How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by Longhorn1970 » 27 Jan 2016 19:44

Maneki Neko
Chelsea/Royal Granted, a great free kick against Huddersfield.

Too lightweight for me, and him an Vydra don't seem to work together.

defo lightweight, but have seen signs that he'll make a decent professional under brian.

will he stay then ?

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 27 Jan 2016 19:50

Nameless
Longhorn1970
Chelsea/Royal I see the team trying harder as a unit. I see more positivity from the manager, he changes things when they need changing ( although why he bothers with Piazon is beyond me ).

Gunter is getting forward more, HRK is putting in a shift, and I like the way he is helping Vydra, positive reinforcement.

We had none of that with SC, the man that went 5 at the back against Bolton remember!

short memory you have. Quinn and McShane on record saying players let SC down. BM may throw numbers forward when we are getting dicked by average opposition, but he seems unable to defend a lead hence 8 from 21.

So he says the players are trying harder under Brian and you counter that by saying they didn't try hard enough under Clarke ?
And also criticise him for something that has barely happened !
I'd criticise Brian for not getting uncompetitive in the first 20 minutes of games but praise him for sorting the issue out. Heneedstofind a way to make sure welly from the start though, we'd significantly higher up the table if we weren't chasing games too often.

I thought most were against hoof ball these days... :roll:

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 27 Jan 2016 19:52

Victor Meldrew
Hampshire Royal Just out of interest, why do you call Robson-Kanu 'Kanu'. It's part of his name, for sure, but it's not his name. Seems a bit disrespectful, if you ask me.

I thought he played really well yesterday, and was part of the reason why we had a good second-half against a good team.

Disrespectful?
This is a player who has one good game in 20 and disrespects the fans of my club by not trying very hard and not scoring any league goals.

How is he disrespecting Liverpool fans?[/quote]

Having supported Reading for 61 years and a season-ticket holder probably since before you were born I think I am entitled to refer to it as "my club" and in context with how this topic has gone perhaps you shouldn't be "disrespectful" or are you Kanu in disguise?[/quote]

So you've supported Reading since 1955. Bravo, well done you, supporting your local team!! I suppose you just jumped on the Liverpool bandwagon in (I'm guessing) 1962 when they were promoted to Div 1. Or maybe you didn't support them until 1964 when they won the League. Nothing wrong with being a glory-hunting fan, of course. There are (at the moment) thousands of Chelsea fans with exactly the same feelings.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 27 Jan 2016 21:58

Nameless
Longhorn1970
Chelsea/Royal I see the team trying harder as a unit. I see more positivity from the manager, he changes things when they need changing ( although why he bothers with Piazon is beyond me ).

Gunter is getting forward more, HRK is putting in a shift, and I like the way he is helping Vydra, positive reinforcement.

We had none of that with SC, the man that went 5 at the back against Bolton remember!

short memory you have. Quinn and McShane on record saying players let SC down. BM may throw numbers forward when we are getting dicked by average opposition, but he seems unable to defend a lead hence 8 from 21.

So he says the players are trying harder under Brian and you counter that by saying they didn't try hard enough under Clarke ?
And also criticise him for something that has barely happened !
I'd criticise Brian for not getting uncompetitive in the first 20 minutes of games but praise him for sorting the issue out. Heneedstofind a way to make sure welly from the start though, we'd significantly higher up the table if we weren't chasing games too often.

its simple we get a foot in the game before bombing forward like a school team ..

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 27 Jan 2016 22:21

Is it too controversial to say that managers now have little influence over anything?

Professional footballers are - in the main - glove-wearing, cosseted, sulking, pout-faced, over-coiffured, weak-kneed, sleeve-tattooed sops (babies) who appear to need their egos rubbed to some kind of semi-rigidity at any moment and who are kept in states of semi-arousal by the foetid stench of the agent rent-boys that keep wanking them into the part of the market where they can be swapped around like the fagging prossers they have become.

Money has (absolutely) corrupted the professional game in this country.

I can barely be bothered to say anything further - because it's like a rant-loop in my head.

Personally, I am impressed with Brian's return to the club.

But it's nothing do with the modern game.

He would have thrived in the 60s and 70s when the state of the game today could never have been imagined.

A motivator of men...rather than pouves.

Before the whore-loop of Murdoch and his vein-sucking, fixture-fucking, 'super' Sundaying, squarial bullshit raped a sport that was quite enjoyable - keeping the shit-feeders that now squirm around its various points of excretion like the single cell vermin they are away from 'grounds' that have now become 'stadia'.

Welcome back Brian. Man out of an era. Probably like a few old cunter fans such as myself.

Anyway, fuck off modern football.

Cheers.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Jan 2016 22:40

Going Saturday Ian ?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 27 Jan 2016 22:44

I can't keep away...

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Jan 2016 23:36

Ian Herring I can't keep away...

One of the few nobbers loved by all

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Jan 2016 23:41

Ian Herring Is it too controversial to say that managers now have little influence over anything?

Professional footballers are - in the main - glove-wearing, cosseted, sulking, pout-faced, over-coiffured, weak-kneed, sleeve-tattooed sops (babies) who appear to need their egos rubbed to some kind of semi-rigidity at any moment and who are kept in states of semi-arousal by the foetid stench of the agent rent-boys that keep wanking them into the part of the market where they can be swapped around like the fagging prossers they have become.

I can barely be bothered to say anything further - because it's like a rant-loop in my head.

He would have thrived in the 60s and 70s when the state of the game today could never have been imagined.

Before the whore-loop of Murdoch and his vein-sucking, fixture-fucking, 'super' Sundaying, squarial bullshit raped a sport that was quite enjoyable - keeping the shit-feeders that now squirm around its various points of excretion like the single cell vermin they are away from 'grounds' that have now become 'stadia'.

Welcome back Brian. Man out of an era. Probably like a few old cunter fans such as myself.

Cheers.

Have you thought about applying for the stadium announcers job Herring?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 28 Jan 2016 05:29

leon
Ian Herring Is it too controversial to say that managers now have little influence over anything?

Cheers.

Have you thought about applying for the stadium announcers job Herring?

I think it would be a different match day 'experience' for all if I did, Leon.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Jan 2016 08:55

It's not Brian's fault or even the players. It's the fans. Most of the people on here watch football on highlights shows. The few that go to games spend most of it making up songs or swearing at players or booing if their team doesn't score in the opening 3 minutes to distract themselves from how long the game is.

People want instant reward. Brian is "shit" because we aren't top of the league after him being in charge for half an hour.

The reality is that since he was sacked we have had two managers over 3 years who have failed to get our team playing. That tells smart folk its not an easy task which can be completed in a few weeks.

We have had a constantly changing backline of inexperienced youth and inflated ego.

We've had ownership in turmoil then finding its feet.

We've had our best players constantly sold off at the whiff of a profit.

We've got a team filled with tempory loan players who have no longevity or real investment in the club.

We've had a tiny budget to work with and have suffered from some awful acquisitions.

We've got a squad of players who have zero confidence and whose quality has only been there on paper.

We've suffered an injury epidemic and have had no luck with consistency in terms of team selection.

We are competing in an unpredictable, inconsistent league against unpredictable, inconsistent teams.

It's not an easy task. It won't happen in 6-7 games. It might not happen for months. It might not happen this season.

Time is the only right answer. Consistency in manager is the only way out. People have to stop expecting our middling little club with a heap of problems to turn into world champions overnight. The only sure thing is that Brian is a good manager, has been good for us in the past and is only one of two this century that has enjoyed any kind of success. Forget dreaming about a bigger, better manager who is going to have us playing like Barcelona. We are Reading. There is only so much we can do, in a certain space of time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Jan 2016 10:26

I take it you're not a fan of $ky either (real deal Ian) Herring?

Think you should bomb the broadsheets letters pages with that that ditty of yours.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jan 2016 10:36

There's no doubt that football has been changing for the worse over the last 10-15 years, but the short termism and knee-jerk reaction to obstacles along the way are a society thing. It's not exclusive to football.

McDermott coming back has brought us a little bit of soul back. But it won't last, we can't and won't be a outsider to the rest of the world of money chasing, PR spinning consumerism that is modern football.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Jan 2016 11:44

"So you've supported Reading since 1955. Bravo, well done you, supporting your local team!! I suppose you just jumped on the Liverpool bandwagon in (I'm guessing) 1962 when they were promoted to Div 1. Or maybe you didn't support them until 1964 when they won the League. Nothing wrong with being a glory-hunting fan, of course. There are (at the moment) thousands of Chelsea fans with exactly the same feelings".

The above is what Hampshire Royal posted in response to one of my Victor Meldrew posts earlier.
I made the point to sandman about my support for RFC as he seemed to think I am a Liverpool fan.
The 61 years of supporting Reading (well done HR for doing the maths and taking that back to 1955) was a factual statement made to show that I have followed Reading for a few years and therefore entitled IMHO to use the term "my club".
The sarcastic "Bravo" is rather childish as it was clearly a point made not in the guise of "look at me" but to establish that I might use the expression "my club".

Although it is f*** all to do with Hampshire Royal I have always been interested in Liverpool football club through family links and nothing to do with "glory-hunting" and even if it was it has nothing to do with a person trolling (I think that is the right word).
The only time that HR seems to post is in response to anything that I write so if that is "trolling" then so be it but I would have thought that at his age he could find better things to do or if posting on this website actually come up with something to add to the discussion just for a change.

Sorry to bore the rest of you with this but the poster seems to have a hang up about me which is frankly pathetic.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 28 Jan 2016 11:47

Extended-Phenotype It's not Brian's fault or even the players. It's the fans. Most of the people on here watch football on highlights shows. The few that go to games spend most of it making up songs or swearing at players or booing if their team doesn't score in the opening 3 minutes to distract themselves from how long the game is.

People want instant reward. Brian is "shit" because we aren't top of the league after him being in charge for half an hour.

The reality is that since he was sacked we have had two managers over 3 years who have failed to get our team playing. That tells smart folk its not an easy task which can be completed in a few weeks.

We have had a constantly changing backline of inexperienced youth and inflated ego.

We've got a team filled with tempory loan players who have no longevity or real investment in the club.

We've had a tiny budget to work with and have suffered from some awful acquisitions.

We've got a squad of players who have zero confidence and whose quality has only been there on paper.

We've suffered an injury epidemic and have had no luck with consistency in terms of team selection.

We are competing in an unpredictable, inconsistent league against unpredictable, inconsistent teams.

It's not an easy task. It won't happen in 6-7 games. It might not happen for months. It might not happen this season.

Time is the only right answer. Consistency in manager is the only way out. People have to stop expecting our middling little club with a heap of problems to turn into world champions overnight. The only sure thing is that Brian is a good manager, has been good for us in the past and is only one of two this century that has enjoyed any kind of success. Forget dreaming about a bigger, better manager who is going to have us playing like Barcelona. We are Reading. There is only so much we can do, in a certain space of time.

+1

Good Post would only question the following statement....

" We've got a squad of players who have zero confidence and whose quality has only been there on paper"

....certainly their confidence has drained away rather too quickly on occasions but the squad is not devoid of talent.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Jan 2016 14:04

BR2 "So you've supported Reading since 1955. Bravo, well done you, supporting your local team!! I suppose you just jumped on the Liverpool bandwagon in (I'm guessing) 1962 when they were promoted to Div 1. Or maybe you didn't support them until 1964 when they won the League. Nothing wrong with being a glory-hunting fan, of course. There are (at the moment) thousands of Chelsea fans with exactly the same feelings".

The above is what Hampshire Royal posted in response to one of my Victor Meldrew posts earlier.
I made the point to sandman about my support for RFC as he seemed to think I am a Liverpool fan.
The 61 years of supporting Reading (well done HR for doing the maths and taking that back to 1955) was a factual statement made to show that I have followed Reading for a few years and therefore entitled IMHO to use the term "my club".
The sarcastic "Bravo" is rather childish as it was clearly a point made not in the guise of "look at me" but to establish that I might use the expression "my club".

Although it is f*** all to do with Hampshire Royal I have always been interested in Liverpool football club through family links and nothing to do with "glory-hunting" and even if it was it has nothing to do with a person trolling (I think that is the right word).
The only time that HR seems to post is in response to anything that I write so if that is "trolling" then so be it but I would have thought that at his age he could find better things to do or if posting on this website actually come up with something to add to the discussion just for a change.

Sorry to bore the rest of you with this but the poster seems to have a hang up about me which is frankly pathetic.

I'm a bit confused. Why are you posting as two different people?

And why not use the quote function?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 28 Jan 2016 14:26

I very rarely post on this forum these days, to be honest. I only really look at the matchday threads (when I'm not at games) and BFTG threads Both of those have good and bad posts made by good and bad posters. There are also some reasonably funny posts, which make it worth doing!!

I have far too little time on my hands to 'troll' people with multi-user names, or with single user name for that matter.

Esteban

by Esteban » 28 Jan 2016 14:44

Extended-Phenotype It's not Brian's fault or even the players. It's the fans. Most of the people on here watch football on highlights shows. The few that go to games spend most of it making up songs or swearing at players or booing if their team doesn't score in the opening 3 minutes to distract themselves from how long the game is.

Amen to that!

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Jan 2016 15:28

Leon,
Quite simple really on both counts.
There is no quote facility on my office machine (this is in deepest Hampshire where things are a bit behind).
The two user names are because one is at the office (BR2) and the other is on my home computer (no i-pad for me) where I am Victor Meldrew in deepest Dorset where things are even more behind.
Any other questions?
The weather?
The meaning of life?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Jan 2016 15:30

BR2 Leon,
Quite simple really on both counts.
There is no quote facility on my office machine (this is in deepest Hampshire where things are a bit behind).
The two user names are because one is at the office (BR2) and the other is on my home computer (no i-pad for me) where I am Victor Meldrew in deepest Dorset where things are even more behind.
Any other questions?
The weather?
The meaning of life?

What happened to the first BR? :wink:

2058 posts