32%
Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 130
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Would you take Vydra permanently?

by Top Flight » 16 Apr 2016 09:46

He's getting the breaks but he is skying it over the bar. For me that is a lack of composure in front of goal which comes from a loss of confidence. The overall description is of a loss of form.

It has been going on for too long now. He clearly has class though.

I think it means he is massively reduced in value. He is worth no more than £500K. Paying more is bad business.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Apr 2016 10:03

Top Flight He's getting the breaks but he is skying it over the bar. For me that is a lack of composure in front of goal which comes from a loss of confidence. The overall description is of a loss of form.

It has been going on for too long now. He clearly has class though.

I think it means he is massively reduced in value. He is worth no more than £500K. Paying more is bad business.

No chance he will go for less than £2M, this car crash of a season included.

I don't understand McDermott's continued perseverance with him unless he thinks he will be here next season?

If not it's utterly bizzare and shows the same kind of sentimentality that aided in our relegation from the premier league.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 16 Apr 2016 10:11

I think he's playing him because he's out of options. Kermorgant and HRK are injured and Rackels has had a niggle and shown no ability to run for 90 minutes. That leaves Cox and Vydra.

With everyone fit I doubt he'd be playing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Apr 2016 10:31

Royal Ginger I think he's playing him because he's out of options. Kermorgant and HRK are injured and Rackels has had a niggle and shown no ability to run for 90 minutes. That leaves Cox and Vydra.

With everyone fit I doubt he'd be playing.

Plus none of Kermie, Rakels, Cox, and HRK are actually scoring either.

For all his flaws we tend to create more and better chances with him present. He misses them, but it causes more problems to defenders.

McDermott has few options, so he's going with the approach of backing the best player and hoping it turns around because a recovered Vydra is far better than the others. It's perfectly in character. He backs his players. He did it with Long. He'll continue to do it with others.

Too many of our fans see poor performances and believe the alternative must therefore be better because they haven't seen them fail as much. But McDermott sees them all, all week. He's in the best position to assess whether the altrrnatives are actually worse.

The season has been over for a month. Yes finishing well would be a great help, but there really is nothing here to get upset about and starting causing discontent.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Apr 2016 11:41

I see Vydra has got around 15 more yes votes since the thread was bumped after the Boro game.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Apr 2016 11:43

£500k is bullshit.

He is a very good player at Championship level and will come good eventually.

Composure and confidence in front of goal are fragile attributes and can be elusive at times. He is still quite young and when those attributes return to his game / head he will start banging in them again, whichever club he is at.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Apr 2016 12:10

Agree £2mill in today's market would be excellent deal ...

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 16 Apr 2016 12:41

It would help if the oxf*rd around me who shout rubbish and get him off could be punched in the face !
I dont know the stats but if someone does it would be interesting to see conversion rates of shots to goal for the front men in the team. No one is particularly good and the supposed £2m loan fee is not Vydra's fault. He is human like the rest of them (except Rackels, not sure looking at him).
Next time he misses how about giving him a large round of applause for at least making the chance instead of screaming at him that he is " Fcuking Useless" you idiots that do it.
I get just as frustrated and angry at times but i have never and would never shout abuse to a Reading player..

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 16 Apr 2016 13:11

If we were in a position to take Vydra on a permanent basis, at a decent fee, it would be a massive leap of faith by the club. There's no doubting his effort and touch on the ball and, whilst everyone's aware that his confidence, in front of goal, is absolutely shot at the mo', it would seem that Brian sees the potential. Undoubtedly, in the right team, he'll come good again and regain his former scoring ability. The sixty-four billion dollar question is, with the changes that we're looking to make in the summer, could we just be that team?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Apr 2016 08:59

sandman Right now there are too many who are stuck in the automatic mode of defending Vydra no matter how useless he is. In a few months when he's gone those defending him will admit that it was a bad move and he was dreadful for us. That's not happening at the moment because his supporters just don't want to be wrong despite his very obvious shortcomings.

Somebody give this man the manager's job

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Apr 2016 09:16

who plays instead?

if the answer is rakels- hes just getting back from injury
the rest are injured
the other option is to play cox his own, but I would much prefer the two of them, personally

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 21 Apr 2016 11:45

he is a human bean

can you say the same thing?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Apr 2016 13:00

sandman Right now there are too many who are stuck in the automatic mode of defending Vydra no matter how useless he is. In a few months when he's gone those defending him will admit that it was a bad move and he was dreadful for us. That's not happening at the moment because his supporters just don't want to be wrong despite his very obvious shortcomings.

Sad times indeed when the most sense being spoken on this thread is by Sandman.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Apr 2016 13:31

His supporters understand that he hasn't played well and after he has left we will all reflect that it was a bad signing for the club.
However, while he is here and giving his all for the cause his supporters support him and will him to do well. His supporters defend him from over the top criticism.
He deserves to be criticised equally with all the other players that have not performed this season.
Some have singled Vydra out and given him flack which has been way over the top and not right or justified.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Apr 2016 13:35

I'm supporting him because he's been our best striker since November. That's not saying very much at all but he's the only one who provides any excitement (except the rarely-seen Rakels). He's been utter cack in front of goal for the last six-eight weeks and he hasn't looked like a £2m player, but every second he's on the pitch is one I don't have to spend watching Cox or Kermogant.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Apr 2016 13:58

I agree. I feel that we can win when Vydra is on the pitch. I feel less so when it's Cox, Rakels and Kermorgant.

Did you see Kermorgant's Cantona-esque back flick that put Rakels in for a left foot volley at the Hull goal the other night? Kermorgant does have his moments of class. But he certainly hasn't looked more likely to score than Vydra this season.

Maybe you decided to stay away on Tuesday night with nothing left to play for. I don't blame you.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Apr 2016 14:37

On a free transfer = Yes
For £1m = Yes, depending on total transfer funds available

137 posts