That Robin Friday goal/match/night

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

That Robin Friday goal/match/night

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2015 10:00

The EP are running a nostalgia piece on that Tranmere game. Great to see the photos they have, shame they're not captioned specifically, but then I suppose we can play guess the players and what had happened/what happened next etc.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/berksh ... p-10363168

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: That Robin Friday goal/match/night

by Franchise FC » 02 Nov 2015 10:21

Slight shame that they couldn't post the pics in chronological order (a floodlit game turning into an early evening dusk game)

There's one that should contain me and quite probably Lux, although trying to pick anyone out in those grainy photos would be a lottery.

It was our own version of the Matthews Final - the bloke that scored a hat-trick hardly ever gets mentioned because of the piece of Friday magic.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Nov 2015 12:18

Was Friday's goal in any way similar to this Japanese one doing the rounds at the moment?

http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/jap ... ason-6422/

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Nov 2015 12:19

FWIW I was not at the Reading v Tranmere game in question.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Nov 2015 12:26

Sanguine Was Friday's goal in any way similar to this Japanese one doing the rounds at the moment?

http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/jap ... ason-6422/

Nah. Friday's was in Black and White.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Nov 2015 12:30

It was also at least 30 yards further out. I would know, I was there.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 02 Nov 2015 13:05

genome It was also at least 30 yards further out. I would know, I was there.

Not according to the article - He’s about 25-30 yards out and hits the ball over his own shoulder with such enormous power it flies into the top right hand corner of the Tranmere goal.!!!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Nov 2015 13:12

I heard he celebrated by knocking one off over a policemans helmet whilst taking a dump in Lawrence Mcmenemys kit bag and he scored the goal from at least 200 yards out after dribbing the ball down to Ye Boars Head for a quick pint (referees were a bit more lenient with the ball going out of play in those days).

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 Nov 2015 18:37

Forbury Lion I heard he celebrated by knocking one off over a policemans helmet whilst taking a dump in Lawrence Mcmenemys kit bag and he scored the goal from at least 200 yards out after dribbing the ball down to Ye Boars Head for a quick pint (referees were a bit more lenient with the ball going out of play in those days).

Didn't he have a shag then a joint after he left the Boar's Head, before coming back on to the pitch?

In all seriousness, still the best goal I've ever seen, and the whole ground went silent for a good half second before cheering - we simply couldn't believe what we had seen!!! An attendance of over 250,000 going silent all at once is a sight to behold I can tell you!

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 02 Nov 2015 20:41

I was there as a kid sat on the wall bottom of the south bank near the Tilehurst Rd , end I'll never forget Clive Thomas the ref applauding the goal and I'll never forget the roar from the crowd when he scored. it was a bit like slow motion the run then the finish for the amazing goal, I remember buzzing on my long walk home to Tilehurst, couldn't afford a bus.....cue violins , those were the days !

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Nov 2015 21:12

You were on the wall, we were further back in the same area and sometimes my kids sat on the wall at the back of the South Stand even if the roof obstructed their view.
One night one of my son's schoolmates came along and saw John Alexander score 4 and thought it would only be a matter of time before he would get an England cap.

Looking back at the league table where we finished 3rd we "only" scored 42 home goals that season whereas the champions, Lincoln, scored 71.
Incidentally Tranmere weren't rubbish,they finished just 2 points behind us in 4th.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 02 Nov 2015 22:08

Further back than the wall, luxury. My mates and i were watching from the roof of the Battle Hospital where we were half way through a 12 hour shift mucking out the toilets, for three penny half a day and all the left over sweaty hospital food we could eat. Kids at the Madstad these days don't know they were born.

JIM

by JIM » 02 Nov 2015 22:18

I was there at EP. Half way between clock and Reading end. silence for a few moments in disbelief then all hell let loose, fantastic.
one of those " Where were you " moments .

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 03 Nov 2015 00:00

Stevie G we were half way through a 12 hour shift mucking out the toilets, for three penny half a day.

One of the Four Yorkshiremen?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 03 Nov 2015 08:18

Forbury Lion I heard he celebrated by knocking one off over a policemans helmet whilst taking a dump in Lawrence Mcmenemys kit bag and he scored the goal from at least 200 yards out after dribbing the ball down to Ye Boars Head for a quick pint (referees were a bit more lenient with the ball going out of play in those days).

I'm sorry,that just proves that you weren't there. He had two pints in the Spreadeagle (one was never enough for Robin), cheered on by an ecstatic crowd who were screaming for him to eat some Pork Scratchings!!

The Boars Head? That's just crazy talk!!

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 03 Nov 2015 09:37

Remember the goal like it was yesterday. God, are a lot of the posters on here really that young? Let's face it, some of us were privileged to see Robin Friday play football on a regular basis. Just like the Man Ure fans were privileged to watch Georgie Best. And, of course, some of us saw George play at Elm Park in the Watney Cup, 1970. Was that day hot enough or what? Remember the Stretford End making their way along Norfolk Road, at lunchtime, and putting some ventilation in a few of the windows. An army full of skinheads, braces, DM's, sta prest, the works.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Nov 2015 10:23

The Cap Remember the goal like it was yesterday. God, are a lot of the posters on here really that young? Let's face it, some of us were privileged to see Robin Friday play football on a regular basis. Just like the Man Ure fans were privileged to watch Georgie Best. And, of course, some of us saw George play at Elm Park in the Watney Cup, 1970. Was that day hot enough or what? Remember the Stretford End making their way along Norfolk Road, at lunchtime, and putting some ventilation in a few of the windows. An army full of skinheads, braces, DM's, sta prest, the works.

Didn't Georgie also play FOR Reading in a friendly v New Zealand back in around 1983?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 03 Nov 2015 10:49

Sutekh wrote:

The Cap wrote:
Remember the goal like it was yesterday. God, are a lot of the posters on here really that young? Let's face it, some of us were privileged to see Robin Friday play football on a regular basis. Just like the Man Ure fans were privileged to watch Georgie Best. And, of course, some of us saw George play at Elm Park in the Watney Cup, 1970. Was that day hot enough or what? Remember the Stretford End making their way along Norfolk Road, at lunchtime, and putting some ventilation in a few of the windows. An army full of skinheads, braces, DM's, sta prest, the works.

Didn't Georgie also play FOR Reading in a friendly v New Zealand back in around 1983?

He did indeed. Slightly digressing from our mate Robin, however, on 29th October 1984, Elm Park saw Reading host the New Zealand national team in a friendly game. Best played for the Royals, as a special guest, along with England World Cup winner Martin Peters. Sadly though, neither legend could help the Royals from going down 2-1, with Stuart Beavon getting the goal for Ian Branfoot's team. 3,890 fans were on hand for what was described as a Football & Firework spectacular!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Nov 2015 10:58

I wasn't there so can't comment..................................

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Nov 2015 12:17

Gordons Cumming I wasn't there so can't comment..................................

Really?! I was there, even though I hadn't been born, or conceived, and my parents hadn't met.