Back from the game - Palace

270 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Palace

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Mar 2016 20:33

All yesterday showed that we need to get with the times and bring in the use of video replays to aid decisions, thankfully it seems Infantino may well be going that way.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Mar 2016 20:33

Tony Le Mesmer Standing up to applaud a sent off player from the pitch. If you were one of the thousands that did this, I'd love to know the thought process behind it. It's completely beyond me.

Was anyone sitting down to start with?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Mar 2016 20:35

WAZZOCK
Winchester Royal Seems a sensible rule to me.

I'm just struggling to see the significant advantage Reading are perceived to have gained from Yann playing one of his few games of the season for Bournemouth in a 3rd round tie against Birmingham.

That would be the same "unfair advantage" that we get from being able to play him in league games, which nobody at all seems bothered about.

Quite who it's unfair to is beyond me.

The rule was brought in with good intentions I imagine to stop extreme cases where a club signs a load of decent players with a view to 'buying' the cup.

I'm sure it dates back to the amateur days, when a club would otherwise have been able to borrow players from teams that had already been knocked out.

Things have moved on a bit since then, and it serves absolutely useful purpose now.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 12 Mar 2016 20:36

Ian Royal HRK 9 another good game

What the fcuk? It's lovely for you that that you can finally justifiably claim he's playing well, and boy you've had to be patient, but this is just fcuking idiotic.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 12 Mar 2016 22:51

tmesis
WAZZOCK
Winchester Royal Seems a sensible rule to me.

I'm just struggling to see the significant advantage Reading are perceived to have gained from Yann playing one of his few games of the season for Bournemouth in a 3rd round tie against Birmingham.

That would be the same "unfair advantage" that we get from being able to play him in league games, which nobody at all seems bothered about.

Quite who it's unfair to is beyond me.

The rule was brought in with good intentions I imagine to stop extreme cases where a club signs a load of decent players with a view to 'buying' the cup.

I'm sure it dates back to the amateur days, when a club would otherwise have been able to borrow players from teams that had already been knocked out.

Things have moved on a bit since then, and it serves absolutely useful purpose now.

Sorry, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Mar 2016 00:38

WAZZOCK Sorry, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Agreeing.

I can see why it made sense in the 1870s, but I can't see a single way that it would be unfair for us to have had George Evans as a sub on Friday, just because he played for Walsall in an earlier round.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 13 Mar 2016 10:21

If you look closely, you will see that Hector was acting as peacemaker.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 13 Mar 2016 10:39

If that crap head Dean thought it was obstruction shouldn't have been a straight red ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2016 11:34

Westwood52 If that crap head Dean thought it was obstruction shouldn't have been a straight red ?

It wasn't even remotely a clear goalscoring opportunity, so no.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 13 Mar 2016 12:07

Disappointed the pen was given but all players dive, including ours. We have had our fair share of dodgy pens and bad officiating over the years (phantom goal anyone?)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2016 14:35

Winston Smith Disappointed the pen was given but all players dive, including ours. We have had our fair share of dodgy pens and bad officiating over the years (phantom goal anyone?)

Yeah, don't blame the ref having to make a snap shot decision, blame the defender for putting his arm out and giving him a decision to make. Not that Cooper needs vilifying or anything. It's gutting, but we should take it on the chin and move on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Mar 2016 14:56

I find it hard to liken the phantom goal to a dive or a soft penalty because not one of our players appealed for a goal, the ref just decided to give it.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Mar 2016 15:40

Hendo I find it hard to liken the phantom goal to a dive or a soft penalty because not one of our players appealed for a goal, the ref just decided to give it.

I'd just like to see a directive from FIFA or the FA saying that contact alone doesn't make it a penalty, even if the player falls down. They should only give it if, in their opinion, it caused the player to fall.

For balance they should also be instructed to give penalties when the contact is enough to make the player stumble, even if he stays on his feet.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 Mar 2016 17:48

tidus_mi2 All yesterday showed that we need to get with the times and bring in the use of video replays to aid decisions, thankfully it seems Infantino may well be going that way.

Which decision was in doubt then ?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Mar 2016 17:57

Longhorn1970
tidus_mi2 All yesterday showed that we need to get with the times and bring in the use of video replays to aid decisions, thankfully it seems Infantino may well be going that way.

The penalty...

It doesn't even matter whether people think it was a penalty or not, it's the fact that it is a key decision that gave Crystal Palace a goal scoring opportunity and reduced us to 10 men, the game is stopped anyway so any decision as crucial as that should be reviewed.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 Mar 2016 18:17

tidus_mi2
Longhorn1970

The penalty...

It doesn't even matter whether people think it was a penalty or not, it's the fact that it is a key decision that gave Crystal Palace a goal scoring opportunity and reduced us to 10 men, the game is stopped anyway so any decision as crucial as that should be reviewed.

If it was Vydra who was taken out in their box it would be a pen right ? ..

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 13 Mar 2016 18:35

Enjoyed the game Friday night.

Reminded me of a top of the table Championship clash the type you'd see around November/December.

When Reading got the ball on the ground we looked good, quick-fire passing and making Palace chase.

Thought Palace were a real handful going forward, but nothing much above average elsewhere.

Usual story in cup games where the league status of one club is lower than the other - then you really have got to take your chances when they come.

Palace? Would have been looking for a replay if it hadn't been for that risible penalty decision. Yes, the defender made some ( very minimal) contact, but the flailing to the floor with a toddler's howl of a grimace evident on the face of the falling party was standard fare from 'professional' footballers these days (including our own at times) as was Dean's depressing, robotic response. He never really had control of the game - too frenetic for him - and at one time I spotted him swivelling his head around like he'd just had his handbag snatched in a shopping centre. Not up to scratch.

Nice to see Pardew back. He - as someone else here has said - has always been respectful about and to the club since leaving. He was responsible for a big push forward for RFC and I'll always look upon his part in the club's journey with fondness. Not a bad geezer at all.

Palace fans? Don't understand the 'Ultras' bollox at all. Not what I saw on the trainful of 'em I walked into when travelling into the 'Ding on Friday evening. Loads of fat old blokes and slightly more 'boys' in standard hoolie clothing on a train reeking beautifully of drink. Jacamo meets Stone Island - but certainly no fashionable nifty gear backed up with crash helmets and sticks. Got talking to some of them and they were okay - just fans.

I like these cup games. They are far less passive than the league and the atmosphere improves because of that.

Despite the loss, a very enjoyable night.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Mar 2016 19:35

leon
CountryRoyal It's been a long time since I've been that angry at the football.

First thing is first it was a fair result, make no mistake Palace deserved to win. Al-Habsi made so many incredible saves and they had a tonne of chances and opportunities which should have seen the game dead and buried at half time.

HOWEVER... The way we went out was so unjust. The softest, most bullshit penalty that has ever been given, even more so considering the circumstances. I don't like to blame referees but Mike Dean never had a foothold in the game, was shocking throughout.

That was the most disappointing thing, the other was the fact that beyond Al-Habsi we were pretty oxf*rd shit and deserved to lose. Palace were the best draw to get, were there for the taking and represented our best chance of getting to Wembley, and everyone knew it. It was nervy from us and we were, on many occasions "almost there", unfortunately we fluffed our lines and weren't good enough.

That was probably our most defensive set up and we were carved open time and time again. Ever since the 30th minute (probably less) we were crying out for 2 up top. So much wasted possession in the opposition third because there was no support.

I truly fcuking hate Palace now. For all the "palace fans are great" bollocks they were shit. Sang once all game before they scored and quite frankly they don't deserve it. I truly fcuking hope they go down the shitty pcunty faggoty "ultra" wvnkers.

Absolutey gutted tonight, truly gutted purely because of how we lost.

Oh well, onto next season.

No they didn't have a tonne of chances. And frankly even if they had after 85 mins if they hadn't scored after all of those they didn't deserve it. Shit penalty decided it.

:lol:

Have you not seen the stats or game? Another thread where Leon embarrasses himself with this and other frothing at the mouth replies.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2016 19:51

Shots and corners =\= good chances

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2016 19:55

No Fixed Abode
leon
CountryRoyal It's been a long time since I've been that angry at the football.

First thing is first it was a fair result, make no mistake Palace deserved to win. Al-Habsi made so many incredible saves and they had a tonne of chances and opportunities which should have seen the game dead and buried at half time.

HOWEVER... The way we went out was so unjust. The softest, most bullshit penalty that has ever been given, even more so considering the circumstances. I don't like to blame referees but Mike Dean never had a foothold in the game, was shocking throughout.

That was the most disappointing thing, the other was the fact that beyond Al-Habsi we were pretty oxf*rd shit and deserved to lose. Palace were the best draw to get, were there for the taking and represented our best chance of getting to Wembley, and everyone knew it. It was nervy from us and we were, on many occasions "almost there", unfortunately we fluffed our lines and weren't good enough.

That was probably our most defensive set up and we were carved open time and time again. Ever since the 30th minute (probably less) we were crying out for 2 up top. So much wasted possession in the opposition third because there was no support.

I truly fcuking hate Palace now. For all the "palace fans are great" bollocks they were shit. Sang once all game before they scored and quite frankly they don't deserve it. I truly fcuking hope they go down the shitty pcunty faggoty "ultra" wvnkers.

Absolutey gutted tonight, truly gutted purely because of how we lost.

Oh well, onto next season.

No they didn't have a tonne of chances. And frankly even if they had after 85 mins if they hadn't scored after all of those they didn't deserve it. Shit penalty decided it.

:lol:

Have you not seen the stats or game? Another thread where Leon embarrasses himself with this and other frothing at the mouth replies.

Please stop following me about the board Kes. I've told you before I'm not gay and I'm really not interested.

Try longhorn1970.

270 posts