BFTG - Fulham

Esteban

Re: BFTG - Fulham

by Esteban » 25 Oct 2015 09:01

This game was a stark reminder of two important things:

1: You have to take your chances when you are on top - we were guilty of one too many passes at times

2: You have to concentrate for the whole game.

It came down to probably the worst 10 minutes we've put together all season and Fulham's clinical finishing. I think the Fulham wide players swapped sides at half time, can anybody confirm? Seemed to target our left side and got a lot of joy.

If we learn from this, we'll be better for it. Long way to go, no need to panic yet, but dropping 4 points in a week can't happen again if we want to win promotion.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 25 Oct 2015 09:12

I mentioned after one of the recent games (Burnley maybe), that we are lacking that ruthless edge when ahead in games. It showed again yesterday, except this time we were put to the sword.

Far too much tippy tappy football on the edge of the box when what was really needed was a shot, and by not being out of sight after a strong opening 30 mins, we have paid the price.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 25 Oct 2015 09:21

Whether we deserved to go 2-0 up is another matter but if you can't shut up shop away from home with that lead you won't get promotion!

Hector was poor throughout. Really don't know how we've managed to capitulate like that!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Oct 2015 09:26

Because we're Reading. Just be glad it wasn't a play off final or a cup quarter final like it usually is when we throw away a 2-0 lead.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Oct 2015 09:33

It felt like we went into that too blasé and with an over-attacking line-up.
Nowhere near enough protection from midfield, and especially for the full-backs.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 25 Oct 2015 09:38

Norfolk Royal Agree with PTR's point above. Both our full backs were booked in the first half, pretty needlessly, and that put pressure on them for the rest of the game holding back their tackles. When Obita was booked early I would have been inclined to sub him at half time and put Taylor on, assuming he was on the bench. Would have taken some of the pressure away but you rarely see managers doing that early in the game.

Would think it is worth giving Taylor a run now as he looks pretty accomplished every time I've seen him. Only other point I would reiterate as PTR has already alluded to it, is that some of our play looks good but was too intricate at times and the ball was given away too often.

Once it got congested in the middle as we attacked there was no out ball to spread the play. It was crying out for some width which was not there unfortunately. We move on.

I agree but Taylor was not on the bench so maybe he is injured. Clarke didn't really have the option of subbing Gunter or Obita.
Subs: Bond, McCleary, Hurtado, Fernandez, John, Tshibola, Cooper

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 Oct 2015 09:41

Some credit needs to go to Fulham too ... their touches and movement for their goals was pretty awesome ...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Oct 2015 09:47

sandman Would encourage anyone who says the Madejski is a quiet atmosphere to go to Craven Cottage to see what real silence from home fans is like.

I was in with the home fans on the opposite side of the ground (Hammersmith End) and the Royals fans came across louder than the group singing at the back of the stand a few rows behind me!

Although, as I mentioned once it went to 3-2 I didn't really hear a peep, but I think even Leeds fans would struggle to muster much after a spell like that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Oct 2015 09:50

Evening Post Steve Clarke was so angry at his side’s capitulation at Fulham yesterday that he opted not to speak to his players after the game in case he said something he might regret.

Enough said I think.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 25 Oct 2015 10:01

Sutekh
Evening Post Steve Clarke was so angry at his side’s capitulation at Fulham yesterday that he opted not to speak to his players after the game in case he said something he might regret.

Enough said I think.

Having capitulated so badly in the second 45 minutes of the last two games I wish he'd opt not to speak to the palyers at half time too.

(And although we didn't lose at Rotherham it was as much of a capitulation - we could so easily have lost once they got their tails up).

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Oct 2015 10:07

Irvinchangeyaname And although we didn't lose at Rotherham it was as much of a capitulation

:|

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 25 Oct 2015 10:14

Yeah, they (whoever they are) say that silence is golden. Ah well, at least Clarke had an appreciation of our efforts in travelling down the M4. Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall when he speaks to the players on Tuesday though. Sounds like he's giving himself a couple of days to calm down and sort out his post match analysis. Boy, he must be well fuming.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 25 Oct 2015 10:15

Great first half where we should have been more ahead, the second half the defence fell apart (especially the right side, Hector was horrific as was Gunter, but Gunter saved himself a little with a headed clearance off the line). 3 goals, 7 minuted, heads dropped, barely began to look like scoring until the 80th minute after that. You just cannot collapse like that.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Oct 2015 10:24

Calm down everyone, it's like you've not seen Championship football before.

Sometimes you play badly and win, sometimes you play well and lose, anyone can take points off you particularly away from home and in a 46 game season you'll turn in a shocker or two.

Overall we look pretty decent and I don't agree we can't DL in a week again and not get promoted. Of course we can.

McCormack's finish and his assist for the 4th were excellent. Gave the third away ourselves by getting caught in possession, plus a poor header for the 4th. It happens.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Oct 2015 10:26

It's the manner of the defeat that irks many Maguire, not the defeat itself.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 25 Oct 2015 10:30

Naff performance from us.

Naff performance from me - carted off on the first train back to Reading after the game for drinking cans in the streets.

:lol:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Oct 2015 10:32

genome It's the manner of the defeat that irks many Maguire, not the defeat itself.

All defeats are irksome. Derby was irksome, Birmingham was irksome, all for differing reasons.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Oct 2015 10:39

Right. People have every right to be angry about throwing away a 2-0 lead in six minutes.

The reaction in the next game is most important for me. Beating the league leaders would be the perfect tonic.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Oct 2015 10:46

North Somerset Royal
Norfolk Royal Agree with PTR's point above. Both our full backs were booked in the first half, pretty needlessly, and that put pressure on them for the rest of the game holding back their tackles. When Obita was booked early I would have been inclined to sub him at half time and put Taylor on, assuming he was on the bench. Would have taken some of the pressure away but you rarely see managers doing that early in the game.

Would think it is worth giving Taylor a run now as he looks pretty accomplished every time I've seen him. Only other point I would reiterate as PTR has already alluded to it, is that some of our play looks good but was too intricate at times and the ball was given away too often.

Once it got congested in the middle as we attacked there was no out ball to spread the play. It was crying out for some width which was not there unfortunately. We move on.

I agree but Taylor was not on the bench so maybe he is injured. Clarke didn't really have the option of subbing Gunter or Obita.
Subs: Bond, McCleary, Hurtado, Fernandez, John, Tshibola, Cooper

Presume too many loan players to have Taylor. That's the problem of selling and loaning back Hector.

I went to Rotherham but not Fulham. But it sounds like the same problem. On Tuesday it felt a bit like the Adkins era - effectively playing a 4-2-4 with no protection for the defense as the midfield gets swamped (although that's a bit harsh on Blackman as he's been working really hard to get back). Our best performances have been with Quinn as part of a midfield three and the support he provides to Obita. I think we should play Vydra or Piazon, but not both. I'd be happy to see Tish come in against Brighton for Piazon and play a 4-3-2-1 formation which gives Williams license to get forward and attack the box.

But SC should take some blame. He could have put Tish on earlier (perhaps after the first goal). Blackman also looked completely knackered at the end of the Rotherham game and I think he needs to be subbed off occasionally to keep him fresh.

bishmanbosh92

by bishmanbosh92 » 25 Oct 2015 10:48

First 25 Minnutes we were amazing and looked so comfortable , then suddenly after there first flood gates opened and it was like playing without a defence