Worried Supporters.

141 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worried Supporters.

by Top Flight » 04 May 2016 11:07

Yes Chelsea boy...

I spoke to a cleaner yesterday who supports Chelsea. He told me Chelsea should never have fired Mourinho. He's not going to watch Chelsea ever again.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 May 2016 11:26

Top Flight Yes Chelsea boy...

I spoke to a cleaner yesterday who supports Chelsea. He told me Chelsea should never have fired Mourinho. He's not going to watch Chelsea ever again.

You're doing a gr8 job of ignoring my posts :lol:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 May 2016 12:20

Not at all worried.

If we are on the decline and end up in the lower leagues for a while so be it. I pay my entrance fee and if I feel that the players have given their all and provided some entertainment, I don't care what league we are in.

I believe that we have created a bit of history in recent years and that sooner or later someone will realise the potential of the club and be prepared to put some investment into it. Reading is a major town close to London and I am sure that must carry some weight.

Much rather support Reading than a team like Arsenal or Man United. The ups and the downs are what make supporting your home town/local club so great.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 May 2016 12:59

blythspartan Not at all worried.

If we are on the decline and end up in the lower leagues for a while so be it. I pay my entrance fee and if I feel that the players have given their all and provided some entertainment, I don't care what league we are in.

I believe that we have created a bit of history in recent years and that sooner or later someone will realise the potential of the club and be prepared to put some investment into it. Reading is a major town close to London and I am sure that must carry some weight.

Much rather support Reading than a team like Arsenal or Man United. The ups and the downs are what make supporting your home town/local club so great.

Good man. Proper Reading supporter!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 May 2016 14:03

Just a couple of points on Top Flight's postings (so many, saying the same old thing time and time again).
You quote Brian's track record but
(a) failed to mention that he got us relegated
(b) treat getting to Cup quarter-finals as a big deal when we only enter the competition at the 3rd round stage, most of the teams we beat to get there were from a lower level and we lost all of them.
Under Clarke we at least won one and ran the eventual winners quite close in the semi-final.

The other point that you keep on making is about the South bank massive and how players such as our current ones would have been slated.
I'm not sure that is the case-IIRC it was more about folk heroes such as Gilksey ,Parky and Dylan Kerr rather than players being slated.
Also the South Bank only really became a stronghold for the more vociferous support when full segregation came in.
Prior to that vociferous support was fairly well scattered around the ground and I can remember being a young supporter keen to be in the Town end before moving on as a family man and parent to the Tilehurst end.
My point is that the South Bank was only like a Y26 for a fairly short period of time.

Finally could you now please stop posting that Brian will definitely get it right and that non-relegation next year is acceptable and a success-it's boring and I'm not totally convinced that he will still be our manager..

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 May 2016 14:22

Victor Meldrew J
(b) treat getting to Cup quarter-finals as a big deal when we only enter the competition at the 3rd round stage, most of the teams we beat to get there were from a lower level and we lost all of them.

It's not hard to work out that any championship team going past the last 32 is overachieving

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 May 2016 14:31

Victor Meldrew
Finally could you now please stop posting that Brian will definitely get it right and that non-relegation next year is acceptable and a success-it's boring and I'm not totally convinced that he will still be our manager..

Sorry.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 May 2016 15:05

Victor Meldrew Just a couple of points on Top Flight's postings (so many, saying the same old thing time and time again).
You quote Brian's track record but
(a) failed to mention that he got us relegated
Under Clarke we at least won one and ran the eventual winners quite close in the semi-final.

The other point that you keep on making is about the South bank massive and how players such as our current ones would have been slated.
I'm not sure that is the case-IIRC it was more about folk heroes such as Gilksey ,Parky and Dylan Kerr rather than players being slated.
Also the South Bank only really became a stronghold for the more vociferous support when full segregation came in.
Prior to that vociferous support was fairly well scattered around the ground and I can remember being a young supporter keen to be in the Town end before moving on as a family man and parent to the Tilehurst end.
My point is that the South Bank was only like a Y26 for a fairly short period of time.

Falls down on the first point.

RoyalCrisp

by RoyalCrisp » 04 May 2016 16:49

Top Flight
Top Flight
RoyalCrisp
... but we have been really poor for the last 2 years bar the first 3 months of this season. I wouldn't say we're miles better than the relegated sides, couldn't score in 180 against MK. There's only so many years you can be this poor and rely on an even worse bottom three, would look at Villa and Charlton this season. It gets you eventually.

We have another squad exodus to deal with this summer, and a manager who I don't think anyone is convinced will last long next season. For that reason I don't expect the Thais to back him the way they did Clarke, given how that worked out. They seem to have huge control over transfer policy, which seems to be the reason Hammond has upped sticks. Feel like we'll end up with a raft of European second division signings like Charlton, like a cheaper version of last summer (we were really balled over by the like of Sa, Fernandez, John, and Hurtado weren't we?). If their expensive signings were flops, I worry what we're in for when the window opens this time around. Coupled with a disallusioned fanbase, a dire matchday atmosphere and a squad devoid of confidence, you'll forgive me if I don't accept your statement that we're 'miles better off' than the rest.

Speak for yourself mate. i and many others are totally convinced that Brian is the right man for the job. He enjoys huge support from the majority of Reading supporters.

If we want to get our identity back then we need to support Brian. Appointing people like Adkins and Clarke takes us further and further away from the 'Reading Way'.

Brian will sort us out. We should be optimistic for next season. We had far too many players this season with far too many of them temps and players nearing the end of their contracts. Mismanagement from Clarke, Hammond, Howe and the Thais put us in that miserable situation. We had too many players that simply didn't care and didn't have the right character for RFC.

We need a huge clearout and a much smaller, leaner, tight knit group who will all be involved and bought into the vision. A small group of players on longer deals who will fight for each other.

just look at our Centre Midfield department. We had/have: Williams, Norwood, Fernandez, Quinn, Tish, Evans, Kuhl.... Isn't that far too many. Isn't Clarke an idiot for bringing in Fernandez? We clearly didn't need him.

We need to sell a few of those, get a smaller squad, just like we had in our 106 season and then fight....

I don't thinK brian necessarily needs a huge amount of backing from the Thais. the reason we got Brian in was because he can build a good side without spending huge money. Brian has an amazing ability to find those Kevin Doyles and Shane Longs.

Just have some faith. This is not the end of the world. The club and Brian just need our support at the moment. moaning is futile.

I'm not speaking for myself, I'd hope he would be given time here, I'm saying it for the owners. We're on our third manager in less than 2 years. At the first sign of trouble next year, it seems their only solution to any problem at the club is to sack the manager, no doubt satisfying many fans who only see success in football as something which has to be instant. Also Clarke didn't bring in the like of Fernandez, Sa, Hurtado, it's fairly clear now these were owners signings, just like Rakels in January, which is another reason why McDermott's standing will be weakened. His power at the club is substantially limited compared to the last time he was here. I just don't see him lasting.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 May 2016 18:11

Victor Meldrew (a) failed to mention that he got us relegated

He was sacked before. What followed was even worse. Peterborough still ranks as the worst performance by a Reading team I've ever seen. None of this seasons performances come even close to that night.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 May 2016 18:16

No Fixed Abode Spoke to the Reading supporting Parcel force driver last night. "BM was the wrong appointment". "I'm not going to another game until he's gone".

"Even when he got us promoted - the football was abysmal"

Sounds like someone I know with the initials CJ.... am I right? Fairly short, skinhead, stocky/weighty! mid forties?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 May 2016 18:50

Mr Optimist
No Fixed Abode Spoke to the Reading supporting Parcel force driver last night. "BM was the wrong appointment". "I'm not going to another game until he's gone".

Sounds like someone I know with the initials CJ.... am I right? Fairly short, skinhead, stocky/weighty! mid forties?

I'm not sure he had a skinhead as I could see some grey hair poking out the side of his Reading Baseball cap. But the rest of the description is correct. He said something about getting a missus fairly recently.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 May 2016 18:57

Top Flight
Ian Royal
Top Flight What did Cooper do wrong against Preston anyway? He wasn't at fault for their goals. Was it Coopers slip that let in Beckford but Al Habsi saved when he tried to lift it over him?

He may not have been the one that made a mistake leading directly to a goal, but that's by luck, poor finishing and the quality of others. He's dropped quite a few howlers in the last three or four games and some of them have been punished. He's looked like he's needed a break to refind his form on several occasions this season, but we've had to rely on him. I'd rather not have to do that again next season. If he's going to play week in week out it has to be on merit, not because Ferdinand is made of china, or McShane is suspended, or Hector's playing in midfield and we don't have anyone else.

Personally, I dont think Cooper is the problem. Al Habsi is a far greater liability always rooted to his goal line. There has been little defensive protection from our poor midfield. Cooper has been getting too exposed and not had enough help in front or behind him. Put Leigertwood and Karacan in front of Cooper and Federici behind him and with that kind of support he won't be getting exposed nearly as much.

The team is not playing as a team. They are disorganised and couldn't care less. This season just needs to be shot and killed off. Let's move on to a brighter future.

Don't even waste anymore time trying to analyse this shambles. It's futile. Everything will change over the next three months. We'll have a new attitude next season, hopefully with players that are hungry and driven.

Well said. We will start the season looking a very different side. I think we have bottomed now.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 May 2016 18:58

No Fixed Abode
Mr Optimist

I'm not sure he had a skinhead as I could see some grey hair poking out the side of his Reading Baseball cap. But the rest of the description is correct. He said something about getting a missus fairly recently.

Well he sure sounds like a keeper.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 May 2016 19:10

No Fixed Abode
Mr Optimist

Nah, can't be my mate then because he is a massive be.... Not got grey hair.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 May 2016 20:43

Ascotexgunner
Top Flight
Ian Royal
He may not have been the one that made a mistake leading directly to a goal, but that's by luck, poor finishing and the quality of others. He's dropped quite a few howlers in the last three or four games and some of them have been punished. He's looked like he's needed a break to refind his form on several occasions this season, but we've had to rely on him. I'd rather not have to do that again next season. If he's going to play week in week out it has to be on merit, not because Ferdinand is made of china, or McShane is suspended, or Hector's playing in midfield and we don't have anyone else.

Personally, I dont think Cooper is the problem. Al Habsi is a far greater liability always rooted to his goal line. There has been little defensive protection from our poor midfield. Cooper has been getting too exposed and not had enough help in front or behind him. Put Leigertwood and Karacan in front of Cooper and Federici behind him and with that kind of support he won't be getting exposed nearly as much.

The team is not playing as a team. They are disorganised and couldn't care less. This season just needs to be shot and killed off. Let's move on to a brighter future.

Don't even waste anymore time trying to analyse this shambles. It's futile. Everything will change over the next three months. We'll have a new attitude next season, hopefully with players that are hungry and driven.

Well said. We will start the season looking a very different side. I think we have bottomed now.

I agree and disagree in a way. I think we have definitely bottomed out in terms of players attitude. I don't think it can get any worse than what we have been witnessing in the last few weeks. But there is possibly more bottoming out to come with regards to the quality of player that we have at the club. Alot of talent will walk out the door this summer and as our new Dutch guy has said in an interview, we spent alot of money last season. Loans and others are leaving and we have to work with young players moving forward. The Dutch guy is here to find us young, talented players from around Europe.

The likelihood is that as we go into next season we will be at our lowest point in terms of having experienced, quality players at the club. We will probably go into the new year with an inexperienced, youthful team. This is a high risk approach and we could be in serious trouble next year if the players don't deliver. The strategy is ok when delivered over a long period of time integrating players gradually. But if we are going to be trying to integrate five or six inexperienced, youthful players next season we could be in trouble.

We have seen in recent weeks how we get punished when we are disorganised. Brian has no choice but to follow this strategy. It has been imposed on him from above. He'd much rather have experienced, quality pro's. But he has to work in this environment. It's going to be a massive challenge.

I think a lot of nobbers still underestimate the scale of the transition that is about to take place and the difficulty of the job that Brian faces.
Literally just staying up next season is going to be one heck of an achievement. If Brian can at least pull that off, then it gives us a chance to further build on that new squad and improve it further so that we can mount a serious promotion push in a couple of seasons time. I know that time frame will dissapoint alot of nobbers that want instant success. But for me, I have accepted this reality and I'm just going to enjoy my football. I will support Reading to the hilt next season and I won't be moaning at Brian when we're not in the top half of the league. I'm happy with survival next year that's my expectation. I hope we win the league. But I'll take survival right now.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 04 May 2016 21:17

You're not a football club owner are you ? ...

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 04 May 2016 21:20

Opinion is divided but he's definitely got a point ..

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 May 2016 22:10

Longhorn1970

You're not a football club owner are you ? ...

You would think it would carry some weight, but then, the rich owners went for Leicester and Derby, Middlesboro and others. Maybe us being close to London doesn't make any difference whatsoever. What are the factors that these investors are really looking at and where do they rank. Just how attractive are we in reality? Being a big town close to London hasn't really helped us thus far or has it?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 May 2016 22:13

Ask your mate in the ticket office. He's where you usually get your info, Davey.

141 posts