Hob Nob Legend

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by Uke » 28 May 2016 00:27

AthleticoSpizz Some of us are already one step ahead on that :lol:

:lol:

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 28 May 2016 00:50

Too angry to post my full thoughts right now.

We bring back a loyal servant who was harshly sacked previously only to dismiss him after 5 months, seemingly having spoken to at least one other candidate whilst he was still in charge?

Disgraceful.

The club has pretty much died for me today. What's there left to support? Won't be back next season.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 28 May 2016 01:17

RoyalinBracknell Too angry to post my full thoughts right now.

We bring back a loyal servant who was harshly sacked previously only to dismiss him after 5 months, seemingly having spoken to at least one other candidate whilst he was still in charge?

Disgraceful.

The club has pretty much died for me today. What's there left to support? Won't be back next season.

This.
Not gonna read all this thread but I am livid with this club that I love.Brian has been treated in a disgusting manner after years of service :x

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 May 2016 08:41

Extended-Phenotype
sandman
Lacoste
I know we're all pissed off but adie is one of us. He wants the best for the club. Very few of those left.

Still a woman beater.

Sorry, WTF?

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/4202307.Swindon_Town_coach_Ady_Williams_admits_assaulting_former_partner/

One of us. One of us.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 May 2016 09:06

Ok. We've all slept on it and it wasn't a nightmare :lol:

For myself, today I just think back to the Ewood park game only a few weeks back when Brian himself said doing so poorly for so many games consecutively towards the end of the season would not stand him in good stead with his talks with the owners. following that game just 2 weeks back Get Reading ran a poll and 52% voted that they did not think Brian was the man to lead the club forward.

Brian is a really top
Bloke, but yesterday's news was not 'out of the blue' for him, some are using words and derisory terms aimed towards the owners and spouting words such as 'disgusting' which I don't completely agree with. The clubs board have discussed the matter following, terrible form, coaches departing this week & I think he did know the writing was on the wall.

I love Brian. I always will. He achieved fantastic things. Some of the best memories ever being a football fan.

But the fans morale has been a really sad predicament for 2/3 months now, the owners were already being berated with nonsense; with another 2/3 months till the season starts I'm not surprised they wanted something drastic to change.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 28 May 2016 09:18

royalp-we Ok. We've all slept on it and it wasn't a nightmare :lol:

For myself, today I just think back to the Ewood park game only a few weeks back when Brian himself said doing so poorly for so many games consecutively towards the end of the season would not stand him in good stead with his talks with the owners. following that game just 2 weeks back Get Reading ran a poll and 52% voted that they did not think Brian was the man to lead the club forward.

Brian is a really top
Bloke, but yesterday's news was not 'out of the blue' for him, some are using words and derisory terms aimed towards the owners and spouting words such as 'disgusting' which I don't completely agree with. The clubs board have discussed the matter following, terrible form, coaches departing this week & I think he did know the writing was on the wall.

I love Brian. I always will. He achieved fantastic things. Some of the best memories ever being a football fan.

But the fans morale has been a really sad predicament for 2/3 months now, the owners were already being berated with nonsense; with another 2/3 months till the season starts I'm not surprised they wanted something drastic to change.

If the club's intention was to raise fans' moral then it's quite spectacularly failed.

One of the few positives I can take from the last 24 hours is I have seldom seen the Reading fan base so strongly opposed to a decision the club has made.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 May 2016 09:23

Ian Royal
royalp-we sorry but am I missing something? What exactly are you going to achieve by asking the club for a refund?

Surely your love for the football club runs deeper than Brian McDermott unsuccessful tenure

I too believe Brian has been treated harshly, as I expressed previously he should have at least got till Xmas; but I'll still be turning up to watch the team play whoever gets appointed.

Modern day ownership sees that owners can run the club as they see fit.

Something drastic did need to change - do we know that Brian did not lose the dressing room - have any CURRENT players actually passed comment over his departure?

Whether I'll get, or am entitled to, a refund I don't know. The owners are business people and the club is a business. The fastest way I know to make a business take notice is to harm a) its revenue and b) its public image. I've taken the only effective action I can to target those two things, on a matter of principle.

I will always be a Reading fan, but I will not support Reading actively if the club becomes something I'm not happy with. And I am very far from proud of, or happy with, my club right now. I won't sit by and just keep attending like a sheep, or fade away without comment. I'll take my stand and try to make sure my view is heard.

I suspect the last thing the club wants is have a sudden drop in season ticket uptake because of unhappy fans, or worse have to make a bunch of refunds. And if this stops them making such a stupid decision in future, all the better. Sadly, it's too late for this ridiculous one to be taken back.

As for McDermott losing the dressing room... mindless speculation. Besides, the dressing room is now half empty, and I rather doubt the Academy graduates would have given him much trouble, so by the time the new season started, those he may or may not have lost would be just a tiny part of the squad.

There was plenty of green shoots of promise under McDermott, lots of hard work to do, but what exactly is anyone else going to bring that's better? We now have a crucial period with no manager. The new manager has to assess the players to see what he's got and what he needs... except they're all on holiday, so that can't happen for weeks. And they'll be at pre-season stage, which isn't particularly reflective of match day performance.

Not only that, but we've lost one of our senior coaching staff and our Director of Football. The leadership of the footballing side of the club has collapsed. There is no circumstance under which this can be seen as a good move. They might, *might*, strike it lucky. I have my doubts given how well everything else has gone over the last 4 years.

I can't help but feel this is going to damage your chances of getting the manager's job.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 28 May 2016 09:31

Pepe the Horseman
Ian Royal
royalp-we sorry but am I missing something? What exactly are you going to achieve by asking the club for a refund?

Surely your love for the football club runs deeper than Brian McDermott unsuccessful tenure

I too believe Brian has been treated harshly, as I expressed previously he should have at least got till Xmas; but I'll still be turning up to watch the team play whoever gets appointed.

Modern day ownership sees that owners can run the club as they see fit.

Something drastic did need to change - do we know that Brian did not lose the dressing room - have any CURRENT players actually passed comment over his departure?

Whether I'll get, or am entitled to, a refund I don't know. The owners are business people and the club is a business. The fastest way I know to make a business take notice is to harm a) its revenue and b) its public image. I've taken the only effective action I can to target those two things, on a matter of principle.

I will always be a Reading fan, but I will not support Reading actively if the club becomes something I'm not happy with. And I am very far from proud of, or happy with, my club right now. I won't sit by and just keep attending like a sheep, or fade away without comment. I'll take my stand and try to make sure my view is heard.

I suspect the last thing the club wants is have a sudden drop in season ticket uptake because of unhappy fans, or worse have to make a bunch of refunds. And if this stops them making such a stupid decision in future, all the better. Sadly, it's too late for this ridiculous one to be taken back.

As for McDermott losing the dressing room... mindless speculation. Besides, the dressing room is now half empty, and I rather doubt the Academy graduates would have given him much trouble, so by the time the new season started, those he may or may not have lost would be just a tiny part of the squad.

There was plenty of green shoots of promise under McDermott, lots of hard work to do, but what exactly is anyone else going to bring that's better? We now have a crucial period with no manager. The new manager has to assess the players to see what he's got and what he needs... except they're all on holiday, so that can't happen for weeks. And they'll be at pre-season stage, which isn't particularly reflective of match day performance.

Not only that, but we've lost one of our senior coaching staff and our Director of Football. The leadership of the footballing side of the club has collapsed. There is no circumstance under which this can be seen as a good move. They might, *might*, strike it lucky. I have my doubts given how well everything else has gone over the last 4 years.

I can't help but feel this is going to damage your chances of getting the manager's job.

At least you wont get a draft on the concourse whilst sipping champers and eating posh nosh

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 May 2016 09:35

Having slept on it. I still feel gutted. Stupidity at the top from the Thais.

This is the worst sacking of a manager in RFC history. Unfair, unjust and a totally incompetent decision.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 May 2016 09:37

I'll be as supportive supporter I can be with the new management. Who knows, perhaps a change in the SUMMER this time will actually see the players perform from the very start of the season, right through. Once the euros are done, they'll be concentrating on impressing the new man who picks the team. Lol I most certainly will not be asking for a refund for my ST.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 May 2016 09:42

Can't help but think this all adds a new dimensionto the Steve Clarke incident. Maybe ownership shambles was behind his decision to look at Fulham.

Players dying to jump ship, Hammond's gone, rumours flying around about no money for transfers, work stopped on training ground, Brian sacked after an apparent disagreement...

It's obviously a mess behind the scenes, maybe worse than even Zingaravich?

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 28 May 2016 09:43

Dave-Royal
RoyalinBracknell Too angry to post my full thoughts right now.

Disgraceful.

won't be back next season Idiot you no reading fan loyal are you
McDermot had to get the sack simply
if we are in top 6 next season u be back

I'm loyal to much of what I think Reading Football Club has been about - its values, its principals, its ethos.

I no longer see these things in the club.

I'm loyal to those who have served Reading Football Club well during its most successful period in its history - Brian McDermott included.

Many of these people are no longer at the club.

I've never left a Reading game early. I've travelled to matches when we haven't won for several games because I've still cared about those involved. I've gone to see reserve matches and U21 matches over the years because I cared about the growing development of the club.

Today I've stopped caring - what is there to care about? What is there left to support? What development is there aside from Royal Elm Park?

A football club stands for so much more than just results. We haven't won for 7 games now, yet the main emotions for a signifificant proportion of supporters at this managerial change are frustration, anger and disgust.

Even if we have a run of good results it's likely to be nothing more than a quick fix, led by people we have little connection to. And as soon as something goes wrong the owners will give up on that and start with something else.

Don't intend to go to another game whilst the current owners are in charge - unless the strength of feeling is enough to generate protests against them or support of Brian McDermott. I firmly believe they are in the process of undoing all the good work the club has done for the last 20 or so years.

George_

by George_ » 28 May 2016 10:05

Still gutted about Brian.

Still want the Thai's out.

Never have I felt so disconnected from the Club. There is 0 connection between the fans & players/owners/board.

1st time in 10 years I've not been optimistic going into a season & I really fear for relegation next season.

We have owners here for the land. THATS IT. They don't know how to run a Football Club & they are destroying all the hard work & efforts of people behind the scenes have done in recent years.

The sooner they sell up the better (if anyone would actually be interested in the club anymore after the mess they've made)

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 28 May 2016 10:12

Top Flight Having slept on it. I still feel gutted. Stupidity at the top from the Thais.

This is the worst sacking of a manager in RFC history. Unfair, unjust and a totally incompetent decision.

Gutted as well.
Undecided about whether it is stupidity. Time will tell. Happy to be proved wrong.
I'd see it as the second worst sacking. BMcD's 1st sacking was the worst in my view. Then he was sacked for over-achieving the previous season with an average side. This time he should have been given time & the chance to build a team, or why appoint him in the first place.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 28 May 2016 10:22

Top Flight Having slept on it. I still feel gutted. Stupidity at the top from the Thais.

How old are you? You're like a petulant child.

What a complete and utter drama queen.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 May 2016 10:23

harry why appoint him in the first place.

Panic. Relegation would have devalued the Thai's investment even further.

Why appoint Brian Tevreden? Even less top level experience.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 May 2016 10:23

Jackson Corner
Dave-Royal Jaap Stam still top of the list !!

How many overseas managers have won promotion from the Championship? Not many.

Well, 2 in the last 2 seasons (Jokanovic and Karanka), potentially 3 if Wednesday win today (Carvahal)

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 May 2016 10:31

Say we did give BMcD till Xmas, then he was sacked anyway - I can imagine many would say 'he should have gone in the summer'.

I'll miss Brian. But the new manager will be able to put a stamp on things from the very START of the season, not appointed mid way through like our previous 3 appointments.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2016 10:42

The thing I don't understand is why give Clarke the summer and backing, but not McDermott?

The circumstances were virtually identical. Poor results, a team needing significant overhaul. The only difference was McDermott had a connection to the club and a previous track record of success.

I hated Clarke at this point last year and thought we'd be relegated under him, yet even I wasn't calling for his head at this point. It's madness.

One thing that is important, is that the fans have to remember this isn't the fault of whoever replaces McDermott. They need to get backed by us, not treated like Adkins and shunned by a significant proportion from the start just for not being Brian McDermott.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 28 May 2016 11:01

Ian Royal The thing I don't understand is why give Clarke the summer and backing, but not McDermott?

The circumstances were virtually identical. Poor results, a team needing significant overhaul. The only difference was McDermott had a connection to the club and a previous track record of success.

I hated Clarke at this point last year and thought we'd be relegated under him, yet even I wasn't calling for his head at this point. It's madness.

One thing that is important, is that the fans have to remember this isn't the fault of whoever replaces McDermott. They need to get backed by us, not treated like Adkins and shunned by a significant proportion from the start just for not being Brian McDermott.

All good points. Agree with everything other than hating Clarke this time last year. I was more a wait & see, then my view of him shot up in the early season, then it got flushed down a toilet.

I'll back any new manager as long as he or she isn't a fascist, racist or W#nker which narrows down the usual list at this stage.

I'd prefer someone with a connection to the club rather than some random. Whoever it is needs to be given TIME

565 posts