McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

565 posts
Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by Longhorn1970 » 29 May 2016 11:52

Jagermesiter1871
Sutekh Generally agree with the consensus that the Thais appear to have no idea how to run a football club. Seem to be desperate to get to the PL but want to do it by spending no money whatsoever and any money we get for players is thrown away on manager settlements.

Clueless.

Of course if this is totally wrong then why do they not come and talk to us and tell us what the strategy is and what the hell is going in at the club at all levels.

Please, Sasima, put someone up to us/the media to talk and answer questions.

This is it for me. With the 10's of investors/owners/chairmen/little old Thai ladies you'd think one of them could putting a oxf*rd statement to explain their actions and what the actual plan for the club is, because for me as a supporter it looks like an utter shambles.

Clarkes comments on Sky are certainly looking to be more than just sour grapes.

It was pretty obvious from their end of season statement that BM had no backing. A brave decision as their would inevitably be some backlash from the nostalgic element, I wonder what action the owners will take against the board members who thought it was a good idea to re-appoint BM !
What has Clarke said to sky ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2016 11:56

You can say McDermott's performance wasn't good enough all you like, but the simple fact is that the vast majority of clubs who show no patience in a manager struggle and deteriorate in the long run.

Sacking someone after 5 months sends the message that you have no idea what you're doing when appointing someone and that you have to instantly perform or you're out regardless of circumstance. That does not make for an attractive club for good managers.

Our performance under McDermott was not without redeeming features. The defence was vulnerable, but that's what you get when bringing through a young centreback. It was fixable. Our sttikers were a mess, but that was fixable. Midfield was fine.

And the fact remains that McDermott did no worse than Clarke in his first season. Yet got binned. If a manager with far less track record who showed absolutely nothing could get us briefly playing excellently, there's no reason McDermott couldn't.

Look at Pearson turning around Leicester in the PL. Hughton with Brighton.

It was a short-termist, reactionary leap into the unknown that causes yet more chaos and uncertainty within the club. At the same time other major figures have gone. It means we'll be steered in yet another direction, the fourth in under two years.

If you keep changing the manager you'll never go anywhere.

What if the new guy starts badly? Sack him by Xmas? At least if McDermott had still been here and we'd done badly we'd have had 12 months of stability before moving on, not 18 months of disruption. Because McDermott sure as hell wouldn't have oxf*rd us about like Clarke did and damaged the squad from within. We know he wouldn't have courted a move to our rivals at the first sniff of money. We won't with the new guy.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 29 May 2016 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 May 2016 12:09

Hoop Blah Agreed, albeit with the caveat that some of those may have their judgement clouded by their own personal treatment at the club.

Also, there is more than one way to skin a cat etc.

Easy to dismiss them as "bitter" a lot harder to acknowledge what they are saying and to realise they are doing it with the interests of the club at heart.

Again, they are football people. They know the game and how it works so even if the way some of them left may have been less than ideal they know enough about the inner workings of football not to let that colour their judgment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2016 12:11

Longhorn1970
sandman Can't address problems on the pitch with one transfer window and a squad that isn't yours.

It was a good squad as early results showed. There was never going to be an influx of players which BM knew when he took job, he just failed to get the best out of them ..

You have ask yourself, if they're good for 7 games, ok for 10 and shit for 29 which is more representative? Also, Blackman's form of his life was the main reason we were so good. Something he could only maintain for 10 games and that McDermott couldn't bring back out of him because he left.

Clarke's summer business was excellent on paper, but it was full of fancy dan loans who didn't fit and were lightweight luxuries. Piazon, John (who Brian got the best from) Hurtado. Or were competing for a team slot already won (Fernandez).

And none of that means, with a significantly different squad made up of personalities he wanted McDermott couldn't have done what he always did and built a team with a great togetherness and work ethic. Something that's all but impossible with loanees you didn't sign with nothing to play for and their time at the club almost over.

Once you appoint a manager you stick by him unless relegation is imminent. And it can't be imminent until at least December.

If we were looking for an instant turnaround we sgould have employed Warnock to give them and everyone else a kicking.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 May 2016 12:21

sandman
Hoop Blah Agreed, albeit with the caveat that some of those may have their judgement clouded by their own personal treatment at the club.

Easy to dismiss them as "bitter" a lot harder to acknowledge what they are saying and to realise they are doing it with the interests of the club at heart.

Again, they are football people. They know the game and how it works so even if the way some of them left may have been less than ideal they know enough about the inner workings of football not to let that colour their judgment.

I'm not dismissing anything, I tend to agree with what they're suggesting.

But I'd argue it's easier to take their comments at face value than perhaps evaluate their perspective a little.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 May 2016 12:49

Can someone direct me to these comments by Clarke, Coppell, Kitson, Dillon, Karacan etc?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2016 12:52

Snowball Can someone direct me to these comments by Clarke, Coppell, Kitson, Dillon, Karacan etc?

Kitson's were tweets they're in the thread somewhere and on Twitter.

Clarke was on some interview a week or two ago... again, quoted in one of the threads here, probably how brian is doing.

John tweeted something possibly related.

Probably check twitter for Jem. Dillon probably on local radio. .

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 May 2016 12:57

Snowball Can someone direct me to these comments by Clarke, Coppell, Kitson, Dillon, Karacan etc?

Clarke - http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-transcript-reading-fcs-former-11236390

Coppell - BBC during Palace game.

Kitson - https://www.instagram.com/p/BF6Qd_ykfRy/?taken-by=theboykitson

Dillon - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03v93df Was on the short lunch time chat so hopefully included in the full programme.

Cox - https://twitter.com/SCoxy31Real?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor retweeted by Karacan and Taylor.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 29 May 2016 13:16

This love fest for a management failure is truly nausiating. pass me the sick bag

RoyalCrisp

by RoyalCrisp » 29 May 2016 13:51

Longhorn1970
Jagermesiter1871
Sutekh Generally agree with the consensus that the Thais appear to have no idea how to run a football club. Seem to be desperate to get to the PL but want to do it by spending no money whatsoever and any money we get for players is thrown away on manager settlements.

Clueless.

Of course if this is totally wrong then why do they not come and talk to us and tell us what the strategy is and what the hell is going in at the club at all levels.

Please, Sasima, put someone up to us/the media to talk and answer questions.

This is it for me. With the 10's of investors/owners/chairmen/little old Thai ladies you'd think one of them could putting a oxf*rd statement to explain their actions and what the actual plan for the club is, because for me as a supporter it looks like an utter shambles.

Clarkes comments on Sky are certainly looking to be more than just sour grapes.

It was pretty obvious from their end of season statement that BM had no backing. A brave decision as their would inevitably be some backlash from the nostalgic element, I wonder what action the owners will take against the board members who thought it was a good idea to re-appoint BM !
What has Clarke said to sky ?

McDermott was appointed by the Thais, all decisions have been theirs since they took over, this wasn't them correcting some mistake made by the old guard, this was them showing how poor their management of the club is.

Clarke raised concerns about the Thais in an interview a few weeks ago, basically said the dynamic at the top was unworkable, but he was dismissed by most. I mean, he did screw us over in his final weeks at the club and his sacking remains one of the few good decisions the Thais have made, but it's clear now there was truth in what he was saying and it wasn't just him bad mouthing the club.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 May 2016 14:00

Quick, sack championship title winning Brian McDermott and get that Yugoslavian bloke from the Azerbaijan Premier League who hasn't worked for three years!

:|

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 May 2016 14:17

RoyalCrisp McDermott was appointed by the Thais, all decisions have been theirs since they took over, this wasn't them correcting some mistake made by the old guard, this was them showing how poor their management of the club is.

I think it incredibly unlikely he was their choice though. He's have been recommended by the old guard, probably a little hastily. We could have taken a little time back then to find a candidate, see who we could have got. Instead we hired Brian immediately, when he might not have been the best option.

If they weren't completely convinced when they hired him, they'd have seen nothing to convince them in his spell here. I feel his sacking was harsh due to the short amount of time he was given, but there was nothing to indicate any corners were being turned.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2016 14:32

tmesis
RoyalCrisp McDermott was appointed by the Thais, all decisions have been theirs since they took over, this wasn't them correcting some mistake made by the old guard, this was them showing how poor their management of the club is.

I think it incredibly unlikely he was their choice though. He's have been recommended by the old guard, probably a little hastily. We could have taken a little time back then to find a candidate, see who we could have got. Instead we hired Brian immediately, when he might not have been the best option.

If they weren't completely convinced when they hired him, they'd have seen nothing to convince them in his spell here. I feel his sacking was harsh due to the short amount of time he was given, but there was nothing to indicate any corners were being turned.

We didn't hire him immediately, it was a couple of weeks with several days delay before announcement after it was reported as a done deal. Contrast with Clarke who was appointed within about three to five days.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 29 May 2016 16:39

leon
RoyallyFcuked
leon And the clown hasn't even been to any games.

I don't have an ST anymore no, mostly only go to away games now. Did a handful under Clarke towards the start of the season, since Brian returned I've only been to two as I've become too disillusioned to keep attending and frankly lost a lot of interest over the season, as I said already.

How many you been to this season you cretin? Been enjoying it have you? Tell me more about how much we've improved.

Enough to know we've got systemic issues at the club, that giving the bloke 6 months to fix them isn't enough and crowing about the sacking of someone who's had a track record of success with us is out of order.

None then I take it, because you wouldn't have had to go to any to know that.

AthleticoSpizz Thanks to our current incumbant tyrants, I am actually looking forward to playing the likes of Colchester, Bury and Shrewsbury in the years to come.

Disgraceful and ignorant decision announced today.

At least we will get to enjoy that "build-up- feeling of success" thing that so many of the young voices on here have never experienced....let's do it again from division 4

I just cannot understand this level of overreaction. Just because we sacked Brian we're guna do a Blackpool? :lol:

What's the worst that could happen? We get relegated, something that could well have been on the cards had Brian stayed anyway. Or more likely, we will do better next season with a new manager with a new approach and fresh ideas. I'd be more worried if we'd sacked him approaching Christmas with us in the bottom half of the table, which is why now was the time to do it if they thought the risk of that was too high. The hangover from last season should be gone with someone new in charge, and if they felt they needed someone new then obviously they needed to give them the summer.

The one thing I don't understand is why they gave him a 2.5 year deal when it seems they had no intention of keeping him on unless he worked miracles? Surely the thing to do would have been give him a contract until the end of the season with the possibility of extension based on performance. Begs the question "why get him back in the first place?", a question which I asked when we re appointed him. In that respect I do think its stupid way to treat him and the fans, because it gives them a false impression.

You lot keep saying "its not just because they've sacked Brian", but that is clearly what is making the difference here. It doesn't mean the owners are crazy, Madejski got rid of Rodgers after even less time. If you all put aside your love for Brian and what he did before (which bares no relevance to now) its really not that much of an unusual or unfair sacking.

How much difference is it really going to make to us if we have a new manager from this point on? Not much, because Brian has made virtually no impact on anything since he's been back. None of the players we have now have any real ties or bond with Brian. It's really not going to affect the stability of the club as much as some think. We will have had 3 new managers in 3 seasons, it's not that bad.

We have the nucleus of a good first 11 and squad, there is still no reason why with a few of the right additions we can't be more than competitive this season. Clearly the owners felt that we have more chance of that with someone other than Brian.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2016 16:47

Valid points, and 6 defeats in 7 is definitely sackable form in the football world... but I still think it's a joke that he wasn't given the summer. On past achievements the evidence is there that Brian is good at building teams, it's what he does - and he wasn't given the chance at all. Especially if we end up with some bloke from Azerbaijan with absolutely no management credentials, what is the point?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 29 May 2016 17:19

genome Valid points, and 6 defeats in 7 is definitely sackable form in the football world... but I still think it's a joke that he wasn't given the summer. On past achievements the evidence is there that Brian is good at building teams, it's what he does - and he wasn't given the chance at all. Especially if we end up with some bloke from Azerbaijan with absolutely no management credentials, what is the point?

I can see it from that point of view, the fact he had to go now makes it harsher on him, and you can could argue that because of what Brian achieved before, if anyone deserved time it was him.

I agree then there would be no point, but lets wait to see who comes in first. Surely they wouldn't have sacked him without knowing they could get someone else they believe to be better.

Also I don't think this means this is the end of the Reading way yet, I still think we will see a return to the more reserved approach in the transfer market, the Thais will have learnt from last season and will hopefully look at what we've done in the past. As long as they have now learnt the lesson "spend what money you have wisely" then we should be ok.

I want to see us bring in a couple of ex Prem players and experienced Championship players, plus a few of the top performers out of Leagues One and Two. We don't have to spend much money. No loan deals, just a mix of upcoming potential and experienced pros all with a point to prove and the hunger to do it at a higher level.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 29 May 2016 17:46

RoyallyFcuked
genome Valid points, and 6 defeats in 7 is definitely sackable form in the football world... but I still think it's a joke that he wasn't given the summer. On past achievements the evidence is there that Brian is good at building teams, it's what he does - and he wasn't given the chance at all. Especially if we end up with some bloke from Azerbaijan with absolutely no management credentials, what is the point?

I can see it from that point of view, the fact he had to go now makes it harsher on him, and you can could argue that because of what Brian achieved before, if anyone deserved time it was him.

I agree then there would be no point, but lets wait to see who comes in first. Surely they wouldn't have sacked him without knowing they could get someone else they believe to be better.

Also I don't think this means this is the end of the Reading way yet, I still think we will see a return to the more reserved approach in the transfer market, the Thais will have learnt from last season and will hopefully look at what we've done in the past. As long as they have now learnt the lesson "spend what money you have wisely" then we should be ok.

I want to see us bring in a couple of ex Prem players and experienced Championship players, plus a few of the top performers out of Leagues One and Two. We don't have to spend much money. No loan deals, just a mix of upcoming potential and experienced pros all with a point to prove and the hunger to do it at a higher level.

You seem to think the "Reading way " was simply being reserved in the transfer window -i.e. not spending. It was about much more than that , it was about l loyalty and patience and giving a manager and the management team time to create something special, it was about stability and continuity- how long did Sir Steve have to create his miracle - a helluva a lot longer than 6 months. The Reading way is not only dead with this group of owners but buried, dug up cremated and the ashes spread on the wind.

As for your suggestions for how to get out of this mess, experienced championship players, ex-Premiership, no loans and experienced pro's what do you think Brian's plans were based on his previous history . You are been celebrating the sacking of a manager who in all probability would do exactly what you are suggesting.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 May 2016 17:55

Ian Royal
tmesis

We didn't hire him immediately, it was a couple of weeks with several days delay before announcement after it was reported as a done deal. Contrast with Clarke who was appointed within about three to five days.

Nigel Howe seems to have form for picking managers* before the old one has gone, and I doubt McDermott was any different, or we were really looking at anyone else.

* before Tommy Burns got sacked, for example, a mate of mine had a meeting with him up at the stadium (He bizarrely got invited in for a chat by Nigel Howe, after being heard shouting some abuse after we lost at Bournemouth). In that meeting Howe was suggesting managers to him, asking how fans would react to Joe Kinnear being manager, for example.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 May 2016 18:24

Whatever your views on BM are....or were,

hiring the guy with the view to sacking him without even giving him the good grace, time or opportunity to construct his own team just shows what a bunch of clueless venkeys we have at the helm.

Enjoy

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 May 2016 18:26

Exactly. Also, with the possible exception of Cox, who is a McDermott fan, they are unlikely to have much first hand experience of what is going on at the club at present.

AthleticoSpizz Whatever your views on BM are....or were,

hiring the guy with the view to sacking him without even giving him the good grace, time or opportunity to construct his own team just shows what a bunch of clueless venkeys we have at the helm.

Enjoy

Perhaps they made the mistake of hiring him on the recommendation of Madejski, Hammond and Howe and then realised they had made a mistake in taking that recommendation. A decent manager should be able to make something out of the players he inherits and not have to completely rebuild. The squad we had wasn't exactly lacking in talent but the reputedly great man manager and motivator got almost sweet FA out of them.

Also who knows what was said at the time of his appointment. Maybe McDermott and/or his backers assured the owners that he would be able to get something out of the squad without ripping everything up and starting from scratch.

565 posts