Back from the game - Palace

270 posts
glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: Back from the game - Palace

by glass half full » 11 Mar 2016 23:03

Today's setback notwithstanding, Cooper has a great future as a Reading player.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Mar 2016 23:04

I don't understand why we didn't start Vydra, this was our only competition left to play for this season. I'd rather start him for 60 mins than bring him on for half hour not being able to get into the game.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2016 23:07

Bugger. I thought we'd done more than enough to get a draw, but you can't argue Palace didn't create a load of chances and dominate.

I thought the ref was good on the whole, but was soft in their favour too much. The pen was soft as oxf*rd and he was never getting the ball, but Cooper gave him a little tug anyway and let the Lino make a decision.

Al-Habsi - 9 great game.
Gunter 8 defended like a champion forward passing still poor
Obita 7 run ragged and poor in possession but did enough
Cooper 5 some stupid lunges and tugs
McShane 8 rock solid
Hector 9 great game again
Norwood 7 great apart from dire set plays
Quinn 8 endless energy
John 7 did all the hard stuff then didn't produce the end ball, still neatly scored
HRK 9 another good game
Cox 8 did well without threatening, always going to be feeding on scraps.

Vydra 7 some nice touches and pace
Williams 6 not much time and looked a little off the game speed
Rakels barely on.

Palace look in trouble. Nothing more than mediocre apart from a couple of fancy dans who'll spend half a season hiding. better than West Brom though.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 11 Mar 2016 23:12

^^^ Crikey Ian, you saw Hector and Norwood's performances very differently from me

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 11 Mar 2016 23:20

I thought we looked sloppy at times and off the pace. We needed big performances all round, and only got them from a handful of players. It wasn't a matter of Palace performing particularly well, but we didn't really do much to try to win the game. Soft penalty, the inevitable second to rub salt in the wounds, and another season to largely forget.

It's occasions like this we go to football for, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this result. Disappointing, but all rather predictable.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Mar 2016 23:23

I said elsewhere that Palace's front 4 could rip any defence apart on their day. Maybe they didn't rip Reading apart too much but they were a handful. Fair result as I thought Reading looked slow, clumsy and predictable. Did not do enough to warrant anything out of the game. Al-Habsi was outstanding and deserved the accolades at the end of the game.

Can someone please explain HRK? He has to be the slowest winger in the history of the game.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2016 23:24

John Madejski's Wallet ^^^ Crikey Ian, you saw Hector and Norwood's performances very differently from me

Yeah, maybe I'm generous there because Palace obviously caused us probelms, but I thought they defended well and didn't cost us with the odd get in trouble moment.

I was more focused on Cooper - who I thought had half a dozen really dodgy moments and John who seemed to stop and run out of ideas uncharacteristically

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 11 Mar 2016 23:33

Tactically retarded. Why bring Vydra on if you're just going to pump 40 yard balls at him?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Mar 2016 23:37

Thought Cox was very good tonight. Would like to see him get a fair crack in the last few games to see if he can save his Reading career.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Mar 2016 23:51

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=159034

Compliments from a Palace fan on the support

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Mar 2016 00:02

It's been a long time since I've been that angry at the football.

First thing is first it was a fair result, make no mistake Palace deserved to win. Al-Habsi made so many incredible saves and they had a tonne of chances and opportunities which should have seen the game dead and buried at half time.

HOWEVER... The way we went out was so unjust. The softest, most bullshit penalty that has ever been given, even more so considering the circumstances. I don't like to blame referees but Mike Dean never had a foothold in the game, was shocking throughout.

That was the most disappointing thing, the other was the fact that beyond Al-Habsi we were pretty oxf*rd shit and deserved to lose. Palace were the best draw to get, were there for the taking and represented our best chance of getting to Wembley, and everyone knew it. It was nervy from us and we were, on many occasions "almost there", unfortunately we fluffed our lines and weren't good enough.

That was probably our most defensive set up and we were carved open time and time again. Ever since the 30th minute (probably less) we were crying out for 2 up top. So much wasted possession in the opposition third because there was no support.

I truly fcuking hate Palace now. For all the "palace fans are great" bollocks they were shit. Sang once all game before they scored and quite frankly they don't deserve it. I truly fcuking hope they go down the shitty pcunty faggoty "ultra" wvnkers.

Absolutey gutted tonight, truly gutted purely because of how we lost.

Oh well, onto next season.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Mar 2016 00:03

Extended-Phenotype Fcuk off ''can't argue''

Palace were out of ideas and on the backfoot until the ref gleefully leapt at his chance to gift them a penalty that would never have been given vice versa.

Bullshit result. They had nothing and needed a poor decision to make their mark.

We were looking like the better team and could have nicked it had the ref not shit himself that the premier league club could be knocked out by nobody Reading.

Woeful stuff.

Agreed, palace were hardly battering us. At 85 mins they looked short of ideas.

To say we deserved to lose Is bullshit. Get a grip.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 12 Mar 2016 00:07

Winchester Royal I thought we looked sloppy at times and off the pace. We needed big performances all round, and only got them from a handful of players. It wasn't a matter of Palace performing particularly well, but we didn't really do much to try to win the game. Soft penalty, the inevitable second to rub salt in the wounds, and another season to largely forget.

It's occasions like this we go to football for, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this result. Disappointing, but all rather predictable.

Agree with this. Apart from John's golden chance, we offered very little. AL Habsi was excellent and John, McShane and HRK above average but apart from that, nothing to remark upon. Obita was poor, Cooper and Hector naive. This is a very average Reading team. They have done well to reach the QFs and earn the club some cash but the quality of the football is poor and fans are starting to vote with their feet. The club is in decline and I can't see it improving much under McDermott. Sorry, Brian.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Mar 2016 00:07

CountryRoyal It's been a long time since I've been that angry at the football.

First thing is first it was a fair result, make no mistake Palace deserved to win. Al-Habsi made so many incredible saves and they had a tonne of chances and opportunities which should have seen the game dead and buried at half time.

HOWEVER... The way we went out was so unjust. The softest, most bullshit penalty that has ever been given, even more so considering the circumstances. I don't like to blame referees but Mike Dean never had a foothold in the game, was shocking throughout.

That was the most disappointing thing, the other was the fact that beyond Al-Habsi we were pretty oxf*rd shit and deserved to lose. Palace were the best draw to get, were there for the taking and represented our best chance of getting to Wembley, and everyone knew it. It was nervy from us and we were, on many occasions "almost there", unfortunately we fluffed our lines and weren't good enough.

That was probably our most defensive set up and we were carved open time and time again. Ever since the 30th minute (probably less) we were crying out for 2 up top. So much wasted possession in the opposition third because there was no support.

I truly fcuking hate Palace now. For all the "palace fans are great" bollocks they were shit. Sang once all game before they scored and quite frankly they don't deserve it. I truly fcuking hope they go down the shitty pcunty faggoty "ultra" wvnkers.

Absolutey gutted tonight, truly gutted purely because of how we lost.

Oh well, onto next season.

No they didn't have a tonne of chances. And frankly even if they had after 85 mins if they hadn't scored after all of those they didn't deserve it. Shit penalty decided it.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2016 00:08

Defensively excellent until Cooper was sent off, midfield and attack awful. Thought we were rubbish and played too much hoof ball. We play so much better on the floor.

Cox and Cooper starting over Rakels/Piazon and Ferdinand. McDermott has to take the full blame for this defeat. I think bringing him back was a mistake. If hes still manager in a years time il eat my hat.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2016 00:09

I don't think we deserved to lose, but Palace probably deserved to win the match.

I think that makes sense. Well, I know what I mean

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Mar 2016 00:09

M Brook
Winchester Royal I thought we looked sloppy at times and off the pace. We needed big performances all round, and only got them from a handful of players. It wasn't a matter of Palace performing particularly well, but we didn't really do much to try to win the game. Soft penalty, the inevitable second to rub salt in the wounds, and another season to largely forget.

Agree with this. Apart from John's golden chance, we offered very little. AL Habsi was excellent and John, McShane and HRK above average but apart from that, nothing to remark upon. Obita was poor, Cooper and Hector naive. This is a very average Reading team. They have done well to reach the QFs and earn the club some cash but the quality of the football is poor and fans are starting to vote with their feet. The club is in decline and I can't see it improving much under McDermott. Sorry, Brian.

Oh just fcuk off m brook. You've always struck me as a bit of a dullard.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2016 00:12

Our goalkeeper motm

One shot on target ...and a brilliant save from Hennesy, pretty much sums it up

A penalty and sending off that shouldn't have been.....their second goal irrelevant

That is all

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Mar 2016 00:14

Miles better than Tuesday. However, cannot argue with the result. Palace were the better team. Gunter and Obita did really well to stop as many Palace crosses as they did, but were constantly being put under pressure by Hector and Norwood pissing around in central midfield. Sadly we had too many average performances and a ref who clearly loves the PL sides. McShane and Al-Habsi were our best players, but Cox deserves a mention for his excellent work as the lone striker. Despite the loss, I really enjoyed the game and really do feel this team is moving a more positive direction now that Brian is starting to settle back in.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 12 Mar 2016 00:14

The litany of appealing refereeing decisions actually did influence the outcome - Zaha should have been sent off for throwing a punch and if that was a penalty, I'm Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

But, clearly, they were the better team - Zaha, Bolasie and Adebayor were simply outstanding. I can't remember too many better examples of attacking play - all high speed, great movement off the ball, dribbling and execution. - Adebayor's first time pass for the second goal was nothing less than sublime.

Most telling they hardly misplaced a pass all night. Every corner and free kick was dangerous. Football as a sport often narrows the gap between teams of very different quality, and so it was tonight - we could somehow have nicked it, with outstanding work from Al Habsi and last ditch defending kept us in it right to the end.

Norwood needs to be relieved of dead ball responsibilities. John and Cox were terrific, as was Quinn. HRK had a poor game by his standards.

We now, as it were, move on. Realistically to next season, as this one is over.

270 posts