Why Should McDermott Have Been Given A Chance?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why Should McDermott Have Been Given A Chance?

by royalp-we » 31 May 2016 19:10

How the hell do you, or anyone else, know what was asked of BMcD when he took over? Answer: you don't

You slate the recruitment process and current changes when in reality you know oxf*rd all about what happens behind the scenes.

So do you know what BMcD said he would deliver come the end of the 15/16 season? Or are you going to just guess that he didn't promise more?

Just you keep comparing past failures with current ones. Have fun with that.

Looking forward to seeing you with ST in hand at the Mad Stad come August x

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 31 May 2016 19:43

I barely know where to begin

If we are going to be the kind of club that gives a manager five months with someone else's players, especially when you consider what
he achieved as a scout and as a coach for us, then we deserve all the failure that we are going to build up as a result.

It does not matter who it is really but sacking after five months is just sheer ineptitude at board room level.

So presumably the next one will be gone by Christmas if things get no better and so it goes on and on and on.

Not how to run a football club properly (or any business for that matter) unless the individual is guilty of gross negligence.

I thought we were premature last time and even if he had taken us down again I think we might have been better off than we are
now if they had kept faith. I know it is not easy to do with fickle fans but it really is the only way to get lasting success....

did burnley sack their manager when relegated ? ..no and now look...brighton middlesborough hull they all showed faith and they
were right up there. Derby did what we have now done but at least they have gone for the prime candidate as the next step.
We have Stam and some guy with managerial experience in....Baku . I am sure they will suss out the championship instantly.

We have sewn our own downward seeds I fear,
Last edited by Percy's Rocket on 31 May 2016 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 May 2016 19:48

Pretty much all been said on here already....but you put it so much better.

Seems to be the opinion of the majority

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 31 May 2016 19:54

Brian McDermott
Libertine Why hire him in the first place if the owners had no confidence in him doing the job?

I think they did have confidence in him. They must have said to him in the interview, "you need to make improvements, because we're pretty rubbish at the moment".

6 months later and we've gotten worse in pretty much every department? He has to be held responsible. Sack him all day.

If they said to him "Brian, don't worry about this season, it's a write off", then yeah, it's a harsh sacking. But I doubt very much they said that.

All McDermott (2nd time around) did was make Steve Clarke look like a good manager.

You are as impatient, knee-jerk, incompetent and disconnected as the Thais.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 May 2016 19:58

photographer The Thais want to go to the Premier League. Everyone knows this. Why should the Thais give Brian millions to spend considering the crap he has brought into the club every season he has been with us (Blackman, Akpan, Kermit, Manset, Shorey, etc).

Where are the these millions of pounds coming from? The sales of Cooper, Norwood, Williams and Obita............

We are further away from the premiership than at any time in many years. No time soon either.

Fezza

by Fezza » 31 May 2016 20:11

It's the Thai's money, they can do what the like with it.

At the end of the day McD had a very poor 5 months in charge, similar to Clarke the previous season. Perhaps the Thais felt, quite fairly, that they were better to make a change early rather than halfway through a season having already been burnt once.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 May 2016 20:11

I didn't want Brian back but because of his previous success at the club I believe that he had earned the right to be given until at least Christmas to turn around our fortunes, I just think that the world of football should be a more respectful place.

The only thing I would say is that may be the Thais were caught between a rock and a hard place. They seemed genuinely upset that Clarke had spoken to Fulham and they might have seen this as a safe appointment and relied heavily on SJM and NH etc. in the decision making process. And the 1 point out of a possible 21 at the end of the season reluctantly forced their hand.

Also, I wonder if this is just them clearing out the old guard, which has always been the plan all along.

Fezza

by Fezza » 31 May 2016 20:17

blythspartan I didn't want Brian back but because of his previous success at the club I believe that he had earned the right to be given until at least Christmas to turn around our fortunes, I just think that the world of football should be a more respectful place.

The only thing I would say is that may be the Thais were caught between a rock and a hard place. They seemed genuinely upset that Clarke had spoken to Fulham and they might have seen this as a safe appointment and relied heavily on SJM and NH etc. in the decision making process. And the 1 point out of a possible 21 at the end of the season reluctantly forced their hand.

Also, I wonder if this is just them clearing out the old guard, which has always been the plan all along.

A rare attack of sense on HNA, I agree with you 100%.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 May 2016 20:20

Ian Royal Genuine question.

Can someone who thinks this was a good idea explain why we were right to keep Clarke, whose record after 25 league games in charge at the end of the season was:
P25, W6, D7, L12, F22 A33, GD -11

Compared to sacked McDermott, who's record after 25 league games at the end of the season was:
P25, W6, D7, L12, F25, A34, GD -9

Bare in mind Clarke got a massive 3 extra points in his last six games, thanks to an unlikely final away win.

And were you clamouring for Clarke to go this time last year?

Personally, I thought the team as a whole looked better under Brian than it did at the same stage under Clarke.

May be because he bought in decent players like Quinn and McShane (contrast to McDonuts last few signings for us) and actually achieved something in his time in the Prem?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2016 20:32

Mid Sussex Royal
Ian Royal Genuine question.

Can someone who thinks this was a good idea explain why we were right to keep Clarke, whose record after 25 league games in charge at the end of the season was:
P25, W6, D7, L12, F22 A33, GD -11

Compared to sacked McDermott, who's record after 25 league games at the end of the season was:
P25, W6, D7, L12, F25, A34, GD -9

Bare in mind Clarke got a massive 3 extra points in his last six games, thanks to an unlikely final away win.

And were you clamouring for Clarke to go this time last year?

Personally, I thought the team as a whole looked better under Brian than it did at the same stage under Clarke.

May be because he bought in decent players like Quinn and McShane (contrast to McDonuts last few signings for us) and actually achieved something in his time in the Prem?

Better, but still not great. Clarke led a decent West Brom side into gradual decline, I wouldn't say he achieved anything much with them. Also, bit disingenuous to compare Clarke's summer signings with McDermott's winter ones. If you compare like for like, then Clarke's a pretty clearly shitter.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 31 May 2016 20:36

The Thais are putting themselves under huge pressure. They appoint a manager and then don't give him the chance to do his job. If the slide continues under the next manager, next time, instead of fans losing patience with the manager, it will be the Thais that the fans lose patience with.

Any person with any common sense knows that a manager needs considerably longer than 5 months to make improvements.

I think most Reading fans also know that the team was unbalanced, the team was performing poorly long before Brian came in, there were issues with the attitude of the players and that the problems run much deeper than just picking the 11 and setting out a formation. Only transfer windows can sort out that kind of a mess.

Also, prior to the poor run at the end of the season we were doing alright. It's very sad that Brian was ultimately judged on the poor run at the end of the season.

Those last seven games
Safety was assured. There were two further factors at play. First factor, Brian was planning for next season and experimenting with his side. He was not choosing his best eleven. He was giving experience and game time to the lads that will be with us this up coming season. So we saw Cooper and not Hector. We saw Rakels and not Vydra. We saw Ola John and Piazon sidelined and width taken out of the team, so Brian experimented with this diamond which we all hated and could see didn't really work. Brian played that system because he wanted to experiment, see if he could make a new system work and give experience and minutes to next seasons players. He was right to do that because results no longer mattered as safety was assured. These were only meaningless friendlies at the end of the campaign.

The other factor of course were that the players no longer cared and some were preserving themselves and avoiding injuries with the Euros coming up. I think the firing of McDermott was very harsh.

Alot of the Brian haters keep saying that the pro Brian camp only supported him because he was a lovely guy and being a lovely guy is not a reason to keep a manager. But the Pro Brian camp is not in favour of Brian because he is a good bloke. It's because he has one hell of a track record as a Reading manager. Let's see if the next manager will have as good a CV as Brian. I very much doubt it.

If the Thais bring in a boss with a hell of a good CV and track record of title successes in England, in the Championship then I will say that they made the right decision and will be behind their decision making fully. If they keep signing players from Dutch 2nd divisions and Portuguese and Polish leagues who come over and are as poor as the previous round of signings then these Thais will be so unpopular this time next season it doesn't even bare thinking about. If they appoint a manager who has only managed the Azerbaijani equivalent of Caversham boys under 12s team from South West Baku province then all hell is going to break loose on HNA.

Esteban

by Esteban » 31 May 2016 21:19

I don't see much difference between Clarke at the end of last season and McDermott at the end of this. Yet Clarke was given a summer and decent backing, while McDermott got the sack. In answer to the OP, that's why McDermott deserved his chance.

The Thais' next move is crucial to begin some sort of rebuilding process with the fans. They need to recruit a good manager, back him with funds, hold on to most of our best players and most importantly, give us a clear definition of their plans for the club.

Time will tell, but I don't trust them to get it right.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 May 2016 22:53

Esteban
Time will tell, but I don't trust them to get it right.

That's why the game is so enjoyable. You never know what might happen.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 31 May 2016 23:23

photographer We all know McDermott is terrible at scouting ........

Congratulations on one of the most stupid comment I have read on HNA for a long long time. " McDermott terrible at scouting" , god i give up. Whatever you may think of his failings as a manager ,his experience, results and track record on scouting are excellent.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jun 2016 00:10

photographer
Brian didn't give European Championship winner Daniel Carrico a chance after just 5 months at Reading. Why should we give Brian a chance to waste money on his useless transfers?

I believe every other mistake in this post has already been corrected.

Daniel Carriço has never won the European Championship. He is Portuguese, and Portugal have never won the European Championship. He only has one Portugal cap. He has won the Europa League on multiple occasions though.

As Brendy says, Carriço was injured while he was here. The only reason we could afford to sign him was because he had been injured for a long time. He had a rather excellent cameo against Liverpool and I don't think any manager would be so stupid as to leave him out of the side if he was fit. Indeed, McDermott played him when he was clearly not up to speed (against West Brom), which nearly cost us the match.

elrey

by elrey » 01 Jun 2016 02:39

McDermott sold his best player, and Reading got better. He sold his best player again, and Reading got promoted.

The Thais want to get to the Premier League, you don't do this with a new manager every 6 months and a bunch of average championship players. Reading will be playing Newcastle and two other teams on massive parachute payments next season, without the ability to be able to compete when it comes to buying players. The ONLY way is to have a manager who can get you there, and they just fired a guy who got the club promoted with an average set of championship players.

He bought Gorkass, Leigertwood, Mills, le Fondre and Roberts that season, after selling Shane Long. And he got promoted.

None of the regular players went on to better things. He made them more than the sum of their parts.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jun 2016 08:00

elrey McDermott sold his best player, and Reading got better. He sold his best player again, and Reading got promoted.

The Thais want to get to the Premier League, you don't do this with a new manager every 6 months and a bunch of average championship players. Reading will be playing Newcastle and two other teams on massive parachute payments next season, without the ability to be able to compete when it comes to buying players. The ONLY way is to have a manager who can get you there, and they just fired a guy who got the club promoted with an average set of championship players.

He bought Gorkass, Leigertwood, Mills, le Fondre and Roberts that season, after selling Shane Long. And he got promoted.

None of the regular players went on to better things. He made them more than the sum of their parts.

Exactly. He was a great manager! The Thais, Longhorn, Royally Ffffd Up, Roller Bob and a couple of other haters will have to learn the hard way what a great manager we have lost. Whoever comes in will not achieve FA Cup Quarter Finals, Play-Off Finals and Championship titles with Reading under the circumstances of having no money to spend. Brian McDermott was able to do it. Very few managers can.

Brian McDermott

by Brian McDermott » 01 Jun 2016 08:25

Top Flight Those last seven games
Safety was assured. There were two further factors at play. First factor, Brian was planning for next season and experimenting with his side. He was not choosing his best eleven. He was giving experience and game time to the lads that will be with us this up coming season. So we saw Cooper and not Hector. We saw Rakels and not Vydra. We saw Ola John and Piazon sidelined and width taken out of the team, so Brian experimented with this diamond which we all hated and could see didn't really work. Brian played that system because he wanted to experiment, see if he could make a new system work and give experience and minutes to next seasons players. He was right to do that because results no longer mattered as safety was assured. These were only meaningless friendlies at the end of the campaign.

A) He's a fool to think his bosses would be fine with 7 straight games of losing (if that is indeed what he thought - I don't think that's he is a fool, I think he just couldn't find a winning formula with his side, simple as that).

B) He stopped playing our loan players did he? errr not until right at the end of the season if I remember rightly.. hell, lets see for real:

Vs Birmingham: Piazon started, Vydra was brought on
Vs Boro: Piazon started, Vydra started, John was brought on, Taylor was brought on
Vs Leeds: Pizaon started, Vydra started, John came on
Vs. Hull: Vydra started, John came on
Vs QPR: WOAH. TAYLOR WAS THE ONLY LOANED PLAYER WHO STARTED - YOU MUST BE RIGHT!! (Vydra and Hec came on)
Vs. Preston: No loans.
Vs. Blackburn: No loans.

So really.. he only 'experimented' and threw in the towel with 3 games to go. For the other 4 months of his time, he played a confused starting 11 with 'experience-needers' like Cooper, yet 'best-starting-11'ers' like Vydra and Piazon. That's why he failed to get results.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 01 Jun 2016 08:26

photographer The Thais want to go to the Premier League. Everyone knows this. Why should the Thais give Brian millions to spend considering the crap he has brought into the club every season he has been with us (Blackman, Akpan, Kermit, Manset, Shorey, etc.

This is the same Shorey we bought for £25k who went on to play for England?
You are Woodcote Royal AICMFP

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 01 Jun 2016 09:07

ayjaydee
photographer The Thais want to go to the Premier League. Everyone knows this. Why should the Thais give Brian millions to spend considering the crap he has brought into the club every season he has been with us (Blackman, Akpan, Kermit, Manset, Shorey, etc.

This is the same Shorey we bought for £25k who went on to play for England?
You are Woodcote Royal AICMFP

I think he's referring to his second spell with us, which didn't go so well (first handful of games apart).