How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2016 00:14

Lower West
Ian Royal
Snowball
Not sure. Adkins? Clarke?

Must have been Clarke. Oh well.

*Glum face*

Shoulda stuck with the dour Scots git.

Don't recall a charge up the table.

Whoosh.

leon Double whoosh probably on its way but I think he's talking about Brian's last tenure

No Whoosh

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 22 Feb 2016 08:38

More than happy with Brian. We have retrieved our identity.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 22 Feb 2016 09:24

Hoop Blah
KC Royal Didn't Ingimarsson help Wolves win promotion to the Prem? Maybe a bigger signing than I thought at the time.

No, I think he played more games on loan with relegated Brighton than promoted Wolves that season.

Ah, I suddenly thought after posting that that he may have played for Coppell at Brighton but wasn't sure how long he was there for.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Feb 2016 10:47

I see passion and team spirit on the pitch - The very things we were missing and the very things Brian said he needed to instill. I think we are moving in the right direction. The trouncing of West Brom will be something to inspire both the players and the fans and hopefully have a positive effect on our league performances.

Hector in midfield could be an inspired decision, particularly when you think we are a team with few central defensive options and a large number of central midfielders.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Feb 2016 22:10

Forbury Lion I see passion and team spirit on the pitch - The very things we were missing and the very things Brian said he needed to instill. I think we are moving in the right direction. The trouncing of West Brom will be something to inspire both the players and the fans and hopefully have a positive effect on our league performances.

Hector in midfield could be an inspired decision, particularly when you think we are a team with few central defensive options and a large number of central midfielders.

Brian can't take the credit for Hector in midfield though

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 22 Feb 2016 22:29

bcubed
Forbury Lion I see passion and team spirit on the pitch - The very things we were missing and the very things Brian said he needed to instill. I think we are moving in the right direction. The trouncing of West Brom will be something to inspire both the players and the fans and hopefully have a positive effect on our league performances.

Was team selection by "names out of the hat"?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2016 22:52

harry
bcubed

I think the point might be that he's played there under Adkins, possibly Clarke and on loan at Aberdeen (?) previously, so it's hardly a inspiring revelation putting him in midfield.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Feb 2016 23:06

Ian Royal
harry
bcubed Brian can't take the credit for Hector in midfield though

I think the point might be that he's played there under Adkins, possibly Clarke and on loan at Aberdeen (?) previously, so it's hardly a inspiring revelation putting him in midfield.

Indeed and most recently Kuhl v Hull

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Feb 2016 12:29

We were tactically excellent on Saturday againt a team who will be playing Premier League football again next season. Well done to Brian and his staff. Not quite the 'muppet' some people on here were labelling you eh :roll:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Feb 2016 12:34

bcubed
Ian Royal
harry

Indeed and most recently Kuhl v Hull

I seem to recall losing that game once he had to move to right-back.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 23 Feb 2016 14:57

Just before the third goal I noticed that both Piazon and John were both busting a gut to get back and both wanted to get stuck in. We actually looked like a squad that really wanted to work for each other.

Vydra, HRK & Al-Habsi all look like they have a new lease of life under McDermott. Even Gunter is starting to look more confident and trying to go past people in the final third.

People slate McDermott's tactics a lot of the time, but his man management skills are incredible. He seems to get the best out of almost everyone.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Feb 2016 15:46

and his tactics have been resolutely non-long ball this time round.

hes a pragmatic manager who doesn't stick to one way of playing, but instead bases his style of play on the strengths of his squad.
hoorah for that

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Feb 2016 16:21

Maneki Neko and his tactics have been resolutely non-long ball this time round.

hes a pragmatic manager who doesn't stick to one way of playing, but instead bases his style of play on the strengths of his squad.
hoorah for that

Mostly plus one. Though we'll see if he starts turning the team more direct and negative in the middle over the summer. I expect and hope not.

We've got some big changes to come again at the end of the season.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Feb 2016 16:24

I reckon the fairest criticism you could lay on McD would be that towards the end of his first stint he didn't seem to trust the team to play another way. 

But even then he's somewhat vindicated by the fact that Adkins and Clarke failed to get Reading playing consistently with a more passing style and on McD's return, with a different team, he has adopted a different style, proving it wasn't his capability that should have been scrutinised. 

We've shored things up at the back and are now capable of coming from behind and getting back into games: something we were not able to do well under either Adkins or Clarke. 

Baby steps, but positive ones and I'm sure it will continue.‎

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Feb 2016 16:44

Extended-Phenotype I reckon the fairest criticism you could lay on McD would be that towards the end of his first stint he didn't seem to trust the team to play another way. 

But even then he's somewhat vindicated by the fact that Adkins and Clarke failed to get Reading playing consistently with a more passing style and on McD's return, with a different team, he has adopted a different style, proving it wasn't his capability that should have been scrutinised. 

We've shored things up at the back and are now capable of coming from behind and getting back into games: something we were not able to do well under either Adkins or Clarke. 

I think you can safely say he didn't do a very good job in the top flight (under difficult circumstances), but in retrospect that's hardly surprising for a man with just two and a half year's management experience in professional football, all at one club.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Feb 2016 16:50

Ian Royal
Maneki Neko and his tactics have been resolutely non-long ball this time round.

hoorah for that

Mostly plus one. Though we'll see if he starts turning the team more direct and negative in the middle over the summer. I expect and hope not.

We've got some big changes to come again at the end of the season.

actually, id welcome a small reversion in that direction tbh.
I think we still try to overplay at the moment.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Feb 2016 16:52

Extended-Phenotype I reckon the fairest criticism you could lay on McD would be that towards the end of his first stint he didn't seem to trust the team to play another way. 

can add improvements in individual players to that list of baby steps
and a noticable togetherness

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Feb 2016 16:58

floyd__streete We were tactically excellent on Saturday againt a team who will be playing Premier League football again next season. Well done to Brian and his staff. Not quite the 'muppet' some people on here were labelling you eh :roll:

Well, if Brian doesn't get past Palace in the next round he won't have done as well as Clarke did in the FA Cup last season......

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Feb 2016 17:12

How many Premier League teams did Clarke beat on the way to semis last year m8?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Feb 2016 17:33

Depending on how you look at it kes, you could say Clarke fell at the first premier league team, in which case Brian is already ahead.

Probably fairer to say that if he also reaches the semi finals, he has done so against harder opposition, so maybe extra kudos.

2058 posts