BFTG - Wednesday (H)

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Wednesday (H)

by wingnut » 23 Jan 2016 23:14

West Stand Man I can't have been at the same game as some of you. I went to see Reading vSheff Wed, and it doesn't sound like the game some of you have described.

In the first 20 minutes of the game that I watched we were outplayed by Wednesday and we conceded a horrible goal. After that initial 20 minutes we came back into the game and, though the team shape was completely wrong we slowly turned it all around. We got a deserved penalty that we didn't convert, sadly.

At half time the misshapen team was adjusted and the, previously awful, Williams found his feet once he was in his own position and able to play. For the next 45 minutes we were all over Wednesday and it would not have been unjustified if we'd won it.

Throughout the 90 minutes Norwood ran the show as usual. Obita was a refreshing return to close to his best. Gunter was MoM. HRK impressed me from start to finish. AAH did what was needed and was hardly tested, could have done nothing about the goal. Vydra was excellent, save the crucial penalty miss. Evans showed why we chased him but he is off the pace of this league and is not likely to partner Norwood in CM in my view - he is very confident on the ball and, like Norwood, is not afraid to go looking for it.

Kermogant is, at last, a proper CF. Pity he missed the header at the end but he'll score a few between now and the end of this season. Ola John has to be got ready for starting. He is a game changer.

Wrong result but at least it wasn't a defeat. It is incomprehensible that this team will need to look downwards from now on. It is unlikely, but not impossible, that we could go on a late run to the play offs. So, let's have some real entertainment from the team!

Odd you prefix your report like that since you then go on to write a report pretty damn similar to most on here - with just the lauding of Norwood at odds.

For me, yeah it was a shite start with an obviously imbalanced side and two too similar central midfielders. Norwood didn't start to look decent until Evans went off but I thought he was guilty of what Williams gets accused of a lot on here - slowing us up too much and delaying his pass.

We do need someone to start on the left though as I can't see us starting with the same side that finished the game today given Brian's comments on John's fitness.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 23:18

Anyone recording MOTD? Might be worth sending the team a video of West Ham's second goal today.

That's why you look for quick throws.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Jan 2016 23:19

wingnut
West Stand Man I can't have been at the same game as some of you. I went to see Reading vSheff Wed, and it doesn't sound like the game some of you have described.

In the first 20 minutes of the game that I watched we were outplayed by Wednesday and we conceded a horrible goal. After that initial 20 minutes we came back into the game and, though the team shape was completely wrong we slowly turned it all around. We got a deserved penalty that we didn't convert, sadly.

At half time the misshapen team was adjusted and the, previously awful, Williams found his feet once he was in his own position and able to play. For the next 45 minutes we were all over Wednesday and it would not have been unjustified if we'd won it.

Throughout the 90 minutes Norwood ran the show as usual. Obita was a refreshing return to close to his best. Gunter was MoM. HRK impressed me from start to finish. AAH did what was needed and was hardly tested, could have done nothing about the goal. Vydra was excellent, save the crucial penalty miss. Evans showed why we chased him but he is off the pace of this league and is not likely to partner Norwood in CM in my view - he is very confident on the ball and, like Norwood, is not afraid to go looking for it.

Kermogant is, at last, a proper CF. Pity he missed the header at the end but he'll score a few between now and the end of this season. Ola John has to be got ready for starting. He is a game changer.

Wrong result but at least it wasn't a defeat. It is incomprehensible that this team will need to look downwards from now on. It is unlikely, but not impossible, that we could go on a late run to the play offs. So, let's have some real entertainment from the team!

Odd you prefix your report like that since you then go on to write a report pretty damn similar to most on here - with just the lauding of Norwood at odds.

For me, yeah it was a shite start with an obviously imbalanced side and two too similar central midfielders. Norwood didn't start to look decent until Evans went off but I thought he was guilty of what Williams gets accused of a lot on here - slowing us up too much and delaying his pass.

We do need someone to start on the left though as I can't see us starting with the same side that finished the game today given Brian's comments on John's fitness.

Hopefully Quinn will be fit to play there

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2016 23:20

With respect Wingers

You sound just like the sound-bites from a BBC phone-in

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Jan 2016 23:23

Pepe the Horseman I liked the look of their right back.

You utter, utter puff

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 23 Jan 2016 23:55

AthleticoSpizz With respect Wingers

You sound just like the sound-bites from a BBC phone-in

Oof. Low blow

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Jan 2016 23:57

4-4-2 please with proper wingers.

Gunter was excellent and decent balls in.
Coopers goal makes up for his bad mistake.
Kanu best game for Reading in a long time.
Williams MOM performance and driving force in second half.
Vydra, quality. Love for him to spear our attack next season.
Evans, steady debut.

After being supportive of pa announcer, God he was irritating today.

Was it a change of ref assistant at start of game?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2016 23:59

Thought the pa man was rather subdued, understated and unimportant today Paul....otherwise agree

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jan 2016 00:45

This is correct.

Evans had a crap first touch today. Kermorgant is precisely what we've been missing. Barely lost a header and seemed to be a step ahead of everyone. I'd heard it said that he had no pace. This appears not to be the case. Other than missing the sitter at the death, I was very impressed.

HRK was excellent once he was on the right.

Williams should never play on the wing again.

Cooper is almost there. He's a little easy to push off the ball and has deer in the headlights moments when he has to make a 50/50 decision, but the lad has talent and SCORED FROM A BLOODY CORNER!!!!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2016 09:30

LUX

You utter, utter puff

He was a bit old for you, m8.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jan 2016 09:46

Turns8
genome Would just like to point out that we've lost just one game in all competitions in the last 7. Just need to stop conceding the first goal and those draws will turn into wins

Umm...think you will find we have lost 2 of the last 7 (MK & Brentford) and lost 3 of the last 8...drawing 3 (inc. the cup game) and we've only won twice (once in the cup)...5pts out of 18 in the league...hardly inspiring...

Fair enough m8, must've miscounted. It's still 1 in 6 which is a step in the right direction and as I said, if we stop giving ourselves mountains to climb I think we'll win more games. There is plenty of work to do but when you consider we lost 7 out of 9 before then it has to be seen as an improvement.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Jan 2016 09:53

I like Kermorgant already

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 24 Jan 2016 10:31

genome
Turns8
genome Would just like to point out that we've lost just one game in all competitions in the last 7. Just need to stop conceding the first goal and those draws will turn into wins

Umm...think you will find we have lost 2 of the last 7 (MK & Brentford) and lost 3 of the last 8...drawing 3 (inc. the cup game) and we've only won twice (once in the cup)...5pts out of 18 in the league...hardly inspiring...

Fair enough m8, must've miscounted. It's still 1 in 6 which is a step in the right direction and as I said, if we stop giving ourselves mountains to climb I think we'll win more games. There is plenty of work to do but when you consider we lost 7 out of 9 before then it has to be seen as an improvement.

W1 D2 L6 11-17 last 9 under previous management(s) conceding almost 2 per game
W3 D3 L3 12-10 this 9 under McDermott conceding 1.1 per game

Scored 1 more, conceded 7 less that's a good turn-round. The only way is up!

1-0 Blackburn
0-1 Wolves
1-2 Brentford
1-0 Bristol
2-2 Huddersfield
1-1 Derby
0-1 MK Dons
5-2 Huddersfield
1-1 Wednesday

I don't think we've been played off the park for 90 minutes once, and could have had a fair few
more points with an extra smidgeon of luck. If these were all league games it equates to a 61 point season

In the previous 9 (equating to a 25/26 point season)

2-4 Fulham
1-1 Brighton
2-2 Huddersfield
0-2 Cardiff
2-1 Bolton
1-3 Forest
0-1 QPR
0-1 Preston
1-2 Hull

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 24 Jan 2016 13:29

Pepe the Horseman Lol @ the humpty dumpty chants.

missed that. what was the chant?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Jan 2016 14:41

semtex1871

Heard it, but no idea what the hell it was about. Just assumed they were using the collective brain cell for a few minutes.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 Jan 2016 14:52

I've developed an irrational hatred of Gunter and Obita

Saying that though I thought Gunter did pretty well yesterday. A couple of better crosses and for once I could see some of what he brings to the team.

Obita I think suffers at times from Hectoritus. Thinking he's the worlds next best thing by trying to be all slick and classy but failing.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 24 Jan 2016 15:00

LUX

You utter, utter puff

Ola had him ..

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 25 Jan 2016 01:26

RG7Fan
semtex1871

Heard it, but no idea what the hell it was about. Just assumed they were using the collective brain cell for a few minutes.

It contained the line 'Brian McDermot, he fell of the wall'.

I particularly enjoyed the clear accent in the Gary 'ooper song.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 25 Jan 2016 01:29

bobby1413 I've developed an irrational hatred of Gunter and Obita

Saying that though I thought Gunter did pretty well yesterday. A couple of better crosses and for once I could see some of what he brings to the team.

Obita I think suffers at times from Hectoritus. Thinking he's the worlds next best thing by trying to be all slick and classy but failing.

Obita was the only Reading player to start well and fade.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jan 2016 07:20

Generally Obita is nearly as guilty as Gunter with the whole stop start shenanigans. I find it more frustrating with Obita because we know he can take players on. The first season he played at LB he was constantly terrifying defenders by making runs with the ball into the box. He did that once on Saturday, but that the first time I've seen him do it for ages.