Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Welcome back Brian

by andrew1957 » 09 Dec 2015 15:26

genome We'd all look pretty stupid if it didn't happen now...

We should all rush to his old Madstad car park space and demand his return. And a hunger strike if he turns RFC down.

Winston Smith
    Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 09 Dec 2015 15:27

gazzer, loyal royal Oversaw training this morning. Expect it to be announced very shortly

appreciate the update, g,lr

USA_Loyal_Royal
    Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 09 Dec 2015 15:27

gazzer, loyal royal Oversaw training this morning. Expect it to be announced very shortly

Poor nick blackman, he won't get any more goals and probably will barely make the bench...

melonhead
    Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2015 15:28

the premiere league is a bit different. many decent managers have failed to keep a team up.

when you lose a game and don't play well its always going to be dull and annoying to the fans, but to say mcdermotts tenure here was domin8ed by uninspiring fooball is daft.

we had some great games, & played pretty fast paced attacking football for much of his time here.

this disasterous attempt to try changing the ethos of the club towards the fad of continental style passing/possession football is what has ruined the last few years.

ill take winning football any day.

RoyalJames101
    Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 09 Dec 2015 15:30

USA_Loyal_Royal Extremely :| about brian coming back. On one hand he brought us to the premier league for a season and he is truly one of us.

But on the other hand he played extremely boring hoof ball that only worked in the championship but in the premier League we were demolished. He was dreadful in the transfer window. His tactics were abysmal and he didnt get any better at Leeds. I can say confidently if brian was still manager our side wouldn't be anywhere near as talented as it is today. He is a decent man manager but lest us forget how little he could handle guthrie, let alone our bigger name playera now! He made people want to work for him but he played favorites and was to loyal to players for his own good. Never come back also comes to mind. Not to mention the endless soundbites of we move on that pissed everyone off so much. It's pretty funny how short everyone's memory is.

Brian gave us a lot of great memories, as well as a lot of shit ones pretty much immediately after getting promoted.

I'm really not looking forward to endless hoof ball again, not with the talent we FINALLY have at out disposal.

We're in the Championship. HTH.

leon
    Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Dec 2015 15:30

melonhead the premiere league is a bit different. many decent managers have failed to keep a team up.

when you lose a game and don't play well its always going to be dull and annoying to the fans, but to say mcdermotts tenure here was domin8ed by uninspiring fooball is daft.

we had some great games, & played pretty fast paced attacking football for much of his time here.

this disasterous attempt to try changing the ethos of the club towards the fad of continental style passing/possession football is what has ruined the last few years.

yep, yep all this.

USA_Loyal_Royal
    Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 09 Dec 2015 15:31

melonhead the premiere league is a bit different. many decent managers have failed to keep a team up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't much of that "attacking football" us soaking up pressure and nicking a goal on fast breaks and then sitting back? That's how I remember it at least...

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 09 Dec 2015 15:33

sputnik Is this confrimed yet?

The appointment? Or the fact that Dave is a bellend?

Pepe the Horseman
    Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Dec 2015 15:34

Welcome back Bri Bri x

Super psyched about Preston now.

USA_Loyal_Royal
    Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 09 Dec 2015 15:34

RoyalJames101
    USA_Loyal_Royal Extremely :| about brian coming back. On one hand he brought us to the premier league for a season and he is truly one of us.

But on the other hand he played extremely boring hoof ball that only worked in the championship but in the premier League we were demolished. He was dreadful in the transfer window. His tactics were abysmal and he didnt get any better at Leeds. I can say confidently if brian was still manager our side wouldn't be anywhere near as talented as it is today. He is a decent man manager but lest us forget how little he could handle guthrie, let alone our bigger name playera now! He made people want to work for him but he played favorites and was to loyal to players for his own good. Never come back also comes to mind. Not to mention the endless soundbites of we move on that pissed everyone off so much. It's pretty funny how short everyone's memory is.

Brian gave us a lot of great memories, as well as a lot of shit ones pretty much immediately after getting promoted.

I'm really not looking forward to endless hoof ball again, not with the talent we FINALLY have at out disposal.

We're in the Championship. HTH.

True, but we have to at least prepare for the possibility of going up again. We have the side, the backing, and everything in place to make a run for it. What happens when we do go up are we suddenly going to forget brian first attempt? I sure as hell won't and it's pretty unlikely he will keep us up! We need a manager who can get us there and stabilize us at the top league! No more being a yo yo club, which we can barely even call ourselves that.

winchester_royal
    Hob Nob Super-Addict
    Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Dec 2015 15:35

Sorry buddy, but this is nonsense. The vast majority of the time it wasn't 'boring hoofball', it was high tempo attacking football that got the best out of the players we had at the time. Obviously there were occasions where it didn't work, where we were going direct too quickly and without the required accuracy of pass to make it effective, but that can always be the case.

The issue many of us had was a lack of a plan B to turn to once it became clear the direct game wasn't working, but I think that was mostly down to a lack of other options in the squad. We didn't have the players to out-pass a premier league side. My main gripe with him at the time of sacking was that we didn't bring in a different type of player, but as has become clear in the past couple of years he simply did not have the resources to do that, thus making his sacking appear increasingly harsh.

If he is able to motivate this current group of players then the entertainment will look after itself.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 09 Dec 2015 15:37

USA_Loyal_Royal

Poor nick blackman, he won't get any more goals and probably will barely make the bench...

Which would be odd given that McD signed him - although that was 2 1/2 years ago.

genome
    Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2015 15:42

Gazzer is normally very reliable so looks like this one is on.

3points
    Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Dec 2015 15:42

Forbury Lion
    semtex1871 The best thing about this news is that it means Nigel Adkins will be the next manager......
    Followed by Steve Clarke.... might be cheaper to just keep him on the payroll rather than pay his contract up now and then have to reappoint him.

Why not make him head coach under Brian - Clarke's always been a good number 2 / head coach

genome
    Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2015 15:43

USA_Loyal_Royal

Why do people keep saying this?

Brian signed him, he had four games here while McDermott was manager and made appearances in three of them.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 09 Dec 2015 15:43

Pepe the Horseman Welcome back Bri Bri x

Super psyched about Preston now.

I've got my £5 on already - i'm sure it will give the squad and fans a boost.

Pepe the Horseman
    Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Dec 2015 15:46

I'll take a plucky draw with a last minute equaliser.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 09 Dec 2015 15:47

Very very poor appointment, lack of ambition, boring style of football, cheep option.

Mc donut is unable to attract decent players such as Quinn , vydra or mcshane

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
    Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 09 Dec 2015 15:47

winchester_royal

Sorry buddy, but this is nonsense. The vast majority of the time it wasn't 'boring hoofball', it was high tempo attacking football that got the best out of the players we had at the time. Obviously there were occasions where it didn't work, where we were going direct too quickly and without the required accuracy of pass to make it effective, but that can always be the case.

The issue many of us had was a lack of a plan B to turn to once it became clear the direct game wasn't working, but I think that was mostly down to a lack of other options in the squad. We didn't have the players to out-pass a premier league side. My main gripe with him at the time of sacking was that we didn't bring in a different type of player, but as has become clear in the past couple of years he simply did not have the resources to do that, thus making his sacking appear increasingly harsh.

If he is able to motivate this current group of players then the entertainment will look after itself.

Agree with a lot of this.
    The achilles heel of Brian's reign was the lack of a central midfielder who is comfortable playing in the opponents half after Gylfi left. Yet we seemed to have had lots who liked to play in their own half. The squad seems a lot more balanced now - there's even an increased chance to implement a Plan B.

TBM
    Hob Nob Super-Addict
    Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Dec 2015 15:50

RG7Fan
    Mr Optimist Brian's recent scouting sabbatical might work in our favour too in terms of some new faces in January.

If he can get Arsenal to sign them and then push them straight out to us on loan that'll key the finances happy too.

Yay more loans

1226 posts