Sack The Manager... REALLY?!

191 posts
Crux

Has any Reading manager survived

by Crux » 20 Apr 2016 08:06

6 defeats in a row at this level or the one below?

Not that I agree with it but I think it's a big week and a half for Brian.

Personally I would let him have the summer and into October but who knows how trigger happy the owners will be if we lose heavily on Saturday then fail to get anything against Preston at home.

Worrying times.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sack The Manager... REALLY?!

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Apr 2016 08:29

Who cares? Is anybody even watching at the moment?

Next season is where it counts. IF Brian is given financial backing and has a chance to put a team back together yet still fails to put points on the board by Xmas, THEN we worry.

But for now? oh no, a team of players who are shit, aren't going to be here and don't give a fcuk cos some sad looking Scot filled it with temps and assholes has lost another meaningless game! Quick, kill everyone at my office with a gun and and then turn it on myself!

You wish.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Apr 2016 11:01

What happens if we lost the next three games without scoring a goal? Might he go?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Apr 2016 11:26

What people forget and probably the owner will forget is that this is a very different squad to the one McDermott left years ago, He probably has his hands tied with loan agreements and it is a sad state of affairs when the manager can not decide his own squad because of this. He has inherited a squad of players that tbh half of which most of us wouldn't want. It is a big job to sort out and I still think Brian is the right guy to do it. there will be hopefully minimal loans next year. I would rather spend the next 3 years in mid table obscurity with Brian building something the Reading way with youth and whatever we can get on free transfers or gems for low fees. Lets be the underdog again that suprises everyone once in a while. and for the glory hunters whose only mind set is being in the premier league oxford off.
Next season I would like to see
Al Habsi
Gunter
Taylor
Obita
Mcshane
Ferdinand
Cooper
Mccleary
Fosu
Stacey
Norwood
Quinn
Tshibola
Evans
Rakkels
Cox
Kermorgant
Samuel
and the rest can Oxford off as well, these are the only players that seem to want to play for us and not have an agenda behind it and anyone that is brought in will need to fit that mould. Brian is also the one to do that.
So in answer to questions above I would rather we lost the next 4 games and forgot about this season. Let Brian do his thing and start to look forward to next season. If we kept all of the list above as well realistically we would only need to sign 4-5 players in the summer.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Apr 2016 12:06

I wasn't happy with Brian's reappointment but now that he's back he should be allowed time to build his own team. I just hope that he can do it.

Chris Hughton's position at Brighton last season was similar and look how he has changed around their fortunes this season.

Having said that if we lose our last 3 games, I believe that BM will be sacked.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Apr 2016 12:54

Extended-Phenotype Who cares? Is anybody even watching at the moment?

Next season is where it counts. IF Brian is given financial backing and has a chance to put a team back together yet still fails to put points on the board by Xmas, THEN we worry.

But for now? oh no, a team of players who are shit, aren't going to be here and don't give a fcuk cos some sad looking Scot filled it with temps and assholes has lost another meaningless game! Quick, kill everyone at my office with a gun and and then turn it on myself!

You wish.

+1

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2016 15:18

What I want is for the Thais to come out before the end of the season and say something about the football side. Preferably that Brian is safe and will have the summer to rebuild and will be backed by them to get the side to the PL.

Since the sing song and drowned out speech at the Leeds home game they've said nothing and all we've had is them pushing Royal Elm Park like there's no tomorrow. Given the lack of anything from them no wonder we are like we are at the moment, the players probably think if board don't care why should we.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 15:26

Ive no interest in hearing from them tbh.
The club runs without the ir weekly input.
Just cos jmw was talking alit when he was owner doesnt mean anyone else will/should

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 20 Apr 2016 15:33

Maneki Neko Ive no interest in hearing from them tbh.
The club runs without the ir weekly input.
Just cos jmw was talking alit when he was owner doesnt mean anyone else will/should

Of course they should come out and say something just to reassure the fans.

We have no idea what their intentions are. I want to hear them say that they are serious about helping Brian build a team that can challenge next year. Of course the problem with saying that is that they then have to back up those words with some actions and put their money where their mouth is.

If they are not going to back Brian financially, then they should lay down some kind of long-term strategy and explain how they will take the team forward on the cheap. We as fans want to know what the plan is so that we can buy into it.

John Madejski kept good lines of communication with the fans and we bought into his vision. Sometimes there were times when he was talking about pushing for promotion but the money put down didn't seem to equate with the language of promotion. Alot of fans got frustrated and accused the Mad Man of talking a good game but not really delivering one financially. But he did deliver in the end through a long-term building up the club strategy.

The club has totally lost it's way since Madejski sold his stake. I'd like to hear the Thai's talk about some sort of strategy and re-assure that they will support Brian with time, patience and a little bit of money so that he can make things happen. Just don't go scouting for players though. Let Brian do that himself.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Apr 2016 15:35

blythspartan if we lose our last 3 games, I believe that BM will be sacked.

John Smith What happens if we lost the next three games without scoring a goal? Might he go?

Anyone else have an opinion here?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 20 Apr 2016 15:43

John Smith

John Smith What happens if we lost the next three games without scoring a goal? Might he go?

I'm not saying I agree BUT if we were to loose our next three games without scoring a goal, AND someone like Nigel Pearson was fluttering his eyelashes at the powers-that-be, then yes, I think there is a possibility they would sack Brian.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Apr 2016 16:36

I hope we don't

Hardly given Bri a proper go yet. Let's not become one of those clubs. I mean, we already have in a way (Brian, Adkins, Clarke - all went a bit easy for my liking) but lets not make it worse by sacking someone who hasn't had the chance to clear the chaff and become unburdened by the hoist of loan players who are coming to the end of their contracts and don't give a fcuk.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 17:06

if they sack brian before next season, I wont be renewing.

the club is already a basket case, lets not go full on leeds, I have no interest in following that sort of club

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Apr 2016 17:33

Top Flight We have no idea what their intentions are.

Pretty obvious. The redevelopment of the area surrounding the ground will generate additional revenue to support the football club. The support base of the club needs to built up. So that expansion of the ground becomes viable. The top premiership clubs will all soon have 60k plus capacity at the grounds. Financially the Thai's aren't going to fund the difference out of their own pockets. The Thai's are in for the long term.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Apr 2016 18:36

Maneki Neko if they sack brian before next season, I wont be renewing.

the club is already a basket case, lets not go full on leeds, I have no interest in following that sort of club

+1 to that.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Apr 2016 19:49

John Smith

Maybe. But it'd be very short sighted.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2016 19:53

What do people want the owners to say?
"We've had a bad season. The two managers we had haven't done as well as we would have hoped. We will stick with Brian, because there has been a marked improvement in our style of play. Unfortunately we haven't had the good results we wanted. But don't worry, all you Reading fans, we will give Brian Squillions of quid to spend as he sees fit and build a squad that will play the way he wants."

What a good idea!! Immediately the price of players we are interested in will increase exponentially.

Personally, I don't particularly want to hear the owners say anything other than the usual platitudes.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 20 Apr 2016 20:50

Maneki Neko if they sack brian before next season, I wont be renewing.

Welcome to the modern game ...

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 20:58

Lower West
Top Flight We have no idea what their intentions are.

Pretty obvious. The redevelopment of the area surrounding the ground will generate additional revenue to support the football club. The support base of the club needs to built up. So that expansion of the ground becomes viable. The top premiership clubs will all soon have 60k plus capacity at the grounds. Financially the Thai's aren't going to fund the difference out of their own pockets. The Thai's are in for the long term.
is there any evidence of them being willing to throw development profit into the football team?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Apr 2016 21:00

Hampshire Royal What do people want the owners to say?
"We've had a bad season. The two managers we had haven't done as well as we would have hoped. We will stick with Brian, because there has been a marked improvement in our style of play. Unfortunately we haven't had the good results we wanted. But don't worry, all you Reading fans, we will give Brian Squillions of quid to spend as he sees fit and build a squad that will play the way he wants."

What a good idea!! Immediately the price of players we are interested in will increase exponentially.

Personally, I don't particularly want to hear the owners say anything other than the usual platitudes.

Yep. Also have no interest in following a club that lives beyond its means on owner donations.

Just tell brian his budget and let him get on with it

191 posts