Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Rebuild

by linkenholtroyal » 21 May 2015 14:41

Has been reported that marriappa is 2 games away from a pay day for reading, appearance relayed pay out, not saying we should have him back, but apparently they are looking to offload him before that clause is met, do u reckon there is a sell on clause to?? Would make a few penny's for the club.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 21 May 2015 15:40

linkenholtroyal
mambo3 MK Dons have made a bid for Dom Samuel

Doubt it he's injured atm

He's back training

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 May 2015 16:49

Forbury Lion To be fair, The product on offer does have an impact on the renewal or no renewal decision.

Team playing well - high demand for tickets, so you might decide to get a ST to ensure you can always get a seat, even if there are games you can not attend, You are see it as a good investment as you think you will get great enjoyment out of attending. If you have kids, they will also be excited to go.

Team playing badly - half empty stadium, guaranteed a ticket for every game if you want one so why not pay as you go and factoring in the games you can't attend, it might work out cheaper, You are also less likely to enjoy the matchday experience and therefore may opt to spend the money on something else that you will enjoy e.g. alcohol. Also if you have kids they may not want to be dragged along.

That's exactly it - I still intend to come to see Reading next season. But at the same time, if they continue to serve up the dross of the last 2 seasons, I might be inclined to do something else on some weekends. I already this season missed some weekday games where the choice was attending training of my son's team (which I manage/coach) or going to watch Reading .... this wouldn't have been a consideration if I'd not had anything to do with what else to do Tuesday evenings and the ground was just down the road from me.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 May 2015 18:42

Club in discussions
Reading Football Club have held contract discussions with first team players Adam Federici, Alex Pearce, Jem Karacan and Stephen Kelly.

Their contracts are expiring this summer and the Club have made offers to all four, with discussions now ongoing.

We are also in talks with a number of young players regarding new contracts. The Club have already taken up the option to extend Dominic Samuel's contract, while we are pleased to announce that goalkeeper Stuart Moore, defender Pierce Sweeney and midfielder Sammi Fridjonsson have all agreed new deals. Craig Tanner signed an extension earlier in the season.

Goalkeeper Mikkel Andersen is out of contract this summer and the Club have not offered a contract to him at this stage.

In our Under 18s group Alex Andresson has already inked a new deal. Lewis Collins, Conor Davis and Sindri Scheving have agreed to commit to the club and more youngsters will sign on shortly.

As always a number of players are departing Madejski Stadium following the expiration of their contracts.

Senior professionals Danny Guthrie, Zat Knight, Yakubu and Jure Travner are all moving on with the Club's very best wishes.

Young players Ryan Edwards, Dan Lincoln, Jonathan Henly, George McLennan and Aleks Gogic also depart and we would like to put on record our sincere gratitude to them.

As we enter our third year out of the Premier League, the Club's owners recognise the need for Steve Clarke to freshen his squad ahead of the new campaign, and this is the beginning of that process. After a period of financial instability and with the Financial Fair Play regulations in place, the owners are also making a concerted effort to get back to the sensible wage principles that have long been the Club's trademark. Striking the right balance will be key to a sustainable model for success.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 May 2015 19:40

One of the skills of management is not just letting players go when their contracts expire but also moving players on who are still in contract but not good enough.
In this category we have Robson-Kanu, Blackman and some would say Pog so if the club really does want to "freshen up" the squad and to bring in players that might get us higher than 18th (where these and the rest have got us ) I feel that more needs to be done to get these players out.
Some clubs and managers are very adept and doing this but I feel that we haven't been one of those and I would like to see more than just the out of contract and fringe players moved on to genuinely freshen up our squad.
Keeping Robson-Kanu and Blackman would IMHO be a non-statement of intent and we would be looking forward to the same old next season.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 21 May 2015 20:02

Victor Meldrew Some clubs and managers are very adept and doing this but I feel that we haven't been one of those and I would like to see more than just the out of contract and fringe players moved on to genuinely freshen up our squad.

To be fair Clarke somehow managed to get rid of Drenthe (for a fee?) and managed to loan out Guthrie.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 May 2015 20:20

So that's Federici, Andersen, Henly and Lincoln all on their way out... (possibly)

I know Stuart Moore got POTS at Basingstoke but blimey....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2015 20:50

Royal Rother So that's Federici, Andersen, Henly and Lincoln all on their way out... (possibly)

Pretty strong sign we're looking at bringing in at least one keeper regardless.

Slightly surprised about offering both Kelly and Gunter deals.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 May 2015 21:59

Ian Royal
Royal Rother So that's Federici, Andersen, Henly and Lincoln all on their way out... (possibly)

Gunter signed weeks ago and Kelly has never let us down IMO. Also we have a very young squad and so a few old heads like Kelly will be needed to bring the young players on.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 May 2015 22:29

Yep, plus there's no point faffing around trying to find a good enough understudy to Gunter when we've got an experienced one who can help bring Long through as well

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 May 2015 22:35

There's a tactical use for him too. He doesn't get forward well, but he's a better defender than Gunter, and i'd rather have him back there when we're defending a lead.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 May 2015 00:40

I know Gunter signed weeks ago. Doesn't make me any less surprised we've offered contracts to both. I know we've shifted Cummings and i hope Gunters taken a solid pay cut, but i couldn't see them both being affordable given our position.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 May 2015 08:23

Ian Royal I know Gunter signed weeks ago. Doesn't make me any less surprised we've offered contracts to both. I know we've shifted Cummings and i hope Gunters taken a solid pay cut, but i couldn't see them both being affordable given our position.

I think with Gunter - despite his failing - you'd be able to sell him for a decent fee .... so makes sense to renew his contract. Kelly is just decent back-up .... and will obviously be offered a significantly lower wage.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 22 May 2015 08:24

Ian Royal

I was 50/50 about Andersen, but the Kelly and Lincoln news has come as a surprise. Didn't think we could afford to keep Kelly, though we don't know what we've offered him, it may be peanuts in relation to what he's currently on. Glad he's been offered a new deal anyway. Thought we'd probably lose 3 keepers including Fed, didn't think for a moment that Lincoln would go as well. Definitely looks like Moore will be our number 2 next season now.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 May 2015 08:50

Elm Park Kid For most fans I don't see how the quality of the team effects your decision to renew your ST or not. Ok, if you're a casual who just wants to watch some reasonable football then I can understand how you wouldn't want to spend a season seeing RFC struggling - however for more dedicated fans it's really just deciding whether a ST makes sense for you.

I'll renew as long as my friends continue to do so, I don't have any other commitments at the weekends and the price doesn't go up to much. I wouldn't care if we're getting beat by Eastleigh in the conference.

Some people want to be entertained by the football. Others just want to get away from the wife and go OI OI SAVELOY with some other blokes and boast about how watching football is about supporting a team through thick and thin, launching into boring stories about shit football matches they have wasted life gawping at.

Different strokes for different folks.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 May 2015 09:45

Ian Royal i hope Gunters taken a solid pay cut

Er. We took up the clause to extend his existing contract a season. It'll be same terms.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 May 2015 09:56

maffff
Ian Royal i hope Gunters taken a solid pay cut

Er. We took up the clause to extend his existing contract a season. It'll be same terms.

For good reason to. He was never going to sign on reduced terms, there'd be far too much interest for him to need to, and if we didn't take up the option we'd have lost him for nothing whereas now if we do choose to sell we'll get £1m+

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 May 2015 11:00

Well he's not worth the money. Gunter's an athlete not a footballer. He's poor at defending, his crossing isn't great and Murty has more chance of scoring. Added to that he's got the heart of a pea. No way he should be on a top Championship wage given his ability and our financial position, which he must be - if not better, if he's just had the same deal extended when we bought him for the PL.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 22 May 2015 11:13

Ian Royal Well he's not worth the money. Gunter's an athlete not a footballer. He's poor at defending, his crossing isn't great and Murty has more chance of scoring. Added to that he's got the heart of a pea. No way he should be on a top Championship wage given his ability and our financial position, which he must be - if not better, if he's just had the same deal extended when we bought him for the PL.

Seems to be something of a Welsh trend with RFC's other Welsh international player.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 May 2015 11:52

I've just read that Wes Foderignham is out of contract this summer. A possible replacement if Fed goes and Swindon lose on Sunday?

I think he's definitely matured from the little boy who kicked the bottle when Di Canio subbed him off a few seasons ago and could be an ample replacement

1897 posts