CONFIMRED - Orlando Sa

245 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Speculation - Orlando Sa

by WoodleyRoyal » 26 Jun 2015 10:14

PeterReadingborn59 It is good to see that RFC are prepared to spend to strengthen the squad, and I'd go by the club's decision as £1m. is a significant amount given that Alfie was sold just 12 months ago to pay a tax bill and he is a player who operates in the penalty area and gets goals.
Sa's record:
Last season he scored 13 from 25 games.
Season before that he scored 15 from 26.
Season before that he scored 9 from 20.

Anyone know why he has played so few matches by Championship standards?

They only have 16 teams in their first division so only play 30 games a season

*edit actually they have the scottish model where the table splits in half i think they played 37 games in the end... the website is confusing

http://www.tablesleague.com/poland/?season=516

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 26 Jun 2015 10:46

Thanks, apparently the Polish league is rather odd as there are 16 clubs in the Ekstraklasa. During the course of the season each club plays the others twice, once at their home stadium and once at that of their opponents, for a total of 30 games (240 games in the season). So Orlando's team won that League but then they have seven play-off type matches as from the 2013–14 season onward after 30th round the league is split into 'champion' (top eight teams) and 'relegation' (bottom eight teams) groups. Each team will play seven more games (1–4 and 9–12 teams will play four times at home), starting with half the points (rounded up) achieved during the first phase of 30 matches.

So the total potential "League" matches is 37 for each team, plus cup matches, so Orlando still seems to have never played in all matches.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Jun 2015 10:49

The rumours are that he didn't fit with the managers technical formation and tactics.

JamesWN

by JamesWN » 26 Jun 2015 11:36

Started to follow Reading and the Chronicle on Twitter :lol:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Jun 2015 12:27

maffff Si and Ma to join and Srivikorn will her 3up top sorted.

What's that in English? You been taking lessons from Dave?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Jun 2015 12:28

JamesWN Started to follow Reading and the Chronicle on Twitter :lol:

I bet he's sat there now thinking we're a bunch of nasty baton wielding bastards.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Jun 2015 13:32

My two cents on Sa on the Tilehurst End (I watch a lot of Polish football for my sins) http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... reading-fc

Portuguese striker Orlando Sá looks set to sign for Reading from Legia Warsaw for a fee which is rumoured to be € 1.5 million. For a club like Reading who are desperate for any kind of transfer activity, the transfer has been met with a mixture of relief and excitement as finally the club seem to be preparing for the upcoming season. But who is Orlando Sá and is this transfer the right fit for Reading FC?

Sá's career is in many ways one of unfulfilled promise. Starting out at Braga the player made his mark in the Portuguese under-21s with a couple of hat-tricks before moving on to Porto for a fee of 3 million Euros in 2009. Injuries meant Sá was never really able to achieve much at Porto and he eventually joined Fulham in 2011 where Sá also failed to impress - his contract was terminated in the summer of 2012. The last three seasons have been the proverbial last chance saloon for Sá and they have seen him finally live up to expectations, first with regular goals for the Cypriot club Apollon Limassol and most recently for the club from Poland's capital Legia Warsaw.

Sá's time at Legia has been one of highs and lows. The main plus about his stay in Warsaw are the goals he has scored. In his 25 Ekstraklasa (Polish top flight) appearances in the 2014-5 season, Sá scored 13 times - he's certainly not a player to fluff a chance. On the other hand Sá has increasingly shown himself to be a player with an attitude problem. There have been consistent murmurings this season that Legia's manager Henning Berg and Sá do not see eye to eye, and the concrete proof of this is the amount of times Sá has either been on the bench for Legia or left out of match-day squads - indeed 11 of his appearances this season have been as a substitute.

As indicated elsewhere the problems between Berg and Sá could simply be due to Berg's prediliction for a 4-5-1 formation with a mobile false-nine rather than the classic front-man play that Sá provides. While this may be true there have been clear examples recently of petulant behaviour from Sá both on and off the pitch. In the last match of the season against Górnik Zabrze Sá refused to wait to be substituted after signalling to the bench he was carrying an injury, he then proceeded to sulk in the changing rooms - refusing to collect the league runners-up medal that Legia had won with his teammates. This reaction angered fans and club authorities alike, and it was clear that Sá would not play for Legia again.

In terms of style of play, Sá has the potential to be a success at Reading. He is strong, good at holding the ball up, decent with his feet, and can score goals both on the ground and in the air. While he did not play as regularly as he would have liked for Legia, when he did he more often than not took the goal scoring chances that came his way. Reading fans might question Sá's rate of goals in a relatively unknown league, can the striker play at Championship level? In my opinion he definitely has it in him to be a success in England, firstly (as a regular watcher of both leagues) the Polish top flight is of approximately the same standard as the Championship, secondly Sá (although not always starting) was an important part of a Legia side which topped its Europa League group last autumn. Finally Sá will have something to prove in England after his failure at Fulham, who knows - this could be his last chance of playing in a top European league - that is if Reading get promoted or Premier League scouts notice him.

It is intriguing to consider what Steve Clarke has in mind for his new striker. Sá is a classic centre forward and in some ways duplicates what we already have in Pavel Pogrebnyak, although Sá is certainly a better finisher than the Russian. Can the two play together in a 4-4-2? I think that this option definitely should be tried by Clarke, although both of them are classic number nines they are both good on the floor and have decent awareness. They undoubtedly have the intelligence and strength to scare Championship defences. I would also advise Clarke to start Sá due to the Portuguese player's outsized ego, were Sá to end up on the bench like at Legia I'd worry about him disrupting the balance of the Reading changing room.

Reading's purchase of Sá has the potential to be a great acquisition, especially if Pogrebnyak and Sá click on the pitch. If not, then expect the Portuguese striker to stir up trouble and leave in a huff in twelve months time. As Reading fans we of course hope the former scenario to turn out to be correct.
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 26 Jun 2015 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jun 2015 13:44

Archie's penalty My two cents on Sa on the Tilehurst End (I watch a lot of Polish football for my sins) http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... reading-fc

Cheers AP.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 26 Jun 2015 14:13

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 26 Jun 2015 14:28

There is absolutely NO WAY Reading have paid €1.5m for Sa.

Legia want him out, they don't always play him, Reading don't pay big money.

Where is this figure coming from??

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jun 2015 14:37

PistolPete There is absolutely NO WAY Reading have paid €1.5m for Sa.

Legia want him out, they don't always play him, Reading don't pay big money.

Where is this figure coming from??

Pretty much everyone reporting it, on that basis I'd say it's probably pretty accurate.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Jun 2015 15:34

It's supposed to be rising to £1m as well, so more likely £750k with add-ons, but some media have said £1m plus add-ons which CW suggests is wrong.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 Jun 2015 15:42

So is this an owners signing or a Steve Clarke signing?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 26 Jun 2015 16:08

CW thinks owners, which is bad because we don't have £1m to spunk on vanity signings

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Jun 2015 16:16

blueroyals CW thinks owners, which is bad because we don't have £1m to spunk on vanity signings

That was his initial view when the rumours broke. He said yesterday that he'd look into that if he gets a chance to speak to the manager, but so far the club are knocking back his requests.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Jun 2015 16:20

I think he also rubbished the rumour of the actual signing when it first broke as well yet it still seems to have happened.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2015 17:21

Coppelled_Streets
blueroyals CW thinks owners, which is bad because we don't have £1m to spunk on vanity signings

That was his initial view when the rumours broke. He said yesterday that he'd look into that if he gets a chance to speak to the manager, but so far the club are knocking back his requests.

The Thais apparently have strong connections to Portugal so that is probably where the interest came from. I can't for one minute imagine that he has been signed without SC agreeing to it though. But I guess that's something we'll never know for sure.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Jun 2015 17:22

Sutekh
Coppelled_Streets

The Thais apparently have strong connections to Portugal so that is probably where the interest came from. I can't for one minute imagine that he has been signed without SC agreeing to it though. But I guess that's something we'll never know for sure.

Agreed, especially being a strong and outspoken person too, he wouldn't keep quiet about it if they brought him in.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 26 Jun 2015 17:24

Charles Watts ‏@charles_watts 9m Still no announcement on Sa. Looks like the wait will go on. But believe there could be other positive #readingfc news coming soon.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 26 Jun 2015 17:46

WoodleyRoyal Charles Watts ‏@charles_watts 9m Still no announcement on Sa. Looks like the wait will go on. But believe there could be other positive #readingfc news coming soon.

Fosu 2 year deal.

245 posts