Pepe the horseman?

More like Pepe the fuckingmug!!

POTD

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Nick Blackman

by Green » 14 Sep 2015 14:29

AthleticoSpizz
Pepe the Horseman Yep, absolutely proving me wrong. Good on him. Let's hope he can keep it up.
the perennial "pick on a player...give him no time" TB post

Some of us just "shut up".....watched and waited

Before spouting off ( smilie face)

TBF would be pretty dull around here if everyone did "shut up"

Oh

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Sep 2015 15:05

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 14 Sep 2015 15:26

Ouroboros
WoodleyRoyal i think he is the most talented footballer at the club

'Greed.

VINDICATED 8)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Sep 2015 15:28

BR2 It might be churlish to criticise the player after all the good things he did in one game-possibly more in one game (plus Brentford) than in all the time that he has been with us.
The problem I have with wingers is that by nature they tend to be weedy.
Blackman probably had about twenty 50/50 headers with his full back and won none of them.
McCleary is not much better in that aspect nor is Kanu but McCleary and now the rejuvenated Blackman both are bringing so much more that their lack of combatitiveness becomes almost irrelevant.
I suppose all wingers can't be Steve Coppells and we have to accept their limitations.

Well done Nick on an excellent attacking performance on Friday and with Hurtado, John and McCleary challenging for that position it all looks so much healthier for our club's prospects and what a wonderful evening on Friday-IMHO possibly the best we have played for at least 4 years with people leaving the ground with smiles on their faces and with that feeling of not being able to wait for the next game-even old cynics like me.

How's your memory ?

Let me know when you remember Steve Coppell winning a header against a full-back

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Sep 2015 15:48

Ouroboros
Ouroboros

'Greed.

VINDICATED 8)

Vindic8ed, surely?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Sep 2015 16:00

Pleased to be able to say that the bold indicates that when this thread was created I voted 'Yes'. Took time for his full talent to be displayed to the extent that even the football ignorant/bigots had to start acknowledging that he did have some ability. For the more open-minded the clues were always there.

With the benefit of hindsight, McDermott and the club could have spared the likes of Blackman a fair amount of grief had they explained that they were being signed as a longer term prospect and weren't really regarded as someone who was expected to help us avoid the drop. The fans were expecting the signing of 'saviours' and that weight of expectation then fell on the players that we did sign.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 14 Sep 2015 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Sep 2015 16:08

It has only been 7 or 8 games btw. Let's not completely write off him being shit, even Simon Church got into double figures for the Championship once.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 14 Sep 2015 16:23

Ouroboros
Ouroboros

'Greed.

VINDICATED 8)

8) in your faces you bunch of clowns

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2015 18:10

RoyalBlue With the benefit of hindsight, McDermott and the club could have spared the likes of Blackman a fair amount of grief had they explained that they were being signed as a longer term prospect and weren't really regarded as someone who was expected to help us avoid the drop. The fans were expecting the signing of 'saviours' and that weight of expectation then fell on the players that we did sign.

This is rubbish. Opinions of Blackman (and particularly Akpan) were still positive after our relegation.

The only thing that would have improved opinions of "the likes of Blackman" was if they had shown anything on the pitch to warrant it. The reason most people didn't rate him was because he was consistently a weak point in the side for two years, barring a few matches at the start of last season.

Voting "yes" in June or July required just as much (if not more) mental gymnastics than voting "no" right now.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Sep 2015 18:23

I felt really pleased for Blackman on Friday night. He had a blinder. I was half expecting him to stick two fingers up at the fans who berated him massively last season....

I know he had a bit of go at the Reading fans last season when he scored.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 14 Sep 2015 18:28

No Fixed Abode I felt really pleased for Blackman on Friday night. He had a blinder. I was half expecting him to stick two fingers up at the fans who berated him massively last season....

I know he had a bit of go at the Reading fans last season when he scored.

Yep, pretty much felt the same, he just about clapped the east stand before going off, I thought he was just going to walk off. To be fair to him the audible groans whenever he was subbed on last year were pretty harsh.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 14 Sep 2015 20:09

If you watch the clips of Nick Blackman from the Ipswich highlights he hasn't got a drop of sweat on his face, just looks like he's been out for a stroll. I remember being outside Hogwood early one morning sorting out my sat-nav, it was just after we signed him. The gates were locked and NB was sat in a new shape Merc 630 AMG waiting to get in. I think he's put in the extra work and now he's seeing reward. Hope it continues.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 16 Sep 2015 08:14

Big Foot I wrote up a piece on Blackman for The Tilehurst End over the weekend - copy & pasted below / available here - http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... the-debate

Here's a quick Reading FC related trivia question to get you really excited for the new Championship season. What do Jamie Cureton, Martin Butler, Nicky Forster, Shaun Goater, Dave Kitson, Leroy Lita, Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, Grzegorz Rasiak, Adam Le Fondre and Pavel Pogrebnyak all have in common?

They were all signed by Reading for transfer fees less than that of Nick Blackman.

Let that sink in for a minute - in our club's 144 year history, Nick 'nobody' Blackman is the striker we've paid the highest transfer fee for - wow. Brian McDermott did numerous truly great things for our football club in his years as a scout and later as manager. However, paying £1.2m for Nick Blackman in January 2013 wasn't his finest hour.

The fact that the most memorable thing he's done in a Reading shirt is to give it the big one to our travelling fans after scoring an immaterial goal away at Derby speaks volumes. I'm struggling to think of a more selfish Reading player than him since Nicky Forster - the only difference being I'd back Fozzy to finish his dinner, never mind bury the ball in the back of the net. I'm not so sure on Blackman. Neither was McDermott, nor Nigel Adkins - as both struggled to decide whether Blackman was a striker or a winger. For what it's worth, he was equally dull & ineffective in both positions.

So I'm really rather confused as to how on Earth he thinks he can comment and say he's got nothing to prove to anybody. Erm, excuse me? Not even Sir Les came out with such tripe in his disastrous, brief spell with us. So for this to come from someone like Nick Blackman is stunning. Any player saying that after last season should take a serious look in the mirror, let alone Blackman. What exactly has he achieved at Reading? No tears would be shed here should he be leaving us in the short, medium or long term future.

I suspect this is indicative of the selfish streak we've seen in his play and hopefully Clarke takes no prisoners and moves Blackman on; for his nature must be a disruptive force in the dressing room. In order for us to have the best possible chance of success in the forthcoming season, the only point to prove when it comes to Nick Blackman is that money clearly doesn't buy you success. I hope Clarke cashes in at the earliest opportunity.

Having written the other side of the argument on that piece - well, having written an argument based in fact rather than simply a personal character assassination - I'm pretty happy with how things are turning out so far. http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... the-debate

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Sep 2015 09:54

He's banging the goals in but has his attitude improved any :?:

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 23 Sep 2015 10:28

Green He's banging the goals in but has his attitude improved any :?:

couldn't give two hoots what his attitude is like as long as he keeps banging in the goals...

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 23 Sep 2015 11:16

lol at the people still voting on this poll.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 23 Sep 2015 11:33

St. Brynjar lol at the people still voting on this poll.

And why shouldn't they?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Sep 2015 16:22

I've used my moderator powers to change the poll so users can change their votes - I changed mine from No to Yes.

Nick Blackman is the first name on the teamsheet these days.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Sep 2015 16:30

JC
St. Brynjar lol at the people still voting on this poll.

And why shouldn't they?

Largely because this poll was started when most people thought he was shit, including those who now in hindsight are voting "Yes" on this poll.

Now that it has been unlocked for vote changing, expect a massive swing into the yes camp.

434 posts