BFTG - Leeds

144 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Leeds

by Hoop Blah » 17 Aug 2015 10:54

LWJ
Schards#2 I'd give Clarke until December at the latest, If we're still having about two shots a game then he has to go as, for whatever reason, he can't get this squad to perform and, if he can't do it by then, he never will

Leeds game
Shots: 14
On Target: 3

Colchester game
Shots: 11
On Target: 5

Birmingham game
Shots: 20
On Target: 7

We average 15 shots and 5 on target per game

1/3 shots on target a game isn't a bad ratio.

As a comparison City had 18/8 , Chelsea 10/3.

Palace 11/4 Arsenal 20/7

We just need to be more clinical.

There's often quite a difference between the type of shot that gets counted by the likes of Opta and what is actually a meaningful chance of scoring which is what we all want to see.

We're not a free flowing attacking team at the moment, but thats not a surprise considering the resources Clarke is currently missing and the disjointed pre-season. I'd certainly give Clarke until at least Christmas to get this side together but I'd also be reasonably happy if we're only creating a handful of chances if we're snuffing out the opposition and being exceptionally clinical in front of goal and so winning 2-0 every week.

As much as Coppell's side was at times excellent to watch we also had periods of dull football during that success and if anyone thinks that McDermotts promotion campaign was built on anything but pretty dull and effective organised football then they're kidding themselves.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 17 Aug 2015 11:00

Giving him till Christmas is ridiculous. We don't want to be one of those clubs who chop and change manager willy nilly, we need stability.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 17 Aug 2015 11:03

LWJ Giving him till Christmas is ridiculous. We don't want to be one of those clubs who chop and change manager willy nilly, we need stability.

I agree.

Managers need time to get a squad together and the squad needs time to find the right balance in order to make the best out of what they have.

If you have a project of any sort which you keep stopping half way through and restarting with slightly different components, you'll never finish it.

Of course, when you do finish it, it might be shit, but at least you saw it through to the end.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Aug 2015 11:07

I tentatively suggest we appear to be on the right road at the moment, as ever with Reading though it's always difficult as just as the season starts we lose Pogrbnyak, McLeary, Fosu etc. and all width meaning we're lumbered playing players well out of their natural positions.

Think it will be Ipswich (h), after the international break, before we see something more in line with the intention Clarke has for the overall team...

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 17 Aug 2015 11:33

P!ssed Off We just want your money, so spend some or oxf*rd off.

:)

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 17 Aug 2015 12:20

paultheroyal
Schards#2 As per the last 2-3 years, went to the game fully expected to be bored and wasn't disappointed.

I can count on one hand the number of games in the last couple of years that I've actually enjoyed and, on the evidence of yesterday, that number isn't going to be added to much this season.

In Clarke's time here, he has proven incapable of getting a decent performance out of a set of players who, on paper, look more than good enough to prosper in this division. Ok, he inherited a mess and has some injuries at the moment but, still, we seem to have gone backwards on his watch.

We can only hope Hurtardo will bring some spark as, season ticket or not, I can't face sitting there bored to death week in week out for much longer. A scenario that's not help by some gurning idiot on a mic telling me how thrilling the first half was and how we have to raise the roof in the second. You can have all the razzmatazz, fire, crappy songs and inspiring speeches you want, if the team don't create anything week in week out, you are not going to have a great atmosphere because everyone is bored stiff.

I'd give Clarke until December at the latest, If we're still having about two shots a game then he has to go as, for whatever reason, he can't get this squad to perform and, if he can't do it by then, he never will

Did you not see the stats from last weeks game or midweek for that matter?

Yesterday was not great but clearly you could see we were under strengt and players out of position.

Mccleary, Fosu, an Anchiebe would totally of changed that game yesterday. Last season we would of lost that 2-0.

Agree on atmosphere comments. It only improves based on performance. Fair play to the club for trying but it's very staged and manufactured.

On another note good to see work done around the ground yesterday. See all the white stanchions painted, new fencing and artwork etc etc.

We are in a far better place as a club than we were 12 months ago and should be thankful.

Give up my season ticket or on Clarke - not a chance.

Just because you've heard of him and he's played in the prem, doesn't make him a good player.

Have you any idea how poor a player Anchiebe is? He was bought for a lot of money by Clarke and the WBA fans wanted him out as soon as he stepped on the turf for the first time. He's a terrible player who has had huge injury problems.

It show's Clarke's level of creativity if he's resorting to this type of player again, if indeed he is.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Aug 2015 12:25

Clarke doesn't appear to know what a midfield is or what 'winger' means.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Aug 2015 13:06

I know someone who rang up to say he thought it was boring game on BBCRB and they cut him off - all the comments on the show after the game were positive ones LOLz. :lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Aug 2015 13:07

I do agree it would be short-sighted to sack Clarke this season, as long as we're not sucked into a relegation fight I don't think there's a reason to sack Clarke, this season is probably going to be the last let-off season though as we'll shift the rest of the deadwood at the end of the season and it will be 100% Clarke's team.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Aug 2015 13:09

Royal Lady I know someone who rang up to say he thought it was boring game on BBCRB and they cut him off - all the comments on the show after the game were positive ones LOLz. :lol:

I spoke to my neighbours - they said it was a shocker of a game. He said he nodded off.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 17 Aug 2015 13:10

tidus_mi2 I do agree it would be short-sighted to sack Clarke this season, as long as we're not sucked into a relegation fight I don't think there's a reason to sack Clarke, this season is probably going to be the last let-off season though as we'll shift the rest of the deadwood at the end of the season and it will be 100% Clarke's team.

Rubbish, if we're struggling in a month or so, the owners will, and quite rightly, pull the trigger.

We have good players, a better manager will get the best out of them.

I am however willing to see how we get on with our wingers and the Spanish guy in midfield. Just hope he doesn't sign the Donkey from WBA.

THE HUMAN BISCUIT

by THE HUMAN BISCUIT » 17 Aug 2015 13:28

Awkward moment straight after the big clap for Eamonn Dolan when the Upper East began singing 'I'm Reading till I die...'

At least they stopped quickly!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Aug 2015 13:35

LWJ Giving him till Christmas is ridiculous. We don't want to be one of those clubs who chop and change manager willy nilly, we need stability.

If he can't show a significant improvement in results rather than stagnation or (as currently) deterioration after a year then i don't see any reason to give him longer.

Despite how vocal i wss in my dissatisfaction with him last season I'm not making any Clarke out noises until at least game 10, or longer depending on how long McCleary, Pog, Hurtado and Fosu take to be ready. But despite a veey promising summer he has a lot to prove before he's worthy of long term support.

I'm fine with hanging around in midtable for a couple of years if progress is showing. But if we don't pick up from circling the relegation drain like we were under him last season he'd have to go. Especially with turgid football on display.

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 17 Aug 2015 13:46

I thought Sa looked alright, looked to be trying to run into the channels and looked to have more about him and pace than the Pog. However, talk of a new striker is pointless, what we really need is two wingers to be able to create chances for the strikers we've got. Buying a new striker won't really work unless he'll be able to create chances for himself! HRK was awful again yesterday, and gave away so many free kicks with lazy challenges. Blackman was better than HRK but still offered little!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Aug 2015 13:49

I think it depends how he's doing at Christmas. Mid-table but crap football, maybe we want to keep him, although I'd be reluctant to give him much money. Below 16th, below 1.3 ppm, it would be hard to justify keeping someone who had only taken us backwards.

When we sacked Adkins, we should probably have gone for someone with a similar philosophy, rather than someone who was going to come in and overturn everything the club's been doing for the last 10 years.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 17 Aug 2015 14:55

The Carabao I tasted outside was insane

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 17 Aug 2015 15:17

Best bit of skill all match was Uwe Rosler trapping the ball in his technical area. Sign him up!

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 17 Aug 2015 15:45

Upper West Ginger Best bit of skill all match was Uwe Rosler trapping the ball in his technical area. Sign him up!

I think it had the loudest cheer of the day (certainly from the Leeds fans).

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 17 Aug 2015 16:24

Fear not....... the club are advertising for a 'Matchday Experience Co-Ordinator'.....things can only get better, can't they :|

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Aug 2015 16:27

Well, if it's a decent person who understands the market then, yes, it could very well get better.

144 posts