14th minute today

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

14th minute today

by windermere_royal » 17 Oct 2015 10:06

Reading the sad story of Matthew a young royals fan. just 14 years old that died of cancer recently, there are people trying to get a minutes silence for him before the game. i disagree, he was one of ours. 14th minute applause would be a much better idea.
I think this is the way the club are leaning. so guys and gals. keep your eyes on the big screen on 14 minutes today.
RIP young fella

dm77

Re: 14th minute today

by dm77 » 17 Oct 2015 11:17

Whilst sad that a young lad can lose his life so early, I don't really think anything should be done. I'm sick of all these tributes that are finding their way into the modern game, it seems we have a minute silence every week. If you start doing this, why not just have a minutes applause every-time a season ticket holder passes. It's getting silly now.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 17 Oct 2015 11:17

Well said.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 17 Oct 2015 11:20

dm77 Whilst sad that a young lad can lose his life so early, I don't really think anything should be done. I'm sick of all these tributes that are finding their way into the modern game, it seems we have a minute silence every week. If you start doing this, why not just have a minutes applause every-time a season ticket holder passes. It's getting silly now.

:|

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Oct 2015 11:35

Club's acknowledged it and dealing with it. If something is to be done best we leave it to them rather than having some sort of half arsed not properly organised tribute today. Desperately sad.
OS
PUBLISHED

10:41 17th October 2015

Reading Football Club are deeply saddened to learn that one of our young supporters, Matthew, lost his battle against leukaemia yesterday morning.

We are aware and very proud that when we lose one of our own, especially at such a tender age, our fans come together as one, united in their shared grief.

When the time is right, the club will look to speak with his family about a suitable tribute. In the meantime, at today's match the thoughts of everyone at the club - the supporters, players, manager and staff, will of course be with his family and all the supporters who knew a very brave 14-year-old boy.[/code]

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... m6qhcXk.99

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 17 Oct 2015 11:43

Nice words from Noel Hunt as well, he's always been a credit to the club.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Oct 2015 11:54

At the STAR agm the chairman opened the meeting with a moment of silence for members who had died in the past 12 months. I thought it was a nice way of including everyone. Perhaps something similar might be worth considering ? Every season, first home game a mention for all those fans/ connections who have died in the last 12 months. Then nothing during the season except in truely exceptional circumstances.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Oct 2015 12:00

Royal Ginger Club's acknowledged it and dealing with it. If something is to be done best we leave it to them rather than having some sort of half arsed not properly organised tribute today. Desperately sad.
OS
PUBLISHED

10:41 17th October 2015

Reading Football Club are deeply saddened to learn that one of our young supporters, Matthew, lost his battle against leukaemia yesterday morning.

We are aware and very proud that when we lose one of our own, especially at such a tender age, our fans come together as one, united in their shared grief.

When the time is right, the club will look to speak with his family about a suitable tribute. In the meantime, at today's match the thoughts of everyone at the club - the supporters, players, manager and staff, will of course be with his family and all the supporters who knew a very brave 14-year-old boy.[/code]

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... m6qhcXk.99

Absolutely.

I do find the obssession with public outpourings of grief for people you have virtually no connection to a bit odd though. I prefer something more reserved, personal and understated, except for turely iconic or legendary people.

This is horribly tragic.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Oct 2015 12:32

If the lad was a mad keen Reading fan and the family have requested some sort of tribute or the club have suggested it and the family, at what must be a horrendous time for them, are positive about it, I really think it's not asking too much for what is probably a minority of people who have reservations about the mawkish nature of some of these tributes to put aside their qualms and clap for a minute.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Oct 2015 12:52

I think they've got to wait until the next game for a tribute, news of this just came out yesterday, no doubt the club will have had to do a background check, as sick as it may seem people do lie about this sort of thing, then there's the decision on what sort of tribute they will do. Better to delay it until the next home game rather than try and get a tribute planned in 1 day.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Oct 2015 13:10

Norfolk Royal If the lad was a mad keen Reading fan and the family have requested some sort of tribute or the club have suggested it and the family, at what must be a horrendous time for them, are positive about it, I really think it's not asking too much for what is probably a minority of people who have reservations about the mawkish nature of some of these tributes to put aside their qualms and clap for a minute.

Obviously, although that doesn't preclude expressing an opinion on it separately and away from the occaision. Besides, neither party has requested or suggested it, yet.

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 17 Oct 2015 13:16

dm77 Whilst sad that a young lad can lose his life so early, I don't really think anything should be done. I'm sick of all these tributes that are finding their way into the modern game, it seems we have a minute silence every week. If you start doing this, why not just have a minutes applause every-time a season ticket holder passes. It's getting silly now.

Will it ruin your game if it happens?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Oct 2015 13:33

windermere_royal Reading the sad story of Matthew a young royals fan. just 14 years old that died of cancer recently, there are people trying to get a minutes silence for him before the game. i disagree, he was one of ours. 14th minute applause would be a much better idea.
I think this is the way the club are leaning. so guys and gals. keep your eyes on the big screen on 14 minutes today.
RIP young fella

My "Well said." was in response to the OP, not the miserable sod who followed.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Oct 2015 14:38

I don't think it's necessary and if anything it's a tad verbose, plus will lose its meaning if we do it every weak.

At the same time I'm not going to be the asshole that doesn't clap, and I don't hate the notion of it enough to do so. Poor fella. R.I.P kid.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Oct 2015 15:31

When I go - I want a 5 minute round of applause on the 90th minute and everyone has to drink wine in the concourse at half time.

I think having a special moment at first home game of season a few minutes before kick off to remember those who have passed is a great idea.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 17 Oct 2015 15:38

CountryRoyal I don't think it's necessary and if anything it's a tad verbose, plus will lose its meaning if we do it every weak.

At the same time I'm not going to be the asshole that doesn't clap, and I don't hate the notion of it enough to do so. Poor fella. R.I.P kid.

Do you know what verbose means?

RIP the poor kid, hope the club do something for him.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 17 Oct 2015 16:07

He is dead. There is nothing the club- or anyone else- can do for him.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Oct 2015 16:13

exileinleeds He is dead. There is nothing the club- or anyone else- can do for him.

As someone who has, apparently, lost a child, I'd expect a little more empathy from you. People are showing that they care and it can often help the family greatly. :|

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 17 Oct 2015 16:36

The time to do something for the boy was while he was ill but alive. That would have given them all happy memories.

If you think a round of applause from some mostly unknown, and largely disinterested strangers is going to make the family feel better, then frankly, it is you love, who has no comprehension of loss.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 17 Oct 2015 17:27

Rest in peace little Royal. The boys delivered 3 points on the pitch, the Reading faithful showed respect and sympathy on 14 minutes for a life cut so short.

Thoughts with the family for one of our own.