Pre-season Friendlies

407 posts
MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pre-season Friendlies

by MoorgateRoyal » 29 Jul 2015 10:29

Friendlies are always seen as useful if you win, and pointless if you don't.

I'm sure all managers would rather come through pre-season with some improved fitness and no (or very few) injuries, than put together a winning streak against weaker sides and not give the players a physical challenge.

As said before, it also gives the new players a chance to work with each other and try to find a formula which works in game situations.

Ultimately, you'll never be able to replicate the conditions of a league game and I doubt very much that anyone is trying to do that. Plus, the lack of pressure on most players means that they won't all be chasing down every ball at their highest intensity, or trying desperately to score loads of goals.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Jul 2015 10:42

I think anyone who believes winning pre season friendlies is important has less of an understanding of football than me... And that's saying a lot.

I always see them as the managers chance to throw some players together / in the team that he wouldn't normally, to see how they combine. Also to judge individuals fitness, ability, skill level etc...

Ultimately it's to establish the first team line up and bench players

Obviously Chelsea and arsenal fans will celebrate every pre season win as if it were another trophy... And post all over Facebook about the amazing result

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jul 2015 10:51

bobby1413 I think anyone who believes winning pre season friendlies is important has less of an understanding of football than me... And that's saying a lot.

I always see them as the managers chance to throw some players together / in the team that he wouldn't normally, to see how they combine. Also to judge individuals fitness, ability, skill level etc...

Obviously Chelsea and arsenal fans will celebrate every pre season win as if it were another trophy... And post all over Facebook about the amazing result

No, Nameless on the previous page has categorically stated that this is wrong and compiled a list of reasons of the purpose of pre-season friendlies. Please don't even think about posting your opinion round here without consulting him first

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2015 12:58

No need to sulk about being wrong and told so.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jul 2015 14:28

If anyone would be able to pass on that wise advice then it would be you.

How many of the friendlies have been able to attend so far Ian?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2015 14:43

Dont waste my time or money on going to friendlies. One of the reasons ive not passed any comments on the events of the games or quaility of play in them. Just the mix of those playing and lack of first choice goalscorers.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Jul 2015 17:17

Ian Royal Dont waste my time or money on going to friendlies. One of the reasons ive not passed any comments on the events of the games or quaility of play in them. Just the mix of those playing and lack of first choice goalscorers.

I supposed it's only worth going to watch the likes of Chelsea in a friendly if you're a Reading fan. Seeing World class players you don't otherwise see week in, week out.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2015 18:42

John Smith
bobby1413 I think anyone who believes winning pre season friendlies is important has less of an understanding of football than me... And that's saying a lot.

No, Nameless on the previous page has categorically stated that this is wrong and compiled a list of reasons of the purpose of pre-season friendlies. Please don't even think about posting your opinion round here without consulting him first

I'm not sure how Bobby saying much the same as me makes him wrong !
Are you the grumpiest poster on HNA Mr Smith :!:

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 29 Jul 2015 19:50

No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal Dont waste my time or money on going to friendlies. One of the reasons ive not passed any comments on the events of the games or quaility of play in them. Just the mix of those playing and lack of first choice goalscorers.

I supposed it's only worth going to watch the likes of Chelsea in a friendly if you're a Reading fan. Seeing World class players you don't otherwise see week in, week out.

Absolutely.

It helps us to remember what true football is all about.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jul 2015 19:58

No Fixed Abode

Sadly the way English football has become It would probably be cheaper to get on a plane and watch Espanyol play Real Madrid in a month or so than it is to go to Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford for the day.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jul 2015 20:09

Do your ever go and watch Real, sandy?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jul 2015 20:45

Which Real are you talking about, Peepee? Sociedad, Zaragoza, Mallorca, Betis?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jul 2015 21:12

Madrid, obvs. I know you <3 them, just wondering if you ever get to any games. Been to the Nou Camp a couple of times but never the Bernabeu.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jul 2015 21:25

Well why didn't you say Madrid? More than once less than 10.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jul 2015 21:50

Christ you're hard work. I was just trying to make small talk until the start of the season.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 30 Jul 2015 00:28

John Smith
How many of the friendlies have been able to attend so far Ian?

They are not worth wasting his batteries on.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 30 Jul 2015 09:33

Pepe the Horseman Madrid, obvs. I know you <3 them, just wondering if you ever get to any games. Been to the Nou Camp a couple of times but never the Bernabeu.

I have been to the Bernabeu for a tour, didn't see a game.

They have what can only be described as a trophy complex under the stadium, covering three or four fairly large rooms. I went in 2004 so I imagine with the trophies they've won since, and La Decima, it has expanded even further.

Highlights included watching my mum crap her pants in the seats at the top of the stand, which are at such a steep angle you're advised not to jump up an down when they score, and running just onto the pitch with my brother past the little security rope, then being called arseholes by the Spanish security guard. Which, to be fair, we were.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jul 2015 09:45

MoorgateRoyal
Pepe the Horseman Madrid, obvs. I know you <3 them, just wondering if you ever get to any games. Been to the Nou Camp a couple of times but never the Bernabeu.

I have been to the Bernabeu for a tour, didn't see a game.

They have what can only be described as a trophy complex under the stadium, covering three or four fairly large rooms. I went in 2004 so I imagine with the trophies they've won since, and La Decima, it has expanded even further.

We could do with that at the Madejski.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2015 12:00

A tour of a trophy closet.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jul 2015 15:55

Nameless I'm not sure how Bobby saying much the same as me makes him wrong !
Are you the grumpiest poster on HNA Mr Smith :!:

Not at all.

What does Ian Royal look like and does he ever go to games?

407 posts