SUPER VYDRA

133 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SUPER VYDRA

by Top Flight » 21 Jan 2016 13:58

Sandman, you and Kwik Silva are making the wrong comparisons.

You are comparing him to his loan fee and certain expectations of him. You are comparing him to the wrong things.

You have to compare him to our other players and other options that we have within the squad.

He delivered better results at Watford, but football is a team game. he was partnered with Troy Deeney and playing in a good Watford side. He hasn't delivered the same number of goals for us but there are factors that have resulted in that. It is not only about one player in a team.

Moving forward, what would you do? Who would you pick up front for the Sheffield Wednesday match?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Jan 2016 14:01

I would pick Piazon or HRK to play behind Sa, with Quinn and John on the wings

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Jan 2016 14:03

It looks like Sa is out of favour.

Now that Kermorgant has been secured, Sa is likely to be sold off.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Jan 2016 14:05

That's not the question you asked; you asked who I would start on Saturday. Then Piazon/HRK off Kermorgant.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Jan 2016 14:12

Your selection might work.

I think Vydra & Kermorgant looks a stronger proposition than what you have suggested.

What would you do Sandman? Would you play Vydra against Sheffield Wednesday? What would be your attacking lineup?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Jan 2016 14:15

I'd leave Vydra as an impact sub tbh; can come on when they're absolutely ragged and may pick up a goal. If he continues like that then he can obviously worm his way back into the team - although clearly that's not the way Brian is going with him which, if it works, is fair enough.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Jan 2016 14:31

5820 Minutes 22 Goals 5 Assists 265 Mins/Goal 216 Mins/Goal-Assist Blackman (RFC All Seasons)

2611 Minutes 13 Goals 2 Assists 237 Mins/Goal 201Mins/Goal-Assist Blackman 2015-16
1544 Minutes 06 Goals 3 Assists 257 Mins/Goal 172Mins/Goal-Assist Vydra RFC 2015-16

Vydra's goals per minute this season is fractionally inferior to Blackman's tally this season

When assists are taken into consideration his stats are BETTER

Now add in his tackling back, and the excellent goal he helped make v Bristol

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Jan 2016 14:42

Snowball 5820 Minutes 22 Goals 5 Assists 265 Mins/Goal 216 Mins/Goal-Assist Blackman (RFC All Seasons)

2611 Minutes 13 Goals 2 Assists 237 Mins/Goal 201Mins/Goal-Assist Blackman 2015-16
1544 Minutes 06 Goals 3 Assists 257 Mins/Goal 172Mins/Goal-Assist Vydra RFC 2015-16

Vydra's goals per minute this season is fractionally inferior to Blackman's tally this season

2611 / 13 = 200.85
2611 / 15 = 174.07

Literally take out FA Cup Replays this season and Vydra's stats absolutely crash though, it's a statistical anomaly unless he can replicate it.

League stats:

Vydra (2,3) 273m per g/a
HRK (0,5) 201m per g/a
Piazon (3,2) 169 per g/a

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Jan 2016 14:44

Snowball 5820 Minutes 22 Goals 5 Assists 265 Mins/Goal 216 Mins/Goal-Assist Blackman (RFC All Seasons)

Brought in to be on the end of assists.

Esteban

by Esteban » 21 Jan 2016 14:45

The only way any player can justify such a ludicrous loan fee, is to be a significant part of a side that gets promoted. Besides, it's the club who have to be justified in their decision to sign him, not the player.

In Vydra's case, he should be judged in comparison to his teammates and peers. And on both counts, he's not the best, but certainly not the worst. Which sums up the entire club at present.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Jan 2016 15:02

Who is the best then Esteban?

Who is your first choice strikeforce?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Jan 2016 15:10

Are people seriously suggesting we should drop Vydra after scoring a hat trick in midweek.

Regardless of what you think of his time here in general or his loan fee, that's oxf*rd nuts!

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Jan 2016 15:12

Fair point, I was more thinking 'this is my ideal team based on Vydra's overall form', I admittedly wouldn't drop him after a hat-trick, no!

mambo3

by mambo3 » 21 Jan 2016 15:22

Solve this problem we buy Troy Deeny to get the best out of Vydra

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 21 Jan 2016 15:50

Surely deserves (for once) selection on the basis of bagging a hattrick. You have to think it might be the confidence boost he needed to kickstart his goal scoring tab

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2016 17:42

kwik silver Well, exactly, and frankly his prior Championship career means absolutely nothing now he's in a Reading shirt. He's missed simple chances here and hasn't justified his £2.5m loan fee. He works hard, yes, and he has contributed to goals in some form, but not enough for me.

his previous form are is the deciding factor in his fee and in why we signed him. No one is saying he's living up to expectations, but saying he's awful or hasn't contributed is stupid. Especially when he's now picking up.

All strikers miss simple chances sometimes. He hasn't missed lots of easy chances, a few certainly, but he's getting the chances and not hiding. His problem recently has clearly been confidence.

Now he's scored a hattrick. I wonder if that might help.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Jan 2016 17:50

Ian Royal
kwik silver Well, exactly, and frankly his prior Championship career means absolutely nothing now he's in a Reading shirt. He's missed simple chances here and hasn't justified his £2.5m loan fee. He works hard, yes, and he has contributed to goals in some form, but not enough for me.

his previous form are is the deciding factor in his fee and in why we signed him. No one is saying he's living up to expectations, but saying he's awful or hasn't contributed is stupid. Especially when he's now picking up.

All strikers miss simple chances sometimes. He hasn't missed lots of easy chances, a few certainly, but he's getting the chances and not hiding. His problem recently has clearly been confidence.

He may pick up from this point, but a hat-trick in one game doesn't necessarily mean he's starting to. And on your point of missing chances, he's actually missed the target more than he's hit it this season - he hasn't been very good, and getting the chances means very little if you're not going to finish them. Obviously I'd be ecstatic if he came good, but I'm not going to change my mind that so far he's been a poor signing off one game where the opposition was a man light, although it's obviously a good start.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2016 18:32

kwik-silva
Ian Royal

He may pick up from this point, but a hat-trick in one game doesn't necessarily mean he's starting to. And on your point of missing chances, he's actually missed the target more than he's hit it this season - he hasn't been very good, and getting the chances means very little if you're not going to finish them. Obviously I'd be ecstatic if he came good, but I'm not going to change my mind that so far he's been a poor signing off one game where the opposition was a man light, although it's obviously a good start.

Most strikers miss a lot. Murray got 8 in half a season, decent going, and was failing to score with about 3/4 or 4/5 of his shots.

Since Blackman left he's played 3/4 games. He's scored in two and bagged a total of 4. I'd say there's evidence he's improving. And it's quite reasonable to expect a player with a confidence problem and a clear quality track record to improve after getting a hat trick.
You'd have to be a total kunt to criticise him at the moment. Even a couple of games ago when some criticism was justified he got way more than he deservex.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Jan 2016 19:39

kwik-silva I'd leave Vydra as an impact sub tbh; can come on when they're absolutely ragged and may pick up a goal. If he continues like that then he can obviously worm his way back into the team - although clearly that's not the way Brian is going with him which, if it works, is fair enough.

You'd drop a bloke who scored a hat trick in his last game and who is undoubtedly the most prolific striker we have at the club right now?

Odd. Very odd.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Jan 2016 19:49

winchester_royal
kwik-silva I'd leave Vydra as an impact sub tbh; can come on when they're absolutely ragged and may pick up a goal. If he continues like that then he can obviously worm his way back into the team - although clearly that's not the way Brian is going with him which, if it works, is fair enough.

You'd drop a bloke who scored a hat trick in his last game and who is undoubtedly the most prolific striker we have at the club right now?

Odd. Very odd.

kwik-silva Fair point, I was more thinking 'this is my ideal team based on Vydra's overall form', I admittedly wouldn't drop him after a hat-trick, no!

As for your point Ian, last season for Watford each game he'd have approx. 0.8 shots on target, 0.5 off target. This season he has 0.4 shots on target, and 0.6 shots off target. Murray is similar in the fact he had 1.1 shots pg on target and 1.7 off, but he was clearly shooting far more also, but I seriously doubt we were creating more chances last season. Again, if he goes on from here to play well and score more goals but I'll believe it when I see it, and as I've said I personally haven't seen anything particularly great yet - and his misses (particularly in the games vs MK and Wolves) cost us points which we could definitely use.

Equally I really don't feel like you can detach the price from the player. He has been poor for the money spent. No doubting that, and even a good second half of this season will only get him to about where he should be, imo.

133 posts