and tidy borderline racist 5/10

Lacoste: After today. A dismal failing Try Hard Troll 2/10

And yet another attention seeking twat :|

Frankly, any Reading fan who isn't happy tonight needs to consider their position.

I'm seriously tempted to place some bets on our season but will probably, as usual, do SFA about it :P

Just having my own window on this campaign watching the best assembled squad in our history for a mere £400 feels like a decent win on the lottery.

Fantastic business by all involved and I'll be amazed if the next home gate is under 20k

Wow!!! Just effing wow....................bring it on!!!

This post just about nails it. Today was a fantastic day for the club, we're all very lucky.

Mr Cinema

by Mr Cinema » 01 Sep 2015 21:59

Esteban

This was until today.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

One loan enforced upon un because Hector's move was a surprise and we had no time to sign a permanent replacement. So that's 5. In 2005/06 and 2011/12 we had 4 players in on loan.

And yes we've gambled £2.5m on a player to get us up this season. That's still far less than a number of other clubs have spent.

You've either got to sit back and enjoy the ride, or get off before it starts, because unfortunately, this type of spending is only going to increase as the Premier League gets richer and the demand for instant success grows. I understand your position, but it's going to get worse as the Premier League bubble becomes wealthier.

Reminds me of mid-90's Italian football, in a way.

11m for Rhodes, 10m for McCormack, 9m for Andre Gray or just over 2m for a years loan for Vydra?

it's a tough one .....

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 01 Sep 2015 22:00

This was until today.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

BEST POST OF THE DAY

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Sep 2015 22:04

And people were moaning that we were going to spend £1.5m on Clayton Donaldson :shock:

I'm looking forward to playing starting line up roulette for the next few games.

I just wonder where it leaves players like HRK, Blackman, Cox and even McCleary. Fernandez seems to be a signing we didn't really need given the business we've done today.

Also, assume that Stacey and Fosu are likely to go out on loan as well now once the loan window opens

Mr Cinema

by Mr Cinema » 01 Sep 2015 22:07

strap

This was until today.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

BEST POST OF THE DAY

Phew.Thanks for the endorsement Strap. For a minute there I was beginning to think Mr Lacoste might just have had a point.

Stick to numbers Strap because you're bollocks at words.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Sep 2015 22:11

Mr Cinema
strap

This was until today.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

BEST POST OF THE DAY

Phew.Thanks for the endorsement Strap. For a minute there I was beginning to think Mr Lacoste might just have had a point.

THE REAL BEST POST OF THE DAY

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 01 Sep 2015 22:12

Woodcote Royal Frankly, any Reading fan who isn't happy tonight needs to consider their position.

I'm seriously tempted to place some bets on our season but will probably, as usual, do SFA about it :P

Just having my own window on this campaign watching the best assembled squad in our history for a mere £400 feels like a decent win on the lottery.

Fantastic business by all involved and I'll be amazed if the next home gate is under 20k

Wow!!! Just effing wow....................bring it on!!!

Yep, that pretty much sums it up! Now can't wait for the next match to see how the starting XI evolves from here... exciting times :D

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Sep 2015 22:13

Mr Cinema
blythspartan WOW.....

What an amazing transfer window. I hope it proves to be as successful as the 2005/2006 season.

It won't

blythspartan options for the long Championship season and we have to trust that SC can keep everyone happy and get the best from this squad.

He won't

blythspartan Can't believe that some on here are still moaning. I just don't think that you can have too much quality.

You can only pick 11, our best seasons have been built on smaller tight knit squads

blythspartan remember going to Forest last season with a young team and very few options on the bench. We got murdered on the day and I seriously thought league 2 here we come.

So basically you were completely wrong.

blythspartan business by the club to make a genuine promotion push without breaking the bank.

Great post.

At last someone has bothered to read one of my posts. Thank you Mr Cinema sir.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2015 22:13

Mr Cinema
strap

This was until today.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

BEST POST OF THE DAY

So should we labour along not getting anywhere while we hope youngsters come good or take the opportunity to get promoted by adding some experience and a wow factor. Club would be lambasted whatever path they went down so can't really win. And who's to say we wouldn't sign Vydra if it all worked out?

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 01 Sep 2015 22:18

3points And people were moaning that we were going to spend £1.5m on Clayton Donaldson :shock:

I'm looking forward to playing starting line up roulette for the next few games.

I just wonder where it leaves players like HRK, Blackman, Cox and even McCleary. Fernandez seems to be a signing we didn't really need given the business we've done today.

Also, assume that Stacey and Fosu are likely to go out on loan as well now once the loan window opens

This is actually a good side effect for the likes of our youngsters - I'd rather them get more experience loaned out and have them "battle hardened". For HRK: who gives a FCUK. At minimum, having a left winger should push him even more (and let's be fair, his last few games haven't been bad). For Blackman, he seems to be coming into his own and the arrival of others will also give him a kick up the backside. For Cox: he's toast.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 01 Sep 2015 22:20

strap
Angry Shed Sex Vydra clearly wants prem football. In the event of Reading attaining premiership football and Vydra playing a significant part in this surely we'll be in the box seat to sign him?

If we don't we are minimising our exposure to a player with high wage demands.

I really can't see a downside to this.

You can't see a downside to spunking £2.5M on a loan fee for a single season coupled with £1M wages for a single player when we didn't have enouigh money to keep Federici, Pearce and Karacan????

Planet.Are,You.On.What?

Let's look at it another way: Feds wanted out - no chance he would've stayed. We didn't want Pearce at the wages HE likely wanted, and Karacan is a bigger risk than signing a loanee from another continent.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 01 Sep 2015 22:23

3points And people were moaning that we were going to spend £1.5m on Clayton Donaldson :shock:

This is a decent point. Blackman looks as though he has discovered some footballing ability from a woeful start, but Vydra is a proven goalscorer. Hopefully we can accomodate both. Having kept McCleary, suddenly our attacking options look threatening to any team.

Overall people will always moan about expensive signings, loans or otherwise. The Championship is becoming as much of a money game as the Prem (or because of it), and we have to keep up.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Sep 2015 22:28

strap

This was until today.

Before today 9/10

After today 6/10

BEST POST OF THE DAY

*cringe*

EuroRoyal

Well done Reading

by EuroRoyal » 01 Sep 2015 22:28

Probably the most impactful transfer window I've seen since they began and, yes, I have been supporting Reading since the last century and, yes, I have been reading the site for many years and, yes, this is my first post, so I await the "newbie" abuse, but shouldn't we all be saying that, for the first time in many years, the club has under promised and over delivered in a transfer window, and that we should all be excited about the upcoming few months.
It's now up to the manager, coaching staff and players to deliver to their undoubted ability and I for one, cannot wait!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Sep 2015 22:29

Anyone else thinking that Sa may struggle for game time now?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 01 Sep 2015 22:33

sandman
strap
Angry Shed Sex Vydra clearly wants prem football. In the event of Reading attaining premiership football and Vydra playing a significant part in this surely we'll be in the box seat to sign him?

If we don't we are minimising our exposure to a player with high wage demands.

I really can't see a downside to this.

You can't see a downside to spunking £2.5M on a loan fee for a single season coupled with £1M wages for a single player when we didn't have enouigh money to keep Federici, Pearce and Karacan????

Planet.Are,You.On.What?

Earth, try joining us.

Amazingly, I agree with Sandboy

We couldn't keep Feds because he wanted to move on, Karacan was an injury prone and frankly average player that we didnt need to keep anyway, and as for Pearce... :lol: the guy was a complete liability (especially last season) and had been mostly shit since the season we went up. With Pearce gone we are free from any hoofers for the first time in years and also from his style corrupting an otherwise decent defence at this level.

Every player that Clarke has let go this summer, he made the right choice, it was time for them to move on. You could argue that the ONLY player that hasn't been replaced at least adequately is Feds, although that could still happen too.

If thats your main reason for being angry about us spending £2.5m on a proven quality player then that makes your posts even more stupid.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2015 22:47

3points Anyone else thinking that Sa may struggle for game time now?

Actually no. Sa has lacked support (someone with pace) so far this season. HRK has been the weak link in the front 3.

1897 posts