BFTG - Wimbledon away (pre-season friendly)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Wimbledon away (pre-season friendly)

by Sutekh » 23 Jul 2016 17:32

I know it was only a friendly but having no match info is pretty poor nobbing (though not much worse than the bbc berks coverage)

Apparently Reading were crap though and barely tested the Wimbledon keeper and finally lost 2-0 with Habsi managing to concede the first within 8 seconds of the start so some change from the 7-0 stuffing we gave them last time we played a friendly with them

Tempted to say though that that is a good result as surely the management will have learned more than if it had just been another casual win.

If anyone went please post your views of the workout.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Wimbledon away (pre-season friendly)

by Ian Royal » 23 Jul 2016 17:56

Reading: Al-Habsi, Watson (Dickie 80), Obita, Cooper, McShane, Norwood (Evans 60), Van den Berg (Kelly 75), Williams, Fosu (Stacey 60), Swift (Quinn 60), Mendes (Rakels 60).
Unused subs: Jaakkola, Tanner, Jules.

That's a fairly strong line up. I know Norwood is only just back and there's no genuine senior right back... and I know it's not about the result... but still. That's disappointing. That seems to be two unconvincing performances in a row against League One opposition. :|

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Jul 2016 17:57

8 seconds? Our defence in fact lasted a whole 14 seconds before conceding.

That did set the tone for and incredibly lacklustre display, by a squad which again had a strong emphasis on youth. The worrying thing is that is was often the senior players who looked like they could barely be bothered playing in the heat.

Overall I'd say the scoreline did flatter Wimbledon, as the ball spent most of the time in their half. Our final ball was just dreadful time after time. It was the sort of performance you'd expect for an early July friendly, not one with just two weeks to go before the season starts.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Jul 2016 18:24

Why no Beerens or have I missed something.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Jul 2016 19:49

The same old problems were apparent, blunt attack, shit defence and a poor keeper. I really thought Stam would stop us leaking goals but if anything we are worse than last season. We really are relegation fodder.

On a positive note I though Swift looked like a really good player, he could be a star. It's hard to think of anything positive to say about the rest of the team, Williams still can't shoot, Obita still can't cross, Al Habsi should have done better with the second (through his legs from an impossible angle). I worry that Stam doesn't know what he's doing and what system he's trying to play, whatever it doesn't seem to be very effective or the players just can't be bothered.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jul 2016 20:19

PieEater The same old problems were apparent, blunt attack, shit defence and a poor keeper. I really thought Stam would stop us leaking goals but if anything we are worse than last season. We really are relegation fodder.

On a positive note I though Swift looked like a really good player, he could be a star. It's hard to think of anything positive to say about the rest of the team, Williams still can't shoot, Obita still can't cross, Al Habsi should have done better with the second (through his legs from an impossible angle). I worry that Stam doesn't know what he's doing and what system he's trying to play, whatever it doesn't seem to be very effective or the players just can't be bothered.

In fairness to Stam... the back five was the same as last season with the exception of Academy graduates at right back, so I'm not sure why you, or anyone else, would expect the defence to be much better than last season.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 23 Jul 2016 20:25

PieEater The same old problems were apparent, blunt attack, shit defence and a poor keeper. I really thought Stam would stop us leaking goals but if anything we are worse than last season. We really are relegation fodder.

He inherited a shit squad, going into a transfer window with no knowledge of said shit squad, had a few players forced on him by his agent/owners and was only given money to spend after Tish left.

Different manager same circumstances - did you expect anything different?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Jul 2016 20:31

Ian Royal

In fairness to Stam... the back five was the same as last season with the exception of Academy graduates at right back, so I'm not sure why you, or anyone else, would expect the defence to be much better than last season.

I dunno - coaching, training, Joey playing holding. And you contradicted yourself in that sentence - same - except, that exception had a major part in letting in the second goal.

Actually just oxf*rd off with you challenging other peoples opinions from the comfort of your couch, this thread is BFTG, I'm pretty sure that excludes you.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jul 2016 20:35

Classy. And a good argument, well presented.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 23 Jul 2016 21:44

I don't mind getting beaten in friendlies.

First the positives - Williams looked like he cared and although what he did wasn't always good, he really put in the effort. Fosu looked good (first time I've seen him). He was very difficult to get off the ball, but, having beaten his man on the outside, he almost invariably cut inside instead of crossing. Swift looked very useful indeed. Cooper looked better than he did last season. Quinn was good when he came on, as was Rackels. There was one incident when a very bad pass, by someone I didn't recognise, went past him and he ran full pelt to the corner flag to get it. There were probably others, but they've gone out of my mind.

The main negative was the total lack of urgency in the team. Possession football is OK as long as there's an end product. With few exceptions, there wasn't today. The first goal was reminiscent of last season with the defence just not knowing where they should be. The second goal came when McShane was mugged by the Womble bloke, and when the ball went in the net, he just sat there and laughed. That really isn't good enough, friendly or not. Compare that to a time when Williams chased a ball to the touchline, which he missed, and he kicked the advertising board in anger/frustration.

It wasn't the most exciting game, and I don't know really what I was expecting. Some real effort against a not bad Wimbledon team would probably have been enough. We did have a few efforts blocked by the defence, or saved by their keeper.

Can't go on Friday, so roll on PNE.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Jul 2016 22:24

Hmmm

Positives: Swift looked good, as did Fosu. Quinn looked sharp and up for it when he came on. Danny kept trying but end product a problem. As did Rakels, but the ball just wouldn't fall for him. He's a poacher, but he's also willing to work. There were actually a few decent moves, particularly second half - on another day some of the shots might have gone in.

Negatives:
Mendes was poor. Can't see what he adds - maybe that was just an off day.
Watson put in one good cross, one awful cross, and was a bit lightweight generally, also caught out of position a couple of times. Shows promise, but is not good enough yet. Obita was better, but was at least partly at fault for the first goal (along with Cooper, I thought). We desperately need some full-backs.
Coops still has that "will lose you a goal a game" tendency. As does Al-Habsi for that matter. Yeah, McShane didn't cover himself with glory for the second goal, but he still managed to squeeze their player into a very difficult angle for the shot, Al-Habsi should have done better with it

Other points:
Norwood was a bit off the pace - yes, he's only just back, but Quinn was so much sharper, so not sure how much of an excuse that was.
Van den Berg was OK. But not sure he and Norwood are a good pairing anyway - I'd play one or the other tbh
The younger players that came on second half - bit of a mixed bag - some good stuff, some awful stuff. I wouldn't want to be relying on them! Evans probably the best of them. To be fair to Liam Kelly, he didn't have much time to impress, as he only came on with about 15 minutes to go.
I know it was hot, but it was the same temperature for the Wombles! They were putting in a lot more effort in terms of pressing etc.
Decent supportive crowd and atmosphere (OK Jack Stacey got a fair number of groans, but he put in two awful awful balls in quick succession)
Maybe they needed a defeat - hope it triggers a reaction. Could see us getting slaughtered by Bournemouth though!

Crux

by Crux » 23 Jul 2016 22:30

muirinho Hmmm

Positives: Swift looked good, as did Fosu. Quinn looked sharp and up for it when he came on. Danny kept trying but end product a problem. As did Rakels, but the ball just wouldn't fall for him. He's a poacher, but he's also willing to work. There were actually a few decent moves, particularly second half - on another day some of the shots might have gone in.

Negatives:
Mendes was poor. Can't see what he adds - maybe that was just an off day.
Watson put in one good cross, one awful cross, and was a bit lightweight generally, also caught out of position a couple of times. Shows promise, but is not good enough yet. Obita was better, but was at least partly at fault for the first goal (along with Cooper, I thought). We desperately need some full-backs.
Coops still has that "will lose you a goal a game" tendency. As does Al-Habsi for that matter. Yeah, McShane didn't cover himself with glory for the second goal, but he still managed to squeeze their player into a very difficult angle for the shot, Al-Habsi should have done better with it

Other points:
Norwood was a bit off the pace - yes, he's only just back, but Quinn was so much sharper, so not sure how much of an excuse that was.
Van den Berg was OK. But not sure he and Norwood are a good pairing anyway - I'd play one or the other tbh
The younger players that came on second half - bit of a mixed bag - some good stuff, some awful stuff. I wouldn't want to be relying on them! Evans probably the best of them. To be fair to Liam Kelly, he didn't have much time to impress, as he only came on with about 15 minutes to go.
I know it was hot, but it was the same temperature for the Wombles! They were putting in a lot more effort in terms of pressing etc.
Decent supportive crowd and atmosphere (OK Jack Stacey got a fair number of groans, but he put in two awful awful balls in quick succession)
Maybe they needed a defeat - hope it triggers a reaction. Could see us getting slaughtered by Bournemouth though!

McShane was crucifying Cooper for the second goal. McShane was fcuking skinned :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jul 2016 22:33

Great asessment Mu.......thank you.......much appreciated

But for the others,

let's not get too worked up.....it was just another pre-season kick-about.......

In previous seasons they have counted for the square-root of f11ck-all for the season ahead.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 23 Jul 2016 23:20

And think it was Dickie with the two shit crosses in succession.....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jul 2016 23:26

In the last ten?

by One Beer is never enough. » 23 Jul 2016 23:40

AthleticoSpizz In the last ten?

Yes, but I may be wrong....

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Jul 2016 23:57

Dickie and Stacey look very similar to me, to be fair. So entirely possible. Especially given heat of evening, and quantity of pre-match beer consumed, and other such-like activities.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 24 Jul 2016 10:51

It was Dickie

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jul 2016 10:52

Ascotexgunner Why no Beerens or have I missed something.

Beerens not risked due to tight hamstring after recent training session. Expected to play v Bournemouth.

McCleary also absent due to slight calf strain.

Bond is out injured until after the start of the season.

Gunter due back to training on Monday.

Believe everyone else is fit.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 24 Jul 2016 11:18

I know it was hot but I was disappointed by the lack of energy and urgency given there are a lot of players playing for not that many places.

Mendes, van deb Berg both disappointed, SWift looked to be of interest - taller, faster, more involved version of Piazon.

But it was too much like last season - sloppy goals given away, sideways in midfield, little punch upfront. We are desperate for a goalscorer - ALF, Glen Murray types.

Crowd 1300 - about 300 from Reading.