10%

Total votes: 189
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: CONFIMRED - Blackman to Derby

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Jan 2016 01:21

Also agree with Snowball.

While I'm gutted we've lost a striker good enough to hit double figures by Christmas, largely from the right wing, not only would most of us have bitten off the arm of anyone offering a few 100k's this time last year, £2m+ now or jack in the summer is a no brainer that sadly appears lost on some of our resident plonkers :|

Where I really agree with Snowball is in this team being less than the sum of it's parts and something, somewhere being very wrong.

Was Blackman the real bad apple, the worst of the egos Brian alluded to? As much as I rated him, I really hope this proves to be the case now he's gone.

This squad should be bashing down the top flight door with the rest of the best sides in this division but, frankly, the cobbled together on a shoestring 106 puts them to shame.

When I think of what we paid for all of Kitson, Doyle & Long, I'm not sure if I want to weep or break a few windows :|
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 09 Jan 2016 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 09 Jan 2016 08:36

He probably wanted to move on, the price was right, we sold him.

Never felt like he was ever comfortable here after appearing to be a panic type signing from Sheff Utd whose fans seemed mildly amused at getting £1m or so for him at the time.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 09 Jan 2016 10:08

Love him or hate him, forget the fact that we would of got nothing for him in the summer and that the price (which we don't know for sure) was too good to turn down, the fact remains that no ambitious club would sell their top goal scorer mid season.
Reading have always been a selling club and always will be. Don't expect much of that money to be re-invested other than on the odd 17 year old from Croatia who can't even play in this country!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jan 2016 10:25

Woodcote Royal Also agree with Snowball.

While I'm gutted we've lost a striker good enough to hit double figures by Christmas, largely from the right wing, not only would most of us have bitten off the arm of anyone offering a few 100k's this time last year, £2m+ now or jack in the summer is a no brainer that sadly appears lost on some of our resident plonkers :|

|

If you want to start dishing out insults to those who don't share your view, try looking in the mirror.

How much have we spent/invested on Vydra who will be off in the summer unless we decide we want him and pay more? How much will it cost to get someone in who can score the goals that we are going to miss now Blackman has gone (that's assuming the club even try seriously)? If we don't replace those goals and miss out on going for promotion as a consequence, how much has that cost? How much will we lose in revenue as people give up on this season? How much did we rightly invest in letting Sidwell run down his contract?

So it's by no means the clear cut no brainer you claim and arguing the alternative approach does not make people plonkers.

OLLIE KEARNS I think CW is a pretty decent journalist in terms of covering Reading F.C, certainly some way ahead of Messrs Dellor, Gooding and Williams. So I'm surprised on his view on the Blackman transfer. If you look at the deal in reverse then would we be happy in paying £3.5m for a half season loan for Nick Blackman ? Given the time left on his contract this is a surprisingly high sum of money to be offered and so very hard to refuse.

But it's not £3.5M is it? As I am sure the club will be quick to tell us if/when we fail to sign a decent replacement in this window. Also I think CW is basing a lot of his argument on the assumption that the club will not be prepared/able to pay out the money that will be required to ensure we get a decent replacement for Blackman this window (and the sooner the better as games tick quickly by).

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2016 10:34

MR. CYNICAL Love him or hate him, forget the fact that we would of got nothing for him in the summer and that the price (which we don't know for sure) was too good to turn down, the fact remains that no ambitious club would sell their top goal scorer mid season.

Apart from for all the reasons you've just listed :|

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 09 Jan 2016 10:42

But that's what i'm saying, no ambitious club would sell despite all those reasons.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jan 2016 10:48

The term 'ambitious' has been overused so much as to have lost any meaning.
Would an 'ambitious' club allow a manager to sign 11 new players ?
Would an ambitious club pay a huge fee to loan in a proven goal scorer for a season ?
As for Reading being a selling club, that applies to every club bar a tiny handful. It's the way it works and again it's a meaningless cliche.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Jan 2016 12:04

MR. CYNICAL Love him or hate him, forget the fact that we would of got nothing for him in the summer and that the price (which we don't know for sure) was too good to turn down, the fact remains that no ambitious club would sell their top goal scorer mid season.
Reading have always been a selling club and always will be. Don't expect much of that money to be re-invested other than on the odd 17 year old from Croatia who can't even play in this country!

Every club in this country is a selling club if the buying club is big enough or rich enough

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 09 Jan 2016 12:26

MR. CYNICAL But that's what i'm saying, no ambitious club would sell despite all those reasons.

What about a club who sold their top goalscorer, added a load of money on top of the money they got for their sold player and managed to get someone even better in?

That would be a club selling their top scorer yet being ambitious

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Jan 2016 12:52

Man u sold Ronaldo.
Do they lack ambition?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2016 13:03

One player doesn't make a team (unless he's Gylfi) and there's plenty of reason to believe our team will function as well or better with someone other than Blackman playing. Even if no individual steps up or comes in to contribute as much individually in goal terms.

Simple fact is the last few games under McDermott he's played right wing and done virtually nothing. McCleary will do that job better in all likelihood. We still have options upfront who've shown promise, if not fully delivered yet.

Whilst Vydra hasn't set the world alight here you'd have to be clueless to think he's looked terrible. And he's got far better pedigree at this level than Blackman's 10 good games, Mostly from a position we're looking unlikely to use.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 09 Jan 2016 13:25

melonhead Man u sold Ronaldo.
Do they lack ambition?

Look at the shit they're in now!!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Jan 2016 13:46

OLLIE KEARNS I think CW is a pretty decent journalist in terms of covering Reading F.C, certainly some way ahead of Messrs Dellor, Gooding and Williams. So I'm surprised on his view on the Blackman transfer. If you look at the deal in reverse then would we be happy in paying £3.5m for a half season loan for Nick Blackman ? Given the time left on his contract this is a surprisingly high sum of money to be offered and so very hard to refuse.
For the record, I don't but into any of the bad attitude stuff with Blackman either. In fact quite the opposite. He has put a shift in wherever he plays and I'm sure he'd have continued do so even if he'd stayed with a view to leaving in the summer. The fact is he would have left anyway and this is a very, very good deal.
The ambition of the club will best be defined by what they do with the money...

Good message, keeping him could have worked out to twice what Vydra is costing us.... £4m lost + wages for 6 months v £2.5m + (admittedly higher) wages for 12 months.

Whilst I disagree with Charles here I like that he's not afraid to nail his colours to the mast on an issue, especially when he fundamentally disagrees with actions undertaken by the club. Better than having a polished puppet espousing the clubs views. Or another Tim Dellor.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 09 Jan 2016 13:49

Did Ronaldo leave mid-season though?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 Jan 2016 13:53

Look it up mate

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 09 Jan 2016 14:32

starting for Derby tonight

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Jan 2016 14:32

Ian Royal One player doesn't make a team (unless he's Gylfi) and there's plenty of reason to believe our team will function as well or better with someone other than Blackman playing. Even if no individual steps up or comes in to contribute as much individually in goal terms.

Simple fact is the last few games under McDermott he's played right wing and done virtually nothing. McCleary will do that job better in all likelihood. We still have options upfront who've shown promise, if not fully delivered yet.

Whilst Vydra hasn't set the world alight here you'd have to be clueless to think he's looked terrible. And he's got far better pedigree at this level than Blackman's 10 good games, Mostly from a position we're looking unlikely to use.

When you get Matej Vydra in what do you expect him to do? Clue: it's not to look average.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Jan 2016 15:07

"The team will perform better without Blackman"

Similar to how the ever so wise experts of hob nob proclaimed how we would "easily replace" our "average Championship goalkeeper" who left in the summer.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Jan 2016 15:13

Ian Royal One player doesn't make a team (unless he's Gylfi) and there's plenty of reason to believe our team will function as well or better with someone other than Blackman playing. Even if no individual steps up or comes in to contribute as much individually in goal terms.

Running about a lot: 10/10
Scoring goals: 1/10

Terrible form.
On course to be the worst piece of business in Reading history.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 09 Jan 2016 15:23

P!ssed Off

Running about a lot: 10/10
Scoring goals: 1/10

Terrible form.
On course to be the worst piece of business in Reading history.

Looking back over his career roughly how many games does it take for Vydra to get going ? ..

898 posts