It it worth buying a sesaon ticket for 2016/7

191 posts
fred sharpes nose

It it worth buying a sesaon ticket for 2016/7

by fred sharpes nose » 10 Apr 2016 01:33

Supporter since the stone age, fortunate enough to be able to afford season ticket. Is it worth it next year ? Well this year for various reasons (including boredom with turgid dross served up) I will have missed 7 of 23 league games - so economically hardly worth getting one

Most of the games I have been to I've only gone because I have a ticket. The total lack of excitement and competition - for promotion or avoiding relegation is a major factor - when was the last time you seriously looked out for other teams results and did the mental calcs to see what might happen. The games are not even enjoyable as an observable event - tedious and dull. Same old players as well - no youngsters being broken in, just the same old tired pros and journeymen,

Mid table is what we are and where we deserve to be. Likely to be more of the same next year, not good enough to go up too good to go down

So why get a season ticket - there will be plenty of space next year so no worries about no getting in and if by a miracle we are doing something special take the 1/2 season deal in January

Next year our squad looks like this (ignore the kids etc ) - 8 of 15 have only one year at the club - do they care about the club ? Do I care enough anymore - more of a disturbing question?

At the moment that list tells me one thing - I think i'm out. Massive summer for the club - but I don't splashing the cash and more of the same high turnover is a good thing. Where do the Royals go from here?

1 Al Habsi contracted
2 Bond contracted
3 Obita contracted
4 McShane contracted
5 Cooper contracted
6 Gunter contracted
7 McCleary contracted
8 Williams D contracted
9 Norwood contracted
10 Quinn contracted
11 George Evans contracted
12 Tsishbola contracted
13 Yann Kermogant contracted
14 Debis Rakells contracted
15 Hurtado contracted but trying to offload
HRK contract expired
Cox contract expired
Ferdinand contract expired
Fernandez loan expires
John loan expires
Taylor A loan expires
Hector loan expires
Vydra loan expires
Piazon loan expires

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: It it worth buying a sesaon ticket for 2016/7

by bobby1413 » 10 Apr 2016 04:15

I always think those who ask this question are being overly dramatic.

It's human nature after a long shitty season (again) to question commuting again to the next season.

But things change in the summer and ever year those who say they won't renew usually do.

I will renew because I love being a season ticket holder. Also I generally enjoy the games, there was a period under SC where I hated coming. I also like the entertainment (I'm serious - don't laugh!). I say they in regards to a game - win or lose - where it's a lively match with fouls, penalty, decent atmosphere etc...

So yea I will renew

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 10 Apr 2016 07:15

Yeah I'll renew. As people have said we've been through far worse times than this!

I'm oxf*rd off with BMcD for not making a big enough impression on this group yet - and I think he should shoulder a lot of the blame for yday - but I'll give him time yet.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 10 Apr 2016 08:21

I have only been a fan for 15 years, sometimes with season ticket some not. This has probably been the most disappointing of those season's for me, not least because we had such a promising start. However I also recognise that I have been lucky enough to follow the club during its most successful time ever. This is the first of those season's when we have got to this stage with nothing left to play for - we have to a certain extent been spoilt by our own success.

I will be back next year......... probably :wink:

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 10 Apr 2016 09:33

Another big summer to rebuild the squad - hasn't that happened 3 times in the last 4 years? What makes you think this time will be any different?

Until those at the top in control of transfers and continuity step aside we'll be in exactly the same position next season regardless of who the manager is.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 10 Apr 2016 09:39

It's modern football. I bet if you look at most Championship clubs there's a lot with players with one year left on their contracts. Many players now only get two year deals, for the sake of financial prudence.

While there are downsides, I also see upsides. It allows you to get rid of players who aren't doing it for you (Cox springs to mind), and it means there are plenty of free transfers around in the summer to sign up.

I will probably wait until the last day of renewals, but a season ticket still represents decent value if you plan on going to more games than you miss, especially if you have kids. I do expect tickets to go up a bit this year, perhaps £20 or so. But it is still pretty cheap

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 10 Apr 2016 11:33

Supporter for a very long time.

Last 4 seasons have been largely miserable and boring. Couple of stats - 28 wins out of 86 League home games; in 30 of these 86 games Reading failed to score.

Hard to recall times when else we've had 4 'bad' seasons in a row. Maybe 1988-92 (end of Branfoot / Porterfield / start of McGhee)? Maybe 1979-83?

Hard to think next season will be any better. Don't blame McD particularly - his hands are tied (no pun intendo).

Will still get a ST - more for the club's benefit than my own. We will rise again. One day!

Delboy

by Delboy » 10 Apr 2016 11:39

I have been a season ticket holder for 40 years, if you do not support in the bad times, the good will never return !

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Apr 2016 11:45

Fox Talbot Supporter for a very long time.

Last 4 seasons have been largely miserable and boring. Couple of stats - 28 wins out of 86 League home games; in 30 of these 86 games Reading failed to score.

Hard to recall times when else we've had 4 'bad' seasons in a row. Maybe 1988-92 (end of Branfoot / Porterfield / start of McGhee)? Maybe 1979-83?

Hard to think next season will be any better. Don't blame McD particularly - his hands are tied (no pun intendo).

Will still get a ST - more for the club's benefit than my own. We will rise again. One day!

79 could hardly be called bad, 4th Division champions. Record for not conceding a goal.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Apr 2016 12:39

£375 for a season ticket which covers me and my son.

Father and son time. Watching the sport and team that we love. Enjoying good facilities. Enjoying the highs and lows of following our great club. Enjoying the team develop again and live in hope we can produce another miracle season.

Yep, you bet I will be renewing. For those not, cheerio.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2016 13:00

I think I've got at least one more season of disappointment in me. I have faith in McDermott and the club in general. I've also not bothered with a fair few games this season for various reasons.

It would mightily piss me off to not renew and for us to then have a great season.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 10 Apr 2016 13:37

Had the exact same issue last year. Due to other commitments I ended up paying about £35 a game and decided financially it was a no-brainer and did not renew. To be completely honest I'm shocked to say that I don't enjoy it the way I did when I was younger. I used to be one of these people who poured scorn on people for booing or leaving early and didn't get why so many of my friends decided to stop going over the years, but I finally get it. You get your x factor style hype music and other artificial atmosphere crap, then most weeks 90 minutes of boredom ensues. The atmosphere gets worse and worse every year, a lot of new fans just turn up and don't get involved in actually vocally supporting the team and I find myself just really unenthusiastic about watching sanitised live football at the madejski, cricket matches have more atmosphere now. Will probably still go to a few away games a year though but nothing like as many as used to. I bought a bundle of four tickets at the end of 2015 and it genuinely felt like a chore to have to use them. Sorry folks just the way I feel about it.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 10 Apr 2016 14:38

Always will renew, the guy next to me was saying at the end of last season he prob wont bother next season. He hasnt missed one home game this season even cups :lol: You will feel different come the end of july I bet 8)

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 10 Apr 2016 16:01

eleventh earl of mar
Fox Talbot Supporter for a very long time.

79 could hardly be called bad, 4th Division champions. Record for not conceding a goal.

Not talking about 1978-79, obviously. To spell it out : 1979-80, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1982-83 = four seasons.

msmivie

by msmivie » 10 Apr 2016 16:17

Would you renew because you had been entertained and enjoyed this season? NO
Would you renew because you thought it might be better next year? NO
So, why might you renew? HABIT!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Apr 2016 16:29

Think I'll renew as i'm a fan of Reading Football Club. If you want to dismiss that as 'habit' then knock yourself out.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Apr 2016 16:32

msmivie Would you renew because you had been entertained and enjoyed this season? NO

Exactly this, although price increases might just be the final straw that I need to crack this awful habit (potentially mixing metaphors)!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2016 16:33

msmivie Would you renew because you had been entertained and enjoyed this season? NO

Why wouldn't I think it might be better next year?

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 10 Apr 2016 17:01

paultheroyal £375 for a season ticket which covers me and my son.

Father and son time. Watching the sport and team that we love. Enjoying good facilities. Enjoying the highs and lows of following our great club. Enjoying the team develop again and live in hope we can produce another miracle season.

Yep, you bet I will be renewing. For those not, cheerio.

Spot on !
Memories are made of it and it gets me out of the house for half a day.
Love it although I'm a newcomer to the ways of the mad stad.

EverHopeful

by EverHopeful » 10 Apr 2016 17:38

yes, who cares. get bored for 90 mins but spend 2 hours in pub beforehand and 2 hours after. just think could have to go shopping with the wife every other Saturday - £375 a bargain over a season. Saves me money without a doubt!

191 posts