Brian's third FA Cup QF - who do you want?

145 posts

Who do you want?

Arsenal/Hull
2%
Watford
22%
Everton
4%
Blackburn/West Ham
15%
Spurs/Palace
25%
Chelsea/Man City
4%
Shrews/Utd
29%

Total votes: 101
RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian's third FA Cup QF - who do you want?

by RG30 » 22 Feb 2016 10:15

Ties in the sixth round will take place across the weekend of 11-14 March 2016.
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/20 ... A79LCjK.99

Going on that assuming it will be spread across 4 days

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 22 Feb 2016 10:36

Arsenal are away at Barca on the 16th so that would rule them out of playing on the Monday, if they get through the replay.

United, if they get through (both tonight and the EL) will be playing on Thursday 10th so that means they would probably play on the Monday night.

Chelsea play on Wednesday 10th against PSG so would assume they'll be the late Saturday game.

Based on that I reckon it'll be..

Friday 11th/Saturday 12th (12:45) - Reading v Crystal Palace (BT Sport)
Saturday 12th - Everton v Chelsea (BBC)
Sunday 13th - Arsenal or Hull City v Watford (BT Sport)
Monday 14th - Shrewsbury Town or Manchester United v West Ham United (BBC)

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 22 Feb 2016 10:39

bobby1413
KC Royal
bobby1413 Surprised so many seem to be playing Watford - haven't we always struggled against them?

I'm assuming it will be on BT and won't be a Friday or Monday game but don't know the other slots that BT have.

Is there any reason you think this?

Just wondering as I'm eager to know as I'm working Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and may struggle to get the day off if it's on the weekend.

Just don't see the BBC picking a Championship side against someone other than the big boys, and think Everton-Chelsea or Utd will be shown on the Monday. Not 100% sure they'll even use the Friday slot. I am assuming Arsenal will beat Hull though, that may change things if they don't.

Would prefer Saturday personally, Friday night would be an absolute nightmare as couldn't make Brighton away after Sky moved it because of work and this would be even worse as i'd likely miss half the game. At least if it was on BBC (or Sky for Brighton) I could record it, or maybe watch from the start on the BBC website in the case of the cup game. If it is Saturday i'd be thankful I've already got the day booked off work, which was for the Brighton game, hadn't even thought about when the quarter-finals were! Any other weekend before Easter and I may not have been able to go.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Feb 2016 10:46

KC Royal Just don't see the BBC picking a Championship side against someone other than the big boys, and think Everton-Chelsea or Utd will be shown on the Monday. Not 100% sure they'll even use the Friday slot. I am assuming Arsenal will beat Hull though, that may change things if they don't.

BBC/BT will surely have to pick the dates/times before the replay result is known.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 22 Feb 2016 10:47

KC Royal
bobby1413
KC Royal
I'm assuming it will be on BT and won't be a Friday or Monday game but don't know the other slots that BT have.

Is there any reason you think this?

Just wondering as I'm eager to know as I'm working Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and may struggle to get the day off if it's on the weekend.

Just don't see the BBC picking a Championship side against someone other than the big boys, and think Everton-Chelsea or Utd will be shown on the Monday. Not 100% sure they'll even use the Friday slot. I am assuming Arsenal will beat Hull though, that may change things if they don't.

Would prefer Saturday personally, Friday night would be an absolute nightmare as couldn't make Brighton away after Sky moved it because of work and this would be even worse as i'd likely miss half the game. At least if it was on BBC (or Sky for Brighton) I could record it, or maybe watch from the start on the BBC website in the case of the cup game. If it is Saturday i'd be thankful I've already got the day booked off work, which was for the Brighton game, hadn't even thought about when the quarter-finals were! Any other weekend before Easter and I may not have been able to go.

They'll have to confirm the date and times before then though so they'll do it on the basis that Arsenal should win the replay.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2016 11:11

Reading Brighton's forum to see their opinions considering our game with them is now having to be rescheduled, there's an odd sense of them wanting us to beat Palace, I understand they have a rivalry with Palace but it's a bit surreal them wanting us to win considering how tinpot they think we are.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 22 Feb 2016 11:29

tidus_mi2 wrote:
Reading Brighton's forum to see their opinions considering our game with them is now having to be rescheduled, there's an odd sense of them wanting us to beat Palace, I understand they have a rivalry with Palace but it's a bit surreal them wanting us to win considering how tinpot they think we are.

Understatement of the year, tidus :lol:

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 22 Feb 2016 12:05

I think we could have a reasonable chance against Palace. We could do with their bad league run continuing for the next three games so they are possibly looking over their shoulders by the time they come to ours.

They've got West Brom and Sunderland away, and then Liverpool at home. If they lost all three that would be great news for us! If they win the two big games v West Brom and Sunderland then they would be on 38 points and virtually safe so would play a full strength side. Lose them and the bottom of the table bunches up and they could be only four points or so outside the bottom three by the time we meet.

That said we could do with six points too to avoid any relegation thoughts!

No-one will make us favourites, or really care that much about the match outside of the two clubs supporters, so a good opportunity for either club to "sneak" into an FA Cup semi final.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 22 Feb 2016 12:37

3 FA Cup 1/4 Finals in 7 years, and 1 Semi Final. Not bad at all.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Feb 2016 12:40

The Cap
tidus_mi2 wrote:

You're being kind.

Shocking from tidius there. Either he's totally clueless about football or he's deluded enough to think Brighton care more about us than they do their biggest and most hated rival. :lol:

Though I suspect both statements are true.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2016 12:52

CountryRoyal
The Cap
tidus_mi2 wrote:

You're being kind.

Shocking from tidius there. Either he's totally clueless about football or he's deluded enough to think Brighton care more about us than they do their biggest and most hated rival. :lol:

And you're a oxf*rd, what's your point?

No I didn't think they hated us more than Palace but at the same time I wouldn't have thought they'd want us to win, also I don't really give a oxf*rd about football outside Reading and England so excuse me for not knowing the extent of other clubs rivalries.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 22 Feb 2016 13:12

Whoa, can I act as peacemaker here? We've got a massive game coming up against the Palarse, so let's not dissolve into the scenes (metaphorically speaking) that we witnessed after the game last Saturday, when Albion fans were scrapping amongst themselves.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 22 Feb 2016 13:13

tidus_mi2
CountryRoyal
The Cap

You're being kind.

No I didn't think they hated us more than Palace but at the same time I wouldn't have thought they'd want us to win, also I don't really give a oxf*rd about football outside Reading and England so excuse me for not knowing the extent of other clubs rivalries.

The amount Brighton bang on about us on NSC indicates that they have a chip on their shoulder about Reading. Not sure why to be honest.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Feb 2016 14:34

tidus_mi2 No I didn't think they hated us more than Palace but at the same time I wouldn't have thought they'd want us to win, also I don't really give a oxf*rd about football outside Reading and England so excuse me for not knowing the extent of other clubs rivalries.

:shock: just :shock: Why would they want their most detested rivals to get to Wembley?

Did you know Oxford and Swindon don't get on much either?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2016 16:15

Platypuss
tidus_mi2 No I didn't think they hated us more than Palace but at the same time I wouldn't have thought they'd want us to win, also I don't really give a oxf*rd about football outside Reading and England so excuse me for not knowing the extent of other clubs rivalries.

:shock: just :shock: Why would they want their most detested rivals to get to Wembley?

Did you know Oxford and Swindon don't get on much either?

The Swindon and Oxford rivalry is a touch more recognisable as a Reading fan. I don't know anything about the Palace - Brighton rivalry and I don't really care, why does it matter?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2016 16:21

BBC get first dibs on the cup and so will pick ManU v West Ham

BT will then go for Everton v Chelsea

BBC will pick up Arsenal v Watford

And old Reading will get the Sunday or Saturday lunchtime slot on BT.

All change though if Shrewsbury pull off a miracle.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Feb 2016 16:25

tidus_mi2
CountryRoyal
The Cap

You're being kind.

My point is that, being a oxf*rd, I'm perfectly eligible to highlight your moments of retardation and ignorance - of which there are many.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2016 16:28

There certainly aren't many but go ahead and kid yourself that there are.

I don't see what is particularly wrong with not knowing the extent of the rivalry between 2 unrelated clubs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2016 16:30

Can someone remind me why it is the Barcelona of the South Coast have a heated rivalry with an (and no offence intended here, but they're hardly Arsenal, Spurs or, *shudder*, Chelsea) second rate London club?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Feb 2016 18:09

Winchester Royal
tidus_mi2
CountryRoyal
You're being kind.

The amount Brighton bang on about us on NSC indicates that they have a chip on their shoulder about Reading. Not sure why to be honest.

The chip probably appeared when we were able to persuade their best ever manager to come to Berkshire. They were also miffed when they had an offer for a player they had on loan turned down by Arsenal, but the Gooners accepted ours. Steve Coppell and Steve Sidwell were the names. Not surprising the chip is a big one!

145 posts