BFTG - Fulham

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Fulham

by Greatwesternline » 26 Oct 2015 13:31

tidus_mi2
Ian Royal I don't know about you, but when I'm really angry is the last point I want to be giving feedback because it's likely to slip beyond constructive and into personal and unhelpful.

Silence is way more affective than shouting IMO. Shout and you send at least some people into defence mode and they may attack back. Silence is impossible to ignore.

I've got to agree and I fully support Clarke's decision there. Especially since, after watching it back he can then call players out, show them the footage and it won't be a lot of "This is what I saw, you made a mistake", it's "This is on video, you oxf*rd up".

Agreed, who actually performs better at anything after being shouted at? That is the art of management, anyone can just yell at someone.

Perhaps it works on children, but i think footballers see themselves as slightly better than that.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 26 Oct 2015 13:57

floyd__streete Two poor results in 5 days and a lead given away both times :!:

Saw the goals and it looked like Fulham tore us a new one, just strolling through our defence with quick passing.

I read a lot about how this team needs time to gel.....fine, but we are a quarter of the way through the season and it must be remembered that we have - what - 5 loan players (some signed at considerable cost) so it isn't as if we have infinite time to build on such short-termist planning :!:

Two slightly shit results in a 46-game season doesn't mean we're suddenly a complete shower of shit, as much as I'm sure you'd love it to.

Prior to that we were in very good form, and the loan players were all a part of that too. Some games we will get beaten and play poorly, and in other games we will win and play well.

The next few games are important to show that we have the quality to recover from shit results. I'd be more inclined to judge the team after that.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Oct 2015 13:59

You don't have to SHOUT when you're angry you know. But as he was fired up, he could have told them how he saw it, he didn't have to single anyone out - I would have singled out the TACTICS they seemed to employ. Why keep passing back or sideways, why not have a shot just outside the box etc? Why were they not getting stuck into tackles? That's what I would have told them made me so cross.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Oct 2015 14:19

Royal Lady Why keep passing back or sideways, why not have a shot just outside the box etc? Why were they not getting stuck into tackles? That's what I would have told them made me so cross.

I agree with this and I've heard a few people say the same. Passing game is excellent and at times, but I sometimes think they're trying to be too clever and fancy.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Oct 2015 14:31

I really like Vydra, but he's particularly guilty of this. Doesn't seem to want to take more than one touch.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 26 Oct 2015 15:34

Royal Lady wrote:
You don't have to SHOUT when you're angry you know. But as he was fired up, he could have told them how he saw it, he didn't have to single anyone out - I would have singled out the TACTICS they seemed to employ. Why keep passing back or sideways, why not have a shot just outside the box etc? Why were they not getting stuck into tackles? That's what I would have told them made me so cross.

:lol: Perhaps Clarke should have called you into the dressing room Royal Lady, as you certainly seem to have a way of making your point known. I like your use of the word 'cross' as well. Something that was distinctly lacking into their box on Saturday.

JIM

by JIM » 26 Oct 2015 15:41

Dear Royal players, Get me 6 out of 6 for the next 2 home games, and all is forgiven. :D

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Oct 2015 16:37

I think out problems are in attack, clearly had we scored 3 more goals we would have won that game.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 26 Oct 2015 16:58

Royal Ginger The ' :lol: ' gives it a certain something...

Perhaps it could be construed as that, granted, but I was merely laughing at myself - didn't know you weren't allowed to drink cans outside a pub - for being issued with a dispersal order for probably the lightest offence ever.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Oct 2015 17:38

Royal Lady You don't have to SHOUT when you're angry you know. But as he was fired up, he could have told them how he saw it, he didn't have to single anyone out - I would have singled out the TACTICS they seemed to employ. Why keep passing back or sideways, why not have a shot just outside the box etc? Why were they not getting stuck into tackles? That's what I would have told them made me so cross.

I'm not sure you're a great proponent for this idea seeing as you have a bit of a history when it comes to not being the most objective or calm when it comes to something or someone that's pissed you off.

It's a bit of a baffling issue to pick up for criticism given all that went wrong. The point is that if he's that angry he doesn't feel in control enough to achieve what your suggesting.

It's rare to have that self awareness.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Oct 2015 19:32

I keep meaning to post but I literally just cba with the amount I have to say.

But yeah, to sum it up, shit.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Oct 2015 01:28

I don't think that SC is always picking what thinks is the best 11 for that game

He has a few problems to resolve

1. He needs to get Vydra fully fit and regular (to justify the cost and decide on a permanent signing)

2. Piazon may be on one of those Chelsea deals where, if we play him, he's free for that week.

As things stand, playing both seems too much of a luxury, but let's remember that it's likely SC
has certain orders ...

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 27 Oct 2015 10:29

Snowball
1. He needs to get Vydra fully fit and regular

Ah that may explain why he was out. Too many accidents in training

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Oct 2015 13:16

Steve_Upper_West But you still seem pleased with yourself ?

Yeah, Swainey, you despicable b@stard. Only a Reading supporter would get upset about a bloke at a football match having a surreptitious, harmless beer. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Steve Upper West didn't tap a member of Met Plod on the shoulder and pointed out Mr Swainey drinking.

Two slightly shit results in a 46-game season doesn't mean we're suddenly a complete shower of shit, as much as I'm sure you'd love it to.

Why would I love it? :?: I've wasted enough money on rubbish RFC teams over the years so I don't apologise for being slightly suspicious of hype.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Oct 2015 15:03

The last few performances and couple of results don't necessarily mean we're not as "good as we think we are" but I definitely think it means we aren't as invincible as we think we are.

We can't just strol into a lead and think we've won the game, we did it against two of the better teams in the division in Boro and Burnley, but we've now dropped 5 points from winning positions against much lesser teams.

It's not the end of the world, of course it's not, let's just hope everyone in the squad and management addresses it.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 27 Oct 2015 15:55

floyd__streete

Why would I love it? :?: I've wasted enough money on rubbish RFC teams over the years so I don't apologise for being slightly suspicious of hype.

You just strike me as the kind of fan who, for some perverse reason, wants us to be shit.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 28 Oct 2015 18:51

floyd__streete Yeah, Swainey, you despicable b@stard. Only a Reading supporter would get upset about a bloke at a football match having a surreptitious, harmless beer. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Steve Upper West didn't tap a member of Met Plod on the shoulder and pointed out Mr Swainey drinking.

:lol:

The queue in the King Arms was too busy for an impatient oxf*rd like myself, so nipped round the offy next door and bought a few cans. I wasn't even picked up drinking them inside the pub, but as soon as I popped outside for a crafty fag, the Old Bill told me to make a move. Haven't they got to be catching 70s TV paedos or the McCanns?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Oct 2015 15:28

we started to believe our own hype, and thought we were better than we are. I include myself in that.
hopefully these results will mean a return to not even thinking about hype and just getting on with games

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 29 Oct 2015 19:06

My first trip to Fulham, really nice ground and location so can see why its a fans favourite, and it had all been going so well. First half we were in totally in control and a neat combination between Orlando and Vydra resulted in a quality goal by Piazon, could have been more too, not through clear cut chance misses but I thought at times we were guilty of trying to walk the ball in the net, too many sideways passes across goal when on the edge of the box instead of just one or two killer ones.

A very well taken goal by Orlando a few minutes into the second period and it was looking like another 3 points, until a crazy 5-6 minute spell changed the whole game and we just never really recovered. We had barely finished celebrating when we they sneaked in their first goal and that immediately gave them something to fight for.

We weren't decisive enough in defence for the first two goals and failed to clear the ball properly, but when they scored their second I thought we would wake up and come back at them, but just as we tried to do that, Piazon losing possession allowed them to break quickly and suddenly it was 3-2. Our defensive shape is important and has been good this season, but we completely lost it and it was a bit worrying that we looked leaderless and our captain McShane, who has been near faultless this season, was one of the main culprits when it came to the mistakes (particularly for their 4th).

That's the kind of defensive display we would be complaining about almost weekly this season had Pearce still been leading the back four, thankfully he isnt and this should just be a one off. Still, very important to get at least something against Brighton and not let this become a rut. A win and we would forget it instantly and it would be great for getting that confidence back, I think we can do it.

Some changes I would make though, go back to the front 3 of Vydra, Sa, Blackman, (Blackman is ineffective when played as wide as he was on Saturday as we saw)

Drop Piazon (he's not even playing in best position behind the striker anyway) and go back to the midfield 3 of Norwood, Williams and Tshibola (or Alex?) (Quinn injured obvs)

When Ferdinand is fit he should come back in to partner McShane, not saying Hector has been bad but Ferdy is a better partner for McShane and overal shape looks better with him in the side. Also, its not going to benefit us to keep developing Hector as he is no longer our player, I'd rather see Cooper come in now if need be, he's potentially a better player anyway.

Also Clarkey, don't be afraid to make changes and make them sooner, on 60-80 minutes rather than 70-90 minutes.