BFTG - Huddersfield

225 posts
Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 09:33

tidus_mi2 I don't get how it can be perceived as not a foul and red card, Vydra was running towards goal with no defenders ahead of him, that is an easy example of Denial of Goal Scoring Opportunity.

defenders being ahead of him or not is not the deciding criteria

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 09:34

Looked to us like he was running away from goal with two players covering. As I said, I've only seen it live and not the replays, so I could be wrong, but our initial reaction was we got lucky.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Jan 2016 09:36

Jano Looked to us like he was running away from goal with two players covering. As I said, I've only seen it live and not the replays, so I could be wrong, but our initial reaction was we got lucky.

He was running towards the goal. His slight turn away from goal was the shimmy (because he had the ball under control) that caused the defender to foul him rather than knock the ball away.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2016 09:36

Winston Smith
tidus_mi2 I don't get how it can be perceived as not a foul and red card, Vydra was running towards goal with no defenders ahead of him, that is an easy example of Denial of Goal Scoring Opportunity.

That wasn't what I said was it?

Running towards goal, defenders to his side and clear space in front, it would have been a clear goal scoring opportunity. How did you see the incident that makes it not a red card?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2016 09:38

An utterly appalling and totally unacceptable 20-25 minutes of football to start with from Reading, then a ref actually applying the correct interpretation of the laws let us back into the game and Reading deservedly won by playing the 10 men the right way by pulling and stretching them this way and that.

Well done on Vydra for his hat trick, at last delivering. Definitely man of the match and hopefully flowing with confidence for Saturday.

Let's hope that last night puts some belief and confidence back into the team and that we can play with more of the tempo and high pressing that we showed after getting back into the game on Saturday rather than resuming normal service.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 09:41

tidus_mi2
Winston Smith

That wasn't what I said was it?

yes, yes that is exactly what you said. In fact it couldn't have been more what you said. I have even put it in bold in case you have eyesight problems

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 09:47

It looked to us like the defender was forcing him wide before the foul, he certainly wasn't running directly towards the goal. I'm not saying it wasn't denying a goalscoring opportunity, but I'm not sure it was totally clear cut.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 09:51

A good result masked a really poor start, which will really need to be looked at. High pressing and tempo will work against a lot of Championship teams.

Cooper looked good - the mistake for the first goal was a bit crap but he's learning and will just deal with it next time. Otherwise he was solid and plays the ball out from the back with so much class. Ferdinand also looked assured. I liked the way they came out of defence in the second half to attack the ball from goal kicks - that really put us on the front foot on a couple of occasions.

Al-Habsi was superb - he couldn't do much about either goal but he rescued us with the one-on-one and made some top saves. His communication was also excellent and I think he is benefiting from being the outright number one since Brian came back in.

The midfield were decent once they settled in and I'm glad Vydra got a hat-trick - he has so much ability and he hasn't let his head drop when he's not been scoring, which helped with all three goals. Great work-rate as well.

I'm also really glad Alex got a goal, and again looked decent and tidy in possession. He's a good player and one I hope gets a proper chance, as he seems to really want to do well here. All the players went to congratulate him as well, so he seems to be a popular squad member.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 09:52

Jano It looked to us like the defender was forcing him wide before the foul, he certainly wasn't running directly towards the goal. I'm not saying it wasn't denying a goalscoring opportunity, but I'm not sure it was totally clear cut.

The law is specifically written with the words 'denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity'. not just a goalscoring opportunity, otherwise red cards would be dished out in every game. This is maybe where people are disagreeing here,

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2016 09:52

Extended-Phenotype
Armadillo Roadkill It could easily have not been a red card (from where I was sat, the referee might well have considered at least two Huddersfield players could have got to Vydra before he was one-on-one with their (excellent) keeper). But it was also a pretty stupid place to commit a foul, so they can't feel too aggrieved. Amazing support - hats off.

Reading were, from there on, pretty effective against ten men, and the goals went in through sheer persistence as much as anything else.

And also, whilst I'm still not getting carried away, a bit disgusted by McDermott bringing on Sa at the end. Nice gesture to give Vydra his chance of an ovation, but putting Sa on for a few seconds looks, to me at least, calculated to humiliate him. And there's no need for that.

Pretty sure that wasn't the reason but it does kinda spoil the theory that Sa couldn't be picked Saturday because he's off to Greece.

if that is aimed at me E-P you're going to get a slap down you little bitch

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2016 09:55

Winston Smith
Jano It looked to us like the defender was forcing him wide before the foul, he certainly wasn't running directly towards the goal. I'm not saying it wasn't denying a goalscoring opportunity, but I'm not sure it was totally clear cut.

The law is specifically written with the words 'denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity'. not just a goalscoring opportunity, otherwise red cards would be dished out in every game. This is maybe where people are disagreeing here,

But then how was it not an obvious goal scoring opportunity? A goal scoring opportunity can arise anywhere in or around the penalty area regardless of the amount of defending players, if Vydra hadn't been fouled he would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper, how is that not an obvious goal scoring opportunity?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Jan 2016 09:56

Winston Smith

Jesus watch the bloody replay.

No one else was else anywhere near and he had a direct run on goal.

Only person getting anywhere near him if not fouled would have the been the keeper and Vydra had the ball fully under control, that's how he drew the foul.

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 09:58

Definitely wasn't obvious. Having just watched the replay, I'd say it was even less of a sending off than I originally thought.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 20 Jan 2016 09:59

:|

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 20 Jan 2016 10:00

Reading through the match stream on their forum, they were calling for the refs head following the red, however (probably after watching replays) they eventually turn on Hogg for committing the foul. Gives a good insight as to whether it was a red or not.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 10:01

ZacNaloen
Winston Smith

Jesus watch the bloody replay.

No one else was else anywhere near and he had a direct run on goal.

Only person getting anywhere near him if not fouled would have the been the keeper and Vydra had the ball fully under control, that's how he drew the foul.

I think we should just agree to disagree here tbh.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Jan 2016 10:01

Jano Definitely wasn't obvious. Having just watched the replay, I'd say it was even less of a sending off than I originally thought.

:|

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 10:02

You're a sending off!

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 10:03

If one of our players got sent off for that I wouldn't be happy about it, that's for sure.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Jan 2016 10:05

Defenders aren't in a position to cover, Vydra has a direct run to goal.

Red card,

225 posts