Other
13%

Total votes: 152
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New captain 2015/16

by John Smith » 23 Jun 2015 16:14

SCIAG Aaron Kuhl.

Hal Robson-Kanu as vice captain, because he is our longest-serving player (measured since first team debut).

Ferdinand is a good option if he's popular in the dressing room, probably the only member of the squad (other than Kuhl) who is a natural leader.

Big "no" to Williams. Another Matt Mills.

Wow, just wow. If ever there was a clueless, plain and utterly wrong post on this site it would be this ^

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2015 16:21

SCIAG Aaron Kuhl.
Hal Robson-Kanu as vice captain, because he is our longest-serving player (measured since first team debut).
Ferdinand is a good option if he's popular in the dressing room, probably the only member of the squad (other than Kuhl) who is a natural leader.

I'll take these points one at a time.
1) :|
2) :| :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
3) :) if fit :wink:. Otherwise. :|
4) a) :| :| :| :| :| :| b) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jun 2015 16:35

Most of it is objectively true.

Ferdinand was vice-captain of a Premiership club 10 years ago, so he has a long history of wearing armbands. There's little doubt he'll be playing regularly next season if he gets fit... there's just a lot of doubt that he'll get fit.

Kuhl is clearly a natural leader, as seen by him captaining our U21s aged 16. You might think it's too soon to promote Kuhl, again fair enough but he'll probably play more this season than Karacan did last.

Robson-Kanu was the first of our current players to make their debut, barring Cox who has since left the club and rejoined. It's pretty standard practice outside of the British Isles to just make your captain the longest serving player or the one with the most appearances. On both counts, Robson-Kanu is comfortably ahead of any of our other senior players.

So I think the only thing I said that's at all unreasonable is comparing Williams to Mills. Like Mills, he's had a go at team mates several times in his short Reading career. That's not a quality I want in a captain. I didn't enjoy it when Mills was our captain.

Now, are you going to contribute something of substance or just accuse other people of being clueless?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jun 2015 16:44

John Smith
SCIAG Aaron Kuhl.

Wow, just wow. If ever there was a clueless, plain and utterly wrong post on this site it would be this ^

Head. Sand. Amirite?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Jun 2015 17:14

I would love to see Kuhl as captain of this club but it's a totally different prospect being captain of the first team to just one of the youth teams.

Lets leave him to at least establish himself in the side before he has to take on the captaincy.

As for Ferdinand, if he gets the gig at least he'll have lots of time on his hands to do that behind the scenes admin and organising whilst he puts his feet up because he's not going to get fit enough to play a proper part on the pitch.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2015 17:20

Hoop Blah I would love to see Kuhl as captain of this club but it's a totally different prospect being captain of the first team to just one of the youth teams.

Lets leave him to at least establish himself in the side before he has to take on the captaincy.

Agreed, future captain...

Hoop Blah As for Ferdinand, if he gets the gig at least he'll have lots of time on his hands to do that behind the scenes admin and organising whilst he puts his feet up because he's not going to get fit enough to play a proper part on the pitch.

I hope that regardless he'll take on community/more of the captain style duties as a senior squad member. For me a possible 'vice captain', but I wouldn't want to rely on him - especially as he hasn't established himself here either.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jun 2015 17:22

Based on your point about the longest serving player being made captain, why would we then promote a washed up, sicknote, mercanary who hasn't even played a full half of football to position of captain? The only thing Anton Ferdinand will be playing regularly next season is the physio's ringtone. He hasn't performed outstandingly at any stage of his career.

Hal Robson-Kanu has been outed as one of the worst performers by the majority of fans. Rewarding him by selecting him as captain would be ignoring what an abysmal season he had last term. He scored 1 league goal, can I just remind you...from the penalty spot. Just because he's part of the furniture you want to make him captain?

As mentioned before Danny Williams is head and shoulders the best player at the club and plays regularly in a captain's role on the pitch. His fiery temper probably stems from the frustration of having to lineup along side of football geniuses like Norwood and Blackman. Because he's hot headed he's not cut out for it? Remember one Roy Keane as a player? Or perhaps you'd like to expand on the Mills parallel?

I don't think the Aaron Kuhl point needs explaining. Why not give it to Fosu

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jun 2015 17:30

SCIAG Most of it is objectively true.

Ferdinand was vice-captain of a Premiership club 10 years ago, so he has a long history of wearing armbands. There's little doubt he'll be playing regularly next season if he gets fit... there's just a lot of doubt that he'll get fit.

Kuhl is clearly a natural leader, as seen by him captaining our U21s aged 16. You might think it's too soon to promote Kuhl, again fair enough but he'll probably play more this season than Karacan did last.

Robson-Kanu was the first of our current players to make their debut, barring Cox who has since left the club and rejoined. It's pretty standard practice outside of the British Isles to just make your captain the longest serving player or the one with the most appearances. On both counts, Robson-Kanu is comfortably ahead of any of our other senior players.

So I think the only thing I said that's at all unreasonable is comparing Williams to Mills. Like Mills, he's had a go at team mates several times in his short Reading career. That's not a quality I want in a captain. I didn't enjoy it when Mills was our captain.

Now, are you going to contribute something of substance or just accuse other people of being clueless?

while I agree that the one time I saw Williams having a go at another player it looked over the top, and seemed to have a negative effect on that player, many people would suggest that someone giving them a rocket is exactly what the team needed on pitch last season, and that people who shrink into their shells cos the nasty man shouted at them need to grow a pair, or fook orf

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Jun 2015 17:37

John Smith Based on your point about the longest serving player being made captain, why would we then promote a washed up, sicknote, mercanary who hasn't even played a full half of football to position of captain? The only thing Anton Ferdinand will be playing regularly next season is the physio's ringtone. He hasn't performed outstandingly at any stage of his career.

Hal Robson-Kanu has been outed as one of the worst performers by the majority of fans. Rewarding him by selecting him as captain would be ignoring what an abysmal season he had last term. He scored 1 league goal, can I just remind you...from the penalty spot. Just because he's part of the furniture you want to make him captain?

As mentioned before Danny Williams is head and shoulders the best player at the club and plays regularly in a captain's role on the pitch. His fiery temper probably stems from the frustration of having to lineup along side of football geniuses like Norwood and Blackman. Because he's hot headed he's not cut out for it? Remember one Roy Keane as a player? Or perhaps you'd like to expand on the Mills parallel?

I'm kinda liking this new version of FridaysGhost.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jun 2015 17:40

John Smith
SCIAG Aaron Kuhl.

no need for the 'if ever', or 'would be'

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jun 2015 18:18

melonhead
John Smith
SCIAG Aaron Kuhl.

There was a clueless, plain and utterly wrong post on this site it this

Doesn't quite scan brendy.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 23 Jun 2015 22:57

Williams is too hot headed and gets into arguments with the ref/other players too easily. I like him and think that the 'bad boy' role is very valuable as a foil to the captain, but i'd not want him to be skipper.

Hector is young but i recon he's got the stuff about him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jun 2015 23:08

Gunter's gutless and already failed at it.
Hector - season too soon, remember how Pearce struggled with it as an extra weight early in his career.
Williams - no where near calm enough. Talks himself into trouble, let alone the team.
Kuhl - not a regular and too soon.
Norwood - needs to focus on running midfield.

Everyone else total Lolz fest just at the idea. Bunch of rarely in form, try hard or coasting losers.

Oh for the days of Parky, Murty, Ivar, Jobi or Pearce

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jun 2015 00:07

John Smith Hal Robson-Kanu has been outed

Didn't realise it was a secret...

I don't think ability is something to be considered when appointing a captain unless it is going to stop them being selected. Currently HRK is a firmly guaranteed starter because we only have three senior wingers and one of them is Nick Blackman. Graeme Murty was the worst performing member of our 05/06 side, for example, but I wouldn't have wanted us to make Convey captain.

Because he's hot headed he's not cut out for it?

Yes.

If I supported Chelsea I'd have wanted Lampard to captain the side for the past decade. I'd rather have had Giggs or Neville captaining United than Keane. The primary role of a captain in football is to perform minor duties before a match and then liaise with officials. Hot heads are rubbish at that and thus shouldn't be captains. Furthermore, I think we have an ethical duty to not appoint someone who screams his head off when a decision doesn't go his way.

Erm, anyone who reads my posts knows I make regular semi-serious calls for our youngsters to receive ridiculous promotion. My tongue is usually wedged in my cheek and this is no exception.

Kuhl is a fairly sensible suggestion because he's a ridiculously good captain, and already looked the part in his first team appearances. Fosu isn't and didn't. QED.

FWIW, there are plenty of examples of younger captains than Kuhl floating around - Nigel Reo-Coker and Jermaine Jenas were both captaining First Division clubs at his age. This article is pretty dated: http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... edge.sport

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jun 2015 09:47

SCIAG Kuhl is a fairly sensible suggestion because he's a ridiculously good captain, and already looked the part in his first team appearances. Fosu isn't and didn't. QED.

FWIW, there are plenty of examples of younger captains than Kuhl floating around - Nigel Reo-Coker and Jermaine Jenas were both captaining First Division clubs at his age. This article is pretty dated: http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... edge.sport

It isn't, it's daft. He's 19 and has made 6 appearances. Next season at the earliest.

My point about Williams is that he'd inject some get-up-and-go with his attitude and that it might persuade him to stay as I can see him wanting to be out of here soon looking around at his substandard peers.

If not then give it to McCleary for reasons stated above re. Williams.

SCIAG, can I just ask you who you think the best 3 players are at the club?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 24 Jun 2015 10:16

Do you recall Gunter's performances when he was last made captain???

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Jun 2015 10:58

genome
melonhead [quote="John SmithWow, just wow. If ever there was a clueless, plain and utterly wrong post on this site it would be this ^

There was a clueless, plain and utterly wrong post on this site it this

Doesn't quite scan brendy.[/quote]

ok, put the be back in...

there was a clueless, plain and utterly wrong post on this site. It be this

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jun 2015 11:04

Kuhl is not a daft suggestion, although it may not be the right one.
He captained our u21 side when he was 18 and did a top job. Of course doing the job for the first team is hugely different and the number 1 requirement is to have the support and respect of your team mates and whether he has that from Pog, McLeary etc I have no idea.
But at some point soon he'll be captain and as I would be not be averse to our first team being mostly Academy players then he's a cert to lead the team.
As for next season, Williams is a good call and the stuff about arguing with team mates is nonsense, Pearce was often having a go at colleagues and the most public falling out Willaims had ended in smiles and handshakes ....

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jun 2015 11:04

"It be this"

I'm not a pirate.

Are you an ostrich?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jun 2015 11:10

It wasn't an entirely wrong post though... :P