Retained list

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Retained list

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2015 20:52

Royal Ginger Yup, Sweeney's new deal is an odd one. He's been a long way down the pecking order and isn't one of the younger lads.

Guess we hate young keepers then...

Sweeney was ahead of Cooper (featured plenty in preseason) until he got injured at precisely the wrong moment, Cooper got the chance instead, took it, and leap frogged him.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 May 2015 21:03

Huh, I was under the impression that Cooper was the brightest talent, but fair enough, in that case glad he's still aboard.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2015 21:04

Royal Ginger Huh, I was under the impression that Cooper was the brightest talent, but fair enough, in that case glad he's still aboard.

To be fair, I'm not the best authority on the youth, and I doubt there was much between them. But it's what I recall.

it was all about Hyam and Dickie for me.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 21 May 2015 21:25

If we're trying to restructure the squad, why on earth have we offered Stephen Kelly a contract?! I'd have thought he'd be one of the first out the door.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 May 2015 21:28

The only real surprise to me was the release of Lincoln. To be honest I am not sure I have ever seen him play, but he has been first choice for the successful Under 21 team this season.

However, it looks like we rate Moore (who has done very well at Basingstoke) and have retained Legg - despite never seemingly playing him in any games at any level. But we will have Ward moving up - who I have seen a lot and I get the impression he is highly rated.

I wonder if we will end up with either Fed or Andersen as number 1 - Moore as number 2 and Legg and Ward in the Under 21's.

Think if we can get Kelly to sign on much reduced terms that is a good move because Gunter has played left back when Obita has been out and then Kelly can play right back. At least we have three good full backs then.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 May 2015 21:34

Andersen contract not being renewed.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 May 2015 21:57

paultheroyal Andersen contract not being renewed.

The wording of the RFC post can only mean that we are still waiting on Fed. If Fed signs Andersen at 26 really needs to establish himself as first choice somewhere else. If Fed goes perhaps we will give him that chance here.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2015 21:57

paultheroyal Andersen contract not being renewed.

Yet. The implication being we'll consider offering him one if Fed leaves and he's still not signed with anyone else.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 21 May 2015 22:15

So the Team stays as it is apart from maybe 2 - 5 players depending on what happens to Fed.....etc from the first Team. League 1 here we come

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 May 2015 22:39

mambo3 So the Team stays as it is apart from maybe 2 - 5 players depending on what happens to Fed.....etc from the first Team. League 1 here we come

:roll: 2-5, so potentially nearly half of a starting team then, and that's before any actual transfers happen.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 May 2015 00:44

Royal Ginger
mambo3 So the Team stays as it is apart from maybe 2 - 5 players depending on what happens to Fed.....etc from the first Team. League 1 here we come

:roll: 2-5, so potentially nearly half of a starting team then, and that's before any actual transfers happen.

Potentially the wrong half though, with Pog, HRK, Akpan and Gunter hanging around.

I'd rather have Pearce, Fed, Karacan or Kelly than any of them.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 22 May 2015 07:07

And Ferdinand? The fans Non player of the year...........

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 22 May 2015 07:14

percy_freeman And Ferdinand? The fans Non player of the year...........

Another year on his contract, seems an excellent use of a couple of million, shows that owners should never make signings.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 May 2015 07:40

WAZZOCK If we're trying to restructure the squad, why on earth have we offered Stephen Kelly a contract?! I'd have thought he'd be one of the first out the door.

probably because Chris Gunter is the other option at RB.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2015 08:03

How do you come to that conclusion ?
This list gives us very little,,if any, idea of the shape of the squad next season.
All this does is tell us Which out of contract players have been offered new deals. undoubtably there will be contracted players we are looking to move on but the terms 'retained' and 'released' mean nothing if a player is under contract. So we can't 'release' Ferdinand unless we pay off his contract or get someone to buy him, we can 'release' Travner because his contract is up.
And to be honest the current squad is more than good enough to finish in the top half of the division with a couple of sensible additions.

Scampi12

by Scampi12 » 22 May 2015 08:06

percy_freeman And Ferdinand? The fans Non player of the year...........

If - and it's a massive IF - but If Ferdinand somehow managed to find fitness over the coming months, and can even feature in 40% of our games next season, I wouldn't be disappointed to have him in the squad.

I appreciate everyone has the negative view on his signing and I'm somewhat in agreement, however when he did actually muster up 30 minutes of football last season, he did look like a top class player at Championship level, ran the line well and won near on everything in the air.

I am sure I'll eat my words here as we've seen no sign of his fitness even being remotely close to first team, but I live in hope.

Like I say, if we could get him fit and get him game time, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and with a year left on his contract I try to remain an optimist on him.

Delboy

by Delboy » 22 May 2015 08:12

Will any of the current squad under contract be put up for sale. Hal , Akpan, Cox,!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 May 2015 08:19

Can't see anyone buying them - or at least offering them anything close to their current wages ... so not much point putting them up for sale.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 May 2015 09:48

Not surprising we all knew the senior players who were going to be released.

It's logical to offer Stephen Kelly a contract extension as he is a good player and offers more than adequate competition at right back plus he gives more flexibility in the squad as he is a proper right back i.e. defensive minded rather than the attack minded Gunter.

Also confirmation that Dominic Samuel is to remain at the club for another year and that the other released names are Ryan Edwards, Dan Lincoln, Jonathan Henly, George McLennan and Aleks Gogic.

Bit confused about Andersen not being offered a contact "at this time" though as I can't really see him being our number 1 next season which means continuing as a number 2 to either Federici or another experienced keeper yet to be signed (e.g. O'Donnell). Can only presume he has been told that that is the situation and he will be offered a deal if he cannot find first team football elsewhere. Of course if both he and Federici leave then Reading may look at bringing in 2 keepers unless they feel Moore is up to being a number 2 already rather than getting more experience.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 May 2015 10:15

WAZZOCK If we're trying to restructure the squad, why on earth have we offered Stephen Kelly a contract?! I'd have thought he'd be one of the first out the door.

Experience. The squad is going to require leadership on and off the pitch.