BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

110 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by PieEater » 20 Dec 2015 18:28

Well that was a great result considering the run of form we've had.

We really didn't look that much better than previous games but a wondergoal from Williams was the difference. Blackburn looked solid and competitive but had little threat up front except from set pieces.

It was good to see Quinn back, although left back is clearly not his best position. We battled in midfield and it was really a game were we cancelled each other out.

Ola John added something when he came on, but the Huddersfield winner has gone to his head an he tried to repeat it on the two chances he had.

Now looking forward to getting something from Wolves.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Rovers

by Nameless » 20 Dec 2015 18:35

If left back is 'clearly' not Quinn's best position then he'll be a stunning player when he does find his best position. He looked very comfortable today at left back and if Taylor and Obita are out for a while we have a very competent option.
And whilst the first half was 'more of the same' in the second the confidence was back and you could start to see what we should be capable of. If Brian can build on this then I'm much more optimistic about the rest of the season.
One half does not of course make a season....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2015 18:38

Minor negatives first to get them out of the way.
Disappointing turnout and atmos for Bri's return.
Disappointingly direct first half... too many big balls forward and hooks over the shoulder.
Blackman back to right wing which just doesn't suit him.
McCleary on his far weaker side.
Didn't take our chances to kill the game off.

Positives
Far better desire, commitment, concentration and determination.
Better use of Vydra - if not working fully yet.
Quinn's back
Much better from Williams.
Piazon played correctly
Much better pass and move second half.
John looks a super sub
Confidence boosting win and cleansheet. Just about.

Bond 7
Gunter 7
McShane 7
Hector 7
Quinn 7
Norwood 6.5
Williams 9
Blackman 6
McCleary 6.5
HRK 6.5
Vydra 6.5

Piazon 7
John 7

Brian 9
Ref 8
Fans 6.5

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Dec 2015 18:47

A lot more positive than under the dour Scot.

Quinn or McShane my MOTM.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Dec 2015 18:50

Nice

Just got to get the momentum going Brian.....you have this team and its supporters in the palm of you hands.

Welcome back

Looking forward to the RFC rebirth

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 20 Dec 2015 18:51

PieEater Well that was a great result considering the run of form we've had.

We really didn't look that much better than previous games but a wondergoal from Williams was the difference. Blackburn looked solid and competitive but had little threat up front except from set pieces.

It was good to see Quinn back, although left back is clearly not his best position. We battled in midfield and it was really a game were we cancelled each other out.

Ola John added something when he came on, but the Huddersfield winner has gone to his head an he tried to repeat it on the two chances he had.

Now looking forward to getting something from Wolves.

So we beat Huddersfield?..that`s news to me

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Dec 2015 18:51

An improvement, firstly in the result and performance but obviously still a long way to go. It felt "right" to have Brian back today, and I think the crowd immediately just felt so much more positive and that makes a difference. The players seemed far more appreciative at the end too.

I still think they need to learn how to do Throw Ins. I think I saw two examples today where a Reading player threw it in, and then after one touch the opposition had it. It just seems wasteful to me to give away possession in such a basic way.

I was confused about the reaction to Guthrie and didn't feel he deserved to be boo'd when he was subbed off. Especially when he clapped both sets of supporters.

Piazon is getting more praise than I expected. He still to me seems too weak and lightweight. He is so easily thrown off the ball and pushed over.

Quinn... Blown away by his quality today. His worth ethic is superb and I think he plays a leading role, it was clear today how much we had missed him being on the pitch.

Heard on the radio something about Vydra making a quick escape in his car just after the game - surely not a good sign?

Also heard Brian on the radio after and like his attitude of "it's all about the group, no one individual is bigger than the group".

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Dec 2015 18:54

First half was dreadful, but we scored.

Piazon made a huge difference when he came on. The second half was much better, we just couldn't score.

Blackman isn't a winger (in a 4-4-2) and HRK isn't a striker. Both put in a good shift but didn't threaten as much as in their best position.

Quinn was good enough defensively, and it's great to have him back, but he did nothing going forward. Maybe he'll provide more threat when he's fit.

Williams proved the doubters wrong - that performance was reminiscent of Sidwell at his best.

Ratings:

Bond 6
Gunter 7
McShane 5
Hector 5
Quinn 6.5
Blackman 7
Williams 9
Norwood 8
McCleary 7
Vydra 5
HRK 7

Piazon 8.5
John 7

McDermott 9

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Dec 2015 18:58

Firstly my confusion... left winger up front, right winger on the left and a striker on the right. Very curious.
Really awful first half but the change to 451 made a huge difference and we finally started playing it through the middle and looked so much better for it.

Bond 7. Nothing really to do, bit slow off his line twice and was helped by Quinn
Günter 7. Did ok
McShane 8. Thought he was much better today
Hector 7. Didn't do anything wrong
Quinn 8. Not his natural position, so did bloody well considering
McCleary 6. Playing on the wrong side, but where is the Garath of old?
Norwood 6. One of his weaker games
Williams 8. Best game in a while, grew into the game second half
Blackman 7. Wasted on right, improved towards the end when he started cutting in
HRK 5. I'm in a minority of 1, but I thought he did nothing of any use
Vydra 5. Couldn't get in the game

Piazon 7. Think he's lightweight but made a difference
John 7. Made a massive difference to our attacking

MoM between McShane and Williams

Brian.... very confused with the line up and leaving HRK up front. But fair play for the subs and formation tweak. Welcome back :D

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 20 Dec 2015 18:59

I only heard applause from both sets of fans when Guthrie went off - which I thought was thoroughly undeserved from us, he did nothing here.

A fairly poor first half from both sides but Blackburn certainly finished it stronger. The tactical switch Brian made at half time certainly made a difference though and we were well on top for most of the half. It was also very pleasing that even 1-0 up, Brian still made 2 attacking changes rather than defensive as Clarke tended to do.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Dec 2015 19:04

bobby1413 I was confused about the reaction to Guthrie and didn't feel he deserved to be boo'd when he was subbed off. Especially when he clapped both sets of supporters.

Where do you sit?

He was clapped by quite a few in the Y20/21 area. Which surprised me tbf

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Dec 2015 19:06

John Madejski's Wallet
bobby1413 I was confused about the reaction to Guthrie and didn't feel he deserved to be boo'd when he was subbed off. Especially when he clapped both sets of supporters.

Where do you sit?

He was clapped by quite a few in the Y20/21 area. Which surprised me tbf

Y25, they boo'd him on every touch of the ball

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Dec 2015 19:07

wingnut It was also very pleasing that even 1-0 up, Brian still made 2 attacking changes rather than defensive as Clarke tended to do.

Oh God yes. This ^^

:arrow: Welcome back Brian thread

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Dec 2015 19:17

Any Ex Reading player coming back rightly gets applause pre match. It's not about what they did, it's that they were here.
Once the game starts then it's a different matter....although there was no real justification for booing Guthrie.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Dec 2015 19:34

Offered us very little when started..refused to obey his team manager.........declined to attend an away game....worthy of the chagrin....Guthrie was no Reading player

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 20 Dec 2015 19:37

Best thing about Guthrie today... He got on the bus and was driven away

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 20 Dec 2015 19:39

For a change I sat in the east stand top of Y21, sun in eyes first half so won't do that again.

The goal was sensational but we needed that 2nd goal, I always thought Rovers would get back in to it, so very pleased we closed it out.

John offered a lot when he came on, Vydra I think is off in Jan, he didn't seem interested. At least Brian reacted and didn't wait for 60 or 70 minutes to make the decision to sub him.

Fair play to the Rovers fans who made noise throughout, thus game has given us a lift and with Wolves getting a tooling at Wednesday, pressure is on them.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Dec 2015 19:40

Chav in front of me applauded Guthrie more than he did McDermott. :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Dec 2015 19:40

AthleticoSpizz Offered us very little when started..refused to obey his team manager.........declined to attend an away game....worthy of the chagrin....Guthrie was no Reading player

Agree with this but don't believe that warrants him being booed

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Dec 2015 19:42

Jeez Bobby....how many more reasons do you need

He ain't won any Nobel a peace Prizes :D

110 posts