BFTG - Huddersfield

225 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2016 10:09

Lwj beat me to the posting of an image but pretty much what he said, how can it not be a red card?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Jan 2016 10:10

Is it true there were more goals than fans at the game last night?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jan 2016 10:12

No Fixed Abode Is it true there were more goals than fans at the game last night?

Nope. Attendance was 8119. And there were 7 (SEVEN) goals. So not sure where you got that from.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2016 10:12

tidus_mi2 Lwj beat me to the posting of an image but pretty much what he said, how can it not be a red card?

Because we appear to have a number of Team Boarders who want Brian and therefore Reading, to fail.
Odd behaviour - but at least we know who they are.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Jan 2016 10:14

tidus_mi2
Winston Smith
Jano It looked to us like the defender was forcing him wide before the foul, he certainly wasn't running directly towards the goal. I'm not saying it wasn't denying a goalscoring opportunity, but I'm not sure it was totally clear cut.

The law is specifically written with the words 'denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity'. not just a goalscoring opportunity, otherwise red cards would be dished out in every game. This is maybe where people are disagreeing here,

But then how was it not an obvious goal scoring opportunity? A goal scoring opportunity can arise anywhere in or around the penalty area regardless of the amount of defending players, if Vydra hadn't been fouled he would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper, how is that not an obvious goal scoring opportunity?

It is but there is a breed of fan who delights in negativity about the team regardless of a result. They will ignore the evidence in front of them and stick to a negative point because it suits them. We are witnessing this phenomenum here.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Jan 2016 10:14

Blatant red card.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Jan 2016 10:15

Jano If one of our players got sent off for that I wouldn't be happy about it, that's for sure.

No, but I'll bet you are never happy when one of ours gets a red card - just like most fans.

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 10:20

Nicely timed image capture there just missing off the two defenders coming over - Vydra didn't have the ball completely under control so I think they would have at least been able to put in a challenge before he got a shot away. All I am saying is that I don't think it was a stonewall red card. It is his own fault for challenging in that position and committing a foul which is giving the referee a decision to make, but I have definitely seen those given as a foul and yellow card before.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 20 Jan 2016 10:21

Jano Nicely timed image capture there just missing off the two defenders coming over - Vydra didn't have the ball completely under control so I think they would have at least been able to put in a challenge before he got a shot away. All I am saying is that I don't think it was a stonewall red card. It is his own fault for challenging in that position and committing a foul which is giving the referee a decision to make, but I have definitely seen those given as a foul and yellow card before.

Exactly this

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 10:22

West Stand Man
Jano If one of our players got sent off for that I wouldn't be happy about it, that's for sure.

No, but I'll bet you are never happy when one of ours gets a red card - just like most fans.

I'm afraid not. There are some decisions you really can't argue with, this one in my opinion, you can. I'm more concerned that the overall result, 5-2, is covering up some pretty big cracks that were on show last night.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Jan 2016 10:22

The two defenders are are several meters away ffs, he's in a shooting position before they are on him.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 20 Jan 2016 10:25

RG30 Despite the -2 temperatures that was an excellent night's entertainment for £10. Awful start however with Cooper and Ferdinand getting torn to shreds. Cooper at fault for the first misplacing his header and the lack of clearance cost us for the second. Could and should have been 4 with Al-Habsi coming out well to Wells before nearly spilling one in the net.

Game turned on the sending-off which was slightly harsh although Piazon dispatched the resulting free-kick brilliantly. From that point you only felt there was going to be one winner with the extra man advantage and the possibility of extra-time.

Vydra took his goals excellent while Ola John was far better than McCleary who was again awful before picking up another injury.

Good night's work and a winnable fourth round game with Walsall awaits.

Agreed with all this + the person who said that last night's red card wasn't as nailed on as the foul by MK Dons' player on Saturday.

Vydra was brilliant, incredible movement all night. Norwood just behind in terms of MoTM.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jan 2016 10:26

How did Piazon and Hal play?

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 10:28

Hal did well in a few different positions, worked hard, looks like he's playing for a contract to me. Piazon took his goal well, linked up well with Vydra but got overpowered by the Huddersfield defence on several occasions. He could learn alot from Vydra's work rate in my view.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Jan 2016 10:28

Jano
West Stand Man

I'm afraid not. There are some decisions you really can't argue with, this one in my opinion, you can. I'm more concerned that the overall result, 5-2, is covering up some pretty big cracks that were on show last night.

That is a completely different discussion. This one is about the red card or had you missed that. If you want a discussion about the 'papering over' of cracks don't focus on something that is nothing to do with it as it confuses the issue. I dont think you'll find many people who disagree that all was not perfect last night and that 5-2 was a flattery (but one I am happy to take). Just as we haven't always been significantly worse than teams who cleaned us out by 5 or 6 goals (more on occasion) it would be fair to say that 5-2 did flatter us last night.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 10:30

Jano Hal did well in a few different positions, worked hard, looks like he's playing for a contract to me. Piazon took his goal well, linked up well with Vydra but got overpowered by the Huddersfield defence on several occasions. He could learn alot from Vydra's work rate in my view.

I agree with this. Although, do you think Hal is playing for a contract here or elsewhere?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jan 2016 10:30

for the red Vydra was in a similar position to where he ended up for his third (IIRC), how did that work out as a goalscoring opportunity?

Anyway, LOLz @ people's reaction to a decent victory being to try to throw some shade on it, self haters gonna self hate I guess

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2016 10:33

For me the red card was probably correct, but I can see the arguments.
Don't think the covering defenders arguement holds water, there was a player to the right but he was ambling, doubt he would have caught Vydra who is lightening quick and the ref can take that into account.
Vydra didn't have the ball under control, but it wasn't running away from him and he certainly would have controlled it.
He was heading towards goal, so no issues there. It doesn't have to be absolutely direct but if you are heading away from goal,it's not a DOCGSO.
BiG consideration for me is the intent of the defender. This wasn't a mistimed tackle, it was a deliberate foul because he had lost the man who as heading for goal. The player knew what he was doing and intended to stop Vydra getting in on goal. While other Hudds players harassed the ref Hogg walked off, he knew it was a red card.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Jan 2016 10:33

Jano Nicely timed image capture there just missing off the two defenders coming over - Vydra didn't have the ball completely under control so I think they would have at least been able to put in a challenge before he got a shot away. All I am saying is that I don't think it was a stonewall red card. It is his own fault for challenging in that position and committing a foul which is giving the referee a decision to make, but I have definitely seen those given as a foul and yellow card before.

the image capture is timed at when he was fouled! Of course the other defenders can come over later whilst Vydra is lying on the floor ffs!

You are an idiot. Good luck to your employers.

Jano

by Jano » 20 Jan 2016 10:34

MoorgateRoyal
Jano Hal did well in a few different positions, worked hard, looks like he's playing for a contract to me. Piazon took his goal well, linked up well with Vydra but got overpowered by the Huddersfield defence on several occasions. He could learn alot from Vydra's work rate in my view.

I agree with this. Although, do you think Hal is playing for a contract here or elsewhere?

Can't imagine we'll pay him enough, probably after a contract at Swansea.

225 posts