CONFIMRED - Joseph Mendes

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Joseph Mendes

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jul 2016 12:41

bluerinse Hang on !
Did not Leicester sign an unknown player called Riyad Mahrez from the same French team Le Havre in 2014?
Turned out he scored 19 goals last season in the Premiership, and was the Premiership player of the year !
He could be that we have also found a gem, who might just bang in the goals as well.

Stop trying to paper over the cracks. A signing like that probably wont happen again!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2016 13:18

Royal_jimmy
bluerinse Hang on !
Did not Leicester sign an unknown player called Riyad Mahrez from the same French team Le Havre in 2014?
Turned out he scored 19 goals last season in the Premiership, and was the Premiership player of the year !
He could be that we have also found a gem, who might just bang in the goals as well.

Stop trying to paper over the cracks. A signing like that probably wont happen again!

Well.. I mean a signing like that definitely will happen again..

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 08 Jul 2016 13:27

In fairness I think that the lad looks strong, quick and has a bit of a prescence in the box, something that we have been sadly lacking. I also like the fact that he seems to score most of his goals in half empty stadiums, so he will fit in really well at the madstad!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 08 Jul 2016 14:59

I will reserve my judgement until somebody can post his FM16 stats....

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jul 2016 15:23

At least we finally know who this is

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 08 Jul 2016 15:58

Pepe the Horseman At least we finally know who this is

alol :D

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 08 Jul 2016 16:11

Dixeyroyal wrote:
In fairness I think that the lad looks strong, quick and has a bit of a prescence in the box, something that we have been sadly lacking. I also like the fact that he seems to score most of his goals in half empty stadiums, so he will fit in really well at the madstad!

FAF. It's the irony that kills us :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jul 2016 18:32

bluerinse Hang on !

I'm willing to bet Mahrez' youtube highlights reel wasn't of him looking like a total clogger who could barely ever hit the target.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 08 Jul 2016 18:46

It comes to something quite unexpected when goal compilation videos of Bas Savage have more goals in than those of our new signings.

I loved his effort, but he was never quite at the level the club were playing at, when he was with us.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Jul 2016 19:50

CONFIMRED

http://mobile.readingfc.co.uk//news/art ... 75718.aspx

Reading Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of French forward Joseph Mendes for an undisclosed fee from Ligue 2 side Le Havre.

Mendes flew into the country last night and completed his medical with the club earlier today before this evening putting pen to paper on a two-year contract, keeping him at Madejski Stadium until the summer of 2018.

"Joseph is the type of player we have been looking for and the sort of player we need in this team," manager Jaap Stam said. "He has good height, he is strong on the ball, he's quick and he's a goalscorer as well.

"He can play in a central role as a striker or in a wider forward position, so he gives us good options. And I'm really pleased we have secured his signature."

Mendes, who turned 25 at the end of March, scored nine goals in 24 league starts for Le Havre last season including four in the last three league games of the campaign!

The 6’1” striker helped Normandy-based side to a fourth-placed finish in 2015-16; Le Havre finished their campaign ahead of the likes of Lens and Auxerre, but narrowly missed out on promotion to the top tier on goals scored as Metz clung on to the last Ligue 1 place despite Mendes scoring in a 5-0 final day win for Bob Bradley’s men.

Mendes now joins Jaap Stam’s ranks at Reading, adding fresh attacking talent to the new-look squad which is set to begin its pre-season friendly schedule at Boreham Wood on Saturday.

The former Grenoble and Le Mans frontman is expected to jet off to Holland at the start of next week as part of the Royals first team group set to embark on a pre-season training camp in Oosterbeek.

Chief Executive Nigel Howe said, “Joseph becomes our third signing of the summer so far and on behalf of the club, I would like to welcome him to Reading Football Club and wish him the very best of luck here at Madejski Stadium.”

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jul 2016 23:18

royalp-we CONFIMRED

Reading Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of French forward Joseph Mendes for an undisclosed fee from Ligue 2 side Le Havre.

Mendes flew into the country last night and completed his medical with the club earlier today before this evening putting pen to paper on a two-year contract, keeping him at Madejski Stadium until the summer of 2018.

"Joseph is the type of player we have been looking for and the sort of player we need in this team," manager Jaap Stam said. "He has good height, he is strong on the ball, he's quick and he's a goalscorer as well.

"He can play in a central role as a striker or in a wider forward position, so he gives us good options. And I'm really pleased we have secured his signature."

Mendes, who turned 25 at the end of March, scored nine goals in 24 league starts for Le Havre last season including four in the last three league games of the campaign!

The 6’1” striker helped Normandy-based side to a fourth-placed finish in 2015-16; Le Havre finished their campaign ahead of the likes of Lens and Auxerre, but narrowly missed out on promotion to the top tier on goals scored as Metz clung on to the last Ligue 1 place despite Mendes scoring in a 5-0 final day win for Bob Bradley’s men.

Mendes now joins Jaap Stam’s ranks at Reading, adding fresh attacking talent to the new-look squad which is set to begin its pre-season friendly schedule at Boreham Wood on Saturday.

The former Grenoble and Le Mans frontman is expected to jet off to Holland at the start of next week as part of the Royals first team group set to embark on a pre-season training camp in Oosterbeek.

Chief Executive Nigel Howe said, “Joseph becomes our third signing of the summer so far and on behalf of the club, I would like to welcome him to Reading Football Club and wish him the very best of luck here at Madejski Stadium.”

I can't find this exciting.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jul 2016 23:32

Ian Royal
royalp-we CONFIMRED

I hope our scouts see something in him and he proves me wrong. But his stats don't lie and he has a poor strike rate for a striker. Hopefully we will sign another forward as well. If we don't then signing him is a big gamble (not financially but with our fate in the league). The id rather see us spend 2m on a striker who we know will get us 10-15 goals. Even Le Fondre back would be fine!

Jinx

by Jinx » 08 Jul 2016 23:35

Ian Royal
royalp-we CONFIMRED

Such a shame Ian, because he speaks very highly of you

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Joseph Mendes

by royalp-we » 09 Jul 2016 00:01

Looks pacey and can finish from the video EP has posted from last season. Over 6ft, quick, Like a French Afobe in a way...

He joins us off the back of an ok season; ligue 2 is not the champ but certainly isn't Sunday league standard as some allude to, some very good clubs over there. Hoping he can add to the mix and with kermorgant, Rakels, Samuel and get some competition for striking options going again.

Low risk, low key signing. There will be more players joining and jaap is obviously saving the pennies for later in the window :wink:

Bienvenue Joseph

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jul 2016 00:35

just what is this "undisclosed" shizzle that features in virtually every transaction

Sure as hell is another way of disenfranchising the fans

So what has this guy cost the club in straightforward transfer fee terms?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jul 2016 07:54

AthleticoSpizz just what is this "undisclosed" shizzle that features in virtually every transaction

Sure as hell is another way of disenfranchising the fans

So what has this guy cost the club in straightforward transfer fee terms?

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 09 Jul 2016 08:18

Pepe the Horseman At least we finally know who this is

Gladstone Small ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2016 09:39

Well that's our strikers all now in place :

Kermorgant
Rakels
Mendes
Samuel

Be interesting to see how Stam uses them.

Clues today with 3 of them perhaps....?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Jul 2016 10:11

If I had to guess right now I'd think Mendes, Rakels and McLeary would be sharing the 'wide forward' roles with Samuel or Kermorgant up the middle.

Not sure I like Rakels there though.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 09 Jul 2016 10:11

Vas-y Joe...

Vas-y fonce...

(with apologies to Vanessa Paradis)