How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by sandman » 28 May 2016 06:21

royalp-we
One8Seven1*
pwb I have never been impressed with McDermott, I have always thought he was lucky to get promoted last time and that showed, as we got relegated at first time of asking.

Sir John and his cronies are holding the club back, they should leave the new owners to spend their money how they want.

Whilst I agree that SJM still has too much influence, and he does; and Howe being in charge isn’t great for the club either, the Thai’s don’t have any money they’re willing to put into the football club. Charles Watts will back it up if you ask him, as he also heard that they mustered the money to buy the club, but they don’t have money to put into the club. Hence their comments about not making money in the Championship and they will sell if we can’t win promotion to the Premier League within a few years.

The REP profits wont go into the football club. That’s their money-maker. That’s their attraction here. Then they'll sell the club minus it’s most sellable asset - the land around the stadium.

Sorry 1871 but no one can actually give any facts apart from the owners themselves.

SJM most likely Had little say in sacking BMcD today - the majority of the board decided it and will fund his exit - and why do you believe everything CW spouts? IMO I thought they backed Clarke well last pre season.

Only time will tell whether they back the club half as much this year as they did last year.

They backed him with money they made from player sales. Even then they didn't buy many players, using the loan market and only paying those players wages when the they didn't play.

Clarke himself said live on SKY television that the Thai's had the money to buy it but not enough of their own cash to invest.

They've well and truly shit the bed here and they are going to have a hard time winning people back.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 May 2016 08:44

That's your opinion; I still believe we could be far worse off.

combined they must have costs millions in salary and signing on fees. Aah, McShane, Quinn, Taylor, John, Piazon, Fernandez, Vydra, Sá, Hurtdo, Kermie, Rakels I'm sure there's more. I think that's ample backing, What more were you expecting?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2016 10:53

Vydra was the only one who required a sale to go through. All the others happened before Hector went. Clarke had a vested interest to make everything look like someone else's fault and had already shown he had no integrity, so I wouldn't believe anything he says.

For now I'm going with this being a stupid decision from inexperience and an attempt to have a clean sweep and gain control, with them feeling like they've listened to Madejski's nostalgia too long.

There are certainly worrying signs, but they could be nothing. We'll have a better idea by August. Until then worrying about conspiracy theories that they've got no money and want to sell are pointless.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 May 2016 11:17

Ian Royal Vydra was the only one who required a sale to go through. All the others happened before Hector went. Clarke had a vested interest to make everything look like someone else's fault and had already shown he had no integrity, so I wouldn't believe anything he says.

For now I'm going with this being a stupid decision from inexperience and an attempt to have a clean sweep and gain control, with them feeling like they've listened to Madejski's nostalgia too long.

There are certainly worrying signs, but they could be nothing. We'll have a better idea by August. Until then worrying about conspiracy theories that they've got no money and want to sell are pointless.

Can't disagree with any of that Ian. Also good to hear on the Brian sacked thread of you backing the fans to get behind the new man, whoever that may be.

Let's just wait and see. Best to change now than at Xmas like our previous 3 men. A summer of huge decisions for RFC awaits.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 May 2016 12:48

Ian Royal Until then worrying about conspiracy theories that they've got no money and want to sell are pointless.

No conspiracy theory. Football club has to be self funding. If the plan doesn't work. Then they'll sell the club. Probably retaining the property.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 28 May 2016 13:20

Ian Royal Vydra was the only one who required a sale to go through. All the others happened before Hector went. Clarke had a vested interest to make everything look like someone else's fault and had already shown he had no integrity, so I wouldn't believe anything he says.

So Hammond speaking to WBA, Chris Davies talking to Celtic and a gooners scout talking to RFC are all fine ...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2016 13:22

Longhorn1970

So Hammond speaking to WBA, Chris Davies talking to Celtic and a gooners scout talking to RFC are all fine ...

Those would be some of the worrying signs I mentioned. None are any real evidence there's no money or the Thais want out.

Basic comprehension still your problem I see.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 28 May 2016 13:24

Ian Royal
Longhorn1970

Those would be some of the worrying signs I mentioned. None are any real evidence there's no money or the Thais want out.

Basic comprehension still your problem I see.

Selective memory yours clearly ..

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 May 2016 17:21

Longhorn1970 Selective memory yours clearly ..

Hark at Yoda over here.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 29 May 2016 21:14

paultheroyal Talk of sacking McDermott is totally nonsense.

I understand McDermott has convinced the owners he inherited an absolute mess and the club footballing side is pretty rotten. Rotten through bad signings and loan players.

Brian has identified characters that need to be released, who needs to come in with budget permitting and that his management style and track record will bring about stability and success again.

Club have already announced youth is the way forward. Brian has those credentials and will clearly be given time to take his proposals forward.

He ain't going anywhere. Enjoy your summer.

Hmmm..,

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 May 2016 00:36

:lol:

I see PauLOL the ROFLoyaLOL's sources came through again, how's Norwood enjoying that Player of the Season award?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 30 May 2016 13:58

sandman
royalp-we
One8Seven1*
Whilst I agree that SJM still has too much influence, and he does; and Howe being in charge isn’t great for the club either, the Thai’s don’t have any money they’re willing to put into the football club. Charles Watts will back it up if you ask him, as he also heard that they mustered the money to buy the club, but they don’t have money to put into the club. Hence their comments about not making money in the Championship and they will sell if we can’t win promotion to the Premier League within a few years.

The REP profits wont go into the football club. That’s their money-maker. That’s their attraction here. Then they'll sell the club minus it’s most sellable asset - the land around the stadium.

Sorry 1871 but no one can actually give any facts apart from the owners themselves.

SJM most likely Had little say in sacking BMcD today - the majority of the board decided it and will fund his exit - and why do you believe everything CW spouts? IMO I thought they backed Clarke well last pre season.

Only time will tell whether they back the club half as much this year as they did last year.

They backed him with money they made from player sales. Even then they didn't buy many players, using the loan market and only paying those players wages when the they didn't play.

Clarke himself said live on SKY television that the Thai's had the money to buy it but not enough of their own cash to invest.

They've well and truly shit the bed here and they are going to have a hard time winning people back.

You've made a lot of good points lately Sandman and what you've said above and previously about the intentions of our Thai owners is extremely worrying. The evidence that you've late out is indisputable and is extremely worrying.

I can't see Howe staying around for much longer either. If and when Howe goes the alarm bells should be ringing right across Reading.

The Thais are not creating a sense of togetherness across the club.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 May 2016 17:48

Howe leaving won't be the most worrying thing, partly because it's inevitable when you consider his length of service and the change in ownership. It might not be this season, but he'll surely leave within the next couple of years.

He's had a lot of stick but, like Hammond, has played a big part in the most successful period the club has ever seen so he can't have done a bad job.

What matters is Thais getting in someone who is capable and who they trust and will listen to.

Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it will be a concern if that change brings in the wrong kind of people and ethos to the club.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jun 2016 21:34

Hoop Blah Howe leaving won't be the most worrying thing, partly because it's inevitable when you consider his length of service and the change in ownership. It might not be this season, but he'll surely leave within the next couple of years.

He's had a lot of stick but, like Hammond, has played a big part in the most successful period the club has ever seen so he can't have done a bad job.

What matters is Thais getting in someone who is capable and who they trust and will listen to.

Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it will be a concern if that change brings in the wrong kind of people and ethos to the club.

It's looking highly likely that Jaap Stam is going to get the nod. He doesn't have Brian's track record, he's never been tested as a manager. It is a high risk appointment. At least Jaap has played in England and he is a tough nut.

The question is, in an environment where there is no money to spend can he judge which players will be good enough to compete and achieve success at Championship level. Brian could. But can Stam?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jun 2016 21:36

No, but he can probably bully them

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Jun 2016 23:27

Brian Treverden (or whatever his name is), Stam and/or Grant

all share a lack of knowledge of the Championship

Even if there is money, it won't be shed-loads so the buying would have to be very canny

On that basis none of these make much sense

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jun 2016 10:20

sandman They backed him with money they made from player sales. Even then they didn't buy many players, using the loan market and only paying those players wages when the they didn't play.
Which I suspect resulted in McDermott being forced to play the loan players for as long as possible.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jun 2016 10:22

Top Flight It's looking highly likely that Jaap Stam is going to get the nod. He doesn't have Brian's track record, he's never been tested as a manager. It is a high risk appointment. At least Jaap has played in England and he is a tough nut.

The question is, in an environment where there is no money to spend can he judge which players will be good enough to compete and achieve success at Championship level. Brian could. But can Stam?
I assume he will be smart enough to appoint an assistant manager who can help fill the experience gap.

2058 posts